Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Thunder_Feet

LeFantasque in Co-op

13 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
426 posts
13,716 battles

Good morning, bot-killers!

I'm doing my daily routine of playing every ship (I have 31 plus the freebie spam ships for Halloween and Ranked/Clan battles - I call them spam because my clan doesn't clan battle and there have been no ranked battles lately).  I played Vaquelin this morning and noticed that I have enough XP and FXP sitting, and the credits, to go up a tier to LeFantasque.  I tend to hoard my FXP and spend it grudgingly, so I thought I'd get impressions from folks here.

I like Vaquelin a lot.  It has decent guns, and the torpedo arcs allow you to shoot without exposing too much broadside (well, any is too much, but you get what I mean).  I have no plans of getting rid of that ship, but think I'm ready to take French DDs up a tier.  Those of you who have (or had) LeFan, what's your impression?  Better than Vaq, worse, or very similar?  What kind of firing arcs on the torps (a ship spec that isn't listed anywhere that I can find)?  Gudbote, badbote, or mehbote?  (NB:  specifically asking for the PvE environment, although if you have thoughts about BOTH that's fine, too).

Of course, the end of that chain is Kleber, which I've played on the test server, with some success, I think with practice it might be my best DD when I get there.

[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,587 posts
19,568 battles
2 hours ago, Episcopo said:

I'm doing my daily routine of playing every ship (I have 31 plus the freebie spam ships for Halloween and Ranked/Clan battles - I call them spam because my clan doesn't clan battle and there have been no ranked battles lately).  I played Vaquelin this morning and noticed that I have enough XP and FXP sitting, and the credits, to go up a tier to LeFantasque.  I tend to hoard my FXP and spend it grudgingly, so I thought I'd get impressions from folks here.

I like Vaquelin a lot.  It has decent guns, and the torpedo arcs allow you to shoot without exposing too much broadside (well, any is too much, but you get what I mean).  I have no plans of getting rid of that ship, but think I'm ready to take French DDs up a tier.  Those of you who have (or had) LeFan, what's your impression?  Better than Vaq, worse, or very similar?  What kind of firing arcs on the torps (a ship spec that isn't listed anywhere that I can find)?  Gudbote, badbote, or mehbote?  (NB:  specifically asking for the PvE environment, although if you have thoughts about BOTH that's fine, too).

Of course, the end of that chain is Kleber, which I've played on the test server, with some success, I think with practice it might be my best DD when I get there.

maybe this will help  or this Mouses review of le terrible ...premium version of Fantasque

[WW2]
Members
350 posts
6,841 battles

I really liked le fantastique. It's got the speed to chase down a carrier if need be. Just note it took me a while to get used to mogador but now I love it. Your vis goes up so you have to play it a bit more cautiously at the beginning of a match. 

[TBW]
Members
10,287 posts
17,482 battles
3 hours ago, Episcopo said:

routine of playing every ship

I play every ship for flake events. It takes about a week and a half of Co op battles to do it though.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,489 posts
24,719 battles

I did it for the original snowflake but was a little more picky about the subsequent ones. 250+ ships.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles

The higher in tiers you go the FR DDs actually become passable.  Le Fantasque-class are very close to each other.  The only major difference between LF and LT is really in torpedoes and the fact that LT is a Premium Ship that's cheaper to run, which is important because Credit earnings in Co-op suck balls.

Same torpedo damage.

Same torpedo tube arrangement (I dislike these torp configurations, 1 per side with 1 dorsal launcher)

Le Terrible (Premium)

Faster 77 seconds reload.

"Slower" 65kts torpedo speed.

Le Fantasque

Slower 90 seconds reload.

Much faster 75kts torpedo speed.

Everything else is very minor to the point on it not being noticeable.

But the real draw of this DD Line resides in where it only gets really good... Tier IX Mogador and Tier X Kleber.  I have a lot of disdain for FR DDs before them, but Mog and Kleber are the exception and those are fantastic DDs.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,471 posts
5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I play every ship for flake events. It takes about a week and a half of Co op battles to do it though.

Oh yeah...  MOAR free lewt! is great- but I have a LOT of ships in port- including nearly all the low tier premiums- so getting through them all is a long term grind!:Smile_teethhappy:

Particularly when I get into all the reward, freebie, and crate ships I('ve) never played.   Like  IJN DD's- those are NOT my strong suit...   Or "orphan"  high tier ships from lines I've barely started.  I have no idea how to play them properly, don't have any captains for them, and they usually aren't outfitted.   I know a win is nearly guaranteed in Co-op, but I still hate sucking!

