You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
InvisibleKONY

How to Improve

15 comments in this topic

[PROG]
Members
3 posts
7,007 battles

Hello all,

Filthy casual here looking to level up. After a disastrous few rounds in clan battles last night where I admittedly cost the team the game through poor play, I realize that I finally need to learn how to play "properly." Problem is I seem to have a lot of bad habits picked up from grinding randoms and I have trouble evaluating where I should be on a given map. Are there any resources out there for someone like me to brush up on what I *should* be doing in a match? Specifically clan battles; I can disappoint myself all day but I hate doing it to the team. Thanks!

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,444 posts
20,616 battles

Does your team have any particular plan or playbook? There's no absolute answer to what you should be doing -- it's based on your team's strategy, ship composition, and of course battlefield conditions.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
20 minutes ago, InvisibleKONY said:

Hello all,

Filthy casual here looking to level up. After a disastrous few rounds in clan battles last night where I admittedly cost the team the game through poor play, I realize that I finally need to learn how to play "properly." Problem is I seem to have a lot of bad habits picked up from grinding randoms and I have trouble evaluating where I should be on a given map. Are there any resources out there for someone like me to brush up on what I *should* be doing in a match? Specifically clan battles; I can disappoint myself all day but I hate doing it to the team. Thanks!

I'm not a Clan battles guy myself, but the fact that you admit your shortcomings and are open to learn will bode well for you in the future.  Hopefully a good player/clan can take you under their wing and help you out.

All the best out there, mate.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,678 posts
35,859 battles

A proper Clan would have a leader - or two - during battle telling you what to do, where to go. (I am assuming you already know how to aim, torp, and hit properly, and the type of ammo to use in a  given situation - if you do not have that part yet mastered, then you should not be in T10 Clan Battles just yet).

Depends also on what types you are good at. You should play those only in Clan battles.

To become better, play randoms in a Div (preferably with Discord) with someone a tad better than you that can give you pointers.

The toughest part to learn - I find - is proper positioning. This applies most to cruisers and BBs 

DDs are hard on their own but have the speed to reposition if on the wrong area. They differ a lot in play style between stealth torpers and gunboats. Try to get a mentor that is good at the types you are looking to improve on.

• Cool 1

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
760 posts
7,016 battles

I feel your concerns OP. Our clan has just a few ideas we try and sometimes goes badly. We talk about using the practice room but never do. That might be an option if your group is up for it? Competitive is all about working as a team and practice is probably key to success. I screw up a lot and sometimes do well. I think the above is what's missing in my play too.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,662 posts
12,125 battles
30 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Does your team have any particular plan or playbook? There's no absolute answer to what you should be doing -- it's based on your team's strategy, ship composition, and of course battlefield conditions.

Right, you could be doing what you need to be doing and the team lacking at delivering on their end...

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,662 posts
12,125 battles
42 minutes ago, InvisibleKONY said:

Hello all,

I don't remember the last clan battle I was in. Some nights we just clicked, others it was just complete garbage.  Hardiest was doing a plan and if it was the wrong call, sticking with the plan if it involved the whole team, complete push to one cap, ex.  We could have one ship chicken out and completely mess up the plan.

[FEM]
Members
2,073 posts
17,219 battles

Best thing you can do is find players who are equal or better in skill than you to play with and you will improve guaranteed. I reached a plateau in my old clan and one of the big reasons for asking to join o7 was that I wanted to surround myself with the best possible players so I can improve, and it paid off handsomely.

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles

Playing randoms is like a sheep dog hearding sheep on the farm. You have to type in chat where you need help or to tell people not to lemming train.

example: see a BB going all alone and you see on mini map 4 reds going his way. You hit the “get back” command and tell him in chat to turn around or you are going to die. Some listen some dont.

Edited by Legio_X_

Members
229 posts
904 battles

Positioning is a thing I've noticed I've had trouble with as well. Some games, I'll have a perfect spot and farm tons of damage for basically free, and other games I'll never get a single shot off. It's something I've had to work to overcome.

[NSEW]
Members
2,109 posts
11,338 battles

I'm not expert nor would I consider myself to be "competitive".   However, I will point out some things I've experienced so far.  Hopefully they will shed more light in the subject.

