Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hookie_Bell

Happy Remembrance Day To All

13 comments in this topic

Members
274 posts

Just popped in to wish one and all a very happy, and hopefully thoughtful, weekend.

No matter what you may call it or where you might observe it around the world, the eleventh day of the eleventh month is very, very special. Special to all who have ever served and their families, both the living and the honoured dead.

Do keep the meaning in your thoughts. Wear a poppy, attend a memorial, raise a glass, or just take a moment to reflect on the occasion. I shall be at the Cenotaph in Whitehall on Sunday for the Commemorations.

Freedom has never been free, and never will be.

• Cool 14

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
791 posts
12,662 battles

To you as well. 

Here in the United States, Veteran's Day is Monday.  Sadly there are no Poppy pins like there are overseas.  Flags fly and I believe many Americans understand the day, but they don't understand the sacrifice made by the men, women and families of armed forces members.  Here is hoping that this improves and our current and past serving vets have a wonderful weekend.

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
102 posts
2,912 battles

in honour of my uncle Edmond, Canadian field Artillery,   KIA 12 April 1918 in France , thank you. and thanks to the Commonwealth War Graves  for attending so well to his grave in France

• Cool 5

[IRNBN]
Members
3,681 posts
10,705 battles
5 hours ago, Hookie_Bell said:

Just popped in to wish one and all a very happy, and hopefully thoughtful, weekend.

No matter what you may call it or where you might observe it around the world, the eleventh day of the eleventh month is very, very special. Special to all who have ever served and their families, both the living and the honoured dead.

Do keep the meaning in your thoughts. Wear a poppy, attend a memorial, raise a glass, or just take a moment to reflect on the occasion. I shall be at the Cenotaph in Whitehall on Sunday for the Commemorations.

I take it you are/were in the RN? I've seen videos of the British commemorative in London. Very moving indeed.

I'll be attending a function at my granddaughter's elementary school on Veteran's Day, an event for the kids sponsored by one of teachers who also happens to be an Iraq vet.

After that, a service at the local cemetary and an evening band concert in a neighboring town.

You can take the sailor out of the Navy, but you can't take the Navy out of the sailor.

Carry on, shipmate. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

[WPORT]
Members
6,595 posts
11,600 battles

I celebrate the USMC birthday 10 November, 1775 and follow it up with solemn contemplation & remembrance for "...eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month  ..."
Whether it be Armistice Day or Remembrance Day or Veteran's Day, it is a day worth commemorating.

Best wishes to everyone.

• Cool 2

Members
186 posts
801 battles
14 hours ago, Hookie_Bell said:

My family takes it pretty seriously. My grandpa was gassed in France in 1917. One uncle lost an eye and an ear in North Africa 1943, another was an assault boat coxswain on D-Day. Best friend in high school was killed in Nam in 1971. Nephew was wounded in Iraq.

Makes my Navy time seem like a garden party. So I always remember, and always honor. It's not corny or old-school, it's just what's right.

• Cool 3

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,385 battles
14 hours ago, Siegewolf said:

overseas

and, like, one step across an imaginary line to the north...

• Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,385 battles
15 hours ago, Hookie_Bell said:

Just popped in

Or, poppied on by?

Members
274 posts
13 minutes ago, legozer said:

Or, poppied on by?

I could have said "dropped in" but didn't want to be mistaken for a Para. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 2

Members
5 posts
11 hours ago, CruiserSailor said:

Makes my Navy time seem like a garden party. So I always remember, and always honor. It's not corny or old-school, it's just what's right.

Yup. Yes, sailors get hurt and killed regularly, even in peacetime, but every time I think of life in the infantry I'm glad I went USN.

Still, there is honor in service, whatever the kind. As Milton put it, "And post o'er land and ocean without rest: They also serve who only stand and wait."

Salute! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
233 posts
1,428 battles

In honour of my grandfather, who was one of thousands of Newfoundlanders who served in the RN in WW2, I'd like to wish the best of all Remembrance/Veteran's/Armistice Days to everyone.

My grandfather joined up and sailed for England in December 1939. He was assigned to the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS Patroclus, which was torpedoed and sunk off Northern Ireland by Otto Kretschmer's U-99 on the night of 4 November 1940. He injured his back jumping from the deck into the water and had to be pulled aboard a carley float. Rescued by a British destroyer, he spent a couple of months in hospital in England, where he survived a near miss from a German bomb. Released from hospital in January 1941 he soon joined the crew of the battleship HMS King George V, and was aboard her during the action against Bismarck. In 1942 he was assigned to a minesweeper operating out of Gibraltar, and was involved in the support of Operation Torch. In early 1944 he received a medical discharge due to his back injury, which continued to bother him the rest of his life.

He didn't like to talk about the war, as you could imagine. As kids we'd pester him for war stories, but the only one he'd tell anyone was about a bar fight he and his crewmates had with a bunch of RAF airmen at a pub in Gibraltar. That is save for one occasion when I was a teenager, shortly before he died. He told me about his involvement in the war in as much detail as he thought I could bear. About the searing pain in his back and the icy cold of the water when Patroclus was sunk. About laying in that carley float, freezing cold, listening to the screams of friends he'd never see again. About a torpedo attack on King George V by a Heinkel He111 where the bomber got so close he could practically see the faces of the men in the cockpit before the AA batteries tore them to pieces. About the tooth-jarring recoil of the KGV's massive main battery guns, and how they fired so much the day they fought Bismarck his ears rang for days. About watching transfixed as Bismarck, just a few miles distant, burned from bow to stern, her hull glowing red in some places. About how he wondered what hellish conditions the men on that ship were facing.

By the time he was finished I finally understood why he didn't like to talk about the war.

So am I grinding my way up the RN BB tree to King George V? You'd better believe it. Many might think it's just a meaningless collection of electronic pixels, but to me that ship means everything.

• Cool 4

Sign in to follow this