Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Have a Captain's skill proposal for the WOWs community

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

176
[DBM]
Members
539 posts
9,727 battles

After fiddling around with Captain's skills moving some of my captains from tech tree to premium ships and back, plus being a little frustrated with the ultimate build out of some of my 19 pt captains, I have an idea.  How many times have you wished that you could have just ONE more 3 pt skill to put give your best captains?  It's always that one skill that you know could help you fight your ships better but you have to compromise.

My idea is that WOWs allow us to earn 21 pt "Expert Captains".  Here's the parameters that I'm thinking of:

1) They would be specific to a class and Nation (i.e. USN dds, IJN cruisers, Russian BBs).  They could not be used across classes (can't use a USN dd expert captain in a USN cruiser, BB, or CV).

2) Each account would have a limit on the number of Expert Captains (say 2 per ship class).  That would force players to decide on those nations/classes that they want to have one of these captains.  It means that no player can have an expert on every nation and class.

3) Achieving one of these captains should be hard, but should not be dependent on competitive play (I'm thinking specifically about Clan play).  Earning them should be a reward for individual play, but it can't be so high that only the best players can achieve it.  It should be attainable, but not without some serious effort (much like the Legendary Upgrades).

4) Once you have one of these "Expert Captains" you could move them into any of their Nation/Line specialties and change captains skills without being charged doubloons.

5) Expert captains could not be used on Premium ships.

6) If you're using an Expert Captain, there should be some type of marker on your ship that indicates that your ship is so equipped in game.  I realize that it will mean that you will be focused on by the red team, but it only seem fair since you'll be bringing a gun to a knife fight.

I'm not even sure that this is possible for the programmers to build into the game, but I think that it would be a great goal for players to works towards.  I'm now looking to all of you to think about the unintended consequences and to add or subtract to my parameters.  If we all can come to some sort of consensus, I will propose it as a change to the WOWs development group.

What do you all think?     

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,554
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,713 battles

I just don't see why captains are limited to 19 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,127 posts
4,088 battles

Got to be some kind of limit. 21? But if we had 24 we could fit just one more captain point, and so on. No matter now high we go (OK, eventually you hit the skill tree limit), we are going to want another skill. 19 works well, no need to mess with it. I think if anything the skills need a rework, because there are some that are must haves, which effectively reduces the variety in ships. DDs have to take LS, if WG maybe built that in standard, it effectively gives you another 2 points. But whatever the limit is, it will always exclude somethings (hence the name). So the cap is fine where it is.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,127 posts
4,088 battles
3 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I just don't see why captains are limited to 19 points.

Way back when, the skill tree went to 5 point skills. So 15 was the equivalent of a 10 point captain now. To get to 19, you needed 9,999,999 XP. Essentially infinite, so the cap was 18. Why 18 originally I'm not sure, 15 plus another 3 point or something. Then they reworked it, reduced the max to 4, and opened up 19 points. But it's worked over time, so no need to mess with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,682
[PVE]
Members
6,177 posts
22,432 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Way back when, the skill tree went to 5 point skills. So 15 was the equivalent of a 10 point captain now. To get to 19, you needed 9,999,999 XP. Essentially infinite, so the cap was 18. Why 18 originally I'm not sure, 15 plus another 3 point or something. Then they reworked it, reduced the max to 4, and opened up 19 points. But it's worked over time, so no need to mess with it.

Actually quite a few players had 19 point commanders back then & the elite XP they got for each one gave them 5 (& most of the way to 6) additionsl 19 point commanders after the change...

4 hours ago, AMajor said:

After fiddling around with Captain's skills moving some of my captains from tech tree to premium ships and back, plus being a little frustrated with the ultimate build out of some of my 19 pt captains, I have an idea.  How many times have you wished that you could have just ONE more 3 pt skill to put give your best captains?  It's always that one skill that you know could help you fight your ships better but you have to compromise.

My idea is that WOWs allow us to earn 21 pt "Expert Captains".  Here's the parameters that I'm thinking of:

1) They would be specific to a class and Nation (i.e. USN dds, IJN cruisers, Russian BBs).  They could not be used across classes (can't use a USN dd expert captain in a USN cruiser, BB, or CV).

