You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxic_Potato

Genova is just fine -- Well Done WG DEVS

39 comments in this topic

Members
1,374 posts

280259696_Genova1.thumb.png.e4ad1259e8f987ed7f9385eebfb74f87.png

Please notice the top ship for both the winners and those who did not win...(Losers)  Yes my team lost.....

How is it that the TOP SHIP for both teams was the much maligned and spit upon Italian Tier V Cruiser Genova??????

Don't listen to the complainers you did just fine War Gaming 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 9

[--K--]
Members
5,392 posts
17,924 battles

Did you know with enough thrust you can make a pig fly? 

And Clearly several captains in Better ships didn't know how to play them. 

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Wow, this single scrap of anecdotal evidence from a well-known forum troll - evidence in which you appear to have not performed particularly well even relative to teammates - has DEFINITELY changed my mind on the latest utterly useless tier 5 ship added to the game.

tenor.gif

Edited by lochlan_
oversize font
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[T_O_P]
Members
430 posts
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

Hey guys, look! Tiny sample size is now definitive evidence!

Better yet, WHO really represents the smaller sample size - those that are happy with it, don't complain, and maybe don't even visit the forums at all, or players that think it is complete garbage and vocalise it everywhere?

Not taking either position in this, but rather interested in actual numbers. I mean... all around the world MANY people must have acquired Genova (probably only WG knows real numbers?). Lets say it's... idk..10000? and 1000 people hhate it and complain about it on the forums and youtube. while 1000 may make a lot of noise and seem like "everybody" hates it, it this particular possible scenario they are actually the minority, the one loudly squeaking wheel out of four.

like i said: not taking sides here, everyone can have an opinion, but purely for statistics purposes would be interesting to know the real number of Genovas sold vs numbers of people unhappy and complaining. but something tells me WG will not be sharing the numbers, and it probably would be next to impossible to count numbers of players that are happy and unhappy.

• Boring 2

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
7 minutes ago, RusskiySpy said:

Better yet, WHO really represents the smaller sample size - those that are happy with it, don't complain, and maybe don't even visit the forums at all, or players that think it is complete garbage and vocalise it everywhere?

Not taking either position in this, but rather interested in actual numbers. I mean... all around the world MANY people must have acquired Genova (probably only WG knows real numbers?). Lets say it's... idk..10000? and 1000 people hhate it and complain about it on the forums and youtube. while 1000 may make a lot of noise and seem like "everybody" hates it, it this particular possible scenario they are actually the minority, the one loudly squeaking wheel out of four.

like i said: not taking sides here, everyone can have an opinion, but purely for statistics purposes would be interesting to know the real number of Genovas sold vs numbers of people unhappy and complaining. but something tells me WG will not be sharing the numbers, and it probably would be next to impossible to count numbers of players that are happy and unhappy.

The ship is trash. Period.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

Well looking solely at Genova vs. here tier 5 peers... The picture isn't ALL doom and gloom, but it's not in any way "good" either. The only cruisers with a worse win-rate than her are Emerald (a ship that can perform in the right hands, but fail spectacularly for want of a decent citadel), Omaha (which is on many players' first cruiser line and can be a bit difficult to get good performance out of consistently), and Monte' (which is a Diet Duca and ALSO being panned alongside Genova). Even Yahagi is doing better than her, YAHAGI of all ships!

I won't call her outright "trash", but this is NOT a comfortable ship to play.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,447 posts
20,683 battles

Genova's a perfectly serviceable T5 cruiser, just make sure you shoot first and fade fast.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
11,482 posts
19,230 battles

The Genova like all Italian pasta cruisers suffer from the same disproportionate DMG problem as all ship classes in the game...

Lethal to the point of suppression for some ship class. While being weak to do anything good to even tickle the other ship class.

Its this huge disparity that will create negative results in the long run... Like

• The rearranging of ship class roles...
    • More and more DDs will be reduce to spotting roles in a CV AND/or italian cruiser match, either or really.
    • Cruisers will now be the ship class required to cap in domination mode...

IF this is the meta of the future... People are not going to like it...

Edited by Navalpride33

Members
4,354 posts
4,615 battles
6 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Well looking solely at Genova vs. here tier 5 peers... The picture isn't ALL doom and gloom, but it's not in any way "good" either. The only cruisers with a worse win-rate than her are Emerald (a ship that can perform in the right hands, but fail spectacularly for want of a decent citadel), Omaha (which is on many players' first cruiser line and can be a bit difficult to get good performance out of consistently), and Monte' (which is a Diet Duca and ALSO being panned alongside Genova). Even Yahagi is doing better than her, YAHAGI of all ships!

I won't call her outright "trash", but this is NOT a comfortable ship to play.

I mean Yahagi might not have the raw alpha and 8 guns of Genova, its still has a 9 sec reload and HE to work with. That and better torps if you can deal with weak angles. Yahagi is a decent ship, just not outstanding like recent premiums. 

