Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Research bureau, one player experience

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,388
Members
3,097 posts
12,268 battles

Decided to reset one split branch for “easy” two T10s grind, including one with x2 experience.  My reasoning was solid (or so I have thought): “I have nothing better to do”.  Boy was I wrong.  Anyway, played nothing but that branch all the way back to two T10s, took 3 weeks and one day.  Fun factor on scale of zero to ten is solid zero.  No boost signals or free XP was used along the way, since I am saving all that for THE last T10 regrind when we get next x2 bonus in a week or so.  I am seriously questioning by decision to start all this mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
851
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

Have you posted this before? I feel like I'm having a bit of deja vu here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
976
[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

I'd say the key to it is to pace yourself. You don't need to race. Just 1 daily win a day can often be enough. Do it with a line you enjoy, but don't necessarily like the T10 on. Do it over the course of months, whenever it strikes your mood, but don't force it. You aren't on a timer outside of getting a new x2 bonus every 3 months.

My pick was US CVs, my favorite line... till Midway. Hate those torps with a passion. Audacious does it better, and not even by a little. She's more like Lexington than Midway is, if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,498
[-K-]
Members
8,363 posts
14,175 battles

I ended up resetting the USN battleship line a few weeks ago, simply because I wanted to revisit that line.  It had been so long since I first worked through that line that it was actually pretty enjoyable to experience it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
350
[TX]
Members
1,101 posts
18,340 battles

Reset was better if you get (maybe):

More cpt point : 21 First  reset 23 second reset.

Ship buff: % about reload, conceal, manouver...etc etc

One more slot for for tier x legendary module....

.....not to get  bb..... or a cruiser.

For this is there coal or steel.

Imho

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
545
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles
6 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Decided to reset one split branch for “easy” two T10s grind, including one with x2 experience.  My reasoning was solid (or so I have thought): “I have nothing better to do”.  Boy was I wrong.  Anyway, played nothing but that branch all the way back to two T10s, took 3 weeks and one day.  Fun factor on scale of zero to ten is solid zero.  No boost signals or free XP was used along the way, since I am saving all that for THE last T10 regrind when we get next x2 bonus in a week or so.  I am seriously questioning by decision to start all this mess.

Why would you rush?  And why wouldn't you make it easier on yourself by using signals and free XP the internal modules?

Are you trying to burn out, 'cause this is how you burn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
545
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles
44 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I ended up resetting the USN battleship line a few weeks ago, simply because I wanted to revisit that line.  It had been so long since I first worked through that line that it was actually pretty enjoyable to experience it again.

Especially since some of the USN BB's got a bit of a buff.  South Carolina is certainly better than when I started playing her, as is the Colorado.  And the Iowa and Montana were made a bit sturdier with the lowering of their citadels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,129
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,467 posts
6,527 battles

I reset the USN BB branch.   I made it easily through running dailies using premium and some flags  during the time limit for 1st season. No free XP..  (I assume it resets in next day or two?)  20K research points for the dbl.   I'm in no hurry and will just do single line each season.  I ran through it quickly the last time thru that line and felt better about playing them this time, though still not confident in the line.    It was comfortable and not stressful in the least.   No regrets.  Probably going to reset one of the cruiser lines next season..   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,363 posts
1,286 battles

I reset a bunch of lines and grabbed the Ohio. Definitely not worth the effort for one ship. I hope WG abandons this idea, I'm not going to bother for any future RB releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,388
Members
3,097 posts
12,268 battles
7 hours ago, grumpymunky said:

Have you posted this before? I feel like I'm having a bit of deja vu here.

Nah.  What I posted was a question about this whole ordeal being worth it.  At some point in the middle of the grind I could have spend existing research points to buy out enough free XP to essentially cancel the grind and get T10s back with zero gain.  But I decided to stick to my guns and just finish regrind.

2 hours ago, Gasboy said:

Why would you rush?  And why wouldn't you make it easier on yourself by using signals and free XP the internal modules?

Are you trying to burn out, 'cause this is how you burn out.

Well, as far as the rush, I just wanted to get this over.  Otherwise it would have taken chunks of my time for months.  As far as signals and free XP, I only have enough of those for one single painless T10 grind.  Yes, I can grind one line really quick if I go out and commit all resources, but after that any next grind is going to be royal pain in the neck.  So I decided to save all the resources for my final T10 regrind.  You see, with 10k points they gave everyone from the start, you “only” need to regrind a minimum of three T10 lines if you time it to use x2 bonus on two out of the three.  I quoted “only” because for me regrind 3 T10s is appearing to be more time investment than I could imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
314
[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,039 battles

I had a similar thought of "well I've got nothing else to be doing" and I got drunk and reset 6 lines.  It was a massive mistake, especially because I am not particularly interested in either ship (though I'm more interested in the Colbert than the Ohio).  I figured T6/T7 would be fun and T8 would be the slog, but T7 became the new T8 in terms of uptiered MM while I was gone from the game so that hasn't been as fun as anticipated.  At this point, I just want to get my T10s back that I reset, and never do this again unless it's for a ship I know that I'm 100% bought into getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
545
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles
4 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Well, as far as the rush, I just wanted to get this over.  Otherwise it would have taken chunks of my time for months.  As far as signals and free XP, I only have enough of those for one single painless T10 grind.  Yes, I can grind one line really quick if I go out and commit all resources, but after that any next grind is going to be royal pain in the neck.  So I decided to save all the resources for my final T10 regrind.  You see, with 10k points they gave everyone from the start, you “only” need to regrind a minimum of three T10 lines if you time it to use x2 bonus on two out of the three.  I quoted “only” because for me regrind 3 T10s is appearing to be more time investment than I could imagine.

