You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

I finally broke 100 Karma....

27 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
491 posts
22,133 battles

Before I took a three month break from the game I was a salty potato.  I was one of those dead guys in game chat that accused his teammates of lack of support and being stupid players.  I never asked anyone to uninstall, but I did beg the red team once to not cap our base but to go kill the 'worthless BBs that would not fight' instead.  Y'all know the type of player I was, you see them in battle all the time.  My Karma score back then was between 0 and 5, never better.

Thanks to advice from clan mates and people on this forum I have come to understand that my play is all I can control, and I've learned to play smarter and stay afloat longer.  I'm having fun playing, and the win rate is improving.

I know some of you think Karma is a useless stat.  That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion.  However, I appreciate teammates who complement my play and I have enjoyed the journey from less than five to finally breaking 100.  I don't even get a cookie for the improvement, but I'm still proud of what's changed and I will work hard to reach 1000.

1598935534_Screenshot(35).png.b3cb3d7d345d05d8555632e6441a9713.png

• Cool 14
  • Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,808 posts
16,992 battles

Congratulations man. That is a accomplishment to be proud of. Good job.

out of +1's so :cap_like:

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
43 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

Before I took a three month break from the game I was a salty potato.  I was one of those dead guys in game chat that accused his teammates of lack of support and being stupid players.  I never asked anyone to uninstall, but I did beg the red team once to not cap our base but to go kill the 'worthless BBs that would not fight' instead.  Y'all know the type of player I was, you see them in battle all the time.  My Karma score back then was between 0 and 5, never better.

Thanks to advice from clan mates and people on this forum I have come to understand that my play is all I can control, and I've learned to play smarter and stay afloat longer.  I'm having fun playing, and the win rate is improving.

I know some of you think Karma is a useless stat.  That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion.  However, I appreciate teammates who complement my play and I have enjoyed the journey from less than five to finally breaking 100.  I don't even get a cookie for the improvement, but I'm still proud of what's changed and I will work hard to reach 1000.

Yay, you got 100 points of nothing! WTG!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,900 posts
11,670 battles

That's really good ……. I don't know what mine is because its useless and I have never looked I'm sure its zero because that's the lowest you can go .

Edited by clammboy

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,310 posts
23,743 battles

Well done Joe! I wouldn't pay any attention to those who will whine about it being a worthless number, they generally have karma in the single digits. 

Personally I like karma as it gives me an idea of what my fellow players think of the job I am doing. If I lose karma, I know that I said or did something that someone didn't like. Playing politely, being encouraging or often, just not being a twit, is all it takes to start accruing karma. Sure in PvP there will be those who get butthurt if you sink them, nothing you can do to change that and you can lose karma that way. I think it is probably more rare than not and it is often stated as a reason someone has a very low karma score. What is more likely is those players are just obnoxious and getting hits because of it. I find many of those people to be clueless about how nasty they are in the game. 

Congratulations on your score and thank you for being the kind of player that other people like playing the game with. We need more people like you in WoWS. 

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[KIA-C]
Members
3,552 posts
15,629 battles

GG now play a bit of Smolensk or CV.

Don't worry nothing will happens to your karma afterward

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,643 battles
2 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

GG now play a bit of Smolensk or CV.

Don't worry nothing will happens to your karma afterward

Contrary to what people say, playing CV well is actually a great way to get more karma, I've found. Now, if you spam slingshots into AAA ships, that would probably lose you karma, but playing CV by itself doesn't tend to be enough to dock one karma.

Of course, this requires being good at CV, but that's another topic entirely.

[PVE]
Members
12,585 posts
26,177 battles
4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well done Joe! I wouldn't pay any attention to those who will whine about it being a worthless number, they generally have karma in the single digits. 

Personally I like karma as it gives me an idea of what my fellow players think of the job I am doing. If I lose karma, I know that I said or did something that someone didn't like. Playing politely, being encouraging or often, just not being a twit, is all it takes to start accruing karma. Sure in PvP there will be those who get butthurt if you sink them, nothing you can do to change that and you can lose karma that way. I think it is probably more rare than not and it is often stated as a reason someone has a very low karma score. What is more likely is those players are just obnoxious and getting hits because of it. I find many of those people to be clueless about how nasty they are in the game. 

Congratulations on your score and thank you for being the kind of player that other people like playing the game with. We need more people like you in WoWS. 

This ^^^.

Well said Taylor as usual.

Congrat's OP.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PHD]
Members
193 posts
10,821 battles

I don't think mine has ever been over 20. Burn someone to the ground with the Conq, they down vote, stay alive in a losing game, your teammates down vote you, get nailed quickly because you run into a CV or something, down vote. Paddle that cruiser giving broadside, down vote for you. Someone thinks your Russian ship is overpowered, down vote. Yet do 200k damage, high calibre, fireproof, kracken and a confederate badge and carry the team to a win......no up votes. That's why I never bothered with Karma.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
6,770 posts
16,216 battles

I play the same ships everyone else does.  Yes, you may get a down vote from a salty player now and then for playing this or that, but if you pull your weight, contribute to the team effort, and don't let your mouth get the best of you in chat, you will earn up votes.

