You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Frigate007

New Italian Line

17 comments in this topic

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,193 battles

Don't use them, but for what I have seen in random this morning they need some buffs. Seems every match 3 or 4 are on one side, always the losing one. Or at least players should use them in co op first to get used to them and become effective? They make nice easy targets but from what Ive seen this am that's about it.

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles

Playing the Italian ships isn't boring.  ;-)

They're like jumbo-sized DD's.  
The SAP is good on soft targets (DD's, CA's and CV's).
The torpedoes are needed to quickly sink BB's.

They're not the HE-spamming cruisers.  They don't have heavy armor.  They're fast and turn well.

They require a "spicy" play style.
Good luck and enjoy your own.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles

The Trento and Zara are quite good in my eyes. The ship that desperately needs a RoF buff is the Raimondo Montecuccoli which has the RoF of the 152 mm/53 OTO 1926 of four rounds per minute when she has the 152 mm/53 OTO 1929 which has a RoF of 5 to 8 rounds per minute which seems to vary depending on the mounting. While I am not certain I think the difference between the 26 & 29's RoF is the 26 has to lower the guns to reload while the 29 does not. The Genova sadly has an accurate RoF

@Wolfswetpaws, At least for the CA's I would consider using AP on broadside cruisers and on CV's as the AP can get citadels which is the fastest way to put a CV down although this does become more of an issue with the high tier CV's that have pretty good deck armor.

Raimondo Montecuccoli

xs4xqzhzj5f21.jpg

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

The Trento and Zara are quite good in my eyes. The ship that desperately needs a RoF buff is the Raimondo Montecuccoli which has the RoF of the 152 mm/53 OTO 1926 of four rounds per minute when she has the 152 mm/53 OTO 1929 which has a RoF of 5 to 8 rounds per minute which seems to vary depending on the mounting. While I am not certain I think the difference between the 26 & 29's RoF is the 26 has to lower the guns to reload while the 29 does not. The Genova sadly has an accurate RoF

@Wolfswetpaws, At least for the CA's I would consider using AP on broadside cruisers and on CV's as the AP can get citadels which is the fastest way to put a CV down although this does become more of an issue with the high tier CV's that have pretty good deck armor.

Raimondo Montecuccoli

I'd like to see one more torpedo tube per launcher, giving Raimondo Montecuccoli a 2x3 arrangement instead of the 2x2 it currently has.

But, if the rates of fire on the main guns are historically accurate, I won't complain.  Same for the torpedoes.

If that is how Italy built the ship, then that is how I'd prefer to sail it.

That concept is something I'd like to see applied to all WOWs ships. 
But, as we know, there are variances in WOWs configurations versus historical configurations of ships.  :-)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'd like to see one more torpedo tube per launcher, giving Raimondo Montecuccoli a 2x3 arrangement instead of the 2x2 it currently has.

But, if the rates of fire on the main guns are historically accurate, I won't complain.  Same for the torpedoes.

If that is how Italy built the ship, then that is how I'd prefer to sail it.

That concept is something I'd like to see applied to all WOWs ships. 
But, as we know, there are variances in WOWs configurations versus historical configurations of ships.  :-)

They are only accurate for the 152 mm/53 OTO 1926, four rounds per minute, but she was built with the 152 mm/53 OTO 1929, five to eight rounds per minute. Any way you look at it a 14 second reload kills a light cruiser that relies on fast firing to compete against a heavy cruiser.

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They are only accurate for the 152 mm/53 OTO 1926, four rounds per minute, but she was built with the 152 mm/53 OTO 1929, five to eight rounds per minute. Any way you look at it a 14 second reload kills a light cruiser that relies on fast firing to compete against a heavy cruiser.

Sounds like a great opportunity to offer a Repair Party/heal slot in the consumables module of the ship, eh?
One can hope.

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles

Trento is not terrible, but there are way better options at that tier. Genova is garbage. Pure, smelly, rat infested garbage. Undeniable proof that Russia hates the Italians.

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,786 battles

I would not necessarily tell someone to "not use them", they are a new line and adjustments in the future are to be expected. Currently, I have the Genova and the Montecululuio in port. These two ships do seem to be made of a particularly poor piece of paper, but they are honestly no more fragile than an Omaha. The Omaha does have an advantage with HE though. SAP is frustrating, but if used effectively can really BLAP a DD into the next game. I agree with your complaints on reload time, but the furry taco has the same issue. I really like the torps in the Genova. I am not sure why, but they just click better with me, most likely due to the firing angles coupled with the agility of the ship.

I dread taking my two out of port right now, but I hope that things will get better in the future. 