I don't think there is any template, to spring board off of.  However, below is what I would start off with.

Team composition

The clan will be using particular ships, for particular tactic.  Failing their initial plan, they will have a secondary option, or three.  

Tactic

Do you go for 50/50 with initial coverage/composition?  Do you go for heavy side, and a lighter side?  If so, can you collapse in time to shift to the weaker/lighter side upon contact?  Or able to push and force the OPFOR to react?

I found that, the team that do not get on the proactive mindset.  Will most likely become trapped by the OPFORs tactic, being stuck, flanked, and finally fixed.  I found that the proactive players are better suited versus the ones that are reactive.  My personal thought is, if you are reacting.  You are already on your heels, and not on the balls of your feet ready to move.  I suppose this is where the map awareness/situational awareness would come in.

Scoring/Points

Know when to take the cap for points, and know which ship (each ship type gives you different points)  kill is a priority.  When you're down on points, do you go for the cap that's been taken? Or do you focus fire and sink the ship which will give you points?  Many battles have been lost due to wrong calls.  

Threats/Weaknesses

Know which enemy ship is a threat/weakness as fast as possible.  You can usually get an idea, by looking at the minimap (once all ships have been "seen").  Then act according to the information given.  Do you push with what you got? Or flank? Or decoy? etc.

Be Bold/Not Yolo

Give the teammates  the benefit of the doubt.  Sometimes, the leaders will miss the situation.  Give the teammates the freedom to exercise their maximum potential on a given situation.  There is no point in telling a destroyer to shift from left flank down to right when that DD could've pushed and dealt direct or indirect attacks.  A leader that doesn't trust their teammates is of no use. 

The team is only strong as the weakest

This is especially true with limited coverage per player on the map.   If one or two crucial players are not forcing the OPFOR to react.  Their presence in battle is of no use at all.  Every ship must be doing something always.  Spotting, defending, attacking, using consumables, kiting,  firing, tracking targets, trading shots, reading the minimap, taking the initiative, etc.  A ship that just moves from afar is no good when that ship isn't taking any heat off your friendlies. i.e. Henry, Zao, etc.  Just like a USN cruiser doesn't know when to use the consumables, or knows when to back off or push.  

Shoot 'n Scoot

Fire and maneuver.  I'm sure you've heard of this before.  I see many players (even in Clan battles) that are not aware of this mantra.  They fire, and stay put.  Before they know it, a volley of shells takes good chunk of their HP.  Depending on the ship type, and the tactic used.  Being static is never a good idea.  

Communication 

I believe this is the most important aspect of any team oriented games.  Information should ideally be sent in a concise clear manner.  Think "CLAP": Clearly, Loudly, Accurately (As an order), with Pauses.  Leave any non tactical chat off the comms.  This is competitive, treat is as such (or when it's time to focus).  If you're dead, help others in comms but do not be taking up the space by clogging the information between active teammates.

As a receiver of the information given.  Anticipation of such request ideally would be ready to be acted upon by the receiver.  An ideal situation is the leader asks "John" to move to E4 left of island to help the destroyer.   "John" already anticipated it and started the move.  It's the situation like these that, brings a smile in ones mind.  

I wish your the clan the best of luck in the near future.

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,494 battles
26 minutes ago, logane0616 said:

Positioning is a thing I've noticed I've had trouble with as well. Some games, I'll have a perfect spot and farm tons of damage for basically free, and other games I'll never get a single shot off. It's something I've had to work to overcome.

You never know for sure where the enemy will show up, but on many maps they usually follow the same pattern. If in a BB or cruiser let the dd get out a ways and spot to determine where you will do the most good for your team. I have had more success not setting up until the enemy is spotted. I head for a cap with at least two spots in mind. One closer to me and one closer to the cap with escape routes in mind. If they show up early I take the closer one to get some cover. If its just the enemy dd and nothing else to threatening I go to further one while trying to sink dd.

Nothing worse than setting up in a great spot and no one comes to the party. Don't drive across the map from your spawn spot if on a flank, takes you out of the battle for to long unless you have guns with a lot of range. