You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dogget

Yamato or Montana?

7 comments in this topic

[HO-FL]
[HO-FL]
Members
102 posts
6,534 battles

What's the straight skinny?  About to crawl up one tree or the other.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

Yamato can hit harder, great torpedo belt protection. Armor is good, but you have to watch out for not getting caught full broadside to enemy BBs and Heavy Cruisers or else you can receive citadel hits. Hence the reason you need some skill in BBs before getting Yamato, since if used correctly it’s really strong, but make some bad mistakes and you will pay for them.

Montana gets more guns, more difficult to hit citadel on it, and better AA.

What is often said is the Yamato is the better ship if your a good battleship player, but the Montana is said to be the more reliable choice. Having the harder to hit citadel, 12 main guns to fire at enemy ships, and excellent AA make Montana a forgiving ship to use at tier X.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,618 posts
10,469 battles

Monty is the all rounded do anything BB.  It isn't top, but can compete anywhere.

Yamato has the hardest punch and best accuracy in the game, but isn't good for close combat due to its poor maneuverability and slow turrets.  

Either one is good but which one is best for you depends on your preferred play style.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,467 battles
37 minutes ago, Cpt_RickSchwifty said:

Yammy if you want to do any kind of competitive, Monty if you play a lot of random battles.

Not nessicarily true on either side if that. Clubbing bow on cruisers in randoms is fun with Yamato, and Montana is a great pick for CBs and competetive (especially pre-Kremlin)

Overall I do love my Yamato, but I also adore Monty. They were the 2 original BBs in the game, set they are good teachers and not crazy over-gimmicked. A large part of it is quality over quantity of shells. Japan reaches further and typically hits harder than the US, but the US has a heavier broadside and a little bit more tanking ability. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,847 posts
26,354 battles
29 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Japan reaches further and typically hits harder than the US,

I would believe this, if not for all the 'ovenmatch my exaust valve!' ricocette or overpen hits I've seen against such targets.

To me, overmatch is a bald faced lie.