Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

CV Autopilot, almost right...

12 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,498 posts
13,885 battles

So the recent changes to the autopilot for CV's has been a HUGE improvement over the old one.  HOWEVER, I have noted that if you put your course even remotely close to the white line or an island, the autopilot will either just give up and stop the ship or put your ship into a back up and forward loop that is like an Austin Powers 35 point turn. Sometimes I have given up on helping the team while I try to maneuver my ship through a turn just putting the rudder hard over and then continue the autopilot course.  If I could make the turn without slowing down, why does the autopilot need to do this?  Pretty much ANY maneuvering around an obstruction or border mind as well just mean you're going to stop in the turn.

[NUWES]
Members
3,125 posts
10,653 battles

It is definitely better, but has some issues. I found that it freaks out close to the map edge. The minimap shows that you can set a course along the edge byt the CV will not navigate there. Also it if hits the map edge it won't just turn out. It will stop and backup.  Also, the mini-map doesn't 100% match the real world map in places. There are spots on certain maps where the CV can fit through but the course layout in the minimap will go around. 

It will also sometimes change the course on its own. I had a couple of occasions where I plotted a course, when I looked at the CV I found it was going in a completely different direction and when I checked the course it now had a course that was different from what I set. It hasn't happened often enough for me to figure out what is causing it. 

• Cool 1

[WG]
3,498 posts
13,885 battles

YUP

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,414 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Pretty much ANY maneuvering around an obstruction or border mind as well just mean you're going to stop in the turn.

Perhaps you need to consider that a ship doesn't turn on a dime? Their turning radius is rather lengthy. If you were manually controlling it the same thing would happen.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,211 battles
2 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Perhaps you need to consider that a ship doesn't turn on a dime? Their turning radius is rather lengthy. If you were manually controlling it the same thing would happen.

The CV will start reversing when, if I could forcefully take control back in time, I easily could have made the turn. We're talking ranges of 0.5 or even 1km clearance where the CV just gives up for little to no reason. Not even pointed at the island, but just hiding behind it or the like. It's like the autopilot thinks islands are bigger than they are.

The map border does similar, and not even when that close to it. You can be something like a few km from the border and suddenly the CV freaks out for no reason while turning away, then reverses. It's like they couldn't figure out how to make the autopilot factor in the border and just made a huge autopilot dead zone around every map.

• Funny 1

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,414 battles
21 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

The CV will start reversing when, if I could forcefully take control back in time, I easily could have made the turn

Well then do that. Recall your planes and drive the ship and see how that works out.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,204 posts
5,606 battles
9 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

So the recent changes to the autopilot for CV's has been a HUGE improvement over the old one.  HOWEVER, I have noted that if you put your course even remotely close to the white line or an island, the autopilot will either just give up and stop the ship or put your ship into a back up and forward loop that is like an Austin Powers 35 point turn. Sometimes I have given up on helping the team while I try to maneuver my ship through a turn just putting the rudder hard over and then continue the autopilot course.  If I could make the turn without slowing down, why does the autopilot need to do this?  Pretty much ANY maneuvering around an obstruction or border mind as well just mean you're going to stop in the turn.

Better avoid borders and islands... When you set A to B and see the path calculated is too close from the islands, you can be sure this will happen. Better set A B C, etc way points in a way the path isn't too close from islands. It takes some 10 to 15 seconds, but you'll avoid that uncomfortable situation where you see your CV stuck and a couple of CLs rushing towards you... 

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,211 battles
3 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Well then do that. Recall your planes and drive the ship and see how that works out.

I do any time it happens after the second time it got me killed. It works out flawlessly. Every time. It one time even tried to do it when an island was basically next to me. It was not, in any way, in the way.

The new autopilot is better till you put it near islands or the border. Then it is basically useless, no matter how meticulous you try to be to ensure it doesn't crap out on you.

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,414 battles
10 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

The new autopilot is better till you put it near islands or the border.

And there is the solution. Learn how far away from an obstruction the waypoint needs to be and plot them no closer than that.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,869 posts
17,907 battles

Autopilot ran me aground the other day.  I plotted through an island chain, and the plot was fine...but I guess the algorithm didn't account for underwater keel clearance...and rumph.  There I was...stuck.  Had to manually unstick myself.

Members
208 posts
1,205 battles

And if you try to turn with the autopilot, the thing at best will go at the lowest speed if not stop and reverse

[WG]
3,498 posts
13,885 battles

If you are a CV driver and you are worried about giving your team the best support you can, the worst thing you can do is "recall aircraft and pilot your ship" I would rather have the autopilot follow my waypoints.  At this point I have learned to put a point prior to where I KNOW the autopilot will either just park my ship or put me into an island, steer clear of the way point and then set another point.

AGAIN this is not ideal however, especially when as a CV driver I am wasting my time and the teams time not flying strikes out or spotting....

Sign in to follow this