Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wjp120

Is there a waterline indicator I'm missing for targeted ships behind islands?

32 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles

The vertical on-screen distance between the HUD indicators of a targeted ship and its waterline vary a lot based on distance, and possibly on other factors? I notice that some people are very good at hitting targeted ships indirectly, while I've been struggling to learn this skill over the past year.

The best I can do is use the tiny aim circle on the minimap, but that's unreliable at best. It's helped me improve, but still, not so great.

So, is there an indicator in the interface somewhere that shows where the centerline of the ship at the waterline is, below the lock-on target HUD elements? Because some people seem to be able to aim as if they had such an indicator on their screen.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,089 posts
17,166 battles

No but experience goes a long way. My guesses/estimates on these type of shots have gotten better and better over time.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,009 battles

No indicator, it's a "Practice makes Perfect" sort of a thing. Good Luck!

[FEM]
Members
2,073 posts
17,231 battles

It is ALLLLL in the experience and knowing the ship you're shooting, knowing the terrain, etc.

[RLGN]
Members
14,931 posts
26,442 battles

The biggest problem is your bloody guns suddenly have an elevation casuallty and drop off being elevated to hit the target after it passes behind an island.

Yes, you should take the unspotted dispersion penalty, but your guns suddenly shooting at the island, instead of over it, is a pile of you know what.

• Cool 1

Members
6,754 posts
21,151 battles

just make sure your target has a circle around it. This game has magic bullets. If your target doesn't have the circle you will hit the island, if it does you can hit the ship...… even if you never move your mouse or aim......magic bullets.

• Cool 1

[-PVE-]
Members
284 posts
13,594 battles
49 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

The vertical on-screen distance between the HUD indicators of a targeted ship and its waterline vary a lot based on distance, and possibly on other factors? I notice that some people are very good at hitting targeted ships indirectly, while I've been struggling to learn this skill over the past year.

The best I can do is use the tiny aim circle on the minimap, but that's unreliable at best. It's helped me improve, but still, not so great.

So, is there an indicator in the interface somewhere that shows where the centerline of the ship at the waterline is, below the lock-on target HUD elements? Because some people seem to be able to aim as if they had such an indicator on their screen.

Only Bots get this indicator, they never miss when your behind an island.

[1984]
Members
4,313 posts
21,154 battles
51 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

There is the angle to target mod in the modstation. This tells the truth whereas the janky rendition on screen shows a broadside ship, many times it is actually angled.

[YORHA]
Members
5,139 posts
10,312 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The biggest problem is your bloody guns suddenly have an elevation casuallty and drop off being elevated to hit the target after it passes behind an island.

Yes, you should take the unspotted dispersion penalty, but your guns suddenly shooting at the island, instead of over it, is a pile of you know what.

I have been personally assured by one of the Developers that this will be fixed shortly.

Of course, that was 2 years ago, but hey, what are you gonna do.

If you want to see a graphic demonstration of what is happening then next time you are targeting a ship behind an island watch the little circle they added to your aim point on the mini-map. As soon as the ship disappears it jumps to the island and stays there no matter what.

• Cool 1

Members
1,138 posts
7,192 battles

There is, it's called a paid hack.

You know, those people shooting behind mountains perfectly on first go? Yeah., those guys. Basically what used to be the aim assist mod that bots have.

Edited by reaper_swpz
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,731 posts
9,354 battles

Depending on where the ship is, looking up can reveal enough of the ship to judge, or if that doesn't work, after awhile, you get a feel for how far below the over-target marker the actual ship is.

[YORHA]
Members
5,139 posts
10,312 battles
24 minutes ago, reaper_swpz said:

You know, those people shooting behind mountains perfectly on first go? Yeah., those guys. Basically what used to be the aim assist mod that bots have.

LRWIfaH.gif

[RLGN]
Members
14,931 posts
26,442 battles
43 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

If you want to see a graphic demonstration of what is happening then next time you are targeting a ship behind an island watch the little circle they added to your aim point on the mini-map. As soon as the ship disappears it jumps to the island and stays there no matter what.

What irritates me most about that stupid little circle, is that it seems next to impossible to get it to settle on a desired point, even when there are no islands interfering by los with it being able to do so.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,731 posts
9,354 battles
50 minutes ago, reaper_swpz said:

And just like in Co-op, if you vary your movements and are far enough away, they miss.

I watched a lot of "ad" videos for aim assist. The one thing they all have in common is that the target is either less than 10km away, or a stationary/straight line target at range. (those are usually shown in a training room)

IOW, yup, there's some using it, and yup, they can hit behind the island, by aiming where the predictor tells them. If you're where the predictor says you're going to be 10+ seconds later, your cooperation is what seals the deal.

What I don't get is, if people believe this is actually an issue, why do they play? I realise that cheats exist, but if I thought they affected my games to any noticeable degree, I'd be gone.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,731 posts
9,354 battles
37 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

What irritates me most about that stupid little circle, is that it seems next to impossible to get it to settle on a desired point, even when there are no islands interfering by los with it being able to do so.

The bigger the minimap, the easier it is. I'm not too bad with it, just because I use a thumb trackball, which I find better for fast fine adjustments.

If it is an issue, try dialling down your mouse sensitivity, it will slow your looking around, but your guns are a lot slower anyway.

[RAGE]
Members
1,950 posts
8,224 battles

If you tap the M key quickly, it will give you a brief glimpse over the mountain obstructing your view. This sometimes is enough to acquire a good shot. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,931 posts
26,442 battles
31 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

The bigger the minimap, the easier it is. I'm not too bad with it, just because I use a thumb trackball, which I find better for fast fine adjustments.

