Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainKaitoGhost

Question about inconsistent torpedo damage

8 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,679 posts
2,621 battles

Unfortunately I don't have screenshots as evidence, but during my last gaming session I had something that raised my eyebrow.  Playing d'Aosta, caught a Farragut with a lucky torp into smoke.  Did 6k damage to the Farragut, which seemed low to me at the time.  Farragut survived the torp hit.  Couple matches later, did the same thing to an Edinburgh, only this time the torpedo did 12k damage.  D'Aosta torp alpha is listed as 13k.  Why did it only do half that to the Farragut?  I can't imagine any DD has great torpedo protection stats.  Is it because the Farragut lacks a citadel?  Don't believe it was due to damage saturation, as the Farragut was pretty much full health before the torp hit.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Damage

Every torpedo has 2 types of damage, splash and alpha. The listed damage in the port is calculated with "alpha / 3 + splash". Splash can also hurt the neighboring sector such as superstructure, casemate and so on.

1. Torpedo hits into bow/stern -- deals 16.5% of alpha and splash damage to "entire hull" and "bow/stern" respectively.
  2. Torpedo hits into citadel -- reduced damage. Coefficient can be found here. Alpha damage of torpedo is multiplied by a value on the table. Torpedo Protection also decreases the chance of flooding.
  3. Torpedo hits the mid-section of a destroyer -- reduced damage. 33% of alpha damage.

After Update 0.7.11, a torpedo hitting a ship in any such part will cause guaranteed damage of 10% of the maximum damage it could potentially cause.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Torpedoes

This might help your question. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,441 posts
4,198 battles

Damage saturation is most likely on the DD. Ship models are divided into subsections, which each have their own HP pool. If a section has it's HP pool depleted, then further hits to that section do much reduced damage. So a torp hit on a saturation section of a DD (like the bow) will do much less damage than full alpha. Splash damage is also done, which further confuses the damage number.

In addition to saturation, most BBs and cruisers have torpedo damage reduction (TDR) belts. These reduce the torp damage by some percentage, from a couple of percent for some light cruisers, all the way up to a whopping 50% on the Yamato and Alabama. So a lot of factors that go into torp damage, the alpha damage is a start, and then several things usually reduce it. They still hurt though.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,679 posts
2,621 battles
14 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Damage saturation is most likely on the DD. Ship models are divided into subsections, which each have their own HP pool. If a section has it's HP pool depleted, then further hits to that section do much reduced damage. So a torp hit on a saturation section of a DD (like the bow) will do much less damage than full alpha. Splash damage is also done, which further confuses the damage number.

In addition to saturation, most BBs and cruisers have torpedo damage reduction (TDR) belts. These reduce the torp damage by some percentage, from a couple of percent for some light cruisers, all the way up to a whopping 50% on the Yamato and Alabama. So a lot of factors that go into torp damage, the alpha damage is a start, and then several things usually reduce it. They still hurt though.

Farragut was at almost full health.  Doubt it was damage saturation.

[WORX]
Members
11,465 posts
19,211 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Unfortunately I don't have screenshots as evidence, but during my last gaming session I had something that raised my eyebrow.  Playing d'Aosta, caught a Farragut with a lucky torp into smoke.  Did 6k damage to the Farragut, which seemed low to me at the time.  Farragut survived the torp hit.  Couple matches later, did the same thing to an Edinburgh, only this time the torpedo did 12k damage.  D'Aosta torp alpha is listed as 13k.  Why did it only do half that to the Farragut?  I can't imagine any DD has great torpedo protection stats.  Is it because the Farragut lacks a citadel?  Don't believe it was due to damage saturation, as the Farragut was pretty much full health before the torp hit.

You should've Prnt scrn the "detail report" part of the end game summery...

Top hit is one DMG dealer... Flood DMG is the other... With out those details in the "detail report," I dont think the question can be answered with great accuracy.

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
8 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Farragut was at almost full health.  Doubt it was damage saturation.

Overall HP levels have nothing to do with damage saturation.  I'm about to simply this to a crazy degree, but basically each ship has a separate potential HP pool for each section of the ship.  The ship can only take HP damage if the section that was hit has potential HP to lose.

For example, lets say a theoretical DD has 12k HP.  However, the bow section of the DD only has 5k potential HP.  This is supposed to a vague representation of the maximum amount of damage losing the bow entirely would do to the ship.  If anything that does more than 5k damage hits the bow of the DD, any damage past that 5k will be effectively ignored.  That's "full saturation".  Any further HE damage into that section would also be reduced to zero. There's also partial saturation where damage taken is effectively halved, and that can kick in much sooner.

Just a note:  the above is a huge simplification of the mechanics that's more focused on the outcomes.  The actual mechanics behind damage saturation are a real messy.  Like extremely messy.

Sign in to follow this