You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Frigate007

Captain XP? Best for which ship?

8 comments in this topic

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,916 battles

Once you have a 19pts captain and use him where does the XP for him go after a battle? Do you just lose it? He can't use anymore right?

Have only one 19 pointer in my Boise , a 17, 15, 14, two 11, two 10, the rest below 10. Should I stop using my 19 and the ship he is in? Right now its my favorite ship.

Right now I have USN captains, RN, KM and one for Friesland I will get to some day (got him to 10) when he is 19 without using ship. By then maybe I will be good enough, but last on my list for now.

The ships in my port (or future ships on my wish list)I hope to have dedicated Captains for are:

Clemson

Exeter and possible future RN CA

Warspite

Fiji 

BOISE

Wichita

Hood

Scharnhorst 

Bismark

Cossack

Massachusett

Georgia

Friesland

My t3 and lower ships I use all have around t6 to t10 already. Don't play them much anymore, but once in a while they do get used. Which Captains match up best with above ships that are available in the armory with most popular build? Which might work well in two ships without changing skills? Should I focus 0n one at a time or spread it around?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[DOG]
Members
904 posts
15,222 battles
4 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Once you have a 19pts captain and use him where does the XP for him go after a battle? Do you just lose it? He can't use anymore right?

Have only one 19 pointer in my Boise , a 17, 15, 14, two 11, two 10, the rest below 10. Should I stop using my 19 and the ship he is in? Right now its my favorite ship.

Thanks

19 point captains earn elite commander XP, which can be used on any commander. Ideally, you'd put 19pt on ship you play a lot and any premium ships you can (to maximize earning elite commander xp).

[PVE]
Members
11,204 posts
19,830 battles
43 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

On the Commander perks screen look to the lower left. That is Elite commander XP and can be used on other captains or to switch commander perks with out using doubloons.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[NSC]
Members
2,662 posts
48 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

As others have mentioned, the commander XP (CXP) you earn on a 19-pointer gets converted (automatically and for free) into Elite CXP (ECXP). ECXP can be spent on any commander below 19 points, so grinding a 19 point commander is actually grinding any sub 19-point commander.

You can read more here: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Elite_Commander_Experience

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
24,186 battles
2 hours ago, Frigate007 said:

The ships in my port (or future ships on my wish list)I hope to have dedicated Captains for are:

Assign your highest point Captain to a ship of your choice, knock off the retraining cost if needed, then put that Captain on a premium ship and use Elite Commander XP to speed up to 19 points. Also move them to each premium for that nation. Use your 19 pointer in all your premiums to increase your Elite XP pool quicker.

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts

there is collection that gives you permo camo for t8 ships, this camo has bonus to commander xp and free xp.  i would get 19 point captain on one of these ships asap.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,785 posts
11,443 battles

The 19 point commander is a big step to doing bigger things.  All the elite commander XP goes into a pool that can be used by any commander.  It can be used to retrain commanders if you need to switch them to other ships.  It can be used to get a commander to a higher skill level sooner.  It can be used to respec a commander too.  A 19 pointer commander allows you to accumulate another one even quicker.

[RAGE]
Members
2,018 posts
9,568 battles
1 minute ago, ij70 said:

there is collection that gives you permo camo for t8 ships, this camo has bonus to commander xp and free xp.  i would get 19 point captain on one of these ships asap.

Those camos don't have base XP bonuses, though, so they're no different than ones with basic 50% xp camos. You end up with the same amount of captain xp, since ship xp is directly tied to captain xp.  Those camos are worse if you're grinding, since you want that ship xp to speed up the grind.