You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LGCaptain

Tips for a new CV player

8 comments in this topic

[USN]
Members
19 posts
274 battles

I just recently started playing CVs.  I'm pretty new to the game, as well.  I currently have the Langley, and find that I barely get any damage at all during matches.  Is there anything that you struggled with at first, that you have advice on how to conquer?  Thanks in advance.

[TF_64]
Members
11 posts
5,606 battles

Advance your Skipper's skills and learn how to lead your targets with the type aircraft you are flying at the time. generally start the game using attack aircraft and switch to torps after you have identified a suitable target. remember to assist teammates and to announce targets that they need to be aware of.  As a CV Skipper you have a view of the entire battle not just the immediate threat. Also learn how to use bombers.  Start your Torpedo runs approx 5 km and release at the last second. it will show seconds in the sighting track.

Edited by onegr8pony

[HINON]
Members
11,614 posts

Keep practicing and dont give up. It takes a while to even get the basic mechanics down pat as cvs are different. Never give up, never surrender.

Members
999 posts
5,794 battles

All CV's struggle to deal "alpha strike" damage since the CV-rework.

Instead of sinking a healthy ship with one salvo, a CV needs to hit a ship multiple times over the course of multiple strike sorties of aircraft.

Torpedoes are good for causing damage and flooding on large ships (BB's, CV's and Cruisers), and will cripple or sink a destroyer that has lost a portion of its' health (provided you can actually hit a DD with a torpedo, it is a challenge).
Bombs are HE type, so they're similar to HE projectiles.
Rockets are useful against DD's and soft-skinned targets, and may annoy or start a fire on any target.

All ordnance needs to be aimed properly and the "drop" needs to be timed so that it hits the target.
It takes time from "release" to travel to the target, so some leading-of-the-target is necessary.  Getting it right will require practice.

CV's are good at scouting the map and spotting targets, as long as the aircraft survive the AA fire.
Your teammates can hit a sneaky ship if they can see it.
If they can't hit it, your planes may be able to flush it out from a hiding place with torpedoes or bombs repeatedly dropped on it.  :-)

Use islands as "cover" to minimize the amount of AA fire your planes take.
Plan your flight paths and target approaches to maximize chance of a successful strike and to avoid or quickly get out of AA bubbles.

Don't park the ship at the back of the map.  This increases the time your planes require to fly to and from targets.
Get as close to the action as you can while preventing ships from hitting you with direct fire or spotting your ship.
Don't stop moving the CV.  Use the autopilot to put it into loops or rectangles or squares that let you keep the speed up and change your position to make you harder to locate.

DD's and CV's have a natural rivalry.  It is supposed to be friendly and polite, but yes, you'll do your darnedest to sink each other.  :-)

Take advantage of the tutorials and previous postings about playing a CV well.  There's plenty of good information available if you search for it.

CV's are good at finishing off ships low on health that are trying to get away from the direct fire of your teammates.  You can go over or around islands to perform a strike.

If the Langley isn't satisfying you, try the Hosho or the Hermes.  They perform differently and offer some variances you may appreciate.

Welcome to Aircraft Carriers.  Enjoy.  :-)

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,871 posts
11,114 battles

As mentioned, learn the mechanics. Learn how to use and  aim your rocket attack planes, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers. Learn to watch the mini map for your teams movements. Stay away from areas where you have no screening ships. A destroyer may slip through a unguarded flank and be within striking distance before you know it. Pick the right Captain skills for your ship. World of Warships Wiki page has good suggestions with a diagram.

Just keep practicing and don't get discouraged. The T4 CV's are highly dependent on their team. They provide screening and you provide spotting for them. You probably won't get a lot of damage on average, that will come later when you start advancing upwards into the Ranger, Lexington, and Midway if you choose to continue along the USN CV  line.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[USN]
Members
19 posts
274 battles

Thanks, everybody.  The CV lines seem like they go by pretty slowly, so I think I'm gonna focus on enjoying each ship, rather than rushing to the next.  Your tips will most definitely improve my experience with carriers.

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
Beta Testers
204 posts
8,992 battles

Spend an hour in the training room learning the mechanics of maneuvering and dropping on stationary and moving ships.  This is especially helpful for dive bombers.