You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

Have I exhausted Tech Support's usefulness?

38 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,573 battles

So I've been crashing nearly every single game I have played this week. I typically have a very stable experience in WoWs. Most of my crashes in the past have been attributable to mods (I'm looking at you extended tech tree). 

My first course of action is to play without mods in those cases, which I did here as well. Still crashed. Submitted a support case and they had me make sure my drivers were all updated and that the mods were deleted (not just disabled). Still crashing, sent in all my reports.

Today I receive this:

image.png.39badb38fa0e2c2267117f7a37d94a8c.png

Am I the only one incredulous that they think music files are causing critical error crashes? Are they just grasping at straws at this point? lol

Edited by Ducky_shot

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,891 posts
24,781 battles

Have you updated your NVIDIA drivers?

[WOLFG]
Members
34,398 posts
10,713 battles
31 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Am I the only one incredulous that they think music files are causing critical error crashes? 

Lol once you get past hardware, it's all voodoo to me.

I've gotta think though, that they have some reason to suggest that. 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,918 posts
731 battles

They're probably looking for things that load into games. Music is one of those things. So yeah, they're grasping at straws but sometimes grasping at straws is part of the troubleshooting process. Especially 'User music" which is essentially a mod.

It's a process of elimination. Once something is eliminated you know it's not part of the problem. Music, being among the larger files that load when you're loading into a game, could very well be part of the issue, even if you have the volume down. The music files still load.

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,573 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

Lol once you get past hardware, it's all voodoo to me.

I've gotta think though, that they have some reason to suggest that. 

I'm guessing that it's because they are the only extraneous files (non game related) left listed in their WGCheck report. 

[COOP2]
Members
406 posts
10,601 battles

Same problem here, still crashed after deleting mods (only used voice mods), updating drivers, running the diagnostic...

and a number of other people too to have had this crashing problem start up this week as well when there have been no problems in the past. I've never had problems before with the game crashing before this week.

I was given the same thing to try, delete music files, and (much) later today I'll see how it goes.

I will say they replied very quickly, I'm glad for the rapid response :cap_like:

2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I'm guessing that it's because they are the only extraneous files (non game related) left listed in their WGCheck report. 

my guess too

Members
248 posts
12,784 battles

I kept on locking up when exiting the game...so bad that I had to reboot everytime. I ran the file checker, sent in the WG Report and they responded back with a ZIP file that replaces the 32 & 64 core file systems in the root of the folder. It worked so I guess they are just trying to eliminate external files that may have an impact. 

Also, it wouldn't hurt to clean up the PC just incase it's heat related. Check the CPU temps as well as the video core just to make sure. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
29 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Have you updated your NVIDIA drivers?

This game is unlikely to need newer drivers and they can cause problems games that don't need the newer one. Running an older version might be in order, I am still running the 417.01 from Nov 2018. Now on firing up GeForce Experience it says there is a critical update for a couple of games I don't have and the in game overlay. Since I am not having any issues I will wait.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,774 posts
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

Am I the only one incredulous that they think music files are causing critical error crashes? Are they just grasping at straws at this point? lol

One wouldn't think so but sound cards or modules and the software they access are well known for crashing games. Age of Empires III was crashing for quite a few people and nobody could figure out why. The problem was finally isolated to a certain corrupted music file. The solution was just to delete that music file because the game was no longer being actively updated. The music file didn't cause problems for everyone but did on certain systems.

Edited by Snargfargle

[_DKM_]
Members
14 posts
7,788 battles

I just had a major crash while playing, have played since beta and have like everyone else had many in game crashes, usually after a update. This one was different for me, because when I was able to log back into the game which took awhile all my settings had been reset,game functions, ports, you name it it was changed back to "factory" settings. I had around 56 in coin that also vanished, not too concerned about the coins as much as it happening again. I was in my shima and doing fairly well. LOL

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,891 posts
24,781 battles
19 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This game is unlikely to need newer drivers and they can cause problems games that don't need the newer one. Running an older version might be in order, I am still running the 417.01 from Nov 2018. Now on firing up GeForce Experience it says there is a critical update for a couple of games I don't have and the in game overlay. Since I am not having any issues I will wait.

Just tried to play 3 matches.

1st raid no issues.

2nd raid lag.... disconnect twice.

3rd coop..lag and a dc....

No problems yesterday,  but today?!?.

Only thing changed......

I finish 4th directive and unlocked hall of fame on my last battle yesterday. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,208 posts
20,531 battles

I don't know if this is related but I tried loading mp3's into the game. They worked but caused constant crashes. Finally removed them and the crashing stopped.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,065 posts
54,325 battles

The million dollar question.

