You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Iron_Clad_5000

A Ship too Big for the Map, or (How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Jean Bart)

10 comments in this topic

Members
145 posts
7,812 battles

Is it possible for a battleship to be too big, have too much range with it's main guns? To date my only tier 9 ship is the Jean Bart. My issue is that on most maps the main guns range covers 2/3 to 3/4 of the total map. In many matches there is little reason to even leave the spawn point. Would love to hear from some of you upper tier BB skippers, "Is this a thing?", thanks.

[-K-]
Members
8,344 posts
14,130 battles
16 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Max range is not the same as the effective range. 

Exactly.  Just because a ship has 24+km of range, doesn't mean you're actually going to hit stuff from that was away.  Also note that penetration values suffer the further you're range is.  Good luck penetrating the citadel of any high tier battleship from 20km out with Jean Bart's 380mm guns.

This pretty much sums up why I never take the 6th slot range module on any high tier battleships.  As @Kapitan_Wuff mentioned, there's a big difference between max range and effective/useful range.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles
39 minutes ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Is it possible for a battleship to be too big, have too much range with it's main guns? To date my only tier 9 ship is the Jean Bart. My issue is that on most maps the main guns range covers 2/3 to 3/4 of the total map. In many matches there is little reason to even leave the spawn point. Would love to hear from some of you upper tier BB skippers, "Is this a thing?", thanks.

Can you capture base points without moving into them?  Can you shoot things you can't see and aren't spotted by your team?

No?

Then you have at least two reasons to move.

• Cool 3

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,660 battles

I like to take my range mod + spotter Yam and go to A10. Nobody can touch me and I can reach everywhere on the map. It's strange that I can't hit anything though; I think her accuracy needs a buff. 

• Funny 3

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles

There are multiple TT ships with more range than JB has, and range isn't what makes JB so strong, it's speed boost plus MBRB.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
37 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Exactly.  Just because a ship has 24+km of range, doesn't mean you're actually going to hit stuff from that was away.  Also note that penetration values suffer the further you're range is.  Good luck penetrating the citadel of any high tier battleship from 20km out with Jean Bart's 380mm guns.

This pretty much sums up why I never take the 6th slot range module on any high tier battleships.  As @Kapitan_Wuff mentioned, there's a big difference between max range and effective/useful range.

If you have 18 - 20 km range without them range modules are a waste. Now if you have less that 18 they become more useful particularly to keep firing on a retreating target

[HC]
Beta Testers
3,042 posts
12,725 battles
2 hours ago, Iron_Clad_5000 said:

Kongo, definitely Kongo. Intercontinental gun range, and she sees tiny maps. It will make you think you can actually hit something that far away. Also, her speed, on said tiny maps, means she can get into trouble faster than you think she can.

If you pop her spotter plane, and are somewhat near the middle of the map, her gun range will be, the entire map, the range circle will disappear. It also means that when you fire, you will likewise be spotted by anything with line of sight to you, which isn't much worse than her usual, "spotted from low earth orbit".

[INTEL]
Members
1,773 posts
15,690 battles
2 hours ago, pikohan said:

I like to take my range mod + spotter Yam and go to A10. Nobody can touch me and I can reach everywhere on the map. It's strange that I can't hit anything though; I think her accuracy needs a buff. 

You wouldnt happen to be playing the Monty a lot the past few days would you? Seems every Monty driver on my teams since Friday has been a fan of max range futility.