You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rabbitt81

Can we please get an official explanation on why this game STILL has no tutorial

57 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
15,767 battles

World of Tanks has had a tutorial forever and yet this game, which is arguably much harder to learn, doesn't have any way to teach new players the basics. There are only links that direct you to watch outdated videos.

When I started playing this game and quickly realized that I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, I had to watch youtube videos just to get an idea on what a DD is used for and things like that.

How many new players get fed up and quit because they don't want to be bothered to do all that? I'm sure it's more than a few.

This game needs a tutorial campaign with missions such as: launch torpedoes, dodge torpedoes, gunnery aiming, using consumables, etc.

World of Tanks has a tutorial, Thunder of War has a tutorial, there is no reason that this game in 2019  is still using links to videos to teach players how to play this game.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I am a bit disheartened that a number of replies are dismissive of a tutorial being necessary for new players. Granted, if you start up a re-roll account, you wouldn't want a tutorial in your way so that could be one reason why some of the replies are against that. Other reasons such as it would take away from the devs time are outright laughable. I don't think a World of Tanks type of tutorial would take that long to do. Have the clowns that designed and balanced the Smolensk do it as punishment. 

There are many threads going on and on about how awful player skill is currently. A tutorial would help improve player experience much more than hey watch these videos or go to youtube - both options requiring players to do work before they can enjoy playing a game. These options come across as uncaring and lazy. 

This game is one of the harder games to learn for a reason. Shouldn't we strive to make it easier to learn?

I think so. 

Edited by Rabbitt81
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
490 posts
5,379 battles

I thought "The Mighty Jingles" was the Tutorial.

• Funny 1

[NSEW]
Members
2,096 posts
11,302 battles
3 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

Don't be false advertising now...

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,878 battles

I can't really argue with his point.  It probably took me over 1000 games to really start to understand what I was doing.  Many new players won't have the patience to get through a learning curve that steep.

• Cool 3

[MEIST]
Members
1,505 posts
5,746 battles
40 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

How many new players get fed up and quit because they don't want to be bothered to do all that? I'm sure it's more than a few.

Honestly, if they cannot be bothered watching some videos, I doubt they will want to do a lengthy tutorial.

• Cool 1

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles

WoWs Tutorial:

How to move:
asasdas.jpg.74404467b9c053e2c520cb0f73f1eeb9.jpg

How to dodge:

0BuPkAg.gif.a7ad56385469bfb31f9712d68f239dd7.gif

How to kill:

sdfsdf.jpg.1b8776f0b4883512450311814200f5c9.jpg3434322.jpg.2a0085041e307a76d6a0febb584119fd.jpg

How to drive:

3454354.jpg.99341f1c6bae8d87aad60ba73af0dae7.jpg

How to play as a team:

1414721596_hardatwork.gif.68c88c16c17af578b82c7ac009cc86b7.gif

How the map border works:

DJ4or.gif.87a676bd330dd5266c52153f61c54b97.gif

How to win gracefully:

VKUds9c.gif.8e53b594c506895c61c7c745928d6d38.gif

TL:DR

Dasha.jpg.5dc241e4de04037e7e4a645b7cbc4340.thumb.jpg.2a789e44b4878e50779a9787e933ea36.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 11

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,252 posts
12,260 battles
55 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

This game needs a tutorial campaign with missions such as: launch torpedoes, dodge torpedoes, gunnery aiming, using consumables, etc.

I can sympathize with you. however, it only takes a few minutes to envision what to tutorial would contain, to realize the monumental task that will probably be as useful as a car manual. this game is easy to grasp and challenging to master. in a way, its like Chess. the rules of chess come with every set however, not everyone who bought the set takes the time to read the "tutorial", and reading it doesn't mean you become a grand master. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
15,767 battles
15 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

Honestly, if they cannot be bothered watching some videos, I doubt they will want to do a lengthy tutorial.

I like this talking point.

So World of Tanks should be a ghost town by now due to that game having a tutorial.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,436 posts
20,580 battles

"If only this game had a tutorial, it would have way more players and they'd be way smarter." :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,781 posts
16,882 battles

It used to have tutorials for the different ship classes, but I haven't checked in awhile to see if they are still there. There were a lot of changes that came (specifically the USN cruiser split) and they weren't updated so I asked in the forum if they were going to be updated. I was told that due to the many changes that was happening it was not as high of a priority. I suppose they finally took them down. The Wiki page offers suggestions for each individual ship and a overview of how they play and how they compare to their predecessor and successor ships. The Wiki page also has suggestions for captain's skills with a handy diagram. 

