You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xtermin8r69

AA Priority sector not working for some DD"s

15 comments in this topic

[SC]
Beta Testers
78 posts
10,188 battles

Is there some reason why on certain DD's like the Grozovoi when you select a sector it immediately goes to cool down now? 

Here's a gif of me selecting a sector.

animated.GIF

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
247 posts
8,202 battles

Do you have manual AA captain skill? Looks kind of like what happens when you have that skill.

[SC]
Beta Testers
78 posts
10,188 battles
1 hour ago, Drago25x said:

Do you have manual AA captain skill? Looks kind of like what happens when you have that skill.

Damn your right.  I forgot they changed that. So does priority sector not do anything when you have massive aa?

Together with the priority AA sector, we’ve also reworked the "Manual Fire Control for AA Armament" Commander skill, which has been renamed to "Massive AA Fire." Now, this skill will increase instantaneous damage while completely neutralizing both the adverse and positive effects of AA sector reinforcement on continuous damage. At the same time, the cooldown period before the next possible activation of the priority AA sector will become longer than for those without this skill. This change will allow ships with weak AA defenses to defend themselves against enemy aviation, and cause significant instantaneous damage when their Commanders have the "Massive AA Fire" skill researched.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,445 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, xtermin8r69 said:

Damn your right.  I forgot they changed that. So does priority sector not do anything when you have massive aa?

Together with the priority AA sector, we’ve also reworked the "Manual Fire Control for AA Armament" Commander skill, which has been renamed to "Massive AA Fire." Now, this skill will increase instantaneous damage while completely neutralizing both the adverse and positive effects of AA sector reinforcement on continuous damage. At the same time, the cooldown period before the next possible activation of the priority AA sector will become longer than for those without this skill. This change will allow ships with weak AA defenses to defend themselves against enemy aviation, and cause significant instantaneous damage when their Commanders have the "Massive AA Fire" skill researched.

It does help ships with weak AA but for others it actually hurts the DPS. I found out that I have one captain that still has that on a ship that it does not help.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
3 hours ago, xtermin8r69 said:

With the skill, it removes the AA buff from focusing sector, but doubles the 3.5% damage to all planes, if memory serves.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
2 hours ago, xtermin8r69 said:

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

It does help ships with weak AA but for others it actually hurts the DPS. I found out that I have one captain that still has that on a ship that it does not help.

Cmdr skill wiki https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Massive_AA_Fire

AA fire wiki https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Anti-Aircraft_Fire#Massive_AA_Fire

Post referenced in the wiki https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/195179-st-priority-air-defense-sector/

So if you have MAAF, you get instant damage of 6% to 10% of the squadron's current HP, instead of 3% to 5% instant damage without MAAF. Your Sectors stay 100%/100% instead of 135%/65% or 150%/50%.

Note, for DDs the 135% is only for 5s of the 10s that the priority sector buff runs. For CL/CAs the 150% is only for 5s of the 10s that the priority sector buff runs. For BBs and CVs, the 135% is only for 10s of the 15s that the priority sector buff runs.

Examples.

This will use Enterprise Torp bombers with skills and modules to boost speed and HP. Each plane has 2,150 HP, there are 9 planes in a squadron (19,350 HP).

The ship will be the Prinz Eugen with Short-range AA (20mm, range 0.1km to 2km), Mid-range AA (40mm, range 0.1km to  3.5km) and Long-range AA (105mm, 0.1km to 5.2km) . The Short range DPS is 80.8 (85% of 95), Mid-range DPS is 217.8 (90% of 242) and the Long-range is 110.7 (90% of 123). Flak bursts will not be covered, assume the CV player flew around them as they only cover from 3.5km to 5.2km from the ship.

We are going with the planes flying straight across the 5.2km diameter of the Eugen, which based on training room tests, takes approximately 24 seconds. You can't use the knots listed for the planes nor ships as the distances traveled in game do not match the listed speeds. I am assuming fractional times in the AA aura count. AFAIK, it has not been stated if AA only hits on the second mark or in some fractions of a second. I will use 1/100th of a second ticks for simplicity. I'm not sure if damage carries to the next plane immediately or if it waits until the next tick to start damaging the next plane. I will carry over immediately for simplicity.

