You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Yavuz

Midway What-If: Wasp and Ranger instead of two other Yorktowns

6 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,017 posts
4,823 battles

DISCLAIMER: I am aware that this idea doesn't work really in the context of the historical timeline.  However, this is more of a what-if...if everything fell in the way of this hypothetical scenario.

To commemorate the arrival of the film Midway this coming weekend, I thought this would be an interesting theory to pose to the community here, mainly because I haven't seen this scenario asked on various forums.  What if the USS Wasp and the USS Ranger replaced two of the Yorktowns that were at the Battle of Midway?  Since they were considered technologically inferior to the Yorktowns, which is why they mainly operated in the Atlantic where the Germans were considered not as big of a threat in regards to naval strength, I kind of wonder whether they would've affected the results of Midway if they took the place of two Yorktown carriers.

XX

So what do you guys think?  Here are some example questions to help with answers:

-Would the battle still progress as planned with the Wasp and Ranger?

-Would Japanese strategy have changed if these two carriers participated in the battle?

-Could the Wasp and / or Ranger have survived the onslaught of Midway?

-Would Wasp and Ranger be up to operating like a Yorktown-class carrier during the fight?

Thanks!

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,950 posts
5,775 battles

Hmm...

Well the main things to look at would be air wing composition and which ships they were replacing. With all three Yorktowns at Midway (probably the only time all three sisters fought side-by-side) the question of damage control and how things would have been handled differently would be influenced greatly by whether Enterprise, Hornet, or Yorktown is the one remaining. Interesting question though, I'll have to look into that.

• Cool 1

Members
722 posts

One of the most critical things is that Lieutenant Commander Thach was stationed on the USS Yorktown.  He made the first use of the famous "Thach Weave" that confounded the Japanese Zeros at the critical moment that VB-3 and VB/VS-6 made their critical hits and 3 of the 4 IJN CVs.  It is perhaps because the Zeroes were dealing with the "Thach Weave" that the Japanese CAP fighter had briefly left their Carriers unguarded as they attacked VT-3 which gave VB-3 and VB/VS-6 the perfect opening.

Without USS Yorktown and LCDR Thach, the "Iron Fist" against the CV may have gone a completely different way, or not at all.  The problem with predicting an alternate Battle of Midway is that the CVs are just so sensitive to any kind of damage that it becomes hard to predict the outcome since nearly all attacks on the Kido Butai are an all-or-nothing affair.

Edited by Royeaux
Typo
  • Cool 3

Members
722 posts
2 hours ago, Royeaux said:

One of the most critical things is that Lieutenant Commander Thach was stationed on the USS Yorktown.  He made the first use of the famous "Thach Weave" that confounded the Japanese Zeros at the critical moment that VB-3 and VB/VS-6 made their critical hits and 3 of the 4 IJN CVs.  It is perhaps because the Zeroes were dealing with the "Thach Weave" that the Japanese CAP fighter had briefly left their Carriers unguarded as they attacked VT-3 which gave VB-3 and VB/VS-6 the perfect opening.

Without USS Yorktown and LCDR Thach, the "Iron Fist" against the CV may have gone a completely different way, or not at all.  The problem with predicting an alternate Battle of Midway is that the CVs are just so sensitive to any kind of damage that it becomes hard to predict the outcome since nearly all attacks on the Kido Butai are an all-or-nothing affair.

I created this quick gif of Montemayor's Midway video to better visualize what I'm talking about:

SrjR1Y5.gif

• Cool 1

6,017 posts
4,823 battles
29 minutes ago, Royeaux said:

I created this quick gif of Montemayor's Midway video to better visualize what I'm talking about:

SrjR1Y5.gif

I find it interesting that these individual pilots could be the the small reasons why Midway was an American victory.

One pilot was good enough at flying to allow planes to decimate a carrier strike force.

6,017 posts
4,823 battles
8 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Hmm...

Well the main things to look at would be air wing composition and which ships they were replacing. With all three Yorktowns at Midway (probably the only time all three sisters fought side-by-side) the question of damage control and how things would have been handled differently would be influenced greatly by whether Enterprise, Hornet, or Yorktown is the one remaining. Interesting question though, I'll have to look into that.

For the question, you can choose which Yorktown carrier remains, replacing the other two with the Ranger and Wasp.  That includes specific crew members and squadrons connected with those carriers as well.