Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
reza577

Whats the difference between 2 lines of DDs in each nation?

12 comments in this topic

[-N-]
Beta Testers
270 posts
7,014 battles

Hi

I been trying to figure out whats the difference between the USSR and JAPANs two different DD lines.

and from the numbers, i cant tell what the difference is.

can someone explain the difference between the left and right lines of DDs?

ty

Alpha Tester
2,409 posts
8,275 battles

Im no expert but I believe its basically a generic DD line (Japan - Shima, USSR - Groz) vs more of a gunboat line (Japan - Harugumo, USSR - Khab). 

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,200 posts
20,409 battles

The Japanese line splits and focuses on either being a torpedo themed boat the other a gun themed boat. The T10 Shimikaze is probably the best regular tech tree torpedo boat in the game. The Haragumo is one of the better gun boat DD's in the game.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,118 battles

IJN- Mainline is torpedo boats, the split becomes more of a gunboat line at t8 (the t6/7 are still torpedo boats)

VMF- Mainline are run and gun DDs with poor concealment but good speed and guns, the split are DDs that are more balanced, often still gunboats but also with workable torps and concealment. 

Members
12,624 posts
14,320 battles
28 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

The Japanese line splits and focuses on either being a torpedo themed boat the other a gun themed boat. The T10 Shimikaze is probably the best regular tech tree torpedo boat in the game. The Haragumo is one of the better gun boat DD's in the game.

Yeah this is true enough, but would like to add that at least some of the IJN torpedo focused line ships can actually put up a surprising gunfight if they choose where and against what with some care, or if they get cornered and decide to go down fighting they can inflict good amounts of damage before being sunk.

Beta Testers
1,713 posts
4,329 battles
32 minutes ago, ThumperD702 said:

One line is the gun boats, the other is the torp boats.  

Kind of, but the Japanese lines are a bit muddled, to say the least.  And they're not so gun or torp focused that you can ignore the "secondary" weapon systems.  Watched many IJN "torpboats" die without ever firing their guns.  And not a few gunboats go down without trying to torp.

Members
279 posts
1,297 battles

I just reached the cross road and been debating what line to take. As firing guns gives position away I am pulling more to the torp line. Staying Dark and firing torps does seem to be the standard at least at the start of a match. 

What about handling, and concealment vs torp range for each line? I believe i read that the gun boat line has slightly bigger ships making them easier to hit. Is that noticeable? Or to small of difference to really matter?

[PISD]
Members
2,009 posts
6,640 battles
1 hour ago, Quor_Dresden said:

I just reached the cross road and been debating what line to take. As firing guns gives position away I am pulling more to the torp line. Staying Dark and firing torps does seem to be the standard at least at the start of a match. 

What about handling, and concealment vs torp range for each line? I believe i read that the gun boat line has slightly bigger ships making them easier to hit. Is that noticeable? Or to small of difference to really matter?

For the Japanese ships, it is quite noticeable. The Shima vs the Harugumo got around .5 km of concealment difference, in the advantage of the Shimakaze. The Shima also goes 4knt faster and have a tighter turn radius. And while BB will only overpen the Shima, Harugumo can get full damage from BB shell (which can make a quick return to port). In general I tend to thing that gunboat are better in ranked while Shima is better in Clan battle.

Members
279 posts
1,297 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

For the Japanese ships, it is quite noticeable. The Shima vs the Harugumo got around .5 km of concealment difference, in the advantage of the Shimakaze. The Shima also goes 4knt faster and have a tighter turn radius. And while BB will only overpen the Shima, Harugumo can get full damage from BB shell (which can make a quick return to port). In general I tend to thing that gunboat are better in ranked while Shima is better in Clan battle.

Thanks for the response. I am a long ways away from those top tier ships but if the line to them is similar I got my eye on enjoying the Fubuki for a while. I am not a regular DD player and have not done ranked or clan battles yet. Just randoms for me for now. Thanks again!

[FML]
Members
4,314 posts
16,490 battles
4 hours ago, reza577 said:

Hi

I been trying to figure out whats the difference between the USSR and JAPANs two different DD lines.

and from the numbers, i cant tell what the difference is.

can someone explain the difference between the left and right lines of DDs?

ty

Hi, as others have mentioned the tech tree lines are split based on whether the DDs are optimised as ‘gunboat’ DDs or ‘torpedoboat’ DDs.

3 hours ago, Quor_Dresden said:

Stealthy torpedoboats can be hard to do well in - planes and radar can spot you at awkward moments, and if you miss your torps you need to wait a minute or two to line up another shot. But when they do connect, it can be devastating. 

Both of you might be interested in my Ship Role quick reference guide - it has which ships are which types, plus quick suggestions on how to play the ships and how to play against those ships. 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/187335-quick-reference-guide-understanding-your-ships-role-and-how-to-defeat-all-enemies/

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this