In addition you can type in just about any ship in the game on YouTube and there are different streamers who will walk you through a game with commentary on how they play with their strengths and weaknesses.  Usually there will be someone showcasing a extremely good game in one with very high damage, base XP, and coins paid out.

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts

It has no tutorial because effort spent creating such a player aid is effort not spent putting out the next premium ship. WG does not care if you play the game well, only that you spend money.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[MR-1]
Members
172 posts
12,224 battles
47 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

World of Tanks has had a tutorial forever and yet this game, which is arguably much harder to learn, doesn't have any way to teach new players the basics. There are only links that direct you to watch outdated videos.

When I started playing this game and quickly realized that I had absolutely no clue what I was doing, I had to watch youtube videos just to get an idea on what a DD is used for and things like that.

World of Tanks has a tutorial, Thunder of War has a tutorial, there is no reason that this game in 2019  is still using links to videos to teach players how to play this game.

Let me start of I am not employed by Wargaming and these are my own personal spin on things. I am relatively new player. (August 3, 2019).  I have also played Wot and WoP by Wargaming. The very argument that us use for needing a tutorial would be my argument  as to why I believe there isn't one. Let's take Wot since it is a game we have both played. (admittedly I am not good in that game) with  minor differences for strength of armor, guns and speed which define their role in combat, a tank is a tank. WoWS, each class ( DD,BB,CV and Cruisers) is uniquely different. Then each country with ships represented is different from each other. so an all encompassing tutorial would take hours to complete and just as many new players would lose interest and leave. Honestly I have never watched the training videos. I opened the settings window and went to controls to see what did what.  Within the first three battles I discovered friendly fire and team kill and so forth. I do agree that an optional basic training campaign would be beneficial for every new ship you get, or atleast training missions for that ship because as you move up the tiers even in the same line (country,class), the game play can drastically change. In my own personal experience with the game, I have discovered CoOp battles will teach you how the ship handles, Random battles will teach you how to play the game from a strategy standpoint. Also finding a good clan is paramount. I have learned more from my clanmates and other players than any tutorial or training video can ever hope to accomplish. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,385 posts
4,193 battles
34 minutes ago, DarkStormy said:

I had a terrifying picture of everyone playing the game like Jingles. That would be....interesting. I follow a lot of Youtubers, but he's the only one where I watch every single one of his videos. And he's solid for a beginners understanding of the game, but anything more detailed he's going to get it wrong. He knows this, and admits, and it's funny. But just today he was ragging on a Buffalo player for not using hydro, when the obvious answer is that the Buffalo was carrying DF. So while he's hilarious, he is not the one for a tutorial. Unless he was the narrator with a script, I would be down for that.

What WG needs to do is get a few of their CCs together, get them to basically come up with a script for what people need to learn. Then write a mission (guided) that people go through to learn the various components of the gameplay. Aiming: Shoot here, see shells go behind, aim ahead, see shells hit. Driving. Drive parallel to the BB. Oops, you're dead. OK, try it again with angling, they bounced. Concealment. You got within 7km, that's his detection radius. Now he went behind an island, that break line of sight. Now you're withing 6km, that's your detection radius. Now back out, you go dark. OK, now shoot, you're spotted because gun bloom. Things like that, go through HE, AP, angling, caps, points, consumables, torpedoes, planes, AA, the myriad of things that go into the game. Show the player each one, and then run them through examples. Probably a good idea to run them through the port, commander systems, flags, camo, XP, coal, credits, signals, the ugly details. Now obviously no one wants to sit through a couple hour tutorial. So break it up. Day 1, you get the basics. Reach each account level and you get the tutorial for how you use what you unlocked. Play a torpedo ship for the first time? Get the torpedo tutorial (these are the green ships, if you can see any in front of you, don't launch torps). CVs for the first time? CV tutorials. First Random? Concealment. T3? Here's how consumables work. And don't let people play until they complete the tutorial. Yeah, you might discourage a few people, but make them individually short, and reward people for doing them (doubloons, premium time, flags, etc). I don't think most people would mind spending 10-20 minutes learning a mechanic(s) if it was a decent tutorial and they got some good rewards out of it. And if you can't be bothered to learn the basic mechanics, you're probably not going to be a steady player anyway. And have them always available (not for rewards, just to repeat) so people can go back and review if they want.

