You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Norsehound

Looking for good predreadnought info

6 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
204 posts
5,078 battles

Let's see if I can make a long story short. Have a 3D printer, browsed Thingverse out of boredom, found minis for the Russio-Japanese war. Printed some. Then printed many (including designing my own, particularly for the U.S). Went looking for something to do with these minis. Noted a lot of the games seem to be mired in older simulation mechanics. Have desire to design my own, need resources to voraciously consume to make such a tabletop game semi-accurate but easy to play.

There, I think that's about right.

I'm interested in that span of history between 1895 into 1920. I'm particularly interested in finding sources that talk about / summarize:

• Gunnery and technology developments in the period (with distinctions between the nations over that span of time)
  • Naval tactics of the period, again with attention to specifics between the nations.
  • Signal flag messages? Command and control of squadrons in the predreadnought era.

I mean, I have a lot of other questions as well, but I'm keen on focusing on these areas to make such a simulation accurate enough to be more interesting than say, Battleship. I'm going for Star-Wars Armada level of complexity, with the ability to easily scale between two squadron engagements to doing Tsushima or jutland in a day. Part of that is understanding and internalizing gunnery advancements over the period, and understanding how squadron organization happened to gamify the experience and try to come up with an engine that allows players to easily build their own squadrons to play.

I'm interested in books or online articles, the cheaper the better as this is a side hobby for the moment. In case anyone's curious, I'm going for 1/6000. I have pictures also.

[WOLF1]
Members
253 posts
53,204 battles

Clash of Arms has published very detailed naval rules covering the pre-dreadnought era and WW1. They may be more complicated than you're looking for, but they're pretty comprehensive...

https://www.clashofarms.com/feargod.html

https://www.clashofarms.com/rjw.html

For basic reference on warships, I recommend Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships. The volumes covering 1860-1905, and 1906-1921 will provide the information you need to get started. They're somewhat expensive, so you might want to check a good library first.

https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=✓&query=conways+all+the+world's+fighting+ships

Beta Testers
204 posts
5,078 battles

On the gaming side, I opened up a thread on boardgamegeek with this request and I got some other suggestions. The few that I've looked into (like Seekrieg) seem a bit more complex than I'd like. I was checking out the Quickfire rules as well.

Originally I was going to try out a free rules set online called Coal, and the Kaiser (and another for Russio-Japan, Togo)- but they're not as wide (or complete...) as I'd like.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,529 posts
4,599 battles

You want a fun miniatures naval wargame download these rules.  Simple, fun, and sort of like a manual version of WoWs.

I use a much older set of his rules myself:

NavalWarGame.jpg

[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,031 posts

John d alden's  steel navy ... there were some books by edgar stanton Mackay that are hard roto come by now...  development of the monitor and the steam navy... all to some extent deal with what you are asking about but US sources are problematic because from 1865 to around 1883 development just stopped as the US turned inward. John Sumedas in defense of naval supremacy is good for British stuff. I think there is a book called building the Victorian navy... any book that talks about the Victorian navy will be relevant.  It's kind of a hodgepodge because you are talking about an era that's bookended by two more popular ones. Benjamin  Franklin coolings grey steel and blue water deals with the tech catchup the US had to do so it acts as a bit of a census on all the powers . The navy year books that the US goverment printed  from around 1883- sometime in the 1900s often included a appendix of foreign developments.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/203479/dawn-battleship also this