You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sgt_Something_

USS Kitty Hawk; End of an Era

17 comments in this topic

Members
78 posts
1,292 battles

USS Kitty Hawk entered service in April 29, 1961. USS Kitty Hawk(CV-63) retired in 2007 after the USS George Washington (CVN-73) took her place in Japan. She was supposed to be retired in 2008 but the Washington had a fire on the way so she had another year of active service. Here are some facts about the carrier:

-Near the end of her life, her escalators stop working so it servers as a long stair case. Those pilot's legs will never skip leg day.

-John F. Kennedy spent a night in the ship.

-The ship has four elevators but the first one is rogue to accommodate the enlarge jet blast deflectors that were required for the F-14

- Kitty Hawk was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation for exceptionally meritorious service from 26 November 1965 to 14 May 1966

-Kitty Hawk was a cameo in the movie, The Finial Countdown.

-On March 21, 1984, Kitty Hawk collides into a Soviet Sub.

-Best known nickname is the [edited] Kitty due to old pipes, frequent break downs, many paint coats, hard to clean, and expensive to run as sailors described her during Operation Enduring freedom

-20 deployments

-Race riot in 1972

-She is the seco....third longest serving ship after USS Blue Ridge(LLC-19)

CV-63's specifications:

5,624 officers and enlisted | 61,351 tones | Length: 1,068.9 feet (325.80 meters)  | Beam: 284 feet (86.56 meters) | Flank Speed: 33 Knots

image.png.4ed5d940da06a2d780d85e0913f99103.png

Edited by Sgt_Something_
  • Cool 1

Members
78 posts
1,292 battles

Please note that this is not a complete history of the Kitty Hawk, just some facts. As of 2017, she was stricken from inactive service to be scraped.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,582 posts
4,750 battles

Ah, the good ol' S***** Kitty.  Such memories.  Did get to work on her on a couple of occasions.... 

She also had a loss of power off Malaysia that resulted in having to divert about 15 or so planes to airfields in neighboring countries.  It was a minor black mark against her.  Captain Kelly on the Enterprise gave the watch team (I was load dispatcher at on that one), an attaboy for a similar loss of power but we restored ours in under 30 minutes and landed all 22 planes up transiting the Molucca Straight unlike the Kitty Hawk.  IIRC Commander Baugh was the EOOW on that one and all he told me to do was "Put the electric plant back the way it was..." and left it to me to get it back up while dealing with the loss of two screws and the rest of the situation.

Rickover may have been the most world-class anal retentive naval engineer in history but he trained his nukes better than any others in any navy to do their jobs.

• Cool 3

Members
78 posts
1,292 battles

During the end, the Japanese citizens didn’t trust the George Washington because of its nuclear reactors, they wanted the Kitty Hawk to stay. The Navy stressed that it’s fine since nuclear subs are always in and out of the port.

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,582 posts
4,750 battles
On 11/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, Sgt_Something_ said:

During the end, the Japanese citizens didn’t trust the George Washington because of its nuclear reactors, they wanted the Kitty Hawk to stay. The Navy stressed that it’s fine since nuclear subs are always in and out of the port.

Enterprise had also visited Japan in 1982.  I was aboard then.  The radical Left in Japan came out in strength to protest (think noisy parade).  I have lots of photos of all that.  That was the first time a nuclear surface ship had visited Japan.

• Cool 2

Members
78 posts
1,292 battles
2 minutes ago, Murotsu said:

Enterprise had also visited Japan in 1982.  I was aboard then.  The radical Left in Japan came out in strength to protest (think noisy parade).  I have lots of photos of all that.  That was the first time a nuclear surface ship had visited Japan.

I hope it was a peaceful protest. Thank you for the stories.

Edited by Sgt_Something_

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,582 posts
4,750 battles
Just now, Sgt_Something_ said:

I hope it was a peaceful protest

It was like a noisy parade.  There were Japanese riot police everywhere.  I don't know where they found guys like six feet tall, but they had them.  I watched one block of these riot police "arrest" somebody.  The guy in charge was talking on a portable radio.  He raised a baton shouted something and this phalanx of riot police raised their shields and marched at a trot backwards in formation up a side street about a short block from the protest marching down a six lane road.

