You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
alan1184

British 8 inch (203MM) gun Heavy Crusiers

28 comments in this topic

[-NAM-]
[-NAM-]
Members
11 posts
12,648 battles

I have been wondering when we will see the Brits 8 inch heavy crusiers like the County class (Norfolk, Kent and Suffolk). I was hoping to see these prior to the Italians I suppose. Just a general question.

Thanks

Alan1184

[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles

The British cruisers have their own chapter in Developers' Corner. The basic shape and prototype stats were announced there. However, they haven't even entered open testing with community contributors and supertesters yet, so I'd be inclined to guess sometime in the first half of 2020. 

Just be aware that because of Britain's inability to afford heavy cruiser construction just preceding and during WW2, most of the line from Tier 8 on up is either unbuilt blueprints or extrapolation from early design studies.

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,888 battles

I'm not aware of any other line of ships that's been announced, so I'm left thinking that the RN CA's just might be the tech tree line to follow the Italian CAs.

[DJL]
Members
212 posts
6,644 battles

If the  Italian cruisers are anything to go off of I would keep my hope and expectations very low for the class til they come out.

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,222 battles

You have the premium Exeter at t5 to wet your whistle. It needs faster reload though to be truly a fun ship. Hope they speed it up on the higher tier versions. Exeter should be at 12 seconds max, a t6 10 seconds, t7  9 seconds, t8 8 seconds and so on and so forth. With no smoke or radar 15 seconds can feel like an internity. I do hope they retain torps and Torp angles along with aircraft ( make mine a spotter).

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles

It will be hilarious to see what gimmicked up ways the RN CA Line is going to be like.  Seeing what's happened to the Italian Cruiser Line... Yeesh...  RN CAs can't be any worse than the Italians.

... Or can they?

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-N-]
Members
263 posts
15,727 battles
1 hour ago, Frigate007 said:

You have the premium Exeter at t5 to wet your whistle. It needs faster reload though to be truly a fun ship. Hope they speed it up on the higher tier versions. Exeter should be at 12 seconds max, a t6 10 seconds, t7  9 seconds, t8 8 seconds and so on and so forth. With no smoke or radar 15 seconds can feel like an internity. I do hope they retain torps and Torp angles along with aircraft ( make mine a spotter).

15 seconds is a pain to work with. But Exeter has other strong points that help with this; her heal, her stealth, her agility all make her a formidable foe. Provided you have a 10 point captain with concealment expert.

2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It will be hilarious to see what gimmicked up ways the RN CA Line is going to be like.  Seeing what's happened to the Italian Cruiser Line... Yeesh...  RN CAs can't be any worse than the Italians.

... Or can they?

Did you see the most recent Dev Blog post about the British heavies? The T7-T10 all got at least three seconds added to their reload times; Goliath now reloads in 17 seconds! That's Premium battlecruiser reload times, and I hope that it gets changed after testing. Maybe even before testing.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles
19 minutes ago, Nine_Lives_ said:

Did you see the most recent Dev Blog post about the British heavies? The T7-T10 all got at least three seconds added to their reload times; Goliath now reloads in 17 seconds! That's Premium battlecruiser reload times, and I hope that it gets changed after testing. Maybe even before testing.

I have't followed that blog in a little bit.  As long as other values such as gunnery and the shells themselves are worthy tradeoffs, it may be fine still.

For example, Amalfi in Tier VIII ITA Cruisers, most things about her are fine, even the slightly longer reload time.  She actually has fantastic shell arcs and shell velocity.  But it's all thrown out the window because of how bad SAP is.  If she had regular HE / AP shell selection, she'd actually be quite good.

But then again I have't looked at the early RN CA values because I know it's going to change a lot.

The Tier IX Battlecruisers are around the 20 seconds mark.  ITA CAs go from around 16-20 seconds, though IX gets 12 guns and X gets 15.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles

Here is the Dev Blog post introducing UK CAs

Here is the Dev blog with main gun reload changes to the T8+ UK CAs.

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,195 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

... Or can they?

Yes they can....The Russians (read WG) hate to be reminded that the RN shed tons of blood on Arctic convoys keeping them supplied with materiel the Brits themselves could have used.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,146 posts
16,403 battles

Well not prior to the italians if you meant Italian cruisers because many of us have early access to the tier 5- t8 ones you can get in the italian cruiser containers and I don't think the STrs have them in their live acc's ports to test out yet.

Did you happen to meant prior to italian BBs or DDs instead? 

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
18 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Here is the Dev Blog post introducing UK CAs

Here is the Dev blog with main gun reload changes to the T8+ UK CAs.

T8 Bedford is renamed to Albemarle

Also Cheshire is to be a variant of the T8 CA Albemarle with 234mm guns.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Also Cheshire is to be a variant of the T8 CA Albemarle with 234mm guns.

O.O  Yes please.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
20 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

... Or can they?

