You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

Been Gone a Year - What did I miss (and should i come back)

33 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

I quit during the great CV reboot and the subsequent mauling of destroyers (my preferred ship). 

What have I missed (truces???) and have things gotten any better? 

My entire goal for the 4 months before I quit was to achieve the 90k (120k? the top tier one) damage medal with destroyers. I was close a couple of times, but the CV rework meant that I would be spotted all the time and likely sunk, killing my average. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,754 battles
1 minute ago, OgreMkV said:

I quit during the great CV reboot and the subsequent mauling of destroyers (my preferred ship). 

My entire goal for the 4 months before I quit was to achieve the 90k (120k? the top tier one) damage medal with destroyers. I was close a couple of times, but the CV rework meant that I would be spotted all the time and likely sunk, killing my average. 

The CVs have been tweaked a lot since the rework started. Some feel that CVs are OP. Some think CVs are worthless. Give it a try again.

Not to mention Italian cruiser line should drop Wednesday, November 13th.

Members
606 posts
7,511 battles
7 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Tier 6 and below usually sucks [edited]$$.. But your CV RNg will vary. Upper tier depends on the CV player but in a DD it all depends if you get focused. Much harder to score higher overall though. 

Edited by Steeler_Nation_USA

Members
479 posts
9,021 battles

I took a year off and came back recently...it’s still fun and infuriating at the same time.  I guess that’s why we play.

CV’s are OP now, but I am a DD main.  CV’s have made playing a DD that much harder if not impossible sometimes.  BB play is the same.  Cruiser play I would say feels diminished.

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,141 posts
17,201 battles
21 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Welcome back. CV's are finally in a good place right now as far as power goes. Low tier's can have battles with 3 of them so that can be irritating. They can hit you but they do not hit hard. We have had French DD line come out, we are in early release for Italian CA full release next week. Subs are in the works officially but not in the game yet.

Great time to be a Warships player.

Cheers.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,409 battles

Not really any better imo. Any improvement of the CV situation has been mitigated by the addition of crap like the Smolboi.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,653 posts
11,708 battles

I was a long-time BB and cruiser main.   Totally neglected DDs until around June/July.    Hopped in and having a blast.   Just up to T9 DDs on the IJN line.  Everything else is T8 and below.    But they're a lot of fun.

Against CVs?  Your mileage may vary.

I never had an issue with CVs (except for T10) since 8.0 rolled them out.     Now that I've been playing DDs, I don't notice much difference in fearing the CVs.    Set AA off and don't run into common DD lanes.   Look for the CVs planes.  If they're on my side of the map, I stop and pause for a few.  or I make sure good AA is behind me in somewhat close coverage.   Hidden in plain sight works wonders.   Yep, there'll be a game or two where the CV wrecks me.   So what?   I get wrecked 10x as much when I get blapped by a BB in my cruiser.   

If the planes focus the other side?   Have fun!!!

Give it a try and test the waters.   Hope it works for you!

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
6,112 posts

I don't see any reason not to come back and play a few games to see how things are.  As far as CVs, the population is probably a little higher in lower tiers; carriers have about the same low population at high tiers as pre-rework.  The bad new is the CV will always get the better of any DD, if he chooses to target you.  The good news is many CV players ignore DDs as much as they can, its just easier to farm other ships.  The only good AA DDs are the Kidd, and the Friesland.  Gearing, and especially the Groz, used to be really good AA ships, not so much anymore.  Unless you are in one of the two good AA DDs I'm not sure its worth spec'ing into AA at all.  Good luck.

[POP]
Members
1,294 posts
10,144 battles

Thanks for the replies (I still love the community here). 

I played two battles in my true love, the Shimakaze. One win, sank a FDG, and 120k+ damage in each. No carriers to be seen. 

I might stick around for a while. Use up some of my dubloons for more port slots. 

[WORX]
Members
11,470 posts
19,211 battles
4 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

I played two battles in my true love, the Shimakaze. One win, sank a FDG, and 120k+ damage in each. No carriers to be seen. 

I might stick around for a while. Use up some of my dubloons for more port slots. 

I recommend to stay retired...

High tiers are nothing but CV/Radar/ GUN show... If you like that then go for it...

If not....

Play mid tiers until that becomes the gun show with the inclusion of Italian cruisers.

• Boring 2

Members
78 posts
1,292 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

The CVs have been tweaked a lot since the rework started. Some feel that CVs are OP.

CV's op in this rework? Well, the fighters with the rockets can seriously damage destroyers

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,680 posts
35,897 battles

I do not like CVs (do not own any) and been here the whole time of the rebork. Some people like them. More power to them.

What bugs me is that no effort has been done to fix and restore the ops that rely on AI CVs, and no comments or official news about when or if.

We want that idiot Parks back!

[PVE]
Members
6,953 posts
22,728 battles
1 hour ago, OgreMkV said:

CVs have been limited to 1/battle (w/a 2 Max cap if queues are high) for all tiers but T4 (which often sees 2 & sometimes 3 CVs...3 is the cap there) so you won't be focused by more than 1 at a time generally but they buffed AA pretty good I hear so unless a ship is way alone & out of position DDs trying to rush caps at the start are CVs bread & butter until later in game when some AA has been stripped.

