You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
amoncz

Research Bureau not good enough rewards

34 comments in this topic

[SOTHS]
Members
65 posts
7,569 battles

is just very boring. WG promised special stuff, items, camos and so far is 2 ships and nothing else is worth to mention. It takes lot's of time, camos, flags, money and i can't see rewards good enough. I spend every line reset at least 40M for ships, doublons, 100's of flags/camos to be able acomplish that little faster. We need some selection,much better rewards. Otherwise all this was terrible idea.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Members
1,072 posts

So don't do any lines. 

They were going to offer better/different rewards, but the playerbase had a complete hissy fit, so they changed the rewards.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

Members
1,092 posts
5 minutes ago, amoncz said:

is just very boring. WG promised special stuff, items, camos and so far is 2 ships and nothing else is worth to mention. It takes lot's of time, camos, flags, money and i can't see rewards good enough. I spend every line reset at least 40M for ships, doublons, 100's of flags/camos to be able acomplish that little faster. We need some selection,much better rewards. Otherwise all this was terrible idea.

I will send your saviour

sf4D8yr.gif

[-KAK-]
Members
584 posts
10,900 battles

It was a bad idea from the start. Giving players who could afford to spend countless hours on the game major combat advantages is foolish if you want to maintain the game's population.

Frankly though, if it's such a waste of credits, dubloons, camos and signals for such minimal rewards as you see it, Why on earth are you still doing it? 

The reward center is still a few months old - It'll take a while for it to be as grand as they promised. Look at things like coal or steel when they started out. If the potential's still not enough.... Um... stop resetting lines?

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
[YARRR]
Members
256 posts
5,401 battles

I actually don't mind it at all. I've just been reseting USN BBs and it's been surprisingly pleasant and not grindy. Probably a week or two out from grabbing the Ohio. 

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,031 battles

Seem okay to me.  They offer the Ohio and Cobert so far.  Oh yeah, convert RB (research bureau) in XP.  This is for players who have every tech line researched and ship purchased.  Something extra to do.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,431 battles
23 minutes ago, amoncz said:

Otherwise all this was terrible idea.

If you don't like it don't do it. It is completely voluntary.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
16 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

I will send your saviour

sf4D8yr.gif

100% better than the current one IMO

• Cool 3

[RMRGD]
Members
455 posts
22,745 battles

I am grinding my way to Ohio.  She seems interesting but thats about it.  The grind is NOT worth it unless a few things.

• You got premium time
  • You got a crap ton of special flags giving XP bonus
  • You got some time to grind
  • You enjoy the line and don't mind regrinding

I have all of these so I am doing some of it.  But MANY lines did not age well.  So the grind is not worth it I would expect for most players.    It seems like the implementation was half done.  I think WG Had good intentions.  They want players to play standard ships again at lower tiers.    But this is not the way they should have done it.

[INTEL]
Members
13,053 posts
36,003 battles

They need to add some ships below T10, camos, captains, and similar. But especially ships below T10...

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,031 battles

For me the US DD line is an enjoyment.  Especially when you have  Captains that are over 11-12 skills from tiers 4-10.  Also premium camos too.

[QQ7]
Members
51 posts
8,018 battles

They are only just coming to the end of the Pilot 'episode' of the Research Bureau. No one has any idea what future rewards they have in mind yet. This is just another WG isn't catering to me I'm going to complain thread.

I congratulate all of you that chose to redo some old lines. As mentioned in another post some did not age well and WoWS could do with a few more people committed to the long haul and I also congratulate all of you that recognized that redoing lines wasn't up your alley and decided you didn't need to make another useless post expressing this on the forums.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[P2W]
[P2W]
Banned
1,334 posts

My protest of RB continues, the 10,000 points stills sits in my inventory and I refuse to spend it. 

