You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Do Not Chase The CVs

24 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,940 battles

I'm not a strong advocate of DDs skirting the edges, getting lost from the tally, and then showing up in the enemy's cap...where their CVs are conveniently parked.  Even more so in a DD that doesn't run smoke.  But hey, sometimes you gotta do it.  And sometimes....sometimes....

981428080_Donotchase.thumb.jpg.39cec90157427734469d0d1ce5586807.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
930 posts
10,175 battles
5 hours ago, Redwing6 said:

[CONTENT REMOVED]

So, you are not aware of the CV rework? 

6 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I'm not a strong advocate of DDs skirting the edges, getting lost from the tally, and then showing up in the enemy's cap...where their CVs are conveniently parked.  Even more so in a DD that doesn't run smoke.  But hey, sometimes you gotta do it.  And sometimes....sometimes....

981428080_Donotchase.thumb.jpg.39cec90157427734469d0d1ce5586807.jpg

1. Did you get sunk in the process? 2. Did your team lose?

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles

Not one, but two CV's sunk.  Nice going, @Soshi_Sone.  :-)

All's fair in love and war.  :-)

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,327 battles

It looks like you survived,  but how did the battle end?  Some CV games it is hard to get spotting damage. Other CV games, if the DD don't spot, the allies don't shoot. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,940 battles
Just now, Shannon_Lindsey said:

We won.  I survived the two kills and would have survived the game, but one of our CVs pushed up too far and I had to shoot (reveal) to take the heat off the CV and the enemy got me.

[RLGN]
Members
14,305 posts
25,241 battles

[CONTENT REMOVED]

You mad bro?

Don’t necessarily disagree trough; and partly why I say WG ‘reinventing the bloody wheel’ was a waste of time.

Ultimately, nothing has changed except the mechanics carriers use to make other players angry.

5 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Yes?

For all intents and purposes, how is it not still ‘point and click’ by another set of mechanics?

Outside making carriers accessible to more players; which is of extremely dubious value; I’ve never seen any argument for the rework which justifies the toxic vitriol caused by 0.8.0.

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
930 posts
10,175 battles
5 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

We won.  I survived the two kills and would have survived the game, but one of our CVs pushed up too far and I had to shoot (reveal) to take the heat off the CV and the enemy got me.

This sounds like one of those bad teams where they all overextend to one side of the map leaving the base unguarded.

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,150 battles

It works fairly well against tiers 4 and 6, but I find that tiers 8 and 10 are too fast. Also, the captains tend to be better so they can often guess you are coming.

Finally, spending a long time sailing all around the map may not be the best use of your time.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Members
3,473 posts
14,825 battles

[CONTENT REMOVED]

BB is the most point and click class in the game. No wonder how many players are BB main...

But chasing the CV as the main goal in your game is stupid anyway and if someone is doing that, he deserve to die.

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles
21 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Awesome.  :-)
Valhalla awaits.  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
728 posts
4,671 battles

[CONTENT REMOVED]

I like people like you. Last night I was called sky cancer and told to KMS. So I did the natural thing and proceeded to absolutely dominate his DD. All with a smile on my face :) 

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 3

[GOOF]
Members
671 posts
5,893 battles

If I hear CV spotted my eyes are looking and going to kill it.

CV had the biggest influence on a match, decreased flooding fire time, auto repair party, unlimited planes. 

I've had games where my team is winning and ahead and a good enemy CV negates that for a loss.

Kill cv.

• Cool 4

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts
1 hour ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

why yes, yes I am well aware that WG made sky cancer easier to play. unlimited aircraft. No enemy fighters to interdict. permaspotting...sky cancer must die, every single pharking chance I get, I kill them.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[SIM]
Members
4,931 posts
8,006 battles

[CONTENT REMOVED]

Grow the hell up. Also, there are no clickers in WoWs, so not only are you unpleasant, but you don't know what the hell that you're talking about.

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,222 battles

Last battle I was in I all but destroyed two CVs, took the vast majority of their HP along with a CA, a BB and a dd. First game in 16 today where I was top tier. They were both targeting me, and I had forgot to turn my AA back on after sitting in a dd smoke early in the game. Ended with a win, had less than 200 HP left, used all my heals. Game ended just as the last planes were making a run at me. Saved By the bell lol.