The AA guns are loaded from an earlier attack in each scenario, since I can not find the reload times for the Eugen's AA guns. The planes will be boosted across the whole range of the AA.

Base AA

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. The DPS is applied to the last plane in the squadron, so it takes 433.9 damage and has 1,716.1 HP left.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. The last plane takes 1,136.6 damage and has 579.5 HP left.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly to within 0.1km of the ship. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 1,792.7 damage done which kills the last plane and does 1,214.2 damage to the new last plane, leaving 938.8 HP.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly from within 0.1km of the ship to the edge of the Short-range AA at 2km. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 1,792.7 damage done which kills the last plane and does 855.9 damage to the new last plane, leaving 1,294.1 HP.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring to the outer edge at 3.5km. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. The last plane takes 1,136.6 damage and has 157.5 HP left.

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. There is 433.9 damage which kills the last plane and 276.4 damage is done to the new last plane which has 1,873.6 HP left.

3 kills and one with 87.1% HP left

AA with Priority Sector used once

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. The Eugen player times the Priority Sector to start 1/100th of a second after the squadron enters the AA bubble. The DPS is applied to the last plane in the squadron, so it takes 677.2 instant damage (19,348.9 * 3.5%), another 520.3 damage from the ramp up, for a total of 1,197.5 damage and has 952.5 HP left.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. The last plane takes 513.2 damage from the ramp up, another 1,167.9 damage and is killed. The new last plane takes 728.6 damage and has 1,421.4 HP left.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly to within 0.1km of the ship. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 1614.8 damage done until the Priority ends which kills the last plane and does 1,268.9 damage to the new last plane, leaving 881.1 HP.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly from within 0.1km of the ship to the edge of the Short-range AA at 2km. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 1,792.7 damage done which kills the last plane and does 911.6 damage to the new last plane, leaving 1,238.4 HP.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring to the outer edge at 3.5km. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. The last plane takes 1,136.6 damage and has 101.8 HP left.

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. There is 433.9 damage which kills the last plane and 332.1 damage is done to the new last plane which has 1,817.9 HP left.

4 kills and one with 84.5% HP left

AA with Priority Sector used once and MAAF

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. The Eugen player times the Priority Sector to start 1/100th of a second after the squadron enters the AA bubble. The DPS is applied to the last plane in the squadron, so it takes 1,354.4 instant damage, 433.9 continuous damage and has 361.7 HP left.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. There is 1,136.6 damage which kills the last plane and the new last plane  has 1,375.1 HP left.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly to within 0.1km of the ship. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 1,792.7 damage done which kills the last plane and does 417.6 damage to the new last plane, leaving 1,211.2 HP.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly from within 0.1km of the ship to the edge of the Short-range AA at 2km. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 1,792.7 damage done which kills the last plane and does 581.5 damage to the new last plane, leaving 1,568.5 HP.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring to the outer edge at 3.5km. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. The last plane takes 1,136.6 damage and has 431.9 HP left.

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. There is 433.9 damage which kills the last plane and 2 damage is done to the new last plane which has 2,148 HP left.

4 kills and one with 99.9% HP left

AA with Priority Sector used once and DFAA running when the planes reach AA bubble

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. The Eugen player times the Priority Sector to start 1/100th of a second after the squadron enters the AA bubble. The DPS is applied to the last plane in the squadron, so it takes 1,354.4 instant damage (19,348.9 * 3.5%), another 780.5 damage from the ramp up, for a total of 2,134.9 damage and has 15.1 HP left.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. The last plane takes 769.8 damage from the ramp up, another 1,751.9 damage and is killed. The new last plane takes 2,506.6 damage and is killed. The new new last plane takes 356.6 damage and has 1,793.4 HP left.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly to within 0.1km of the ship. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 2,422.2 damage done until the Priority ends which kills the last plane and does 1,703.3 damage to the new last plane which leaves 446.7 HP.