Now, why hasn't WG done that? Well, that's a big paragraph up there, would take significant effort to make it a tutorial. And time is money. They don't really care if people get nuked because they're clueless. Just encourages them to buy a premium ship - Cha-ching! Besides, they have people (Youtubers, the forums) to answer dumb beginner questions for free. So it's simply not cost effective for them to do it. Would it reduce beginner frustration, and maybe keep more steady long term players? Yes. But WG has clearly showed they're not concerned over much with player retention. It makes more money to constantly be cycling through players who are new, buy a couple high tier premiums, and then leave after a while. It explains the rash high tier premiums. WG can make a quick buck, and who cares if the player has no idea how to use their shiny T9, the next OP premium of the month will simply attract a new set of players. Now I don't know this for sure, but this theory sure explains a lot of recent actions. I think WG has realized it's cheaper to attract new players who buy the newest most powerful ship and then get bored in a few months, than to keep producing quality content that keeps players engaged over a long period of time. Hence the trashy line ships, and the 2 or 3 an update OP high tier premiums. Guess which one makes more money? Is it a long term solution? No. for the same effort they put into a line, they get 5 high tier premiums they sell for $120 each. I'm guessing the higher ups like the latter option better.

So the answer to why there's no tutorial is simple, it doesn't make money.

• Cool 1

Members
279 posts
1,259 battles

Um... I'm confused.... I seem to remember some videos that show you how to play. Also by default your controls are on your screen and they have this nifty Co-Op play option that lets you practice on bots that dont evade very well. 

I have played a decent bit of games in my day and this game is not one I would give a huge learning curve to. Try Eve online and feel real learning curve pain.

[BOATC]
Members
385 posts
11,932 battles

I remember there being a tutorial scenario when I first started in the closed beta, is that no longer a thing?

• Cool 1

Members
279 posts
1,259 battles
50 minutes ago, Cpt_RickSchwifty said:

WoWs Tutorial:

How to move:
asasdas.jpg.74404467b9c053e2c520cb0f73f1eeb9.jpg

How to dodge:

0BuPkAg.gif.a7ad56385469bfb31f9712d68f239dd7.gif

How to kill:

sdfsdf.jpg.1b8776f0b4883512450311814200f5c9.jpg3434322.jpg.2a0085041e307a76d6a0febb584119fd.jpg

How to drive:

3454354.jpg.99341f1c6bae8d87aad60ba73af0dae7.jpg

How to play as a team:

1414721596_hardatwork.gif.68c88c16c17af578b82c7ac009cc86b7.gif

How the map border works:

DJ4or.gif.87a676bd330dd5266c52153f61c54b97.gif

How to win gracefully:

VKUds9c.gif.8e53b594c506895c61c7c745928d6d38.gif

There- WoWs now has a worthy tutorial.

Yes! WG should use this, for a fee of course, thats some nice work.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,781 posts
4,733 battles
35 minutes ago, wdarkk said:

I remember there being a tutorial scenario when I first started in the closed beta, is that no longer a thing?

Yes, it's still there.  Fun little thing.  But you'll never see it above a certain Account Level.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,526 posts
15,632 battles
2 hours ago, DarkStormy said:

He is, for beginners. The rest is on YOU, the player, to take steps to improve yourself.

This game has too many subtle twists for any sort of tutorial, and different playstyles make any such thing nonsensical. You need to know, as in chess, how your pieces move and capture, and the conditions for victory. Beyond that, the creator of the game has no responsibility (especially after the massive buff the Queen got a fair while ago).

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
2 hours ago, Rabbitt81 said:

You realize that car manufacturers don't give personalized instruction on how to drive their cars, right?

Aside from driving instructors at their driving tests, and reading through a manual, most people learn how to drive by doing.  Maybe a parent or older sibling showing them how.

Perhaps that is the first barrier?  If you cannot figure out how to play after a bunch of games in coop, perhaps the game isn't for you?

It would be nice, at least, if WG would put out fresh videos on the basics.  But if you won't take the time to watch a video, you're not going to take the time to play a tutorial.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,577 posts
9,216 battles
1 hour ago, jager_geist said:

I dunno, when you put a mission-style tutorial in the game, you're still playing the game while learning.

I honestly can't be bothered to learn a game in a non-interactive fashion.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,169 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This game has too many subtle twists for any sort of tutorial, and different playstyles make any such thing nonsensical. You need to know, as in chess, how your pieces move and capture, and the conditions for victory. Beyond that, the creator of the game has no responsibility (especially after the massive buff the Queen got a fair while ago).

Queen OP, buff Kings.