I like CV's in the game, adds another dimension (as long as its no more than 2) Looking forward to Subs also. Glutton for punishment I guess? Never see myself playing a CV, but as an ex USN bubblehead would like to try a sub.

• Cool 2

Members
2,640 posts
4,263 battles
6 hours ago, Redwing6 said:

[CONTENT REMOVED]

Oh look!  Someone who has no clue what they are talking about but wants to scream about something anyway!  How novel!

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Boring 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,222 battles
6 hours ago, Redwing6 said:

[CONTENT REMOVED]

To play a CV well takes a lot of skill and experience. Seen a few amazing CV players on my team in random. Anyone can play anything, but how well? If you have constant problems with CV's, that says more about your play then theirs. Me, I like the chance to shoot down planes and sink fat juicy HP carriers. I get them more than they get me.

Edited by Rally_Vincent
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,498 posts
10,518 battles

I play CV's, BB's, Cruisers and Destroyers.
Learning how to play each of them helps me understand how to play each of them better.

Submarines are next, even though, I played them in the previous Halloween event.

This, WOWs, is a game.  It is more complicated than playing Checkers, but it is still a game.
When an opponent does well, even at your expense, they're simply playing their best.  
If a person wants to play well, they should level-up their own game by gaining knowledge and experience, including the wisdom gained from being out-played.
We're here to have fun.
Good sportsmanship should be the rule, not the exception.  :-)

[NSEW]
Members
1,861 posts
10,724 battles
14 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Some CV games it is hard to get spotting damage

This is a two way street last I recall.  Wargaming really should address the values with Spotting & Spotting damage in game mechanics.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,891 posts
17,940 battles
19 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

But chasing the CV as the main goal in your game is stupid anyway and if someone is doing that, he deserve to die.

I agree for the most part.  It wasn't my plan going in to push to the CVs.  I was mainly just trying to provide forward intel on our left flank, and was ready to beat feet back if spotted.  I was playing a fast French CV...no smoke.  But there were no enemy on the flank.  The main fight was right flank.  So.....I just kept going...and going...and going.  You eventually get that feeling of...OMG...am I going to pull this off.  Because once detected, you often die fast.

Although I didn't plan it this way, there is an outcropping on the map deep in the enemy backfield where I was forced to go to avoid a CA detect.  This outcropping prevented me from detecting the CV (but I knew it was there), so the CV didn't get a signal that he was detected.  I would like to take credit for this cleaver concealment strategy, but it wasn't something I was cognizant of on this map until I found myself in that location, effectively screened from the CV by terrain.  I am cognizant of these issues as a CV captain, and look for them in my DDs as well...just didn't notice this one until forced into it.  Not only screened from the CV knowing he was detected, but also screened from surface detection a little bit.  CV didn't know I was there until I rounded the corner....nothing but a lucky shot (suffice to say, I got the attention of every red in range) would have stopped that run.  He stayed bow on to comb torps, so I was forced to make the run all the way to him for the broadside shot.

Second CV had picked up good speed running away, so it was a tail chase at that point.  But being spotted, he got a lot of attention from all my friendlies in range.  All reds shooting at me. At greens shoot at the CV.  I was able to dispatch the second CV, but the damage total is smaller than the first as the balance of damage was done by my friendlies during the chase.  

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[WOLFC]
Members
690 posts
25,507 battles

I agree. DDs should not waste their time chasing CVs. It takes them out of the fight for too long.

shot-19_11.10_13_27.09-0249.thumb.jpg.f1809c2dbdf2d7a2c3d096e2f24301fa.jpg

Uh...yeah.

In my defense, I did capture a control point, sink the BB and shoot up the DDs before sinking the CVs. And we did win the battle.

[SYN]
Members
1,233 posts
10,327 battles
6 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

This is a two way street last I recall.  Wargaming really should address the values with Spotting & Spotting damage in game mechanics.

I don't know about two ways.  I know that if the green CV works the same area I am, my spotting damage suffers.  If the green CV is on the other side or focuses on red spawn,  my DD does a decent job of spotting. 

As far as values, spotting damage is sorely rewarded, except for the damage ticker that keeps going up.