You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Deputy276

For the Co-Op CV players that are having problems with torps

17 comments in this topic

Members
2,300 posts
5,512 battles

I know you are out there:Smile_smile:. I was one until today. Also, I think I have a first for CV scoring in PvE. I will post the screenshot after my little hint. Fact is, there is very little info for dropping torps with this new "upgrade/update/whatever-you-want-to-call-it" we have for CV play. I looked on YouTube and the one video that was posted was what i had been using and doing really crappy with my torp planes. The video suggested you start your drops between 5-8 klicks from the target. Bad advice. Bots can easily evade torps from that distance. So today i was in a battle and a player by the name of "Greaser" was making drops from 2-4 clicks from the target. And he was consistently hitting with TWO torps from a Ranger torp plane. This guy single-handedly saved our butts from a loss to the bots. The only other player still alive was a QE that was AFK. I asked Greaser after the game if he always dropped torps from that distance and he said "mainly when I am low on planes". He also agreed that since the "upgrade", CV game play has sucked major balls. 

Anyway, I took out the Langley after this battle and was actually hitting with TWO torps! I couldn't f-ing believe it. So you guys with torp problems might want to try a closer launch than you have been using. It may just improve your CV play dramatically. Here's a pic of the scores I took of the results of the battle. This was the FIRST time I have seen anyone score at the top of the list in a CV. Freaking amazing, but it CAN be done.

shot-19.11.07_16.51.35-0189.jpg

Edited by Deputy276
  • Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,596 battles

I'm pretty noob to CV play, about a month - not that I've got years in other types, but I'm beginning to catch on.  Gonna put up some screenshots and the replay file from a battle a few minutes ago, a real cliff-hanger and my best effort so far in a CV (Hosho, I haven't even got enough XP to get the Tier VI yet - but I did win an Ark Royal (actually, all 3 Unsinkable Sams, the big package) in a drawing watching a WoWS streaming vid.  I am not very good with Ark Royal yet, the AA fire is an entirely different animal in Tier VI and up.

Thanks for the tip, anything to get gud!

• Cool 1

[DBRIS]
Members
681 posts
11,850 battles

Hosho can be pretty mean at T4, Even after the nerf. I'm pretty much a noob at cv's compared to most everyone else, but I always go in point blank, I'm not giving anyone a chance to dodge or miss. I have Enterprise (Crate drop at Xmas), AA IS rough at that level. You have to be a lot more selective in targets. 

Members
6,167 posts
7,852 battles

Starting an attack run closer is always a better idea, so long as it isn't too close. As long as your target doesn't violently maneuver and so long as you've got your squadron lined up correctly, you can do this fairly easily as you don't have to adjust the flight path much or at all.

The main reason I can think of for people suggesting to start a torpedo attack run from 5-7km out is because USN TBs need a lot of time to stabilize and are extremely sensitive to any adjustments. Basically, you want them flying straight and true so your spread when you release the torps isn't a giant V shape. By starting farther out, you have more time to make adjustments without screwing up the drop's spread.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,245 posts
21,670 battles
1 hour ago, Deputy276 said:

I know you are out there:Smile_smile:. I was one until today. Also, I think I have a first for CV scoring in PvE. I will post the screenshot after my little hint. Fact is, there is very little info for dropping torps with this new "upgrade/update/whatever-you-want-to-call-it" we have for CV play. I looked on YouTube and the one video that was posted was what i had been using and doing really crappy with my torp planes. The video suggested you start your drops between 5-8 klicks from the target. Bad advice. Bots can easily evade torps from that distance. So today i was in a battle and a player by the name of "Greaser" was making drops from 2-4 clicks from the target. And he was consistently hitting with TWO torps from a Ranger torp plane. This guy single-handedly saved our butts from a loss to the bots. The only other player still alive was a QE that was AFK. I asked Greaser after the game if he always dropped torps from that distance and he said "mainly when I am low on planes". He also agreed that since the "upgrade", CV game play has sucked major balls. 

Anyway, I took out the Langley after this battle and was actually hitting with TWO torps! I couldn't f-ing believe it. So you guys with torp problems might want to try a closer launch than you have been using. It may just improve your CV play dramatically. Here's a pic of the scores I took of the results of the battle. This was the FIRST time I have seen anyone score at the top of the list in a CV. Freaking amazing, but it CAN be done.

WOWS official YouTube channel how to play list

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,636 battles
3 hours ago, Deputy276 said:

The video suggested you start your drops between 5-8 klicks from the target.

This is pretty much 100% true... depending on the CV, though possibly also a little dated, as plane speeds and torps/torp aiming have seen plenty of changes. What I feel is the case is you may have misunderstood what they meant by this. You start the attack run 5-8km out (though I'd say more like 4-6km on most CVs) depending on the CV. Then you drop your ordinance far, far closer than that. Basically as close as you can without the torps not having enough time to arm.

If you are playing Midway, it takes a long time to aim those torps, for example. Those are in the 6km area.

Likewise, pre-nerf Hakuryu could stack torps if you drop far out enough and torp from stealth.

