You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

Why I don't break truces (though you might)

45 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

This thread isn't about not shooting human players. It's about choosing to backstab (or not).

You don't make a truce, you shoot human reds all you want.

You make a truce, you keep it. Otherwise... (read below)

I've thought about this for a while, though I initially heavily leaned on the "Never break a truce." side. With more thought, I've realized that's probably not the smartest decision according to game theory.

But I still haven't broken a truce. And I won't. (You are more than free to.) Here's why:

When you make a truce, you promise something. And when you break it, you break that promise. What this means is: You lied when you made that truce.

Do you feel comfortable lying? What about habitually lying? Is lying to strangers more OK? What reward would entice you enough to lie over and over? To take advantage of others? To laugh about it afterwards?

Let's say a knight (someone who is always truthful) says he will buy you four TX Infernal camouflages if you tell a stranger you are wearing a red sweater underneath your jacket (you are wearing a blue sweater).

Would you tell a stranger that? It's not like the stranger will lose anything.

Now think about in-game. The most truce-breaking accomplishes is more filth (presumably for the Infernal permacamos and special signals), xp, and credits.

Are you willing to lie for one TX Infernal camouflage? TwoThree? Lie periodically over the course of many rounds? To the active disadvantage of other human beings? When will you ever stop?

If you are willing to lie for some virtual, temporary in-game goods (yes, the game will reach its end-of-life one day), do you have a bottom line in real-life? Think about it.

shot-19_10.30_23_19.45-0842.thumb.jpg.96b5152063032f73d7a1e0a0c283494d.jpg

@Joel5911 @Chris_Mahaffey Kudos to both of you.

Edited by henrychenhenry
  • Cool 11

Members
229 posts
904 battles

I've only broken one of these truces before, and that was because my teammate did it first and I was shot at as a result. 

Now that I think about it, I broke truce in my first Twilight Battle as well, but that was because I had no idea that trucing would make it easier for everyone. Someone said 'truce' and I thought "Heck no, I'm here to collect filth and kill ships, not mollycoddle." I regretted it.

• Cool 1

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
5 minutes ago, logane0616 said:

I've only broken one of these truces before, and that was because my teammate did it first and I was shot at as a result. 

Now that I think about it, I broke truce in my first Twilight Battle as well, but that was because I had no idea that trucing would make it easier for everyone. Someone said 'truce' and I thought "Heck no, I'm here to collect filth and kill ships, not mollycoddle." I regretted it.

It's nice to hear about your experiences. Thanks for sharing! And I don't blame you. (Won't criticize anyone for breaking truces, they are free to do as they wish.)

Members
1,374 posts

Top Ten Reasons Why I Toxic Potato Broke the Truce.

10. I never agreed to a Truce. You got an agreement from a Bot.

9. 160 knot torpedoes need targets

8. only pansy trader biotches agree to Truces

7. English is my second language. In my primary language “Truce” translates to a part of the female anatomy. 

6. You didn’t say “Bacon” 

5. World of WARSHIPS not World of temporary peace treaties.

4. Flamu never has made a video about Truces.

3. CV Rework has resulted in a nerf to the symbiotic refuge or the reformed issue noted in paragraph 3.12 section n which clearly shows prop jockeys are psycho losers that belong in a nut house that is tearing this game to pieces while rewarding camping BBs.....

2. No Bacon was offered for me to be part of a Truce. 

and the number one reason why I Toxic Potato broke the Truce...,,

My name is Toxic Potato not Truce Potato.

• Boring 6

Members
1,674 posts
13,341 battles
1 minute ago, Toxic_Potato said:

7. English is my second language. In my primary language “Truce” translates to a part of the female anatomy. 

3. CV Rework has resulted in a nerf to the symbiotic refuge or the reformed issue noted in paragraph 3.12 section n which clearly shows prop jockeys are psycho losers that belong in a nut house that is tearing this game to pieces while rewarding camping BBs.....