Yeah, but if you get a couple of containers a day, and choose the more consumables option, you should get a decent amount of flags.  Maybe not enough to last you the whole way, given.  But there are events coming up, where there are likely more flags to be given out.  By stretching out the grind, you could probably be fully flagged (the economy flags) much of the way.

EDIT: Or do a mix of coal and consumables.  You could use coal to get flags.  The upcoming new years thing with the snowflakes is a good example, for ships under tier 8, the snowflakes are worth coal.  A decent chunk of coal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,388
Members
3,097 posts
12,268 battles
3 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

I had a similar thought of "well I've got nothing else to be doing" and I got drunk and reset 6 lines

My condolences.  Unless you are mega whale that hoarded hundreds upon hundreds of special signals and camos, and accumulated quite a bit of extra silver to burn, you are going to very quickly burn out most of your resources. Regrinding T10 lines purely using premium time and no other boosts is major turn off and huge time sink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
314
[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,039 battles
3 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Unless you are mega whale that hoarded hundreds upon hundreds of special signals and camos, and accumulated quite a bit of extra silver to burn, you are going to very quickly burn out most of your resources

I honestly think part of the aim of RB is to burn off the baller flags and camos that people have.  I've been avoiding using mine until I get those lines back up to T8, but you're right, it eats through them pretty quickly if you use them the whole way.  I don't have that many left and try to conserve them to only use for T8-10.

Edited by Deviathan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,010
Members
2,439 posts
5,379 battles

When a game becomes a “JOB” it’s no longer a game for entertainment. Thats why my a$$ is staying away from that stupid regrind just to get 2 ships. Yall can have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
251
[DAS]
Members
974 posts
8,182 battles
3 hours ago, Mikebello said:

Reset was better if you get (maybe):

More cpt point : 21 First  reset 23 second reset.

Ship buff: % about reload, conceal, manouver...etc etc

One more slot for for tier x legendary module....

.....not to get  bb..... or a cruiser.

For this is there coal or steel.

Imho

If you were to get any buffs like those, you would create an unfair situation for the casual players who will never be able to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
515
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,158 posts
11,052 battles
15 hours ago, Mikebello said:

Reset was better if you get (maybe):

More cpt point : 21 First  reset 23 second reset.

Ship buff: % about reload, conceal, manouver...etc etc

One more slot for for tier x legendary module....

.....not to get  bb..... or a cruiser.

For this is there coal or steel.

Imho

NTC 1.0 was vehemently picketed and rallied a sizable negative response from the player base.  in summary as I saw it, Grinding more for ship buffs only increased the gap advantage between established players and new players. I very strongly believe NTC 1.0 would have killed the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,877
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,016 posts
22,581 battles
15 hours ago, Deviathan said:

I honestly think part of the aim of RB is to burn off the baller flags and camos that people have. 

Well said, I believe that this could very well be an underlying "benefit" to Wargaming that was considered in their decision. Probably not the overriding one, but most definitely something, someone thought of. Wargaming has mentioned several times before about draining the resources in the game including signals, camos, free xp, credits, and doubloons. IMHO they are hoping to generate some cash by forcing people to use what they have and spend real money to replace. It makes sense from a business perspective I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

I reground the DM line just to get enough FXP to get the Friesland. I will say it was the fastest way to get a fxp ship, however, would I keep doing this for the ships you can only get with NTC points...probably but not right now. It was kinda a painful experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,542
[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,154 battles

Please consider with the RB functionality, it is a long term offering/grind to receive a valuable reward.

We had received feedback concerning the number of short term high activity grinds, so we wanted to try a new approach to offering valuable rewards.

Personally I have reset a few of my lines, including my RN CLs, and I'm personally enjoying relearning and re-experiencing the lower tier ships.

That being said, its not for everyone, and that's alright, its up to each of you to decide whether the rewards are worth the effort it would take to get them.

Fem, 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,847
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Grinding without using FXP or signals or camos or anything? No wonder you're not enjoying it. You guys are doing it wrong.

WG wants you to buy gold, convert FXP, and skip up the reset lines.

That's the entire point of Research Bureau, and has been the point since it was first conceived.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,043
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,429 posts
15,926 battles

I reset 6 lines to get the Ohio. The key is take your time. I looked at this as a replay not a regrind. I had a lot of fun with it. Also my average commander skill points on these ships are much higher now particularly in the higher tiers.

If no other ships are added for the next season I will do this again for the Colbert. I will wait until after the snowflake event however.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145
[MHG]
Members
229 posts
16,959 battles

Same story if a new player decides to grind all available tech-tree ships to TX in a short time. The RB as has been previously discussed several times is something that is more ideal for folks who already have almost everything in the game. And it is advisable to do it in your own time, on a ship line you actually enjoy and play regularly anyways. The RB rewards are to be seen as something additional to already playing the said ships for fun 

It is an incentive to play after you have done most of what the game has to offer. Surely you can see that someone with everything ground out will reduce their play time and this incentivizes to play even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×