[RCNW3]
Members
1,943 posts
20,085 battles

Yes the Over-Powered Greatness of the Genova - Just going to have to park my Kamikaze - cause there is a new King of tier 5!!!

shot-19.11.05_22.31.19-0122.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,374 posts
5 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Yes the Over-Powered Greatness of the Genova - Just going to have to park my Kamikaze - cause there is a new King of tier 5!!!

shot-19.11.05_22.31.19-0122.jpg

PANZER1113..... Another player taking the Great Genova to the top of the Leader Board....  He refused to allow all of the So Called "Community Contributors" opinions keep his Genova from the rightful place on top.    Panzer1113 ..... I salute your spirit!!!   Well Done Captain !

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles
3 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Hey guys, look! Tiny sample size is now definitive evidence!

Its been definitive evidence ever since 0.8.0 CV rework.

Members
2,767 posts
93 battles

I'm in the minority that thinks Genova is pretty good. A reload buff would be really nice, but even then she's fine.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,423 posts
8,911 battles
56 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I'm in the minority that thinks Genova is pretty good. A reload buff would be really nice, but even then she's fine.

Drop her base reload rate to 18 seconds and up her main battery range to 15.3km, and I think that she’d be pretty much on par with most of the other tier V cruisers out there. 

• Cool 2

[CO-OP]
Members
1,754 posts
26,084 battles

If smoke was added to her she would be good. Taking her reload down to 10s would make her good, doing both would make her worth $17.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,194 posts
12,101 battles
39 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Drop her base reload rate to 18 seconds and up her main battery range to 15.3km, and I think that she’d be pretty much on par with most of the other tier V cruisers out there. 

I think it depends on what should be changed and what the idea is. Given circumstances I wouldn't complain about a range buff, but I'd rather see it get the same 15 second reload as Trento if we focus on a gun based change with possibly no range increase. That and the adjustments SAP may get might be enough to fix it.

On the opposite side - another option would be to leave the guns alone, and instead give it 12 km torpedo range and somewhat better stealth. 

The ships not terrible, it just suffers from the same problem as Ark Royal and what seems to be a growing issue in Wargaming balance particularly for premiums - they are seemingly balanced purely against their own tier - and so can do well or even amazing vs their own tier or lower (all two pictures here so that, and my own time playing the ship as well seems to be the case) while vs higher tier, especially +2 - the ship becomes far less effective border-lining at times on being completely ineffective. It may have an extra pair of 203 mm guns, but I find Furataka and Exeter with their combinations of consumables, RoF, torpedoes, etc are vastly superior and can fight better when uptiered.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,929 posts
23,731 battles
6 hours ago, Toxic_Potato said:

280259696_Genova1.thumb.png.e4ad1259e8f987ed7f9385eebfb74f87.png

Please notice the top ship for both the winners and those who did not win...(Losers)  Yes my team lost.....

How is it that the TOP SHIP for both teams was the much maligned and spit upon Italian Tier V Cruiser Genova??????

Don't listen to the complainers you did just fine War Gaming 

So were both teams apart from both Genova's  for half the match :Smile_teethhappy:

[O_O]
Members
6,776 posts
16,221 battles

So what this thread is telling me, is that if you are patient, are a pretty good player, and the stars align, every now and then you will have success with Genova against Tier 4's.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles
3 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

So, do you think her performance will even out over time to put her in the middle of the pack of premium tier 5 cruisers? Or do you think she'l stay where she is now, with generally worse performance than all other premiums?

I think comparing premium to premium is more fair, since their stats can't be dragged down by people bringing ships with un-researched modules like hull, fire control, etc. into randoms.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,729 posts
15,778 battles
7 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

Did you know with enough thrust you can make a pig fly? 

I read somewhere that a naval aviator said of the F-111, "All the power in Christendom will not make that thing into a fighter."

44 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

So what this thread is telling me, is that if you are patient, are a pretty good player, and the stars align, every now and then you will have success with Genova against Tier 4's.

No, what it's saying is that the Genova is capable of a team-topping performance in the right hands.  Tweaking it so that just anyone can do it is what makes OP monsters that have to be withdrawn.

Genova puts out as many shells per minute as Furutaka C; the difference is that she does it less often, and in bigger batches.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

its been pretty consistent performer.  not bad, not  great.    I would guess 18sec reload would fix any of its ill, but also having the proposed pen angle change should help as well  The key though is to use  AP against  side.   most cruisers at t5/6 are very fragile as is  lot of BB and you can do lot of dmg with AP.    I think it may be bote that is tough to balance due to how fragile it is.  frankly, I would rather play genova vs  trento at t6.    and Monte is POS.

Edited by centarina

Members
615 posts
4,388 battles

I've been having some success firing my forward guns, then waiting to fire my rear guns, instead of all at once, unless there is a nice juicy target to take out, like a DD.  This seems to lessen the issue with the long reload, similar to something I do in the Graf Spee at times with it's long reload.   It keeps shells flowing and targets under pressure, removing the 20 second free period for them to line up to fire at me and get angled again.  As fragile as these Italian ships are you don't want to give them any safe time, as incoming fire is very dangerous for you HP.