Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shadragon

Simple Mechanics

8 comments in this topic

[SHADR]
Members
72 posts
2,585 battles

So here's my suggestions before I go. Might even save the game. Simple game mechanics are easy to understand, especially when fair.

1) When in or behind a smoke screen (or when behind terrain), if I can't see you, you can't see me. But wait, cry the multitudes, other ships just plot and report your position. Yup, if someone else on your team sees me, you get a target on your mini-map showing my location and that's all. Make a torp attack, shoot blind, whatever, but you only have the mini-map as a guide and no other visual cues. Proximity sightings still work, but then we both see each other at the same time. That's fair. 

2) When in or behind smoke (or when behind terrain) you see my shell arcs, I see yours. That lets you fire blind with the same visual clues that I see. Again, fair to both. 

3) Using Hydroacoustic search in a smoke screen to locate red ships, I see you if you see me. Your ship is going "ping" every few seconds and we can triangulate on that. 

4) Same with RADAR. Triangulation will locate your emitter in a second. You see me, I see you.

5) RADAR / Hydroacoustic search is Line of sight. If you are snuggled up to a sheer rock wall of an island and fire off RADAR / HAS, you are not seeing jack on the other side of that island. 

This puts smoke and terrain back in the defensive category where it belongs. Want to shoot something, now you can't camp any more. Instead of crying "I need intelligence data" you have to stop island camping and go find your enemy.  

PS. I had a survey pop up when I logged in. I took it and they asked me from 1-10 how I would recommend the game to a friend. I replied 3. That was the only question. I guess Wargaming only want to hear from satisfied customers. Well, I suppose that's going to be a short list to work through. Seriously, you don't want to hear anything negative. That tells me a lot. 

• Confused 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,438 posts
27,395 battles
18 minutes ago, shadragon said:

So here's my suggestions before I go. Might even save the game. Simple game mechanics are easy to understand, especially when fair.

1) When in or behind a smoke screen (or when behind terrain), if I can't see you, you can't see me. But wait, cry the multitudes, other ships just plot and report your position. Yup, if someone else on your team sees me, you get a target on your mini-map showing my location and that's all. Make a torp attack, shoot blind, whatever, but you only have the mini-map as a guide and no other visual cues. Proximity sightings still work, but then we both see each other at the same time. That's fair. 

2) When in or behind smoke (or when behind terrain) you see my shell arcs, I see yours. That lets you fire blind with the same visual clues that I see. Again, fair to both. 

3) Using Hydroacoustic search in a smoke screen to locate red ships, I see you if you see me. Your ship is going "ping" every few seconds and we can triangulate on that. 

4) Same with RADAR. Triangulation will locate your emitter in a second. You see me, I see you.

5) RADAR / Hydroacoustic search is Line of sight. If you are snuggled up to a sheer rock wall of an island and fire off RADAR / HAS, you are not seeing jack on the other side of that island. 

This puts smoke and terrain back in the defensive category where it belongs. Want to shoot something, now you can't camp any more. Instead of crying "I need intelligence data" you have to stop island camping and go find your enemy.  

PS. I had a survey pop up when I logged in. I took it and they asked me from 1-10 how I would recommend the game to a friend. I replied 3. That was the only question. I guess Wargaming only want to hear from satisfied customers. Well, I suppose that's going to be a short list to work through. Seriously, you don't want to hear anything negative. That tells me a lot. 

There's nothing new here for the most part that hasn't been suggested MANY times in the past and shot down just as many times.  So, you shouldn't get your hopes up.

[KSC]
Members
785 posts
10,897 battles

The questions are often just 1 to 3 questions long.  It's not them being scared of criticism.

Developers love feedback.  Feedback is incredibly useful.  However, most gamers are poor game designers, so feedback is rarely just taken as is and slapped straight into the game.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,122 posts
5,652 battles
2 hours ago, shadragon said:

1) DDs would love this, others not so much.  I have no issue with it as long as nerfs to the ships it enhances accompanied the change.

2) No, that isn't how it works.  You'd be relying on picking up the echo of an echo in order to detect somebody else with their own hydro, and that is if you had the equipment to be able to detect the sound in the first place.

3) See #2.

4) See #2.

5) See #1.

Your list seems very nicely biased to make DDs vastly more powerful.

[WORX]
Members
11,381 posts
19,183 battles

The last time a player made "suggestions" to the developers...

• CV class is now broken
  • AA mechanic is now broken..

At the same time the DEvs,

• Have broken everything else in the game,
    • IMO it started with last years patches changing AP shells
    • Continue to break it with all the changes from 0.8.0.1 to current patch series.
    • The inclusion of Italian cruisers and the SAP rounds.

Now anyyone can write a dissertation over the many flaws of the game... Problem is the solution

• Maybe under embargo until a certain date.

OR

• Under an NDA clause for indefinably.

Is anyone excited for 2020?? Subs ?

The tale of the future for WOWS, good ideas, bad execution..

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
2 hours ago, shadragon said:

Beating a dead horse I see.

The mechanics are what they are get used to it.

A simple forum search would have shown the infinite number of posts crying about radar seeing through islands.

Nothing you said is going to "save the game" there is nothing to be saved the game is fine.

The simple game mechanics are easy to understand for the vast majority of the players but every so often there is someone like you that cannot quite grasp them.

Do not want to be radared? Stay away from radar ships it is that simple. They all have a limit on how far their radar reaches.

Island camping is a necessity because of the game mechanics a Cruiser with radar won't last very long out in the open. This is why there are different types of Cruisers some can play in open water like Zao or Henry and some cannot play in open water very well.

BB guns are far too accurate for most Cruisers to be tooling around without cover.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
3 hours ago, shadragon said:

But wait, cry the multitudes, other ships just plot and report your position.

I know that people say "it's an arcade game and not real" but in the real world, artillery crews rarely see what they are firing at. Even with WWII-era artillery technology, which is what we had when I was in the Army, shells can be accurately landed on target by given coordinates alone. The eight-inch howitzers we had could land a shell within a few dozen yards of a given map coordinate at a distance of 18 miles.  

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,801 posts
4,733 battles

Yah.  No.  There are several counters to concealment.  Spell after me: R.A.D.A.R.

Again, no.  There are more than you two on the map.

You're inventing your own mechanism.  There is no dicta that Hydro is *active*.  In fact, it's treated as passive in the existing documentation.

The rest of your post is similar invention.  Whatever game you think you're playing, it's not WoWS.

Sign in to follow this