If it is an issue, try dialling down your mouse sensitivity, it will slow your looking around, but your guns are a lot slower anyway.

Trackball mouse or laser?

Mine’s currently a wireless laser, and I think I’ve read it’s actually better to use a hardwired mouse?

[WOLFG]
Members
30,731 posts
9,354 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Trackball mouse or laser?

Mine’s currently a wireless laser, and I think I’ve read it’s actually better to use a hardwired mouse?

It's a Logitech 570 wireless, small thumb-operated trackball. (don't think anybody else makes them anymore)

I can't remember exactly when I switched from wired to wireless, but I was into WoT at the time, and noticed no difference, other than that if I didn't have a clear LOS from mouse to tower, it would occasionally become unresponsive.

Although, if I had a desktop setup, I'd probably use wired. I like the trackball because I can park it on the arm of my easy chair, and the wireless because I'm about 7' back from the tower, and I've ruined my share of USB extension cords and a couple ports from tripping on the way to/from the bathroom/fridge lol.

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,840 posts
4,733 battles
3 hours ago, wjp120 said:

Yeah, no.  It's so difficult to use I basically use it only to get my guns in the general area.

Use the main map ship icon as a point of reference.  It will give you the bearing, which is fairly easy to adjust for speed. 

Elevation you have to estimate (as you say) but that's just a matter of experience.  How far below the icon is the water line?  That will vary some by range.  Go into a Training Room and practice hitting a target using only of the distance below the icon. 

And you have the benefit of feedback.  No shell hits?  Adjust your aim.  Which way?  Experience will tell.

Good luck!

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,234 posts
24,629 battles

Some BB players will pop Spotting Aircraft to get a better overhead view.  Try it.  It's easier to pick out a point than the default, scope view.  I was never too fond of the view with the Spotting Aircraft up but I have nailed island / smoke campers that way a few times with my BBs.  Some guys are really good with it.  There's a frequent poster around here that had all kinds of little clips of him crucifying island / smoke campers with the Spotting Aircraft up for his Yamato.

I've run into such players numerous times in Randoms when I've played my RN CLs camping in smoke or USN Cruisers using islands.  You had best be careful, some of those BB drivers know what they're doing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Some BB players will pop Spotting Aircraft to get a better overhead view.  Try it.  It's easier to pick out a point than the default, scope view.  I was never too fond of the view with the Spotting Aircraft up but I have nailed island / smoke campers that way a few times with my BBs.  Some guys are really good with it.  There's a frequent poster around here that had all kinds of little clips of him crucifying island / smoke campers with the Spotting Aircraft up for his Yamato.

I've run into such players numerous times in Randoms when I've played my RN CLs camping in smoke or USN Cruisers using islands.  You had best be careful, some of those BB drivers know what they're doing.

Yes, this is true. I don't have the issue I started this thread over when I'm using a Lazo.

And fast-reloading ships like DDs, CLs, Salem aren't so punishing, since I can correct my aim quickly.

But with BBs, super cruisers, or slow reloading CAs that have no option for a spotter or give up too much to slot a spotter...

I think just a tiny horizontal white hash mark at the waterline of a targeted ship that only appears when locked on to a ship to which direct line-of-sight is blocked would be great. I think that would be a useful skill equalizer.

Especially since this is information the gunners should have, anyway. Since sea-level is, after all, sea level. It's an accurately known quantity to anyone with well calibrated and properly measured and mounted marine rangefinders. If the distance to a target is known, the vertical angle to a sea-level point at that distance is easy for a mid 20th century or later targeting computer to calculate. 

[CNO]
Members
6,078 posts
18,552 battles

If you have an auto-lock on a ship behind terrain (which only occurs if spotted by someone else or hydro/radar), your guns will autorange to the target even if your reticle is positioned on the land mass.  This autorange will adjust somewhat as you move the reticle up or down on the land mass.  Adjusting the aim point in this fashion requires you to look at the minimap to see the impact point.  Static targets are easiest as you just make sure the white minimap circle is on the target.  If the target is moving then you can adjust appropriately. 

Auto range only occurs if the target is locked.  If lock is lost then shells will hit the land mass at the reticle position. Also, if your shells don't have the trajectory to clear the land mass, then autorange won't provide a solution that the dynamics of your weapons can't provide.

The best way to learn this technique is to just try it.  Over time, you get better.

Here's an example.  Pic and Video.  Pic first:

Note the reticle is on the mountain.  However, because the target is spotted and I have autolock, my guns are autoranged to the targeted ship.  You can tell this by looking at the small white aiming circle on the minimap, which tells where my shells will land as the target is headed cross track and away.  I'm able to adjust slightly to get the lead I want based on where the little white circle moves.

2098046784_overmountain.thumb.jpg.875f502c6c2972717dfb8b771b1758d7.jpg

Here's the real time.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,234 posts
24,629 battles
4 hours ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

That is bb intuition. I have a thread about this somewhere. 

Some guys do it real well because they've adapted to threats they've seen enough.

RN CLs or DDs spamming from smoke.

Camping USN Cruisers near islands.

There is also the issue that fast firing, spammy ships in smoke basically tell where they're at.  Tracers work both ways :Smile_trollface:  Even with a bit of movement in the smoke, it's still easy to tell where the target is just by  the constant stream of shells pointing where it's at.  Some dudes got real good at nailing people in that.  I'd be in a Fiji, Belfast, and there are those BB players that get way too close for comfort even with me creeping a bit of movement within my smoke, concerned enough that if I fire another salvo, it'll just tell him where I'm at.

The big alarm for me is when I'm engaging some BB with my smoke camping ship, the BB is looking at my direction still, and I see him pop up his Spotting Aircraft :Smile_hiding:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this