Maybe jump in a BB or cruiser for a few battles to test the waters so your DD averages don't take a hit while checking...

9 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Oops...too late :-) 

[PVE]
Members
6,953 posts
22,728 battles
Just now, Sgt_Something_ said:

Refresh my memory again on parks

Bot...charges into the minefield at the start of Dynamo.

[SALVO]
Members
4,505 posts
20,711 battles
17 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

With the MM change tier 9 is the new tier 7 and seems to be the easiest to Queue out if carriers show up

T8- T10 cvs are only one per game for the most part and can be  mitigated some what

[POP]
Members
2,928 posts
23,726 battles
1 hour ago, OgreMkV said:

Well while you away the guys at LESTA watered your garden, fed the pets opened a lovely shop selling wonderful  FANTASY high Tier SUPER ships :Smile_veryhappy:

Did I miss anything  oh they paid your taxes I think.

regards 

[RLGN]
Members
14,950 posts
26,483 battles

9 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Bot...charges into the minefield at the start of Dynamo.

Parks is also apparently a bot AI in Co-op now. Was driving a Fiji when someone pointed it out a week or two ago.

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,754 battles
23 minutes ago, Sgt_Something_ said:

CV's op in this rework? Well, the fighters with the rockets can seriously damage destroyers

True. But some DD drivers don't see a problem with rocket planes and some do. Almost always, the DD drivers that don't have a problem with CVs recommend turning off the AA guns until the planes have spotted you.

20 minutes ago, Sgt_Something_ said:

Refresh my memory again on parks

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Operation_Dynamo

:Parks: is a bot controlling one of the transports. He goes into the minefield to show you it is dangerous and triggers a win condition upon dying.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,208 posts
7,500 battles
32 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

I took a break as well.....the word SUB did it for me. Ive played a few games this last week but still the impending introduction of subs weighs heavily.

Ive played a few matches in a fletch and haida and enjoyed them despite the presence of CV's. I play a little more conservatively and tend to group up with another DD for decent AA cover.

CV's have been nerfed a lot since the original rework but WG still hasnt addressed the excessive spotting capability....IE fighters should NOT SPOT for anyone other than the CV.

[-SPS-]
[-SPS-]
Members
39 posts
1,235 battles
22 hours ago, hipcanuck said:

I took a break as well.....the word SUB did it for me. Ive played a few games this last week but still the impending introduction of subs weighs heavily.

Ive played a few matches in a fletch and haida and enjoyed them despite the presence of CV's. I play a little more conservatively and tend to group up with another DD for decent AA cover.

CV's have been nerfed a lot since the original rework but WG still hasnt addressed the excessive spotting capability....IE fighters should NOT SPOT for anyone other than the CV.

Lord the word Sub has got me worried due to the fact that US Battleships which I've enjoyed playing mostly Arizona, I am not to terribly great in Random and with submarine's a talk of today, its got me more worried, but so far.... They are dominated by British CV's and destroyers, so there not as OP as many initially thought. Plus Islands screw with Torp lock on's so if you beach on an island if your gut goes off, then chances are you should be safe. But that doesn't mean your invincible, the disscussion of a few ASW Cruisers is also being talked about, due to the DD's being that one child doing everything.

Destroyers currently:

-Capping

-ASW

-Dodging CV rockets

-Getting killed a few minutes into battle sometimes

-Torpedoing Battleships and some cruisers

-Supporting the team

The list is more than likely longer but that's from my observations, mental notes, and knowledge from Notser. Point out any I should be aware of because I do enjoy the idea of seeing others perspectives. Here's something CV's and cruisers can do.

Crusiers:

- Supporting the team.

- Anti-air cover for Battleships

- ASW work alongside DD's, cruisers and CV's.

-Capping

I know there's more but this is only a basic idea of what is possible.

What CV's can do:

-ASW with team.

-Support for team.

-Sinking Yamato/ Supporting Yamato

-Killing other BB's

Anything else?

Members
24 posts
328 battles
1 hour ago, Hellcat11563 said:

Lord the word Sub has got me worried due to the fact that US Battleships which I've enjoyed playing mostly Arizona, I am not to terribly great in Random and with submarine's a talk of today, its got me more worried, but so far.... They are dominated by British CV's and destroyers, so there not as OP as many initially thought. Plus Islands screw with Torp lock on's so if you beach on an island if your gut goes off, then chances are you should be safe. But that doesn't mean your invincible, the disscussion of a few ASW Cruisers is also being talked about, due to the DD's being that one child doing everything.

Destroyers currently:

-Capping

-ASW

-Dodging CV rockets

-Getting killed a few minutes into battle sometimes

-Torpedoing Battleships and some cruisers

-Supporting the team

The list is more than likely longer but that's from my observations, mental notes, and knowledge from Notser. Point out any I should be aware of because I do enjoy the idea of seeing others perspectives. Here's something CV's and cruisers can do.

Crusiers:

- Supporting the team.

- Anti-air cover for Battleships

- ASW work alongside DD's, cruisers and CV's.

-Capping

I know there's more but this is only a basic idea of what is possible.

What CV's can do:

-ASW with team.

-Support for team.

-Sinking Yamato/ Supporting Yamato

-Killing other BB's

Anything else?

There are submarines in public matches?  I thought just in specific testing servers.