Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

A Casual Observation On Italian Cruisers In Action

16 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,919 posts
23,620 battles

There are lot of posts and threads about RM Cruisers with my feeling that so far its in the negative in general, I only have the 2 tiers 5's I have played a total of 3 games in random and luck has been on my side for all 3 games.

I have played quite lot of Coop in them and found what I think might be one good quality in them so far, and that is there AA suite, they seem to shoot down a lot of planes.

Again I would like to point I have  the 2 Tier 5's and of course BOT CV's are not the best when attacking as apposed to human CV players.

Still it has me wondering whether WG is making the line designed to be a AA support ship for the Capital ships, again I would like to point out that I'm just speculating as the higher Tier Cruisers may have crap AA. 

If this is indeed the case it has its PRO's and CON's.

Knocking out enemy air squads from striking your Heavy Cruisers, Battleships and or Carriers is always good thing the down side you might find yourself to far back to hit anything with your own guns for quite some time in battle.

If this is the case and WG has made the Italian Cruisers AA orientated for National Flavour this would seem a strange move as the only CV the Navy had was RM Aquila which was never operational during the war unfortunately.

So this doctrine was never tested in war time.

Anyway that's my observations so far. 

regards      

[RLGN]
Members
14,847 posts
26,354 battles

All I know is Italian SAP is probably going to be like RN SAP...

...it’s great for everyone except me.

[POP]
Members
2,919 posts
23,620 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

All I know is Italian SAP is probably going to be like RN SAP...

...it’s great for everyone except me.

You forgot to mention the crappy torpedo speed

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,878 battles
Just now, tm63au said:

You forgot to mention the crappy torpedo speed

Is it wrong that I use Torpedo Acceleration as one of my 19pt commander skills on Zara?

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,260 battles
30 minutes ago, tm63au said:

There are lot of posts and threads about RM Cruisers with my feeling that so far its in the negative in general, I only have the 2 tiers 5's I have played a total of 3 games in random and luck has been on my side for all 3 games.

I have played quite lot of Coop in them and found what I think might be one good quality in them so far, and that is there AA suite, they seem to shoot down a lot of planes.

Again I would like to point I have  the 2 Tier 5's and of course BOT CV's are not the best when attacking as apposed to human CV players.

Still it has me wondering whether WG is making the line designed to be a AA support ship for the Capital ships, again I would like to point out that I'm just speculating as the higher Tier Cruisers may have crap AA. I

I have T5-7 and they all seem to have decent AA, but I only play them in coop. I don't dare take something that awful into Randoms. With the idiotic 2 Tier MM spread, and uptiered 2 tiers 40% of the time, they seem to have a low fun potential and are easy kills. I've smoked too many in BBs....

I am currently just going to grind them slowly up to T10, in hope that WG will do some snowflakes again this year.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,919 posts
23,620 battles
4 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Is it wrong that I use Torpedo Acceleration as one of my 19pt commander skills on Zara?

Its a good point you know I have been thinking that myself when the time comes, they really need more speed and would rather sacrifice distance if need be. 

[POP]
Members
2,919 posts
23,620 battles
2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I have T5-7 and they all seem to have decent AA, but I only play them in coop. I don't dare take something that awful into Randoms. With the idiotic 2 Tier MM spread, and uptiered 2 tiers 40% of the time, they seem to have a low fun potential and are easy kills. I've smoked too many in BBs....

I am currently just going to grind them slowly up to T10, in hope that WG will do some snowflakes again this year.

Same here I forgot to switch over to Coop in one of my games in Raimondo thank god we had good team I didn't do to bad in her but there was no way I going to push, I stay in the middle of the pack and still got smashed was lucky to come through the game still floating.

There fun in Coop as long as you understand you turn sideways your toast inside 5 seconds.

I'm going to stick with them it will same as you a slow grind in Coop no rush.

cheers

[SALVO]
Members
25,426 posts
27,339 battles
14 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Not really.  One of the things about these RM CAs is that they're not as skill demanding as other cruisers, particularly CLs that HE spam.  The RM CAs don't need to put points into DE and/or IFHE, so there are 7 points that can go elsewhere.  And I can see someone using 2 of them on Torp Accel.

[RLGN]
Members
14,847 posts
26,354 battles
3 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

I’ll likely just play my minimum number of games, (5 each, PvP and PvE,) up to the T5 I drew from a container, (basically ‘filling in the gaps’ below the ship I drew,) then will abandon the line.

20k plus games, and the number of ships I’ve played 300+ games in can be counted on the fingers of one hand, two at the most. I don’t see any point in continuing to dilute that any further.

[SALVO]
Members
25,426 posts
27,339 battles
10 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Its a good point you know I have been thinking that myself when the time comes, they really need more speed and would rather sacrifice distance if need be. 

I don't know.    More speed would be nice.  But the problem with the range sacrifice is that it reduces the range below your concealment which makes the accel'd torps unable to be stealth launched, which is something worthwhile, because if you're in a ship with torps and you make a maneuver that seems to clearly indicate that you may have launched torps, the enemy may make speed and course changes that screw up your aim.  OTOH, when you stealth launch, they don't see you opening up your broadside, and even if you start firing your guns, they may overlook the possibility that you had launched before firing the guns. 

It's a tricky decision.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,878 battles
13 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Zara's torps can still reach out to 9.5km with TA, which I find perfectly adequate for ambush/self defense.  The extra speed, however minimal, does help.

[POP]
Members
2,919 posts
23,620 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't know.    More speed would be nice.  But the problem with the range sacrifice is that it reduces the range below your concealment which makes the accel'd torps unable to be stealth launched, which is something worthwhile, because if you're in a ship with torps and you make a maneuver that seems to clearly indicate that you may have launched torps, the enemy may make speed and course changes that screw up your aim.  OTOH, when you stealth launch, they don't see you opening up your broadside, and even if you start firing your guns, they may overlook the possibility that you had launched before firing the guns. 

It's a tricky decision.

Good Point

cheers

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,270 posts
12,140 battles

how ive learned the best way to play italian cruisers, either stay in Coop where bots broadside you all day, or just dont play them

• Boring 1

[UFFA]
Members
2,116 posts
75 battles

Until TVIII when your entire midrange aura is sacrificed for short range aura. Because the artists apparently got a hard on for two particular AA batteries. :Smile-_tongue:

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

I think the skill floor on the Italian cruisers is absurdly bad.  If you can hold a shot, pick a good target, etc., the SAP is devastating.  Especially the 203mm stuff.  I didn't like my Montecucoli, but I have greatly enjoyed the Genova.  

[KAPPA]
Members
1,341 posts
7,803 battles

My impressions from playing tiers 5-7 are actually reasonably good, but it's very much not a beginner's cruiser line. The T5 tech tree boat could do with a small ROF buff, I think. T6 does pretty well, but unfortunately, the T7 is too much like the T6, but one tier higher. I haven't quite figured out what Zara needs yet, but I think she could do with some tweaking. Still I've been doing reasonably well considering. I only got the mission for the T8 today, so can't speak to that yet (don't ask how many containers it took or how much of a whale I was trying to get it). I'm still working on when to switch between shell types, but I'm managing to pull my weight and then some, even with the Genova.

Sign in to follow this