You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BurstKiLL

RN Carriers get better after tier IV?

13 comments in this topic

[VCRUZ]
Members
2 posts
1,138 battles

Hello guys,

Tbh,  I never posted anything there, I'm not to much the  forum guy, I mostly rely on friends to help me as they are old players in the game and know a lot.  However while I  was testing Trento, I got an uptier match against 2 carriers that,  well, they sent me to port faster than I loaded  the game. There is no word to describe how frustrated I was.  After that match I decided to get a carrier, I was so pissed that I needed to give a try.

My friends are those guys who despite carriers and for the first time I couldn't get their help. So I chose UK Carriers because well, I liked to see  lots of bombs falling and exploding. But I got Hosho too, I had enough exp on Isokaze to get it without playing more.

I played not MUCH, but a bunch of battles with both. My impressions on them was that, while UK seems more focused on fires and somewhat floodings (when they happen, because 1 torp are kinda depressing) and Hosho seems more all round, they can do a good damage to everything with her torpedos and make hell to cruisers and battleships with good landed AP bombs. I can get good damage numbers with both, sometimes,  but Hosho seems to do more raw and reliable damage with two torps and Cidadels with AP bombs. Hermes can do well to,  but their HE bombs just are not that great, they can rack some damage here and there but are not that reliable with their bad penetration. While I can get 6k in one fly with Hosho, Hermes with I get lucky I do 2~3k and only 8% fire chance are unreliable.

So let's get to the point. I like the visuals of lots of bombs falling, but I like more to see my bombs doing something. I don't want to keep going with RN carriers if this will keep happening, It's just frustrating not being able to penetrate, I mostly like RN carriers because of the bombs, their one torpedo sucks...

So, After Hermes, It get better? Are RN carriers worth the time?

[WOLF3]
Members
21,973 posts
20,181 battles

RN CVs only get good at Tier X, IMO.  A major issue is their carpet bombers.  They're very low pen and don't drop many of them.  Tier VIII Implacable's carpet bombers are still horrible.  Only with X Audacious, they're still low pen bombs, but she drops SO MANY of them that you land a bunch of hits, even if you do a non-optimal perpendicular attack run.

The rocket fighters are decent enough, they're real good against DDs.

The TBs are great.

But the carpet bombers in the tech tree below X Audacious are all outright garbage.

The reality is that even at Tier VIII, you rely too much on your TBs for damage, and as a result they bleed off planes real quick.  When you have to use the carpet bombers, there's a growing distaste in the mouth.  They're awful.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,871 posts
11,114 battles

Furious is fun. Still highly dependent on you team. Implacable, meh. Don't have the Audacious yet but I've heard good things.

Members
1,002 posts
5,794 battles
51 minutes ago, BurstKiLL said:

Hello guys,

Tbh,  I never posted anything there, I'm not to much the  forum guy, I mostly rely on friends to help me as they are old players in the game and know a lot.  However while I  was testing Trento, I got an uptier match against 2 carriers that,  well, they sent me to port faster than I loaded  the game. There is no word to describe how frustrated I was.  After that match I decided to get a carrier, I was so pissed that I needed to give a try.

My friends are those guys who despite carriers and for the first time I couldn't get their help. So I chose UK Carriers because well, I liked to see  lots of bombs falling and exploding. But I got Hosho too, I had enough exp on Isokaze to get it without playing more.

I played not MUCH, but a bunch of battles with both. My impressions on them was that, while UK seems more focused on fires and somewhat floodings (when they happen, because 1 torp are kinda depressing) and Hosho seems more all round, they can do a good damage to everything with her torpedos and make hell to cruisers and battleships with good landed AP bombs. I can get good damage numbers with both, sometimes,  but Hosho seems to do more raw and reliable damage with two torps and Cidadels with AP bombs. Hermes can do well to,  but their HE bombs just are not that great, they can rack some damage here and there but are not that reliable with their bad penetration. While I can get 6k in one fly with Hosho, Hermes with I get lucky I do 2~3k and only 8% fire chance are unreliable.

So let's get to the point. I like the visuals of lots of bombs falling, but I like more to see my bombs doing something. I don't want to keep going with RN carriers if this will keep happening, It's just frustrating not being able to penetrate, I mostly like RN carriers because of the bombs, their one torpedo sucks...

Furious is definitely better than Hermes.
Planes are faster, more torpedoes per attack/drop, HE bombs are nice to use against Destroyers and Cruisers, so you can hunt DD's with both rockets and bombs once you've got your aiming & timing down pat.

Can't speak to the British Tier-8 CV, but that would involve a grind through the XP from T-6 to T-8 anyway.  So, plenty of time for that later.

Ark Royal is a fun premium CV, even though it still has biplanes, but the squadrons drop more ordnance per attack than Hermes.
But, the planes from Furious are faster monoplanes, which makes a difference in getting to and returning from an attack zone.

IJN CV Ryujo uses AP bombs instead of HE bombs.  Such bombs are best used against battleships, but they'll still cause some damage to a destroyer or cruiser that they over-penetrate.
The torpedoes of Japanese are faster in the water, which is nice (because there is less time for a target to react).
Rockets are best used for hunting destroyers, but they'll annoy any other ship that gets hit by them, too.

Personally, I like the British CV's.  I've got the Hermes, the Furious and the Ark Royal.
I definitely like the Japanese CV's.  I've got the Hosho and the Ryujo and had the Zuiho before the CV-rework.
I'm working towards acquiring the Shokaku.
Graf Zeppelin is fun, too, for a change of pace ,and for an exercise in masochism that involves facing Tier-10 AA fire when up-tiered in a match.  :-D
I recently acquired the Ranger.  She's the "vanilla" carrier of the bunch.  Does everything decently, but has few quirks or specializations to speak of.

