You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chain_shot

Will this impact WG Asian player base?

28 comments in this topic

[PIMPS]
Members
1,782 posts

Video game addiction: China imposes gaming curfew for minors

China is imposing a curfew on online gaming for minors, the government has announced.

Gamers under 18 will be banned from playing online between 22:00 and 08:00. They will also be restricted to 90 minutes of gaming on weekdays and three hours on weekends and holidays.

Its part of China's latest move to curb video game addiction, which officials say is damaging to children's health.....

...China is one of the world's largest gaming markets. The official government guidelines - released on Tuesday - include spending limits for minors.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50315960

Wondering if player base will be impacted by this action. Will there be a drop in player base during the week with a 90 minute limit?

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,935 posts
46,900 battles

I doubt it would affect the SEA server.

As far as the China server, who knows.  How is this curfew going to be enforced?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

First they came for the gamers, and I did not speak because I was not a gamer...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
7 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

How is this curfew going to be enforced?

Well the Chinese Communication bureau is the ISP for the entire State so I assume it will involve IP Blockings to certain servers. 

5 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

First they came for the gamers, and I did not speak because I was not a gamer...

"First." If only it was first.

That said I do not totally object to the concept, but would prefer a variation that was an opt-in at the behest of the parents/guardians or even self; I know people who have used those lockout programs to force attention to task.

Edited by _RC1138

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles

The kids will just play on dad's account. Untrackable, untraceable, unprovable. 

Members
1,625 posts
16 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

that's Bertolt Brecht, KiyoSenhan :Smile_veryhappy:, well known and applies to fascisme...I guess that it is very authoritarian to keep the kids out of their screens...

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles

Authoritarian government doing authoritarian things.

Doesn't China have it's own server that nobody else can access without a VPN (this illegally) anyway? I don't see how this would impact anyone outside of China. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

We both know that a totalitarian communist regime is not going to give its citizens any choice at all if they can help it.

This is less about "thE CHildReN!" and more about the government exerting further control on their citizens.

Exactly. How hard would it be for China to turn a "curfew on minors playing videogames" into "A curfew for everyone using the internet" to "Internet only for those with high enough social credit score" to "No internet for anyone"?

Protip: Not hard. 

It's all about control. And not even subtly. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,211 posts
14,758 battles
2 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Authoritarian government doing authoritarian things.

Doesn't China have it's own server that nobody else can access without a VPN (this illegally) anyway? I don't see how this would impact anyone outside of China. 

This, they are not truly Communist anymore, it is more fuedal with Communist trappings but they are definitely authoritarian. Not to get political but the Chinese government is a bunch of old men desperately holding onto power and when they fall it is going to get ugly.

Yes, they have their own server.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

We both know that a totalitarian communist regime is not going to give its citizens any choice at all if they can help it. 

Obviously, but like most ideas, it is inofitself neutral and in this case, combating a real problem. Execution is horrible, as par for the course of that particular government, but the inherent principle I do not think is objectionable: a tool to combat a very real problem that is addiction (in this case, video games).

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles
7 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

like most ideas, it is inofitself neutral

No, it's not. It stifles personal responsibility. You should know better.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,680 posts
35,900 battles
17 minutes ago, loco_max said:

that's Bertolt Brecht, KiyoSenhan :Smile_veryhappy:, well known and applies to fascisme...I guess that it is very authoritarian to keep the kids out of their screens...

Wrong.

That was a poem by Martin Niemöller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...

[SQUAD]
Members
9,176 posts
11,689 battles

I'd suggest that folks keep politics out of all this, you'll get shut down by the mods if you don't. Not knocking anyone, I'm just saying that's what will happen.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

That's over 13 hours a week of gaming, hardly a draconian law. Kids shouldn't be spending all their time gaming anyway, nor should they be awake gaming when they should be sleeping.

When I was a kid we didn't have computers or video games. What did I do for fun? We played sports -- basketball, track, football, and baseball. We went boating and water skiing. We went snowmobiling and snow skiing. We went hiking, camping, hunting and fishing. I did a lot of reloading and shooting and archery too. I built things in shop. I mowed lawns for extra money and then when I turned 14 worked on farms. I also read a lot and had a chemistry set that gave me hours of enjoyment. I never felt deprived not having video games.    

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, it enhances it. If you read what I said:

1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

That said I do not totally object to the concept, but would prefer a variation that was an opt-in at the behest of the parents/guardians or even self; I know people who have used those lockout programs to force attention to task.

Being able to tell your ISP, of your own accord, 'Hey don't let me connect to this or that server past this time of day or for X hours' is giving YOURSELF a tool to control your own behavior. The idea itself is neutral, how it is implemented: forced by on high over-reach or as a tool to be utilized by oneself or by a minor's guardians, determines if it is good or bad.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
56 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But, obviously, a certain gov't believes some of its citizens are not taking their personal responsibility seriously.

There are reasons why some things are out of control.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,038 posts
10,529 battles
42 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

I'd suggest that folks keep politics out of all this,

Hard to keep politics out of something that is inherently a political decision.  

I am reminded that yesterday was Guy Fawkes day - and the amount of people who show V for Vendetta on that day.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,518 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Upvote for knowing this!

1 hour ago, loco_max said:

Wrong , it's from Martin Niemöller. He was a German priest, that first welcome the Nazi, since they got rid of the anti clerical Communists. But seeing what the Nazi did, he turned into a critic and was sentenced to Sachsenhausen concentration camp after 1938. He survived it. The original quote is

„Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Kommunist.
Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.
Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.
Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.“

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Sounds difficult to enforce, likely will only affect teens that play at internet bars, even there enforcement will likely be spotty.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Nobody should be surprised that a totalitarian government would behave in this manner.

Anyone who thinks that such a course of action is in any way tolerable or worthy of consideration in a free country needs to take a good, hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Yeah, it's a thin line between "looking out for people" and "nanny state".

But, this decision concerns children.  There are many things that look like totalitarianism when it comes to children.  We limit them and do things for them "for their own good".

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles
1 minute ago, Gasboy said:

Yeah, it's a thin line between "looking out for people" and "nanny state".

But, this decision concerns children.  There are many things that look like totalitarianism when it comes to children.  We limit them and do things for them "for their own good".

And then some of us move on to adults. 

• Cool 1

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
791 posts
12,722 battles

China can enforce it by leaning heavily on companies to police it for them.  Look at the people speaking out for Hong Kong and then companies back peddling to keep in the Chinese government's good graces.

cn.gif.9dbfc83dbd8502030dea90d73b4cc681.gif