Anyhow, back to the topic.

I have it's sister ship Le Terrible, and no matter how many people grumble and hate on it- It works very well for me in Co-op!   Speedy gunboats are my thing- and this one is about the speediest!  lol    I don't even care that it has no smoke- I barely use smoke anyway.  I mean, as long as you're firing your guns, you have the attention of every bot on the map- and if your guns ain't firing on a gunboat, you aren't earning much...   It's a bit trickier to pull this off in the high tiers, as the bots are much more capable, and hate DD's with a white hot passion.   You just have to be tricky, and avoid doing the typical DD game starters that would put you under all of their guns at once.   (like charging B full speed, leaving the rest of the team in your dust- so you get first crack at any damage...)

Heck- I hated it, too, for a while.  Until I quit trying to play it like something it wasn't, and played it the way it told me to play it.  Then I began to have big games in it.

People say, Le Fantastique is a much better ship, so I say why not?  Give it a whirl and report back!   It sounds like you enjoy the French DD experience, like I do.

[INTEL]
Members
13,055 posts
36,014 battles
23 hours ago, Episcopo said:

I have ground up 93K XP on LeFan, all in coop except for one erroneous entry into Randoms. 

It is basically the T7, same torp layout, same annoyingly high detect, same guns. The Frenchies dont get good til Mogador. 

I plan to finish it out in coop, since i can't play the french DDs in Randoms. I suck at their playstyle. 

Edited by Taichunger

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles
6 hours ago, Taichunger said:

I have ground up 93K XP on LeFan, all in coop except for one erroneous entry into Randoms. 

It is basically the T7, same torp layout, same annoyingly high detect, same guns. The Frenchies dont get good til Mogador. 

I plan to finish it out in coop, since i can't play the french DDs in Randoms. I suck at their playstyle. 

Mogador is Love.

Kleber is Life.

I don't know how common it is for people to spec them for torpedoes in PVE, but that's what I did.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
20,077 posts
14,307 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

that's what I did.

Torpedo Armament Expertise, or Torpedo Acceleration also?

I haven't played Mogador yet, but I'm going to give her a shot the next time the PTS comes up. Those torp firing arcs look obscene. Not quite V-25 levels of head-on, but close enough for Government work.

If that turns out anywhere near like what I'm expecting, I have a feeling I know where my T9 Infernal camo is going.

[TX]
Members
1,101 posts
18,298 battles

I am not good at all playing DD without smoke 

All bot shoot at me , even from the other side of the map.........and battle is over.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,053 posts
23,842 battles
On 11/10/2019 at 12:25 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Torpedo Armament Expertise, or Torpedo Acceleration also?

I haven't played Mogador yet, but I'm going to give her a shot the next time the PTS comes up. Those torp firing arcs look obscene. Not quite V-25 levels of head-on, but close enough for Government work.

If that turns out anywhere near like what I'm expecting, I have a feeling I know where my T9 Infernal camo is going.

No TA, I did use TAE with TTM3 upgrade to cut down on the reloads as much as possible.

I have noted with my DDs in Co-op that easily, by far the bulk of my damage are with torpedoes.  Gun damage, even including Fires, pales in comparison.

Fletcher, Gearing, Shima, Benham, Mogador, Kleber, etc.  All in torpedo builds.

The torpedo launcher arrangement is awesome.  It's not so much Kleber and Mog dropping tons of torpedoes, it's the arrangement similar to Clemson with 2 launchers per side with super aggressive launch angles.  The torpedoes hit pretty hard, reload quickly (not Benham quick, but at 58.9 seconds with my build), and are real fast in the water.

Below Tier IX-X, the other FR DDs are just trash placeholder ships until you get to the promised land.  I owned Le Terrible since she first came out.  I got Vaquelin, Jaguar, Guepard, Mogador in the early release "milking" event.  All those DDs were just mediocre experiences, some quite terrible for their tier.  But Mogador... As soon as I entered the game with mine, checked my torpedo arrangement, angles, I whistled.  This was going to be a nice ride.  Kleber just amps it up.

With Mog and Kleber, you can rush in early to the cap, drop some long range torpedoes at the edge and hope for lucky torp hits as the bots approach the cap.  Back off, skirmish a bit to sink the first DD, or duck behind an island temporarily.  Soon enough your torpedoes are ready again as the bots start getting deeper into the cap.  I save the Engine Boost for that part.

Sign in to follow this