You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

IFHE Hindy viable?

10 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
[DRNX]
Members
462 posts
11,845 battles
Is it worth using 4 points on IFHE and keeping CE but losing SI and a 1 pt capt skill? Would really like to know what people's thoughts on this are since this allows you to pen high tier RU and IJN bb's. TIA

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

I wouldn't. Hindenburg's HE is good for fire-starting, but like all German HE shells their damage isn't really worth it. It's basically there to get you DOT while waiting for your opponent to be in a better position for you to use her EXCELLENT AP rounds. Meanwhile SI means that you get an extra heal and charge of that best-in-game hydro that German cruisers mount.

My advice for handling heavily armored battleships is to either knife-fight them to make your citadel less vulnerable and get into torpedo range, or kite and snipe from a distance to get that sweet, sweet plunging fire that Hindenburg's excellent range allows. Anywhere in between your best option is try and disengage while giving as little to shoot at as possible, unless of course they're broadside.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,119 posts
14,728 battles

I wouldn't, there are better things to spend those points on. guns larger than 6" do not generally reap the benefits of IFHE.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,690 posts
19,844 battles

Hindenburg's HE already has improved pen.

[PVE]
Members
6,916 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:
Is it worth using 4 points on IFHE and keeping CE but losing SI and a 1 pt capt skill? Would really like to know what people's thoughts on this are since this allows you to pen high tier RU and IJN bb's. TIA

Germans already get a 1/4 instead of 1/6 pen value on the HE so little is gained for the -3 fire chance...burn everything that doesn't show broadside (except non Khaba/Haragumo DDs of course) & enjoy the extra consumables & T1 skill.

I don't have a lot of games in mine but that has always been the general forum concensus.

[POP]
Members
4,651 posts
12,351 battles

The only guns larger than 6” that will normally want IFHE are Henri’s 240s since IFHE lets you pen 50mm, and Hindy’s HE already pens that while really needing as much fire chance as it can get.

IFHE Hindy (and large cruisers) lets you HE pen a bunch of other stuff (including Yamato main deck, but not Kremlin, and turret sides/fronts/etc of a few ships, but the only 203+ ships besides Henri that could really justify taking IFHE as it currently works are the upcoming RN CAs (since it will give them 50mm) and potentially Azuma/Yoshino since that will let you HE pen Kremlin’s deck (not that I’d personally recommend that, but there is an IFHE build for them specifically because of everything with the 67mm armor threshold between Yamato/Kremlin decks and a bunch of cruiser turrets). The other large cruisers (or really anything that can pen 50mm, so now only the German 203s and large cruisers) will be able to pen Yamato’s deck with IFHE but you need 310mm IFHE to pen Kremlin’s.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,533 posts
10,092 battles

If I had to guess, OP's question stems from it being able to threaten Kremlin deck.  Other than that, I don't see a use case.  Perhaps for ranked play where Kremlins will be prevalent but I don't see any other time you'd want to do this as you'll suffer for it in all other situations.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,185 posts
24,550 battles

Here's a 19pt Hindenburg Build incorporating CE + IFHE + SI + DE, which costs 17pts, EM would take her to 19pts.  Basically almost like a high end CL build.

Please keep in mind I haven't played with that Build, not even for PVE.  My Hindenburg captain still has the old Pre-CV Rebork AA Build on him and I never changed it out :Smile_amazed:  I'd like to try it, but not willing to drop the Doubloons to do it.  So please understand, I haven't played Randoms with an IFHE Hindenburg.

Typically, Hindenburg users will try to burn stuff that they can't HE Pen like Yamato's thick deck armor.  I do understand the OP's concern.  BBs with very thick deck armor these days:  Izumo, Yamato, Musashi, Sovetsky Soyuz, Kremlin.

Setting fires is great, but it's still RNG and Fire damage can be healed back.  But getting actual HE Pens to get more damage to actually stick has merit.  So stuff like Kremlin just can't laugh at your HE shells and heal back all your Fire damage.

Typically, Repair Party can heal back 100% fire damage, but only 50% of penetration damage.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BOTO]
Members
1,357 posts
16,544 battles

I use IFHE on my Hindenburg.  Why?  I got tired of all the Kremlins and Soyuzs I was seeing, not to mention Yamato and FDG, and having to rely too much on fire damage.  Hindenburg HE penetrates 66mm of armor with IFHE which means her HE will penetrate the deck of any BB she runs into.  I feel like it's worth using.  The only thing I miss with my build is EM, but it's not that big of a detriment not having it. Since I'm using the legendary module and my concealment sucks anyway I've considered giving up CE and PM so I can use EM and SI. Here's my build:

hindyspec.JPG