Of course, there is also one exception I can think of. Ark Royal has planes so slow she can start runs 2km out easily, so long as she brakes hard!

However, every other CV is more in the 4km area of starting a run, so long as you use your brakes when necessary.

Bots in co-op only tend to react once you actually drop the torps, I've noticed, and then turn away once you do. You can abuse this for extra hits.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,636 battles
2 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Starting an attack run closer is always a better idea, so long as it isn't too close. As long as your target doesn't violently maneuver and so long as you've got your squadron lined up correctly, you can do this fairly easily as you don't have to adjust the flight path much or at all.

The main reason I can think of for people suggesting to start a torpedo attack run from 5-7km out is because USN TBs need a lot of time to stabilize and are extremely sensitive to any adjustments. Basically, you want them flying straight and true so your spread when you release the torps isn't a giant V shape. By starting farther out, you have more time to make adjustments without screwing up the drop's spread.

This is only really true on Midway (And maybe Saipan. Dunno on that one, as I sold her when I had the chance, so I last used her at the start of the rework) as her torps take way too long to tighten up. So long as you don't wiggle much, even Lexington's and Enterprise's torps stabilize pretty fast. And, if you start your run close enough, flak won't spawn from that ship, meaning that you don't really need to turn that much, either.

Members
2,300 posts
5,512 battles

Hope I was able to help, or at least stimulate some thought about torp attacks:Smile_Default:. Quite honestly, EVERY time I see a CV being played in Co-Op, it ends up in last place at the end of the battle. Usually with NO ships sunk and very little XP earned.  So I know dam well a LOT of people are having problems in CVs in PvE. I haven't played much at tier 8 because the AA is so nuts. Seems like the bots NEVER miss, and every squadron launched is lost. I don't see that as "fun". i sure miss the "good ol' days" of CV play using "simple mode" and not having to fart around with piloting aircraft. One of WG's biggest mistakes was turning CVs from strategic to tactical weapons. No idea where they got the goofy idea that players wanted to actually pilot the aircraft. Certainly nothing like that was ever posted or encouraged on this forum. Maybe Russian players? Or maybe a Russian developer from World of Warplanes was looking at the unemployment lines and they sent him to WoWs rather than canning him. Whatever the reason, it certainly castrated CVs to the point that bot CVs are a joke, and human CV players feel mainly frustration after a battle. I guess this doesn't apply in PvP, but WG really doesn't give two squirts about making PvE people happy. Oh well...have fun as much as you can. And tell them how you feel by abstaining from using the Premium shop. :Smile_Default:        

[COOP2]
Members
319 posts
8,775 battles
16 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

Quite honestly, EVERY time I see a CV being played in Co-Op, it ends up in last place at the end of the battle.

might have been me a couple of times, i stink with CVs

well, at first I did terribly with them after the rework (I was just using Hosho), but after quite a while i ended up doing rather well with Hosho and could finish in say 3rd or 4th a good number of times as long as the friendly DDs didn't torp everything to the bottom of the ocean in only 4 minutes. I specifically got much better with the torpedo bombers. For Hosho I use them almost exclusively, with the rockets used once in a while. I think maybe one in 20 times I use the dive bombers.

Getting those torpedo bombers down is the key.

Now with Ryujo, I am doing only so-so with her, planes get chewed up much easier and the aiming is harder, it was noticeably easier with hosho (probably on purpose being tier 4) as the aiming didn't get messed much when you are adjusting with Hosho. You can't just spam torpedo planes as easily with Ryujo if you are losing them so sometimes you have the pull out the (mostly) useless bombers. My aim with those bombers is terrible, and when they (infrequently) hit ugh for me waste of time watching very low damage overpens (I know I'm dropping too low). I got two citadels in one game last night and I was tempted to open a beer in celebration just for that.   

overall, i still kind of stink with CVs

• Cool 1

Members
2,300 posts
5,512 battles
3 hours ago, Ironshroud said:

might have been me a couple of times, i stink with CVs

well, at first I did terribly with them after the rework (I was just using Hosho), but after quite a while i ended up doing rather well with Hosho and could finish in say 3rd or 4th a good number of times as long as the friendly DDs didn't torp everything to the bottom of the ocean in only 4 minutes. I specifically got much better with the torpedo bombers. For Hosho I use them almost exclusively, with the rockets used once in a while. I think maybe one in 20 times I use the dive bombers.

Getting those torpedo bombers down is the key.

Now with Ryujo, I am doing only so-so with her, planes get chewed up much easier and the aiming is harder, it was noticeably easier with hosho (probably on purpose being tier 4) as the aiming didn't get messed much when you are adjusting with Hosho. You can't just spam torpedo planes as easily with Ryujo if you are losing them so sometimes you have the pull out the (mostly) useless bombers. My aim with those bombers is terrible, and when they (infrequently) hit ugh for me waste of time watching very low damage overpens (I know I'm dropping too low). I got two citadels in one game last night and I was tempted to open a beer in celebration just for that.   

overall, i still kind of stink with CVs

Took the words right out of my mouth, bro. Just had a game in the Furious where I was getting hits with the torps, but between the DDs and CLs ALL launching so many torps you could literally walk on them, it was nearly impossible to get a kill. Plus forgetabout getting close to a tier 6+ bot CV for a kill. Their AA is super-accurate and you'll lose a whole squadron in SECONDS. Doesn't matter how much jinking and jumping around you do with your planes, the bot CV just exterminates them. Back in the good ol' days, bot AA fire was a joke. You launched TWO squadrons, one bomber and one torp, hit the bot CV with the bombers to light him up and get him to use his repair kit, then hit him with the torp planes you had circling to finish him off. And it wasn't just 2 planes attacking, it was the WHOLE SQUADRON. So you had 5-6 torps in the water, not just 2. That at least put you on an even keel with the DDs and CLs. Not any more.