The guy continued talking on his radio to somebody then he raised the baton again and the phalanx came down the street.  As it reached the protesters, long sticks came out and the cops buzz-sawed their way to the person they wanted.  He disappeared into the phalanx and it backed out of the protesters in formation.  There were more cops shouting at the protesters, some now lying injured on the ground.  Other protesters had to pick those guys up and take them with them.  

I took some photos of the whole thing.  Have them somewhere.

Most other Japanese were quite friendly and nice to us.  Got pictures of that too.

• Cool 2

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,582 posts
4,750 battles

The best part of that port visit (we were in Sasabo) was me and my buddy, a Reactor lab tech (I was a nuke electrician), went to this little sushi restaurant.  We didn't speak Japanese, they didn't speak English.  But we figured out the owner's daughter lived in Dallas and talked baseball with three guys that worked for the city of Sasabo.  There were other memorable moments.  I have a photo of the owner, his wife and baby somewhere too.  We had to be in uniform so we were in our dress blues (crackerjacks).

We sat there all night on two nights and paid like $20 each (this was 1982) as food kept appearing in front of us and we drank sake and soju that almost magically refilled itself.  The whole restaurant held maybe 12 to 15 people at most.  It was quite memorable.

Being qualified as a boat engineer I could usually bypass the liberty lines to go ashore....

• Cool 1

[AKO]
Members
202 posts
1,451 battles
On 11/5/2019 at 9:07 PM, Murotsu said:

and all he told me to do was "Put the electric plant back the way it was..." and left it to me to get it back up while dealing with the loss of two screws and the rest of the situation.

...and that's how it's supposed to be. Stay out of the way, and let the LD do his thing. Got a Bravo Zulu once from the CO for hanging up on him when he called Central on the J-dial during a DIW when I was trying to get power back.

Plus, I'm guessing if the "Prise was down TWO plants, y'all were already having a REALLY bad day. 

Members
215 posts
7,381 battles

I really wish Canada purchased the Kitty Hawk and Constellation. Just purchase more F-18's since Canada uses F-18s anyways for its Air Force. Maybe update some A-6's to use as bomber/strike aircraft. Would give Canada more NATO punch, and be very effective at peacekeeping worldwide. 

Members
78 posts
1,292 battles
On 12/21/2019 at 1:16 PM, CorvetteKaptain67 said:

I really wish Canada purchased the Kitty Hawk and Constellation. Just purchase more F-18's since Canada uses F-18s anyways for its Air Force. Maybe update some A-6's to use as bomber/strike aircraft. Would give Canada more NATO punch, and be very effective at peacekeeping worldwide.  

I think it would be cheaper to make their own. The Kitty Hawk alone was a nightmare to maintain.

• Cool 1

Members
215 posts
7,381 battles
23 hours ago, Sgt_Something_ said:

I think it would be cheaper to make their own. The Kitty Hawk alone was a nightmare to maintain.

More than a Nimitz class carrier? 

Members
215 posts
7,381 battles
4 hours ago, Sgt_Something_ said:

The CVNs (nuclear-powered carriers) cost 58% more to maintain than conventional powered one it says from the text

Google'd it. :)

[AKO]
Members
202 posts
1,451 battles
On 12/28/2019 at 12:45 PM, CorvetteKaptain67 said:

More than a Nimitz class carrier? 

You're forgetting that there are still the entire class of Nimitz-class CVN's in service, which means that spare parts aren't nearly as hard to come by as they are for a one-off ship. Also, as a warship ages, she tends to break down more and more frequently, and require longer and longer overhauls - this was a huge issue with Kitty Hawk her last several years in service, as well as Enterprise, and affected their abilities to get underway on time more than a few times. 

The reason the Nimitz-class carriers are more expensive is because of the additional material and personnel costs that are incurred due to their nuclear propulsion plants. If they were conventionally-powered, ton for ton, they'd be cheaper than the Kitty Hawk. 

• Cool 1