Sign in to follow this  
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Lego old-timey steam locomotive

8 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,604 posts

Railroads have seen an end of an era around here as the local line has been all but abandoned. I haven't seen a train come through for years.  Now, everything, including hundreds of thousands of bushels of grain a year, is hauled out by semi-truck.

I'm old enough to remember when trains still had cabooses. Dad remembers when they were still fired by coal. I think that the cowcatchers went away in my Grandpa's day though with the end of the free range.

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
959 posts
3,331 battles

nice work mate! Curious to the need of a winch on the rear of the tender. Also, I see you're still using LDD, have you tried Bricklink Studio? Lxf files are compatable with the program although any changes you make will be saved in the file format Studio uses.

Gresley_Pacific5_2.png

Did this in Studio, it even includes a render engine

Edited by High_Admiral

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

I dunno. I'm go ingrained in my ways - I don't know how I'd like using a different program. Certainly, though, it's starting to suck not having access to the newer pieces. 

And it's not a winch - I think it's a hose, possibly for spraying down fires sparked from wood cinders.

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
959 posts
3,331 battles

Bricklink Studio also has access to the entire bricklink shop and you can order the parts pretty much directly from the program(with like one extra step in between, but its better than LDD which you can't) plus it gives you a price in the program as well as allows you to insert custom parts, like the drivers on my A3 which are Big Ben Bricks XL drivers. (link to BBB's website: http://www.bigbenbricks.com/ Great guy, awesome products, using the XLs on a PRR S1 that I'm slowly cobbling together irl)

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,604 posts

1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

And it's not a winch - I think it's a hose, possibly for spraying down fires sparked from wood cinders.

It's a steam-powered water pump with a long hose. Back in the wood-burning days, burning cinders could set the wood in the tender on fire, or even the cars themselves. Wooden buildings along the tracks also could easily burn. Trains still set fires along their tracks when the brakes seize up. When the local train here still ran they once started a fire that ended up burning quite a large area along the tracks. The fire even burned one of the few remaining wooden trellis railroad bridges.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,604 posts

I think that the hose may have also been used to top off the engine's water supply on long trips through dry areas too.

An interesting fact about that locomotive is that it only had the name J.W. Bowker for four months because the master mechanic it was named after became a drunk and was fired from the railroad. The engine was renamed Mexico.

Edited by Snargfargle

Sign in to follow this