Don't feel bad Iron, it's not just you. In PvE, using a CV is NOT a pleasant experience in tier 6+.  Now LittleWhiteMouse will post all kinds of screenshots of her being at the top of the heap in CVs, but ONLY in PvP. She doesn't post squat about her results in PvE, because she knows full well she would stink there. That guy "Greaser" that I posted for being top player in the PvE game had some spectacular results. No doubt about it, he's VERY good. Here's my results for the battle I was just in. Note that my Captain is being retrained and is only getting 50% of his six skills. So its a handicap until he is fully trained. At least I didn't finish at the bottom. But also note the ships that finished in the top 5...ALL CLs or DDs. This is the situation CVs are working against. So many ships with torps that are spamming them like crazy. And they are in the front lines of the battle and CVs have to fly from the rear to get TO where the bots are to launch there TWO torps. 

shot-19.11.08_14.21.04-0223.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
2,300 posts
5,512 battles

Played some CV today. Good grief...the torp spam is unreal with DDs and CLs. No wonder we are seeing so many pink players. Nobody seems to give a **** if they are pink or not. They just spam a crapload of torps in the general direction of the bots and "hope for the best". Are these pinkies the ones from PvP that have been banned from PvP play? :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,017 posts
12,695 battles
On 11/7/2019 at 7:45 PM, Deputy276 said:

On 11/7/2019 at 8:46 PM, GhostSwordsman said:

Deputy, I start my run about 5-6km out, but wait until I am close to drop the torps. While you are down at wavetop level on the run, the AA is lessened some to allow for some of the planes to survive to actually make a drop. I usually only make one or two drops per squadron, so as to not be deplaned.

Members
2,300 posts
5,512 battles

Thanks Kiz! Good info. I'm still experimenting with the "ideal distance" to click for the drop. Seems to vary from plane to plane based on nationality. Also helps to have the Captain fully trained on CV skills. I just wish WG would take an interest in the PvE situation with CVs. They usually finish at the very bottom with little damage and no ships sunk. That sure wasn't the way it was prior to this big change. :Smile_sad:

[PVE]
Members
20,017 posts
12,695 battles
4 minutes ago, Deputy276 said:

Thanks Kiz! Good info. I'm still experimenting with the "ideal distance" to click for the drop. Seems to vary from plane to plane based on nationality. Also helps to have the Captain fully trained on CV skills. I just wish WG would take an interest in the PvE situation with CVs. They usually finish at the very bottom with little damage and no ships sunk. That sure wasn't the way it was prior to this big change. :Smile_sad:

It does vary as each nation and plane has it's own time to stabilize it seems.

As for cmdrs, I went with this list as a default for CV cmdrs.

IEB, IE, SE/Arm, CE, Arm/SE, AS, LG and not sure for the other 4pts. I only have 12pt CV cmdrs at the highest, so all of mine are IEB, IE, SE/Arm, CE so far. I tried the Sight Stabilization on the PTS where I could add and remove it to see how effective it was and I was not impressed. Since then, WG has changed SS, but I have not went back to see if it is good or not. If you like SS, do it for the 10th point and get CE later.

[COOP2]
Members
319 posts
8,775 battles
On 11/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, Deputy276 said:

Their AA is super-accurate and you'll lose a whole squadron in SECONDS.

It's also the fighters the carriers put up for defence. They put up 4 of them and have a long loiter time. When flying at tier 4 the CV's own AA doesn't do much but when the fighters swoop in you watch your squad evaporate. At tier 6 it's even worse because the CV's AA is far better and they still have 4 fighters in the air. One drop and then the squad is gone.

On 11/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, Deputy276 said:

So many ships with torps that are spamming them like crazy.

One reason why the US battleships at mid tier frustrate me, just not fast enough to get into position to make an impact as sometimes you don't have many (or any!) targets to shoot. Where's Kongo when you need her.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:22 PM, Deputy276 said:

That sure wasn't the way it was prior to this big change.

Nope the CVs were for the tiers I was using them my top average damage per game ships in co-op.

With the current CVs, if someone accused my of drinking heavily while playing CVs in this game it wouldn't surprise me if they saw how bad my aim can be at times.

Members
24 posts
328 battles
On 11/7/2019 at 8:46 PM, GhostSwordsman said:

I have the Langley.  I start my runs at 3.5 km.  It gives me time to narrow my aim all the way down, but also have a little time to maneuver if need be.  Also, I don't run out of timer.