You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Reconsidering the re-grind, is Colbert really worth the time?

17 comments in this topic

Members
3,097 posts
12,298 battles

I am 30% done toward two T10s I reset (30% on each of the T9s).  I am not enjoying the process, to put it lightly.  If I want Colbert, I am going to have to regrind 1 more T10, which is something I would very much like to avoid at this point.  As far as high tier CLs I already have Worcester and Smolensk in my port.  At this point I can dump some of the research points into free XP, and with some of my own free XP get back the two T10s I reset and call it a day with zero grind.  The question is - that Colbert, is it really worth all the wasted time?

Edited by Ramsalot

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles

Maybe it would be less painful to just regrind the one bonus line each season. That's what I plan to do once I get my fifth line completed to unlock the Bureau. Just do one line per season, and let the points build up as they may, like I do with coal now.

• Cool 2

[KSC]
Members
784 posts
10,876 battles

While some people genuinely love the Colbert, others are remarkably underwhelmed.

Personal recommendation?  It sucks to feel "done" with a game.  Part of the fun is the journey, and the Research Bureau allows you to experience the journey again.  The stuff you get for doing it is just bonus loot.

• Cool 1

Members
3,097 posts
12,298 battles
4 minutes ago, wjp120 said:

Maybe it would be less painful to just regrind the one bonus line each season. That's what I plan to do once I get my fifth line completed to unlock the Bureau. Just do one line per season, and let the points build up as they may, like I do with coal now.

Except accumulating Coal does not keep you from playing ships that you enjoy playing.  I just happen to enjoy certain premium ships and selected T10 ships that I can’t play during tech tree branch grind.

Members
1,660 posts

I have the Colbert and not the Smolensk and its never left port.  Not sure why I bothered really. I don't particularly enjoy Tier X battles.  It is what has stopped me from getting the Smolensk.

You're the only one that can decide if it's worth it or not.  For me, I'd say no.

Members
3,097 posts
12,298 battles
2 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Research Bureau allows you to experience the journey again.

Truthfully, the journey sucks.  Otherwise I would not have bothered creating this thread, and instead enjoyed the wonders of the journey.

[KSC]
Members
784 posts
10,876 battles
Just now, Ramsalot said:

Truthfully, the journey sucks.  Otherwise I would not have bothered creating this thread, and instead enjoyed the wonders of the journey.

Then you've answered your question.  The R.B. is literally made for people that have run out of grind and are stuck in the end-game.  If a Tier 10 Bayard with a Heal doesn't light your fire, then not much else to consider.

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,289 battles

I did 3 regrinds without using FXP, got fed up after realizing I needed to do it 3 more times to get a ship.  Sold all the RB tokens for FXP and I’m grinding out the ships I don’t have yet.  Not worth the ridiculous grind when I have other free ships to get.  Doubt I’ll participate again.

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

As much as I'd like to say it's a sidegrade to Kleber, it's not really. Kleber is borderline OP and does many things better than the Colbert such as using torpedoes from stealth and hunting DDs. Colbert cannot penetrate 27mm with IFHE which means it needs a dedicated captain and it's weaker vs cruisers. If it did have 139mm guns I would highly recommend this ship, but it doesn't. it's still very fun but it's not a Kleber, or a Bayard. Nevermind, forgot about the rounding changes that 127mm can pen 27mm. However, Bayard still has 152mm guns with the same range and using its reload booster almost the same reload speed. Bayard is the better ship if you want a fast French light cruiser.

Edited by NeoRussia
rounding changes

[WOLF3]
Members
28,149 posts
24,510 battles

Having Smolensk kind of removes the pressing need for Colbert.  You want your DD Gunz x16?  No need to slit your wrists with the Research Bureau and just go get Smolensk.

25 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

F--k the journey.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Members
268 posts
13,103 battles
2 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Except accumulating Coal does not keep you from playing ships that you enjoy playing.  I just happen to enjoy certain premium ships and selected T10 ships that I can’t play during tech tree branch grind.

Well, I guess it depends on how you feel about each line. I finally have a reason to work on the Pan-Asian line now. I was really enjoying leveling it up, but dropped it when the YY was nerfed. Now I intend to use that line as my primary RB grinding line.

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
345 posts
24,537 battles

You fellas have it backwards. I was playing Kiev and Ognevoi before RB was introduced. Now I play them same as before and get these extra points. That is when RB works and makes sense, otherwise don't bother.

Of course, I may get bored so don't really have to play them every single day. It is not a race.

Don't know how many times this needs to be said: NOT FOR EVERYONE.

[INTEL]
Members
3,280 posts
17,921 battles
10 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

I am 30% done toward two T10s I reset (30% on each of the T9s).  I am not enjoying the process, to put it lightly.  If I want Colbert, I am going to have to regrind 1 more T10, which is something I would very much like to avoid at this point.  As far as high tier CLs I already have Worcester and Smolensk in my port.  At this point I can dump some of the research points into free XP, and with some of my own free XP get back the two T10s I reset and call it a day with zero grind.  The question is - that Colbert, is it really worth all the wasted time?

How much do you like Co-Op?  Because in Co-Op it's hilarious fun.

In Randoms, it's a lot of intense work to be useful and stay alive.  If you want the enemy to ignore your spotted DD, this is your ship.  Just engage the Rainbow and watch your Priority Target count max out. :Smile_trollface:

Edited by ClassicLib

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,440 posts
20,595 battles

Whether something's worth the time always depends on what else you'd be doing with that time otherwise. If you have something fun and valuable you could be doing, then no, Research Bureau's not where it's at. If you own everything and you'd just be bored otherwise, then RB can be the most interesting thing in the room.

As for Colbert specifically, you get it if you want to play one of the highest-risk/reward ships in the game as a hilarious novelty. If not, then don't get it. It's definitely not a meta-altering powerhouse of a ship.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,413 posts
14,100 battles
10 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

...is it really worth all the wasted time?

Well, if you have predetermined the time is wasted, then you have your answer.

Why waste the other 70% of the time?

[RCNW3]
Members
1,942 posts
20,025 battles

It is a long journey, not really sure it is worth it for Ohio or Colbert, only on my second regrind, but this time picked a line I enjoy playing and had most of the tech tree ships for (and dedicated captains).  Especially look at a line that you enjoyed playing tiers 7/8/9, since really all the time is spent there.  I also am only regrinding one line at a time,  and only doing the ship to the first win (for daily bonus) this may take longer but does not feel like too much work.