The squadron takes 4.38s to fly from within 0.1km of the ship to the edge of the Short-range AA at 2km. All of the continuous AA guns overlap in this ring. There is 2,689.3 damage done which kills the last plane and and the new last plane. There is 92.6 damage to the new new last plane leaving 2,057.4 HP.

The squadron takes 3.46s to fly across the Mid-range AA ring to the outer edge at 3.5km. Long-range AA overlaps this ring. There is 1,705.1 damage done which leaves 352.3 HP left on the last plane.

The squadron takes 3.92s to fly across the Long-range AA only outer ring. The last plane takes 651.1 damage which kills it. The new last plane takes 298.8 damage, leaving 1,851.2 HP left.

6 kills and one with 86.1% HP left

Cruiser Priority Sector runs for 10 secs with a 10 sec cooldown, so takes up 20 seconds total. I'm not doing the other 4 seconds for a second Priority sector as the planes leave.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,816 posts
4,631 battles

@Kizarvexis

It's very impressive that you could put together a timed illustration.  Well done!

3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

AFAIK, it has not been stated if AA only hits on the second mark or in some fractions of a second.

WG has acknowledged subdividing seconds (ticks).  From the damage numbers displayed in the UI, I'd guess ticks are no greater than 1/t0 second.

3 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

I'm not sure if damage carries to the next plane immediately

It does not.  Excess damage at the tick level is lost.  A few points, so no big deal.

Edited by iDuckman

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

@Kizarvexis

It's very impressive that you could put together a timed illustration.  Well done!

WG has acknowledged subdividing seconds (ticks).  From the damage numbers displayed in the UI, I'd guess ticks are no greater than 1/t0 second.

It does not.  Excess damage at the tick level is lost.  A few points, so no big deal.

Shiny. I'm not going to change the post tho. It took WAY too long.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
15 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Please check out the new Smoke Screens article and let me know what you think.

I would add Stats to the end of Smoke Generators of the World so people know to click on it. :)

In this part

The vision obscuring effect is not absolute; within the assured detection range ships detect each other without regard to LoS. The range is typically 2.0km but can be increased. There are also counters to smoke. See below.

I would mention that firing increases the detection range and cover the specifics elsewhere.

I would add 'based on commander skills, modules installed and/or nation statistics.' to the end of All smoke screens have the same concealment effect but can vary widely in other characteristics.

There is not anything on the breaking line of sight bug that is going to become a feature. You know the dart into smoke and have 2 more sec of visibility before vanishing. That feature happens on Wed on 8.10 I believe. Or has already happened. I didn't notice.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,816 posts
4,631 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

There is not anything on the breaking line of sight bug that is going to become a feature. You know the dart into smoke and have 2 more sec of visibility before vanishing. That feature happens on Wed on 8.10 I believe. Or has already happened. I didn't notice.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the effect of that new rule will be.  I'll incorporate it when I understand it.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
19 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the effect of that new rule will be.  I'll incorporate it when I understand it.

When you break LoS behind an island, smoke, etc, you continue to be seen for 2 seconds before you vanish.

For those just on the edge of the detection range, if you are spotted, you have a minimum of 2 seconds of being spotted before you can vanish. So no more shooting and getting out of detection range to vanish in less than a second.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,816 posts
4,631 battles

Smoke breaks LoS.  A strict interpretation would allow ships to be spotted in smoke for a maximum of 2 seconds, but that can't be what the rule means.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
11 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Smoke breaks LoS.  A strict interpretation would allow ships to be spotted in smoke for a maximum of 2 seconds, but that can't be what the rule means.

If you fire and then drive into smoke, as long as the reds are outside your smoke firing range, you vanish after 2 seconds of breaking contact. 

Roma has a 13.7km smoke detect range. Roma fires and ducks into smoke. If there is a ship within 13.7km of Roma that can still see Roma (smoke doesn't count), then Roma stays visible. If the reds are more than 13.7km away from Roma in the smoke, then Roma vanishes after 2 seconds of entering the smoke.