2) Each account would have a limit on the number of Expert Captains (say 2 per ship class).  That would force players to decide on those nations/classes that they want to have one of these captains.  It means that no player can have an expert on every nation and class.

3) Achieving one of these captains should be hard, but should not be dependent on competitive play (I'm thinking specifically about Clan play).  Earning them should be a reward for individual play, but it can't be so high that only the best players can achieve it.  It should be attainable, but not without some serious effort (much like the Legendary Upgrades).

4) Once you have one of these "Expert Captains" you could move them into any of their Nation/Line specialties and change captains skills without being charged doubloons.

5) Expert captains could not be used on Premium ships.

6) If you're using an Expert Captain, there should be some type of marker on your ship that indicates that your ship is so equipped in game.  I realize that it will mean that you will be focused on by the red team, but it only seem fair since you'll be bringing a gun to a knife fight.

I'm not even sure that this is possible for the programmers to build into the game, but I think that it would be a great goal for players to works towards.  I'm now looking to all of you to think about the unintended consequences and to add or subtract to my parameters.  If we all can come to some sort of consensus, I will propose it as a change to the WOWs development group.

What do you all think?     

So assuming they would allow more points I'm guessing the grind would be a whole lot more than just a Legendary grind...but it will never happen because (just using the difference between a Legendary as an example) a Legendary requires you to give up something (another upgrade in their slots) for it to balance out the fact that the really good & the rich (to help w/the grinds) will be able to farm them quicker than the average players...but extra skill points will give those players a huge advantage right away (they all have both enough ECXP & Free XP to get the extra points (no matter how high of a price/grind you place on them) that will make them instantly OP & make the grinds for the average players a lesson in futility while having to battle against all the unicums/whales that will have them in every battle (in short order if not right away depending only on the grind parameters) they try to play.

19 is as good as it's gonna get due to that I'm thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
71
[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
12,791 battles
4 hours ago, AMajor said:

5) Expert captains could not be used on Premium ships.

what

 

I don't entirely agree with the rest of your post, but I could at least follow the logic. This point number 5 of yours seems like a complete non sequitur, though. 

 

It requires the most explanation of any of your points, and yet has none.

 

Also, I disagree with point 5, and it'd cause riots bigger than the Giulio Cesare nerf proposal. Probably more comparable to the NTC announcement, maybe worse.

 

I'm still thinking about the rest of your post and am neither in agreement nor disagreement yet. Point 5 is a hard "NO, " though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,876
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles

I wish that the World of Tanks mechanic that allows you to focus your xp earnings on crew (Accelerate Crew Training) was applied to WoWS. It is an option you can take on premium or elite vehicles and apply that xp to training the crew, not to just accumulate on your tank. I have millions of xp on ships that I will never convert since the conversion cost is so high, even when it is on "sale". Since this isn't an option, it truly limits the usefulness of premium ships save for playing just for that first win and moving on. It is a huge reason I don't bother with getting any more premiums, even the free ones. I have a port filled with them, no need for any more since I can not play what I do have now. 

I suppose there should be a limit on captain skills if for nothing else, it keeps veteran players from just overwhelming newer players especially later on in the game (at mid-upper tiers). IMHO no matter what number they change it to, you will always feel that you need just one more point to get what you want. I suppose 19 is as good a number as any. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,882
[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles

None of my commanders have 19 skill points.
Even the ones that started with 10 skill points take a long time to gain 12 or 14 points.

The skill point system requires some decisions about what to emphasize in a Captain's training.  That is a good thing, I feel.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
603
[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,173 posts
7,226 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I wish that the World of Tanks mechanic that allows you to focus your xp earnings on crew (Accelerate Crew Training) was applied to WoWS. It is an option you can take on premium or elite vehicles and apply that xp to training the crew, not to just accumulate on your tank. I have millions of xp on ships that I will never convert since the conversion cost is so high, even when it is on "sale". Since this isn't an option, it truly limits the usefulness of premium ships save for playing just for that first win and moving on. It is a huge reason I don't bother with getting any more premiums, even the free ones. I have a port filled with them, no need for any more since I can not play what I do have now. 

