Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Thunder_Feet

Insult to injury

12 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,709 battles

With a discussion up in here recently on having a good karma score, I can't resist posting this little anecdote - I've stepped away from the game for a few minutes until I get my big-boy pants back on.

I was a while ago playing Georgia, and in a duel where I had whittled an Izumo down to the final salvo or two, staying angled and still in very good health.  Couldn't shoot when reload came because this ChungKing or whatever it is called comes speedballing in between us, blocking my shot, puts torps into the Izumo and steals my kill, and then collides with me, causing enough ship turn that I had to miss my planned quick-pivot around the island to blap the next ship.  Game ends, and sure enough, to add insult to injury, I'm 2nd best on the team, after the guy in the ChowMein.

Said nothing in chat, bit my tongue and stepped away from the Battle button for a bit and headed for the morning shower.  It's only a game, it's only a game, it's only...….

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,027 battles

Couldn't he see your name emblazoned on that Izumo?

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
4,681 posts
20,648 battles

A common occurrence.   What really frost's me are the times where bot ship seem to forget you even exist and torp you from behind;.........the exact half-second before you pull the trigger on an almost dead ship....  All of the time....

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,709 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

Couldn't he see your name emblazoned on that Izumo?

Funny!  But it's not the kill steal that got me, that happens every game.  It's the beyond-any-shadow-of-doubt-intentionally-rude method of executing the kill steal.  That kind of thing is, thankfully, rare in the PVE environment, at least experientially.

1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

A common occurrence.   What really frost's me are the times where bot ship seem to forget you even exist and torp you from behind;.........the exact half-second before you pull the trigger on an almost dead ship....  All of the time....

Yeah, bots can be oblivious, but this was a human with faulty NON-Artificial Intelligence.

[SALVO]
Members
25,520 posts
27,523 battles
16 minutes ago, Episcopo said:

Funny!  But it's not the kill steal that got me, that happens every game.  It's the beyond-any-shadow-of-doubt-intentionally-rude method of executing the kill steal.  That kind of thing is, thankfully, rare in the PVE environment, at least experientially.

The problem is that there's no such thing as a stealing kills, for the most part.  You have no right to any kill.  Period.  The closest one can come to having kill steals is during events where there are kill based missions or perhaps during "sheriff" missions (whether they're pumpkin ships, or corgi ships, or whatever they're called for the specific events; in WG parlance people call them "sheriff" events), you may see some players who will intentionally hold their fire, waiting for an enemy ship (or tank in WoT) to get to really low health before trying to make the kill shot.  But even then, there are no  guarantees of success, since often a number of ships may have shells in the air, and there's no guarantee that *your* shells will be the ones to arrive first and take the kill.

The best thing to do is stop worrying about who gets the kill.  Stop thinking that it's yours.  Just do your best to get the enemy dead ASAP whether it's you or a team mate that gets credit for the kill.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,027 battles
20 minutes ago, Episcopo said:

That's the same reason I find it so funny, because in randoms that's a daily occurrence.

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,709 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

That's the same reason I find it so funny, because in randoms that's a daily occurrence.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but somewhere in the forum about 2 days back is a thread on good karma, which is background/context for why this bugged me and why I said taking a few minutes to get my big-boy britches to cover my fantail.  I'm not offended by being laughed at here, I'm partially laughing at myself.

And... what you said about randoms - THAT is a primary reason why there are people who mostly play PVE - the rudeness factor is much lower on this side.  I face enough rudeness in RL, don't need it in my recreation, thankyouverymuch.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,027 battles
1 hour ago, Episcopo said:

And... what you said about randoms - THAT is a primary reason why there are people who mostly play PVE - the rudeness factor is much lower on this side.  I face enough rudeness in RL, don't need it in my recreation, thankyouverymuch.

Unfortunately, what you've said is very true, and this game is actually very good when compared to WoT and other games.

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,709 battles

And said as much... and laughed at myself for it.  Hope you have some great battles wearing yours.