Spoke like someone who not get all camo from event yet.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

Last match a team was calling out for a truce at the beginning. No sooner than they spotted my ship, loaded with Filth, alone did they start shooting at me. Fortunately, I was in the Crocosaur and their attack did little damage. Soon my team showed up and we wiped then out and took all their Filth. The other team in the meantime went and took out Rasputin and didn't fire on us even at the portal.

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
5 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Thanks for sharing your views.

10. If you don't make a truce, there is no truce to break.

39 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

This thread isn't about not shooting human players. It's about backstabbing (or not).

9. Targets include myriad bots.

8. What can I say? Your views are yours.

7. No comment.

6. Has nothing to do with topic at hand.

5. If you are willing to lie for temporary in-game pixels, what are you willing to do in real-life?

4. What does Flamu have to do with this? Irrelevant comment.

3. Again, ^

2. Again, ^

1. Again, ^

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
6 minutes ago, LadyAnesjka said:

Spoke like someone who not get all camo from event yet.

100% agreed.

2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Last match a team was calling out for a truce at the beginning. No sooner than they spotted my ship, loaded with Filth, alone did they start shooting at me. Fortunately, I was in the Crocosaur and their attack did little damage. Soon my team showed up and we wiped then out and took all their Filth. The other team in the meantime went and took out Rasputin and didn't fire on us even at the portal.

People who break truces will always exist. But consider what your actions in-game reflect on you as a human being in real life.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts
37 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

People who break truces will always exist. But consider what your actions in-game reflect on you as a human being in real life.

Damn right. I really don't like what their rotten behaviour in WoWS says about the man/woman behind the computer. It just reminds me of this.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,983 battles

What rocket scientist thought up truces in a game about war? This is just beyond stupid.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,926 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

Thanks for sharing your views.

10. If you don't make a truce, there is no truce to break.

5. If you are willing to lie for temporary in-game pixels, what are you willing to do in real-life?

Wrong target...if he didn't make a truce he didn't lie & the slight on his character is unjustified...make sure you quote him in the apology so he receives it.

Edit: On the reread I realized he titled the top 10 list "why I broke the truce" so the contradiction is on him...my apologies to you.

(Great job on the event tallies btw...I haven't been able to play since the marauder event but your tally allowed participants to know where we were at in regards to getting our max prizes & that was really cool of you to do that).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
20 minutes ago, Wolcott said:

Damn right. I really don't like what their rotten behaviour in WoWS says about the man/woman behind the computer. It just reminds me of this.

Thanks for sharing!

5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

What rocket scientist thought up truces in a game about war? This is just beyond stupid.

Yep, truces in a game about war..... Hmm....

You are free to keep your opinions. Not trying to convince anyone to truce/not truce.

Members
1,374 posts

I broke the Truce....and I enjoyed it.....

Next time we could let a team killer get that filth as well!

Great idea I know....

(insert very evil laughing here)

Edited by Toxic_Potato
  • Boring 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,416 posts
4,198 battles

If I say truce then I’m not going to break it because that’s underhanded. If you break I’ll shoot back, and not going to get mad if you do, it’s a game. Nor do I completely trust you in a truce. 

I also have no problem fighting you if no truce was mentioned. And no problem teaming up. Depends on the situation, which one works best for the most filth. Not saying one is better than the other, both strategies can work, depends on the game and players.But if I agree to a truce, I’m not going to break a truce that I agreed to. I will however stay angled and keep my guns on you. Trust but verify, right?

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts
41 minutes ago, Umikami said:

More like a grindfest than a game about war.

• Cool 1

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,793 posts
5,911 battles

Truces are for people that need help killing Rasputin and it's minions.

For everyone else, there's 12 barrels of Crocasour.

[_RNG_]
Beta Testers
126 posts
20,107 battles

I never call a truce or agree to one but will only shoot at players if they shoot at me. I'm also aware that some are ignorant about secondary's so I will always ask them to turn off and if they don't will then kill them.