In my early days I also let my temper and frustration show up in chat.  Playing as a Corgi Captain and a Maskarado actually helped me curb that.  I sure as heck didn't want to talk like that as an event account.  Once I realized it really wasn't that hard to stop being unpleasant, I continued to act that way on my main account. 

I was at 300 karma yesterday (solo player).  Playing Smolensk got me a -1.  I got torped to death by a team mate, who then proceeded to rage at me (because it was MY fault, of course).  Another -1.  But, with a good game I can draw +1-4.  When I was harsh in chat, I could lose 1-4 in a game.

We can't trade that karma in on anything, so you can call it meaningless if you like.  I believe it can also tell you something about yourself as a player, if you are willing to accept it.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
5 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Gaining karma not only depending on being nice in chat, playing well, supporting team, but also not using ships that you can wipe out half the enemy team signee handedly in too often. Enemy players particularly on weekends tend to get annoyed and will hit you with the occasional downvote. A good example is torpedo reload booster Harekaze can really annoy the enemy after you have either nailed multiple ships with torpedoes or else missed with first torp wall and second torp wall catches them by surprise as they sometimes expect the first torp wall, but usually not the second one right after. Plus you tend to be an unsung hero by greatly softening up enemy HP, scouting, spotting, the things your team dies not often take notice of, but if enemy figures out it’s you, then they often hit you with a report when frustrated by your stealth tactics.

I have gained about 300 karma, ( I keep track of karma points, or at least the points I notice that get added anyway), but tend to hover around 5-12 karma points at any given time.

[SPTR]
Members
27,186 posts
16,922 battles

Congratulations OP it tells that there are at least 101 players that want you on their team again(and not on the enemy team again if the +1 you as a worth adversary), I entered the 300s club during the last rank sprint. Sitting at 317 currently.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
491 posts
22,133 battles

Thanks for the kind words and replies.  It's good to know that others see the value in striving to be a good teammate.

One change that I think would be good is a sticky similar to what you get when you have the pleasure of going pink.  I sometimes go several days without checking my Karma score, so there is no way to know what I did for the plus or minus votes.  I also don't always pay attention to the notifications as they roll past, especially if I play several battles in the same ship without going to port in between.  Having feedback that creates a message that must be responded to would allow a person to have a chance to think about the specific battle and perhaps understand what he did that caused another player to respond.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

Nice work OP... karma for me was a measurement of success in a change of gaming philosophy.

I used to be a lot saltier and discovered it wasn’t making people smarter so I changed my approach overall and must say I’m quite a bit happier. How much happier? Well that’s typically reflected in my karma score. 

I’ve built some personal significance into the karma score since otherwise it’s utterly useless. Instead of just dismissing it completely I tried to turn it into a tool I could use to challenge myself to be more pleasant in game. By doing this I found I actually focused on good elements of the game I enjoyed instead of the many things I can’t stand- and by doing that I enjoyed playing a bit more. Seems you have a similar approach.

I’ve had my eye on reaching100 karma for awhile too so I admire / envy your sense of accomplishment. I’ll be there soon I hope.

Congrats!

• Cool 1

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles

I had 234 Karma before I started playing twilight mode, and running a 3 man SINOP div.

Now Im down to like 84....LOL what a game. 

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,680 battles

Zero karma here.  I try to be a team player, don't go out of my way to steal kills, just try to do my share of damage.  I pass up on many torp shots so I don't team kill, avoid collisions often at the expense of my own health, and apologize for collisions even when they are clearly the other party (like when I was sitting still behind an island) - and I have probably given in to the urge to snark in chat no more than twice in entire WoWS career.  Dunno what more I can do, so I ignore it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,310 posts
23,743 battles
1 minute ago, MasterofGladness said:

Oh look some guy in a clan who runs divisions gets complimented by his buddies.

Neat.

You can't give karma to your division mates..................... 

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,122 battles

I only want more karma so I have more reports.  I get random reports for no apparent reason on a pretty regular basis, to the point that it's kind of a running joke between me and a couple of buddies.

Edited by Deviathan

[SALVO]
Members
4,505 posts
20,707 battles
14 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Reported :Smile-_tongue:

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
7 hours ago, Episcopo said:

Zero karma here.  I try to be a team player, don't go out of my way to steal kills, just try to do my share of damage.  I pass up on many torp shots so I don't team kill, avoid collisions often at the expense of my own health, and apologize for collisions even when they are clearly the other party (like when I was sitting still behind an island) - and I have probably given in to the urge to snark in chat no more than twice in entire WoWS career.  Dunno what more I can do, so I ignore it.

Don’t worry, keep doing those things and it will come. I have found carrying teams to a win tends to be the biggest reason for getting positive karma, but not usually those massive 200k+ damage wins I suppose because people assume we lose and drop and don’t look back until it’s too late. 

[NFE]
Members
360 posts
3,263 battles

I've found the best way to get karma is to joke around with someone as we are mopping up the usual rofl-stomp. Say something funny, get karma. Carry the team with a 140k game, spot when I should, smoke when they need it, scout and cap, no karma. I wish they would at least let you know if it was your own team or the reds that gave/took karma; that way you know whether to pay attention to it or not.

• Cool 1