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,709 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

The problem is that there's no such thing as a stealing kills, for the most part.  You have no right to any kill.  Period.  The closest one can come to having kill steals is during events where there are kill based missions or perhaps during "sheriff" missions (whether they're pumpkin ships, or corgi ships, or whatever they're called for the specific events; in WG parlance people call them "sheriff" events), you may see some players who will intentionally hold their fire, waiting for an enemy ship (or tank in WoT) to get to really low health before trying to make the kill shot.  But even then, there are no  guarantees of success, since often a number of ships may have shells in the air, and there's no guarantee that *your* shells will be the ones to arrive first and take the kill.

The best thing to do is stop worrying about who gets the kill.  Stop thinking that it's yours.  Just do your best to get the enemy dead ASAP whether it's you or a team mate that gets credit for the kill.

You're right, but it's difficult to do what you describe when you encounter "kill stat" shamers.  I don't play to get kills, I play to get XP and credits and therefore moar stuff, and you get that when the team wins in ANY kind of battle - but still, when one actually uses one's ship to block an ally from getting a kill, it struck me as a bit over the top and went from contributing to victory to, well, piracy.  Hey, I'm over it and that replay is long gone from the file.  And I've learned a bit more about human nature, which isn't at its best online, n'est pas?

[WOLF9]
Members
4,651 posts
26 minutes ago, Episcopo said:

You're right, but it's difficult to do what you describe when you encounter "kill stat" shamers.  I don't play to get kills, I play to get XP and credits and therefore moar stuff, and you get that when the team wins in ANY kind of battle - but still, when one actually uses one's ship to block an ally from getting a kill, it struck me as a bit over the top and went from contributing to victory to, well, piracy.  Hey, I'm over it and that replay is long gone from the file.  And I've learned a bit more about human nature, which isn't at its best online, n'est pas?

What you experienced is rather common in Co-op whenever there is a mission requiring kills.  This includes the wall of fame (or whatever they call it) after you finish a directive.

It's mostly players in DD's that do this, because they're the best equipped to accumulate lots of kills quickly.   Cruisers, which are next best are also clumsier, slower, and prone to blowing up, if you time your attempt wrong and eat a face full of friendly - or enemy -AP shells.

Some players are so desperate for kills, they'll do just about anything to get them.  Others just get their jollies griefing other players.   Your guy sounds like the latter -or both.   Ramming after pulling that stunt is what really puts it over the edge into the second category.   I just report those types for unsporting conduct

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,709 battles
2 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

What you experienced is rather common in Co-op whenever there is a mission requiring kills.  This includes the wall of fame (or whatever they call it) after you finish a directive.

It's mostly players in DD's that do this, because they're the best equipped to accumulate lots of kills quickly.   Cruisers, which are next best are also clumsier, slower, and prone to blowing up, if you time your attempt wrong and eat a face full of friendly - or enemy -AP shells.

Some players are so desperate for kills, they'll do just about anything to get them.  Others just get their jollies griefing other players.   Your guy sounds like the latter -or both.   Ramming after pulling that stunt is what really puts it over the edge into the second category.   I just report those types for unsporting conduct

Yeah, and now that, as my friend observed, I've wedged myself back into my designer big boy pants, the ram MAY have been just trying to avoid something, if I want to go out of my way to be charitable about it.  Something about running in and blocking the shot is what really got my teeth on edge for an hour or so.  The ram was just salt in the wound, and salt only hurts for a little while.

If I was HMFIC of WG, I'd remove the kill ratio stat from everything and also make the game (or the co-op mode, at least) more about team wins, and slant things so working together is required for best rewards more than 'tis... just spitballin' here, of course.  But part of this whole topic is that the "co-op mains" are generally courteous and supportive folk.  And as you see even in these forums, some equate being rude with being tough, when the real tough people are usually the most polite and supportive of others - as I've learned in my rather large number of years.  I'll have the honor and privilege of clinking glasses with a few genuine warriors this weekend, it being the primary holiday for such gatherings.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this