They already announced it; they get HE + AP, Heals from T5, up (and reasonably high quality at T9/T10) and oversized guns at T8+ (9.2") and the RN DD Sonar (long lasting, short-ish range). IMO the posted stats so far suggests they are going to be a meh line because of gimped RoF and severely gimped range (some of the CA's are lower ranged than their at tier RN CL cousin).

Edited by _RC1138

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,940 battles

I take Exeter out almost every day, both because she is a fun ship and because..well...she's the Exeter!  Nice ship.  Unique ship.  Yeah...the re-load is something one must work with, but man that AP hits hard, especially cruisers.  Even BBs are vulnerable.  And her AA is very good at tier.  Shreds T4 planes and can do a good number on T6 planes as well.  Nice torp arcs.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles
On 11/10/2019 at 6:32 PM, Rolkatsuki said:

I don't think the STrs have them in their live acc's ports to test out yet.

They will as of tomorrow. Check patch notes.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, Nine_Lives_ said:

The T7-T10 all got at least three seconds added to their reload times; Goliath now reloads in 17 seconds! That's Premium battlecruiser reload times, and I hope that it gets changed after testing. Maybe even before testing.

This is going to be the first round. I suspect they want to start nerfed and work up to balance, rather than get everyone's hopes up with a first round of supertest/CC reports which acclaim the ships as unstoppable killing machines which everyone will want... and nobody gets because they detune them before release.

The British destroyers were almost a disaster on release, but they made two important last-minute changes; they baked in sparkling acceleration and speed retention in turns, and they shifted the torpedo spread options from single/wide to single/narrow.

0.8.10 is Part 2 of Italians, 0.8.11 is the Christmas event (which will be seven weeks; either a long patch or a very short 0.8.12 that includes the second half).

0.9.0 overlaps Chinese New Year.

That's enough time to have them ready if all goes well; 8.10 for early balance testing, 8.11 to make major adjustments, 0.9.0 to retest after that.

My wild guess? Expect the British cruiser early-release event in 0.9.1 with full release in 0.9.2. I might be travelling for this one, but my trusty laptop can travel with me... and if all else fails, I have enough XP on either Danae or Emerald (whichever is the branchpoint) to unlock any possible Tier 5 cruiser immediately.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
On 11/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

... Or can they?

HE only ships whose shells only do 50 damage, but have an 80% fire chance.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles
4 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

HE only ships whose shells only do 50 damage, but have an 80% fire chance.

Remember that all probability distributions never include unity. 80% fire chance is still 20% chance of no BBQ, and every shell is its own independent event. 

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They will as of tomorrow. Check patch notes.

This is going to be the first round. I suspect they want to start nerfed and work up to balance, rather than get everyone's hopes up with a first round of supertest/CC reports which acclaim the ships as unstoppable killing machines which everyone will want... and nobody gets because they detune them before release.

The British destroyers were almost a disaster on release, but they made two important last-minute changes; they baked in sparkling acceleration and speed retention in turns, and they shifted the torpedo spread options from single/wide to single/narrow.

0.8.10 is Part 2 of Italians, 0.8.11 is the Christmas event (which will be seven weeks; either a long patch or a very short 0.8.12 that includes the second half).

0.9.0 overlaps Chinese New Year.

That's enough time to have them ready if all goes well; 8.10 for early balance testing, 8.11 to make major adjustments, 0.9.0 to retest after that.

My wild guess? Expect the British cruiser early-release event in 0.9.1 with full release in 0.9.2. I might be travelling for this one, but my trusty laptop can travel with me... and if all else fails, I have enough XP on either Danae or Emerald (whichever is the branchpoint) to unlock any possible Tier 5 cruiser immediately.

Almost certainly Danae as every other line split has been from one tier down. So with T5 Hawkins as the first CA, the line split should likely be Danae.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles
On 11/11/2019 at 7:59 AM, _RC1138 said:

They already announced it; they get HE + AP, Heals from T5, up (and reasonably high quality at T9/T10) and oversized guns at T8+ (9.2") and the RN DD Sonar (long lasting, short-ish range). IMO the posted stats so far suggests they are going to be a meh line because of gimped RoF and severely gimped range (some of the CA's are lower ranged than their at tier RN CL cousin).

It will be interesting to see shape up.

RN CL Line had an interesting development history :Smile_veryhappy:

On release, RN CL Players' Emotional Progress: :Smile_coin::Smile_ohmy::Smile_Default::Smile_trollface::Smile_sad::Smile_veryhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles
3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Almost certainly Danae as every other line split has been from one tier down. So with T5 Hawkins as the first CA, the line split should likely be Danae.

True; just saying I've got all the bases covered.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,664 posts
14,756 battles

Ironically with the Hawkins toting 7.5in guns, and the T9 and T10 going to the 9.2in guns, there are only 3 tree 8in cruisers.