The player base clearly stated that they did not like/want this and it was still shoved down our throats.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester
8,770 posts

The concept itself isn't as terrible as people think, however the drawback is there's nothing to buy.  I have Colbert already, and I don't want Ohio at all, so I'm left with no further reason to use the feature. As it stands people might use it a maximum of twice, theres nothing there to bring us back for more.
The basically opened a vast department store but all that's in it is a single can of beans in aisle 12 and a cut of beef roast in the deli, and that's all.

It's not so much that they make a terrible feature, it's that they didn't follow through with enough variety of product to justify making the feature

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
137 posts
11,300 battles

I thought about doing the research bureau, then I realized that I wasn't too far off from getting Smolensk so Colbert wasn't that much of a draw for me. Ohio looked cool (I like my Georgia), until they nerfed the accuracy of the guns. Honestly, the only thing interesting for me is the FXP since I'm around 830k FXP and I'm currently considering Friesland (or the German T9 cruiser whenever it shows up).

Honestly, I'd seriously consider the research bureau if the rewards were more interesting. (Not more OP, just more unique).

Also, suggestion to WG, I think some lower-tier premiums with a lower price would draw more people in, especially if they included more unique ships like the "HMS Agincourt". 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles

Actually looking at it, the research bureau or NTC or whatever you want to call it isn't just its own problem. It's a symptom of these two ideas at Wargaming that players will pay for shortcuts to get up the line they're grinding (accurate), while simultaneously players are to be kept grinding as long as possible to lead to more people choosing the first option. This model is all well and good, especially with the release of a new line basically every two months like clockwork meaning more and more ships people need to grind for, right up until you get to the concept of giving people early access to new lines all the way up to tier 8. This effectively renders half of that grind completely moot and basically means that anyone with good RNG is suddenly not going to be someone paying for free XP to rush to their shiny new Le Fantasque or Zara because they already pulled one out of a box for free. So the answer to keeping the completionist whales who only care about getting the next big thing and are willing to drop cash on free XP conversion to do it is to have the ability to re-grind lines.

This is also where the big problem of the NTC comes in: We already ground through those lines to tier 10, why would we want to do it again? I, personally, would be fine with redoing *A* line, maybe two, to get a shiny new Colbert in my port. After all going up a full line to get a tier 10 is the point of grinding out that line in the first place. But even with a free line's worth of tokens I'd have to redo FOUR lines to get a single ship, because some people are willing to drop that much cash and blow through them that quickly. That's the turn-off and the problem: The research bureau and NTC was designed to address a problem Wargaming was having with a small number of people, and then released and marketed to EVERYONE regardless of whether or not it applied to them.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,910 posts
11,586 battles
4 hours ago, agm114r said:

So don't do any lines. 

They were going to offer better/different rewards, but the playerbase had a complete hissy fit, so they changed the rewards.

the first version of RB, or as it was called at that time, NTC, was literally the closest this game came to being Pay 2 Win, and it would have been a guaranteed death blow to the game if WG didnt go back on it

• Cool 4

Members
1,072 posts
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

the first version of RB, or as it was called at that time, NTC, was literally the closest this game came to being Pay 2 Win, and it would have been a guaranteed death blow to the game if WG didnt go back on it

Oh, I know.  I just pointed out that if you don't want like the rewards offered, you don't have to redo any lines, and a different reward structure had been planned, and, rightly, shot down.

Maybe I didn't put that clearly the first time, but, we were all here for it. I remember it.

Edited by agm114r

[1984]
Members
4,124 posts
19,914 battles
6 hours ago, DESRON10 said:

My protest of RB continues, the 10,000 points stills sits in my inventory and I refuse to spend it. 

The player base clearly stated that they did not like/want this and it was still shoved down our throats.

You got that right!

same here. No resets for me.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,012 posts
22,563 battles

IMHO the reason for the whole thing was to give community contributors and streamers something to do while they make money playing the game. The regrind is Wargaming's idea of "end game content" for those who do this for a living or who play full time due to other reasons. You wouldn't want the people who are making a living advertising your product, to get bored and find other games to play..... 