Just so you know, playing CV in co-op games may not be very profitable.  Playing a CV in randoms or in Operations offers more rewards.
Furious is well suited to Operations, in my experience (as long as you keep your eye on the drunken autopilot helmsman).  :-D

I used to run into islands a lot, before they improved the autopilot feature of the game.  Now it works much better.

Good luck and enjoy your CV's.  :-)

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
spelling correction

[RLGN]
Members
11,664 posts
20,643 battles
31 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Furious is fun. Still highly dependent on you team. Implacable, meh. Don't have the Audacious yet but I've heard good things.

Furious is ugly as Sin.

Have Audacious, but only because I broke down and spent some of the credits and fxp I accumulated over the last four years and doubled the number of T10s I had, (because of anniversary containers, from 7 to 14.)

Do I like it?

Apparently not; since I didn’t even bother to equip modules, just threw in some random 3-5 point captain that was lying around with free retraining, only played it once or twice in Co-op for the container, and haven’t cared to play it since.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,831 posts
16,481 battles
1 hour ago, BurstKiLL said:

Hello guys,

Only have up to t8.

The serous advantage is holding "s" key and turning on a dime with torpedoe planes.

Their planes are slower so the focused AA on 1 plane is a bit of a bummer, but yes they get better.

[TF16B]
Modder
426 posts
607 battles

If your wallet is bursting at the seams, try Ark Royal, I find the ship to be lots of fun even with its slow poke planes.

[VCRUZ]
Members
2 posts
1,138 battles

I got more answers than I expected, Thanks everyone

I  asked this question just to know if was worth to Free Exp through Hermes, but I got different opinions about the RN CV line so kinda  don't know.

However I notice one thing, no one of you answered the question "Are they worth the time?".

Maybe you guys just didn't remember the question but, 7 people not answering it says a lot to me about RN carriers.

Members
1,002 posts
5,794 battles
7 hours ago, BurstKiLL said:

I got more answers than I expected, Thanks everyone

I  asked this question just to know if was worth to Free Exp through Hermes, but I got different opinions about the RN CV line so kinda  don't know.

However I notice one thing, no one of you answered the question "Are they worth the time?".

Maybe you guys just didn't remember the question but, 7 people not answering it says a lot to me about RN carriers.

I spent time & credits to acquire Furious.  I feel it was worth my effort.  :-)

[ADOPT]
Members
77 posts
3,294 battles

I used to main the Imp, the level bombers on it are tricky and really only ideal for soft targets. That being said, nothing routs a camper faster than having one of them burn them out from behind the island, and as a bonus it also does great at blowing AA to bits.

[UTWE]
Members
335 posts
4,688 battles

Yes. All 3 higher carriers are awesome so fun. Never judge a line until you've at least gotten to T6 which is where the line starts getting unique.

[UTWE]
Members
335 posts
4,688 battles
On 11/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, Harathan said:

*shrug* I get on really well with Implacable, and her level-bombers are my bread and butter. That said, RN CVs are, in my opinion, dead last if ranked against the effectiveness of US and IJN CVs. They don't do anything well enough compared to the other nations.

They're better at killing DD's at T10. Audacious's rockets are so strong, they can do about 10 per attack.

[BGA]
Members
46 posts
4,024 battles
On 11/8/2019 at 3:34 PM, BurstKiLL said:

Hello guys,

I have played all the IJN, USN, and RN carriers Tier IVs up to Tier VIIIs.  I have unlocked the Tier X Midway and Audacious, but I am still working on earning credits to buy them (lol it is a long grind :cap_book:)

Anyway.….as for the Royal Navy carriers, much has already been said about them by the people who have commented above...but I shall tell you what I think of them:

Tier IV Hermes: decent planes.  The carpet bombers miss frequently, but if they do connect, they are likely to cause fires.  

Tier VI Furious: much better than the Hermes. Her torpedo bombers have a great aim angle that if used properly, make it difficult for enemy ships to dodge, and it also makes it easier to launch torpedo strikes on enemy ships that are angled or facing directly at/directly away from your planes....this is a lot different from the American and Japanese carriers that have straight-torpedo aim angles which require you to attack enemy ships that are mostly broadside to your planes.  Her carpet bombers are also a lot better than the Hermes, same goes for the rocket planes.

Tier VIII Implaccable: to me, one of the best Tier VIII carriers in the game (apart from the premium Tier VIII carriers).  Her planes last longer than the Lexington's and Shokaku's , due to the higher HP pool that they have, and the rocket planes and carpet bombers are excellent.  The torpedo bombers are also good, from my experience.  Despite how slow the torpedoes are, they have the great attack angle like what the Furious has.  Plus, she comes with her own permanent camouflage "Wings of the Crown" if you complete the RN Air plane collection, and it has an lovely crimson-texture.  

Overall RN carriers: they are great armor as carriers, have high HP pool planes, and can start fires with their numerous bombs and rockets.  And their torpedo bombers have great attack angles.  

I even got my first--and so far only--Solo Warrior achievement in my HMS Implaccable…..my team managed to hold the capture points for so long, that we were at 887 points or something like that....when my team's allies all got sunk, but I was still alive and detected.  All the enemy battleships and cruisers kept firing at me, but the armored deck and armored hull of the Implaccable withstood their bombardment until the timer ran out, and my team and I won the match on the most points.  It was amazing......I loved that match. 

So highly recommend that you play the RN carriers.  I have not tried out the Audacious yet....but I hope that she is fun as well.