You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

T4 CV Drop Planes

20 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,357 posts
14,156 battles

Ok, so I was knocking off a couple of "easy" stars tonight in Naval Battles and decided to dust of Hermes and take it out for a spin.  Been a long time since I'd played T4 CVs.

Lo and behold, it's a full squad match with 3 CVs per side.  Just painful to endure for T2 and T3 ships, no doubt.  So it got me thinking, and here's my question......if WG is unwilling to budge on a hard cap on low/mid tier CVs per match, can the possibility be considered to allow T4 CVs to drop fighter plane cover?  I mean, T2/T3/T4 ships basically have no AA anyway, and as a CV player, it feels really handicapped to not be able to help those ship out at all in any way.  Heck, even if it was just a weak fighter group to help out.....something is better than nothing for these guys.

I'd hate to see for potential new players quit this game at low tiers because they feel they CV over-prevalence at low tiers is insurmountable and/or not enjoyable.

• Cool 2

[0456]
Members
3,620 posts
9,586 battles

Yeah I finally stepped back into cv play and that whole 3 CV per side thing is painful since we can’t actually help the team deal with the 3 cv on the other side. I’m flying past attack aircraft going the other way. We’re practically waving at one another as we go by having 0 to do with one another until there is nobody left to sink.

It’s [edited]stupid. And now that I’m actually playing CVs again I feel like I’m allowed to say it. 

[SIM]
Members
4,934 posts
8,014 battles

In my opinion, tier IV CVs either need deployable fighters, or they need to be removed from the game. Not being able to deploy fighters in a tier bracket where ships can literally have no AA is absurd. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,357 posts
14,156 battles
3 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

In my opinion, tier IV CVs either need deployable fighters, or they need to be removed from the game. Not being able to deploy fighters in a tier bracket where ships can literally have no AA is absurd. 

Agreed 100%.  Felt so useless as a CV not being able to protect my (low-level AA) team.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Modder
650 posts
799 battles

No one ever seems to suggest removing the ships with no AA :Smile_trollface: It definitely would help out the team though if tier IV CVs has fighter drops.

[FML]
Members
3,942 posts
15,503 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Ok, so I was knocking off a couple of "easy" stars tonight in Naval Battles and decided to dust of Hermes and take it out for a spin.  Been a long time since I'd played T4 CVs.

Lo and behold, it's a full squad match with 3 CVs per side.  Just painful to endure for T2 and T3 ships, no doubt.  So it got me thinking, and here's my question......if WG is unwilling to budge on a hard cap on low/mid tier CVs per match, can the possibility be considered to allow T4 CVs to drop fighter plane cover?  I mean, T2/T3/T4 ships basically have no AA anyway, and as a CV player, it feels really handicapped to not be able to help those ship out at all in any way.  Heck, even if it was just a weak fighter group to help out.....something is better than nothing for these guys.

I'd hate to see for potential new players quit this game at low tiers because they feel they CV over-prevalence at low tiers is insurmountable and/or not enjoyable.

So, the problem with that is  the skill gap between experienced and inexperienced CV players.  Imagine your team had 2 CVs that knew what they were doing, that they had a fighter consumable, knew how to use it, and where to deploy it to good effect, and the enemy team had CVs who were brand new; the result would be a rofflestomp as enemy CVs would be largely shut down and yours would run rampant against ships with no AA. 

With everyone neutered, then there is less to be gained through a difference in skill...

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,124 posts
4,088 battles
1 hour ago, Mailman653 said:

No one ever seems to suggest removing the ships with no AA :Smile_trollface: It definitely would help out the team though if tier IV CVs has fighter drops.

I mean it would reduce the low tier grind on most nations:Smile_teethhappy:

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

T2 ships (outside of fail divisions) can't see T4 ships. MM is +/-1 from T2-T4.

Aside from that, 100% agree. Since the start of the CV rework, I've always felt that no fighters was dumb. Take my torp heal, heck, even take my speed boost consumable, but for the love of god give them fighters. It's bad enough not having them, but so many people think we do! It's frustrating having to explain that T4 CVs have no deployable fighter, and is doubly weird when the CVs themselves get protection.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,648 posts
34,929 battles

Agreed.

