You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CorvusBB39

SAP shells

11 comments in this topic

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
574 posts
14,104 battles

There's no article on them in the Wiki but, owning no Italian ships until a couple weeks ago, I didn't care.  Now I have two and so have started caring.

It might be bias confirmation but it seems the chance for starting a fire is way lower than for plain ol' HE.  Is it worthwhile running firebug signals and skills?

Conversely, does IFHE for the smaller calibers make any sense?

Assuming CA vs. CA when does it make sense to switch to AP?

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,270 posts
8,371 battles
8 minutes ago, CorvusBB39 said:

There's no article on them in the Wiki but, owning no Italian ships until a couple weeks ago, I didn't care.  Now I have two and so have started caring.

It might be bias confirmation but it seems the chance for starting a fire is way lower than for plain ol' HE.  Is it worthwhile running firebug signals and skills?

Conversely, does IFHE for the smaller calibers make any sense?

Assuming CA vs. CA when does it make sense to switch to AP?

I only have Genova, but it would appear to me that fire chance is nil or incredibly low?    I cannot imagine IFHE would have any value since it is technically an AP round?   If a CA or BB turns broadside,  you can bet I'm firing AP if its armor is good..    SAP is a pretty consistent damage dealer for lighter armored targets with its very short fuse time as it almost eliminates Overpens.     

[GOOF]
Members
856 posts
7,055 battles

Sap is for penning lightly armored ships or areas. Italians used these and not HE although I've been told that wasn't always the case.

Can really rack up the pain switching between SAP and AP

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,281 posts
19,393 battles

Heyo!

Welcome to the IT Cruisers,

We just released a how-to on the new IT CAs and some of their peculiarities and how to play them:

SAP shells do not have the ability to set any fires so flags and captains benefitting these elements will not help you.

Fem, 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
279 posts
1,297 battles

They explain themselves if you mouse over them before entering a match. And I think in a match you can hold control and mouse over them for a description. Just basicly armor pen shell light. 

I do like starting fires but they dont always happen in succession and the fires get put out. If they dont reapply soon after red burns a repair consumable you lose a nice bit of damage. Nice thing about sap is they are more consistent vs light armored targets. If only they were available on a cruiser I preferred.

[RLGN]
Members
16,841 posts
29,512 battles
1 hour ago, grorg said:

Sap is for penning lightly armored ships or areas. Italians used these and not HE although I've been told that wasn't always the case.

Can really rack up the pain switching between SAP and AP

The same was effectively said about RN SAP; I came to not believe that to be the truth then, and I don’t believe it now about the RM SAP now.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

Oops ... 2:18  "We should point out, that starting from Tier 5, Italian cruisers have 203 mm guns."

I keep hearing how SAP causes so much damage ... all I have is the Montecuccolli so maybe by Tier 7 plus this will improve, as I've also heard.  

Right now my damage with SAP is far less than with non-Italian cruisers.  I would like to see them work, but not impressed atm.

[-A-8-]
Members
631 posts
24,212 battles

As an aside, and apologies if you were aware of this, but if you hover over the "Main Battery" part of the Artillery section you'll get an info panel on the guns. This will show shell types and fire chances among other details. I've added a couple here as examples.

Montecuccoli

image.png.5bc003d1bf3268055fb18ab37580acf1.png

Atlanta

image.png.36867a1d258b5983c28899dbd06b0e03.png

[WOLFG]
Members
13,410 posts
12,847 battles
2 hours ago, DocWalker said:

Oops ... 2:18  "We should point out, that starting from Tier 5, Italian cruisers have 203 mm guns."

I keep hearing how SAP causes so much damage ... all I have is the Montecuccolli so maybe by Tier 7 plus this will improve, as I've also heard.  

Right now my damage with SAP is far less than with non-Italian cruisers.  I would like to see them work, but not impressed atm.

Having the Montecuccolli and Genova, I can say that the 208 SAP is more effective than the 152.

I wouldn't say much more effective though.

Members
36 posts
4,134 battles

I finished a Genova match earlier tonight and it ended 2v2 style. Me, as the Genova, and a carrier vs the Unitus Viribus whatever new bb and the Texas. I actually could not hurt the Viribus bb at all with SAP. I tried shooting the super structure, under the guns, at the guns, everywhere. It would break every salvo of shells. I could barely hurt the Texas. I'm talking a few hundred damage. I switched to AP and was doing more damage and they were not even broadside. Basically, it ended with me running away while the Texas chased me because my ship literally couldn't do anything else. I tried sending the useless torps, so slow even the Texas had no trouble dodging. I let the carrier fight them while I just stayed alive and let the timer run ftw. So the Italian ships need a rework and they're suppose to come out next week hahaha. They're in a very bad spot. I haven't even mentioned the extreme JOKE of a reload time these squishy cruisers have to sit around waiting to fire their very underwhelming guns. Of course, being a premium, the Genova gets an even worse than normal reload at 20 seconds lol. To top it off, they cannot start fires. Italian cruisers are BY FAR the worst ships WG has put in the game. It's actually surprising they're releasing them this way. You'd think they would want people to keep playing their game, so they would give them fun boats to grind through. Alright, rant over. I'm very sad and was looking forward to a new cruiser line, being a cruiser main. Guess I'll keep looking forward to the British heavy cruisers next year.

Edited by Miadous

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles
42 minutes ago, Miadous said:

I could barely hurt the Texas. I'm talking a few hundred damage. I switched to AP and was doing more damage and they were not even broadside. Basically, it ended with me running away while the Texas chased me because my ship literally couldn't do anything else. 

I always see many claims of this but I've never found it happening in game. Low tier BBs get hurt by SAP everywhere, the damage is much higher than with any other cruiser even against angled targets.

Look at this damage with SAP only 3 shell hits against an almost bow on BB who has a saturated superstructure, worst case scenario for this ship which can do more than 10k with SAP given ideal circumstances.

Spoiler

cf953774fd.jpg

Average game (ricochets were mostly from AP shots)

Spoiler

484502123d.png