The game is pretty much the same old thing over and over and over again. It hardly matters if you are playing tier 4 or tier 10, nothing is all that different. There is no story, no ending, only the same old grind until the players just get bored and find something else to do with their time. I have to admit, Wargaming titles have cured me of my obsession with having to get everything in a game. In most games I have played, I always felt the need to get all the quests done, get all the good stuff, and kill all the monsters. It took playing Wargaming titles to make me realize what a waste of time doing that was. I have to thank them for that as now I can play games and be happy with lessor rewards or ignoring missions. Now I look long and hard at the prizes offered for my time and decide whether or not it is worth it, if it adds anything to the game experience or is it just more of the same that I will use for a few hours then ignore for years on end (looking at you Vampire & Aigle). 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,061 posts
14,295 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Now I look long and hard at the prizes offered for my time and decide whether or not it is worth it, if it adds anything to the game experience or is it just more of the same that I will use for a few hours then ignore for years on end (looking at you Vampire & Aigle). 

I look at the prizes and at what I achieved in the getting-there. Granted, I am nowhere near "end content" on any line except for the British cruisers (I have Minotaur), and thus have much to do, so I can look at an event, plan what I want to achieve, and use the event as a driver to get me through the grind.

This is more or less accidentally what happened in my first few months of play - I ground for the Vampire with the Danae (T4 was eligible back then) and the Emerald, and when I was done I'd lost my fear of Randoms and had advanced to the Leander. Then I tried for North Cape using the Leander; and although I failed, when the dust had settled I was more or less in the Fiji.

Now I try to harness that more deliberately. I decided that I was going to make this event the driver to get to my fourth 19 point captain. Twilight Battles actually helped a hell of a lot there, but until they started up I was playing exclusively the ships he could go in and anything else that could take a 19 pointer. Now whatever the Italian cruisers might be worth, I got that done.

As far as the Research Bureau is concerned, I figure it's designed so that people who WANT to regrind all the lines for the hell of it (a) don't have to reroll and lose access to their premium ships and (b) have something nice at the end to show for it. It simply isn't for me, and I'm glad we have a couple of coal ships (Smolensk and Thunderer) which parallel the ones available in RB.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,034 posts
23,838 battles

Garbage rewards for a lot of sacrificed Credits, XPs, FreeXPs, and of course the time you spent getting those Lines to Tier X to begin with.

Most especially when there are more effective, free alternatives than what's offered as RB rewards.

Thunderer > Ohio

Kremlin > Ohio

Smolensk > Colbert

Etc.

Most especially when you consider the quality of those free, alternative, non-RB rewards for the time and resources spent on getting them, compared to slitting your wrists several times over for the Research Bureau.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
11,819 posts
24,463 battles
10 hours ago, DESRON10 said:

Same here. I will not do it and I will not use that 10K pts. NTC/RB was, is, and always will be a BAD idea.

Anyone complaining about NTC/RB who is doing it has no one to blame but themselves. It was pretty clear how bad it was from the get go (original and now current) so if you chose to do it, and are now upset, oh well, you didn't think it through. Of course that is what WG planned on.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Boring 1

Members
510 posts
14,057 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Garbage rewards for a lot of sacrificed Credits, XPs, FreeXPs, and of course the time you spent getting those Lines to Tier X to begin with.

Most especially when there are more effective, free alternatives than what's offered as RB rewards.

Thunderer > Ohio

Kremlin > Ohio

Smolensk > Colbert

Etc.

Most especially when you consider the quality of those free, alternative, non-RB rewards for the time and resources spent on getting them, compared to slitting your wrists several times over for the Research Bureau.

+1.   I haven't done RB because I've got a lot of great ships, and the prospect of adding Colbert and Ohio doesn't justify the painful re-grind.

Now, if some fantastic steel ships were offered (Black, Stalingrad, Bourgogne) I'd be all over it.     

Edited by ThumperD702