At the beginning of the match I always call clockwise and play nice at the gate. most times it works, occasionally it doesn't.

RR

• Cool 1

Members
1,374 posts
7 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Wrong target...if he didn't make a truce he didn't lie & the slight on his character is unjustified...make sure you quote him in the apology so he receives it.

Oh no the slight on my character is justified I am a Destroyer Main.  If it existed a member of the DD Mafia.   I encouraged and lobbied in multiple languages and servers for CV Rework. 

I spend my days delivering torpedoes from concealment. Shooting and disappearing. All while listening to ol school euro rap.....

I am a Main Made Man.....nothin good about me. 

• Boring 2

[SPTR]
Members
27,186 posts
16,907 battles

I think I only broken truce a few times just to defend myself or because my teammates broken it before hand and I got caught up in it.

What gets to me the most is players in either a Maverick or Rust Nightfall and they break truces by picking a fight on a player controlled Crocosaur or Fossil. Man what are they're thinking.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,983 battles
8 hours ago, Wolcott said:

More like a grindfest than a game about war.

You know, I'd love to be able to disagree with that …. and I can't! Touche'!

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles

Where are all these "truce backstabbers" you people seem so obssesed about? I have player hundreds of twiglight games, Im 2 creates away from being totaly done with all 3 lines. I have YET to encounter a SINGLE person who said "Truce" and then got close and started attacking or ambushing people.

I run into PvP in nearly every single match as Im a "never trucer" :cap_cool: see what I did there.... but I just don't say anything, if my other two team mates start getting all carebear happy with trucing I don't just haul off and start attacking other players, I at least warn my div if they call truce and I have no intention of doing that. 

Are you people assuming because 1 person in a random group says "truce' that they speak for their entire random team? That is your own mistake if so....just cause someone's CA says truce does not mean that mutanvosk is gunna be peaceful lol you should just assume every DD and BB is going to be hostile given the opportunity. Save yourselves some stress.

3454354.jpg

[36]
Members
453 posts
10,918 battles

I don’t break a truce simply because I was raised to believe that being honorable is more important than winning. In fact, my friends and I learned growing up that being honorable (ie. good) is the very reason you do win. Not true, of course, but this was the late 1950’s and 60’s, only 20 years removed from Pearl Harbor. The Japanese broke a truce, in effect, and look what happened to them. They were the bad guys, even worse than that, because they were sneaky and dishonest and the very idea of not looking a man in the eye when you hit him became anathema to an entire generation of Americans. It’s the reason John Wayne was so popular, for example, because he wasn’t going to sneak up on anyone. It wasn’t the American way. Being good was good enough, was a slogan I remember from grade school. We had duck and cover drills because we were convinced that the Russians were no better than the Japs and another Pearl Harbor was just around the corner, only this one would be nuclear.

Anyway, all that is overly dramatic and this is just a game, but we’re only the sum of our experience and for me, it’s just too deeply ingrained that breaking a truce is bad. So, I’ll probably get taken advantage of, but that’s okay ‘cause being good is good enough.

• Cool 6

[FERAL]
Members
91 posts
5,906 battles

Glad someone posted this topic.  I can't speak for everyone, but I would say we all the same collective goal: to collect filth for free stuff (mostly the free camos and coal).  It's a shame to survive the onslaught of DDs with Rasputin just to get met at the portal by truce breakers and scavengers.  This is a competitive game and we all play because competition is part of the lure, but I find it satisfying to sail to the portal and rush the bot DDs at the end with your red enemies along side.  I did not experience the truce concept PTS, but I'm glad it there as most of us benefit more by killing Rasputin and sailing to the portal together.  In fact, I put manual secondaries on my BBs just because of this truce concept.

Ultimately, us truce supporters just have to be ready to battle those who oppose the truce concept.  

Edited by JayRow2018
  • Cool 1