WG was nice enough to drop me combat missions for both the Trento and the Zara this morning, so maybe these will change my opinion.4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles
1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Sounds like a great opportunity to offer a Repair Party/heal slot in the consumables module of the ship, eh?
One can hope.

I can understand reducing the RoF for balance reasons but the way it is now any other tier 5 CL will win most of the time one vs one against the Raimondo Montecuccoli.

[G0ATS]
Members
352 posts
9,512 battles

italian ships are boring and not fun to play because the SAP rounds bounce or non pen too often, so you getting 9 out of 10 shots, 4-5 non pen or bounce, and with dispersion you may hit and pen 1-2 rounds which gives ya 1-2k damage, once in a while against a noob giving broadside you may hit 5k damage but thats far and few in between.

even in a good game the italian ship not fun because to get 50-100k damage in em, you were doing it in 1-2k increments.  ya you may get the odd ball that likes that kinda play but for vast majority will find the italian cruisers not fun to play.

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, Supertester
946 posts
13,265 battles

I have only really dabbled with the Zara, and have found this boat to be excellent.

Use your spotter plane on long range broadside targets to get that easy damage in.

The SAP ruins DDs and even cruisers that are not careful. Battleships that show side as well can be punished.

My issue with the SAP is mid to late game, when enemy vessels have had damage areas saturated, the SAP return is diminished or even players bow in as well to reduce the SAP output. 

The Italian line is not a lone wolf vessel, it need support, albeit HE support or tanking from other vessels if the enemy pushes. They are fun to play, but with the common release of these boats, I can imagine the dislike that will be visited upon the forums or other media platforms.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles

I upgraded my Montecuccoli with a Captain's Skill, Torpedo Armament Expertise, and the reduction in torpedo reload times is nice.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
5,407 posts
10,457 battles
2 hours ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

italian ships are boring and not fun to play because the SAP rounds bounce or non pen too often, so you getting 9 out of 10 shots, 4-5 non pen or bounce, and with dispersion you may hit and pen 1-2 rounds which gives ya 1-2k damage, once in a while against a noob giving broadside you may hit 5k damage but thats far and few in between.

even in a good game the italian ship not fun because to get 50-100k damage in em, you were doing it in 1-2k increments.  ya you may get the odd ball that likes that kinda play but for vast majority will find the italian cruisers not fun to play.

Use the torpedoes for additional damage.  :-)

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,130 battles

I have the tier V and the tier VII and I gotta say that they are painful to play, even in coop.

The SAP seems okay, but the AP is just garbage. I just played a game (coop) in my tier VII and I couldn't do any damage against a Helena giving me a perfect broadside 5 km away with AP.

[TRW]
Beta Testers
172 posts
18,678 battles

Well call me crazy but I like them and do well in them.

Trento 23 Battles , 57% win rate average damage 32,300 , best damage 70,127

Zara 10 battles only, 70% win rate 34,000 damage, best 93,357

Amalfi 25 battles 52% win rate, 44,000 damage ave. , best 88,000 ( most of these pulled into tier 9 and 10 fights)

I have no problem with using SAP rounds and by the time you get the tier 8 the shell velocity and accuracy of the guns means you can annoy any ship.

Great DD hunters early game due to speed and SAP, but need to support your DD's and if BBs or heavy cruisers start focussing on you , pop smoke and live to fight another day. The smoke is a get out of jail card, not a sit in a shoot, go dark.

Late game i play it like my Henry the 4th and Zao and chip away at the big guns. Even though the torps are slow that can be an advantage as it catches BBs unaware as they arrive way after you launch them.

It is worth noting you wont rack up the damage like some cruisers but remember your primary function , that is DD elimination as a light cruiser you will do well. The ships also kite well in my opinion , one fight held off a push on my own being chased by 3 higher tier ships, using smoke torps and speed whilst the team stomped the other flank then came to support, just dont try and fight outnumbered by pushing in.

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,045 battles

Zara 15 battles

Average battle values Player              Server
Destroyed warships 1.33
Damage 56 024
 11 174
44 850
Aircraft Destroyed 0.73
Win rate 33.33%
 20.05%
53.38%

Trento Tier 6, 6 battles
Destroyed warships 0.56
Damage 42 454
 12 907
29 547
Aircraft Destroyed 2.67
Win rate 55.56%
 6.09%
49.47%

I don't think they are all that bad, they turn fast. AP not bad. I do not like the tier 5 ships unless they are in my viewfinder, they blow up like the omaha.

Actually at this point I like the zara. One thing keep them dancing.

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,811 battles

italian cruiser line for me are garbage simply put they dont have a benefit compared to any other cruiser line.

in my humble yet low skill level opinion just play the zao line, better in every way