I suppose there should be a limit on captain skills if for nothing else, it keeps veteran players from just overwhelming newer players especially later on in the game (at mid-upper tiers). IMHO no matter what number they change it to, you will always feel that you need just one more point to get what you want. I suppose 19 is as good a number as any. 

Got that right!

Sadly, even tho early WoWs was "WoT on water" (WG admitted this a while ago), some of the good parts like crews, never made it to a WoWs. Sadly, this could have been a great part of the game, working on crews, different crew setups. Engineers for speed, gunners for reload and accuracy, aircrew, machinists for repairs.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,876
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles
23 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

None of my commanders have 19 skill points.
Even the ones that started with 10 skill points take a long time to gain 12 or 14 points.

The skill point system requires some decisions about what to emphasize in a Captain's training.  That is a good thing, I feel.  :-)

At first, getting that first 19 point captain seems to take forever. Once you get one, it is easier to get more. The best way to grind out 19 point captains, is to learn the OPs and once you got them down, use your best camos & signals and farm away. If you are good enough, you can easily put away 20k+ of xp per match and will get that first 19 pointer quickly. Using that same 19 point captain, you can farm elite captain xp and apply that to another. 

The first OP in the game was Dunkirk, and once I had it figured out and was consistently getting 5 star wins, I used my best camo & signals along with premium time and went nuts. By the time that first OP was over (it was time limited), I had two 19 point captains and was working on a third. It is best to get your first 19 point captain for a nation that you have the most premium ships for and play them once a day for the first win bonus. Everything adds up over time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
374
[HMCSH]
Beta Testers
1,591 posts
19,634 battles
6 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

I'd like to see some ships available for Cap'n XP to make use of some of this...
image.png.5d81c649d70cedd423f49373f0e36514.png

I suppose ...but Captain xp is alot easier to accumulate than FXP . Why not just use it to improve your captains? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,569
[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
11 hours ago, AMajor said:

After fiddling around with Captain's skills moving some of my captains from tech tree to premium ships and back, plus being a little frustrated with the ultimate build out of some of my 19 pt captains, I have an idea.  How many times have you wished that you could have just ONE more 3 pt skill to put give your best captains?  It's always that one skill that you know could help you fight your ships better but you have to compromise.

My idea is that WOWs allow us to earn 21 pt "Expert Captains".  Here's the parameters that I'm thinking of:

1) They would be specific to a class and Nation (i.e. USN dds, IJN cruisers, Russian BBs).  They could not be used across classes (can't use a USN dd expert captain in a USN cruiser, BB, or CV).

2) Each account would have a limit on the number of Expert Captains (say 2 per ship class).  That would force players to decide on those nations/classes that they want to have one of these captains.  It means that no player can have an expert on every nation and class.

3) Achieving one of these captains should be hard, but should not be dependent on competitive play (I'm thinking specifically about Clan play).  Earning them should be a reward for individual play, but it can't be so high that only the best players can achieve it.  It should be attainable, but not without some serious effort (much like the Legendary Upgrades).

4) Once you have one of these "Expert Captains" you could move them into any of their Nation/Line specialties and change captains skills without being charged doubloons.

5) Expert captains could not be used on Premium ships.

6) If you're using an Expert Captain, there should be some type of marker on your ship that indicates that your ship is so equipped in game.  I realize that it will mean that you will be focused on by the red team, but it only seem fair since you'll be bringing a gun to a knife fight.

I'm not even sure that this is possible for the programmers to build into the game, but I think that it would be a great goal for players to works towards.  I'm now looking to all of you to think about the unintended consequences and to add or subtract to my parameters.  If we all can come to some sort of consensus, I will propose it as a change to the WOWs development group.

What do you all think?     

 

11 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I just don't see why captains are limited to 19 points.

So you have to make choices in your captains and not just stack them with every applicable skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
976
[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
12 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

I'd like to see some ships available for Cap'n XP to make use of some of this...
image.png.5d81c649d70cedd423f49373f0e36514.png

I'd rather not. The ships would probably be in the range of 5 mil (as it's way easier to get), and, seeing as that means you can't train commanders with it anymore, would kinda suck for anyone who still needs more 19 point commanders, as it'd be inevitable that certain ships would be removed before many can even start saving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×