Did the OP try the suggestion from tech support and did it fix the issue?

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,353 posts

This is WG we are talking about. You exhausted tech support's usefulness when you reported a problem. From this point each response will require you to perform more complex, time consuming operations, with an increasingly remote chance of success, until you reach the point where you are asked to reinstall your operating system while dancing skyclad about the room and painting pentagrams onto yourself in unicorn blood.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,918 posts
731 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

One wouldn't think so but sound cards or modules and the software they access are well known for crashing games.

We used to be able to crash AOL by freaking out the Soundblaster driver. Given that everything of that era used a Soundblaster-based chipset, yeah. You could clear out entire chat rooms and it was hilarious. 

AOL 3.0 let you type chat commands that would trigger an audio file. You could type a command that would crash the audio driver and bluescreen anyone in the room's computer who had their chat audio turned on.

Good times. 

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
9,236 posts
12,698 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

So I've been crashing nearly every single game I have played this week. I typically have a very stable experience in WoWs. Most of my crashes in the past have been attributable to mods (I'm looking at you extended tech tree). 

My first course of action is to play without mods in those cases, which I did here as well. Still crashed. Submitted a support case and they had me make sure my drivers were all updated and that the mods were deleted (not just disabled). Still crashing, sent in all my reports.

Today I receive this:

Dare I ask when you found WG's tech support useful? Asking for a friend, and for Science.

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,573 battles
2 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Dare I ask when you found WG's tech support useful? Asking for a friend, and for Science.

They did get me my Perth finally about 8days after I paid for it a couple years back. They kept asking to see my credit card statements and such even though I had given them a paypal transaction number. I told them how I paid paypal was none of their business, just look up paypal from their side. 8 days for them to verify the transaction and get me my goods.

Beta Testers
1,831 posts

this may actually be a solution. I tried it and am clear of critical errors for 3 games now (yes, small sample size, ik)

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,573 battles
7 minutes ago, Harathan said:

That's how Tech Support works, chief. You start with the obvious and work your way towards "nah, there's no way it can be that, that doesn't make sense". 

A haiku pinned on the wall of my office: 

It's not DNS,
There's no way it's DNS.
It was DNS.

DNS is like the first thing I check with any connection issue... 

Members
1,072 posts
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Today I receive this:

OK; I'm not going to assume much here, so if you've already done any of these, that's a good thing, and +1 to you.

1) Have you run the scan & repair on the game from WGC? 

2) Have you verified you have current GPU drivers?

3) have you checked your system for corrupt system files? (sfc and dism)

4) is your antivirus prone to false positives?  Have you tried a match or two w/o it activated?  (Close your browsers, just the game, don't browse with your AV off unless you really know what not to do!)

5) Got enough disk space?  How stuffed are your temp folders ( %temp% and c/windows/temp )

6) As far as the music thing, it's probably too early in the order, usually, but, it's possible for the game's mp3 player to choke on a corrupt file and crash.  

7) Have you dumped the game's preference file?  That can cause problems if corrupt.

Just things I can think of off the top of my head.

Members
1,072 posts
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

DNS is like the first thing I check with any connection issue... 

i have a horrible time with new tech hires not understanding how important DNS is.   Seems like people who actually understand how to use command-line nslookup to verify things are a dying breed.  It's so useful...

[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,573 battles
1 hour ago, agm114r said:

OK; I'm not going to assume much here, so if you've already done any of these, that's a good thing, and +1 to you.

1) Have you run the scan & repair on the game from WGC? 

2) Have you verified you have current GPU drivers?

3) have you checked your system for corrupt system files? (sfc and dism)

4) is your antivirus prone to false positives?  Have you tried a match or two w/o it activated?  (Close your browsers, just the game, don't browse with your AV off unless you really know what not to do!)

5) Got enough disk space?  How stuffed are your temp folders ( %temp% and c/windows/temp )

6) As far as the music thing, it's probably too early in the order, usually, but, it's possible for the game's mp3 player to choke on a corrupt file and crash.  

7) Have you dumped the game's preference file?  That can cause problems if corrupt.

Just things I can think of off the top of my head.

Good things in there, most I've done. I'm always fighting to keep a good window of available space on my C drive, but It's fine right now. I dumped all the temp folders as part of that a week ago. Tried scanning the game, no errors were found. GPU driver is up to date. I don't run any AV other than windows defender. I thought that a corrupt music file is possible. Seems pretty illogical, so I will be doing what they recommend. Unfortunately, I think I'm getting very close to the reinstall option, which with my internet download speed is not something I take lightly.