You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SuperComm4

Self-Destruct mode?

15 comments in this topic

[REKTD]
Members
328 posts
10,155 battles

Yesterday in my first match I observed a Massachusetts accompanying 2 cruisers leading a flank charge.

Before I could even fire I saw a few splashes and a massive explosion in which he lost over 50k hp and was destroyed. The ticker said that he sank himself, and at the end of the match he was listed as -1. He was the first loss on his team.

I am curious as to how this is possible? My initial thought was he was pink and was dealing friendly fire, but that usually would be more gradual. If he got kicked his boat would just stop. It seemed a bit early for a rage quit.

Anyone have insight into this sort of occurrence?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,716 posts
19,912 battles
1 minute ago, CuriousShadow said:

He shot teammates until the damage was reflected back upon himself, resulting in his own death.

^

[MHG]
Members
110 posts
22,513 battles

As for the usual gradual nature of the TK damage - if he's a Massachusetts shooting at a nearby friendly cruiser he could get multiple citadels, all reflected back.  That could really hurt.

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,264 posts
17,123 battles

Heyo

Yep, this is correct, he dealt enough damage to a friendly ship that he was penalized and the reflected back on him.

Fem, 

• Funny 1

[REKTD]
Members
328 posts
10,155 battles

Ok, so he must have citadel hit several cruisers since none were sunk; or is there an “accelerator” on FF damage? That last 51k went in one go.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,785 posts
9,354 battles
3 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

Ok, so he must have citadel hit several cruisers since none were sunk; or is there an “accelerator” on FF damage? That last 51k went in one go.

I believe the case is that friendlies don't take damage from the pink ship, it all refects.

Members
1,374 posts

I was in a DD and shooting the 100mm guns.  My connection dropped and when I got back in the game my DD was sunk and my team laughing.

The DD had kept firing and the shells hit a friendly Cruiser and bounced back to eventually sink me.   I got the -1 on the team score and was pink. The Cruiser lost 7% health. The Cruiser owner typed he could not stop laughing. 

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,937 battles
4 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

I was in a DD and shooting the 100mm guns.  My connection dropped and when I got back in the game my DD was sunk and my team laughing.

The DD had kept firing and the shells hit a friendly Cruiser and bounced back to eventually sink me.   I got the -1 on the team score and was pink. The Cruiser lost 7% health. The Cruiser owner typed he could not stop laughing. 

I had that happen in WoT during randoms in my KV4. I was still somewhat able to control things, albeit with a 5 second delay but the gun would not stop firing. Ended up putting two rounds into the back of a E75 before I realized what was up.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, SuperComm4 said:

Yesterday in my first match I observed a Massachusetts accompanying 2 cruisers leading a flank charge.

Before I could even fire I saw a few splashes and a massive explosion in which he lost over 50k hp and was destroyed. The ticker said that he sank himself, and at the end of the match he was listed as -1. He was the first loss on his team.

I am curious as to how this is possible? My initial thought was he was pink and was dealing friendly fire, but that usually would be more gradual. If he got kicked his boat would just stop. It seemed a bit early for a rage quit.

Anyone have insight into this sort of occurrence?

59 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Never seen that before. Unless friendly cruiser torped him? Very strange.

I have seen this before where an enemy pink player either rammed, shot, or torpedoed a ship or ships on their team until the pink player sank themselves from the damage getting reflected back on them. Really rare to see this happen, but I have seen a definite case of this happening at least once.

Also worth mentioning that a CV player can sink themselves even if they are not pink if they drop torpedoes or bombs on their own ship with their planes. (Not sure If Rocket planes would be efficient enough to do this quickly or not, so you typically would see or hear about torpedo bombers or dive bombers doing the task.) I am sort of on the fence as far as a CV killing themselves as it typically has only been when their team is all sunk, enemy strength is too great to successfully win against them, and enemy is searching for the CV and likely to locate it soon. In  these circumstances if a CV sinks themselves to end the battle faster and to deprive enemy of the kill I am understanding about it and don’t report it. Only time I would have a problem with CV sinking themselves would be if it’s done while any allied ships are still alive.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,207 posts
14,758 battles
1 hour ago, SuperComm4 said:

58 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I believe the case is that friendlies don't take damage from the pink ship, it all refects.

They take reduced damage until the ship causing the team damage turns pink. After that it is 100% reflected with no reduction.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,296 posts
22,179 battles
4 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Also worth mentioning that a CV player can sink themselves even if they are not pink if they drop torpedoes 

Brings back the fond memories of the old days where I accidentally torp myself while trying to sink a pesky DD.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
2 hours ago, Harathan said:

Haven't ever seen that. Hope I don't ever. Very unsportsmanlike.

You see it in tanks sometimes if there is a nice cliff or deep water nearby it’s not too uncommon for a tanker to destroy themselves to not allow the enemy team the extra kill. Or sometimes it’s done accidentally as well if your low HP and trying to get away, and go over a hill a bit enthusiastically in a light tank in particular, what would normally result in slight damage to tracks and hull can end up killing you instead lol.

But far more rare to see such things happen in WOWs, although I do sometimes suspect an unhappy “Teammate” will intentionally get themselves killed to get out of a battle without risk of penalty by rushing enemy and getting sunk right away in a battle. And really hard to prove unless they specifically state that was what they were doing. They may have simply voiced complaints about the MM, map, or what ever, then some how they get sunk by enemy within first 1-4 minutes of the battle.