You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
blimp66

Twilight Battle went downhill...

13 comments in this topic

Members
54 posts
19,028 battles

List this under when "bad people ruin good things".

The Twilight Battle mode started out as tremendous fun and it's all I've played since it started, mostly with the Mutantovsk and the Fossil.  I got all the T8 and T9 containers, and am almost done getting all of the T10s. Two comments I'd like to make:

1.  I can deal with people who offer "truces" and then sit by the portal and nuke you as you come in, or ask for help in nuking Rasp then turn on you as soon as you show up.  You know the usual callout..."truce, clockwise"...followed by half a dozen people who swear to it.  I wasn't born yesterday, I know people lie.  It's not "illegal" and it's part of this mode, apparently.  What I didn't know is just how large a percentage of the players here fall into the liar category.

2.  I can't deal with players who abandon their teams at the very start.  The battle starts out with 4 enemies popping up; a DD, then a CA, then a CA and BB simultaneously.  I can deal with the DD and the first CA with my Mutantovsk well enough, even solo; but it's just about futile when the second CA and the BB show up, and one of your team goes off somewhere else, just to rack up an easy 200 points.  They've effectively taken themselves out of the battle, while the 2 ships left behind usually get hammered. This has been happening since this past weekend and is getting worse by the day.  I kept a count today...on average,  it happened in 50% (FIFTY PERCENT) of the battles.   I just finished a Twilight battle about 20 minutes ago, and it happened AGAIN, someone took off to do their own thing.  Out of frustration, and even though 3/5 of my cargo hold was full, I announced to the other teams why I was quitting and intentionally ran counterclockwise into another team and let them nuke me without me firing a shot. I think this is going to be my "solution" to this problem from now on.  I hope this battle mode comes back next year, but with a difference: NO TEAMS; let it be a free-for-all, everyone-for-themself, much like it's devolving into now. At least I'll know where I stand. :(

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

In well over a hundred games, because the usual haul is less than 1000 Filth and it's going to take me well over 200 games to finish the event, I've only seen total cooperation in a truce three times. 

I'm not sure who started the truce thing to begin with. I've played enough other games to know that "gentlemen's agreements" to things that are not hard-coded into the game rarely work out.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,748 posts
14,457 battles

People like to see the world burn, and how weegee put together the event, everyone is a potential enemy, truce or no truce, now I understand it most likely works best for all if no one shoots players and you all get your filth, but that is not how weegee set it up, otherwise you would all be green.

Members
54 posts
19,028 battles

It's not the truce-breaking that aggravates me; sure, it's easy when everyone plays "nice" together, but it gets very exciting very quickly when everyone screams for all-out war and that's what keeps each battle interesting.

It's the lack of team support that is frustrating, when one person decides to just screw the team over and do his own thing.  There's only 3 ships as it is per team; each one is vital. I know there's  no solution to this...maybe I'm just trying to figure out why I don't understand the mindset behind it, or is there a good reason tactically to do it, that I haven't realized yet.  In randoms, for instance, you can do your own thing there and usually no one really cares too much as long as things are going good for the team.  Twilight seems like it should be closer in practice to a Ranked battle, where each ship counts and you get bawled out for goofing off.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,470 posts
17,825 battles

So, I've gotten the T8, 9, and 10 camo and am still playing the event because it's a challenge. Yes, people break truces but at the same time, most of the games people have also stuck with them. I've had several games where players on my team ambushed an enemy team after agreeing to the truce. This has generally backfired as the other team sees what's happening and opens up on them. I generally hold my fire if my team instigates the truce breaking nonsense and the majority of the time the other teams don't shoot at me. I assume that's because everyone has had the same issue with their teams and is sort of fed up. If another team shoots first however ....

Image result for it's on like donkey kong meme"

Personally, I'm really enjoying the event so well done WG!

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

If you bring a full div of Crocosaurs, you'll find a lot less people willing to break truces with you. :Smile-_tongue:

Also, my last match in the mode, no one even called truce, but my team and another team just gave each other the carebear stare as we peacefully took our loads to the portal and left without incident, after encountering each other near the Rasputin wreck.

[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
2,502 posts
24,880 battles

I'm that guy

I go and steal the other 200 if I can because 4 low tier bots shouldnt be able to kick your butt. Its especially true with the consumables they give you in this mode. 

I have no faith in strangers to get the most out of this mode. Even truces dont guarante a big haul.

Members
54 posts
19,028 battles

I found a solution to the lying trucers!  I threaten everyone at the beginning by saying, "if anyone shoots me, i will sail into a corner and sit there til the clock runs out, and no one gets to reuse their boat for the full 20 minutes".  It works!!!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
890 posts
2,056 battles

I looked into about 3 or 4 games and had some mindless fun. But after seeing the amount of Filth I'd have to collect to get anything worthwhile, I just abandoned the mode.

The Dog-Eat-Dog of it wasn't so bad, hell I dished out as much as I was taking it. But listening to the whining got cumbersome. If I wanted to listen to people whine about unwritten rules being broken, I'd go back to Dead By Daylight.

[EQRN]
Members
2,132 posts
18,672 battles

Friday morning was the best morning I had - a ton of cooperation and lots of filth for everyone; more Rasputin kills that morning than the entire event so far. Then as the hours progressed, the “play with class” attitude melted into backstabbery. I’m inclined to think average age (whether physical or mental) played a part.  I have to admit, one of the funnest moments was catching a truce breaker cruiser with a full broadside unaware of me - enjoy your 20% haul, you truce breaking mother-fooking wanker.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,653 posts
11,708 battles
On 11/7/2019 at 10:07 PM, grumpymunky said:

If you bring a full div of Crocosaurs, you'll find a lot less people willing to break truces with you. :Smile-_tongue:

And if you see a full div of Crocs, fully expect they won't be honoring any truce.

They may... but don't expect it.

That said, I saw a div of three Crocs.   Didn't see them or hear the lamented screams of "broken truce" the whole match.

We sank Ras and his minions.   My two cruisers then exploded.     A long way from the portal, and the match looked like this:

Star-Trek-The-Enterprise-Incident.thumb.jpg.7d5ba29435ef25806e8d0af5266bbecc.jpg

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

Honestly, as long as you offer a truce, abide by that truce, and play the mode how it's supposed to be played, everything almost always goes smoothly. This includes collecting filth in a clockwise manner, and obviously, keeping any truce unless fired upon non-accidentally. This mode is easily some of the most fun I've had in this game, and I hope it sticks around for a long time.

[SYDNA]
Members
5 posts
7,840 battles

To be fair I make sure to point out that a truce with me ends the moment the portal opens.  Other than that I honor my truces or those given by other players