Also, I never understood the rationale behind allowing multiple CVs. One per side should be enough at any tier.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,377 posts
20,047 battles

Lol well almost a year later T4 still has no fighter consumables for aircraft carriers, most surface ships have little to no AA values, oh and lets put multiple CVs in the game per side.

Great thinking comrade the new players will love it:cap_like:

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
7 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

+1

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
7 hours ago, Mailman653 said:

Stick close to the CV and use its' AA for your own ship?  :-)
Probably an idea that won't 'take off', but oh well.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles
8 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Lo and behold, it's a full squad match with 3 CVs per side. 

"Challenge accepted" is my response to such conditions.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,218 posts
5,689 battles
8 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Deployable fighters but won't necessary change the TIV CV playing, farming plenty damage with torps.

[WOLF7]
Members
163 posts
10 hours ago, Mailman653 said:

No one ever seems to suggest removing the ships with no AA :Smile_trollface: 

Then there would be no battles except 3 CV vs 3 CV, (which is perfectly acceptable.)

2 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Also, I never understood the rationale behind allowing multiple CVs. One per side should be enough at any tier.

One of the major reasons for the rework was so the inter-actions and the interrelationship of the CV to the other types was equivalent in ability to effect the battle having fun for both sides to those between the other types among themselves. 

The fact that the CVs soft and hard caps are significantly lower than those for BBs and DDs show that the rework was a total FAILure.

[-K-]
Members
8,357 posts
14,156 battles
2 hours ago, franz_von_goltz said:

Deployable fighters but won't necessary change the TIV CV playing, farming plenty damage with torps.

I disagree.  At least it would introduce a small level of defensive play for CVs, rather than just being all offense like they are now.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,096 battles
11 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

The tier III and IV BBs in the game were designed and built while navies were tinkering with carriers, and were not designed to meet an air threat other than the occasional land-based spotter plane. Many of them have effectively no AA. 

I see two possible solutions: either give the low tier BBs real AA, or eliminate low tier CV's or cap them at one per side. 

Giving CVs at low tier a fighter consumable does not mean that helpless surface ships will get any counter to aircraft. 

Edited by Pugilistic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
890 posts
2,016 battles

This is something that has been a pet peeve of mine since I returned to the game a couple weeks back. I've been derping around in the lower tiers, trying to get my sea-legs again before taking out my more expensive ships in the higher tiers. Without fail, my tier 3 to 5 ships are often subject to games with 2 CV's per side.

I got sick of it and decided to grab a Hosho and join in - only to find myself in 3 CV battles quite often and walking out feeling part of the problem.

And yet - when I brave the upper tiers where I have AA to defend myself.... no CV's in sight.  Very annoying....

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
9 hours ago, gslick said:

The fact that the CVs soft and hard caps are significantly lower than those for BBs and DDs show that the rework was a total FAILure.

Honestly, it's more that the playerbase whined it into being rather than it even being all that necessary, as all it would have taken is to work on balance rather than capping T10 CVs. If anything, large numbers of CVs are annoying to play against, not especially potent. There's a difference.

The only real issues in my book (other than slingshotting, which I think should be removed) start to come in with heavy team play between CVs. So long as there is a cap of 1 on number of CVs per division, I feel that the current CVs are fairly balanced. If you could make 2 or even 3 CV divisions with good communication, however, that would be OP, as it'd be like one team showing the enemy the horrors of pre-rework CVs.

In the end, just like always, teamwork is OP.

That said, I feel that a CV's greatest strength is to curb the strength of DDs. Even today, DDs left to do their own thing unmolested are what win games more than any other type of ship, CVs included. It's a CV's job to ensure that can't happen by finding a nice DD to moles-

Okay, I'm not going to finish that sentence.

I feel I may have played Ark Royal too much. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

Need the option of a controlled fighter squadron added so you can fly around hunting down the other CV's planes.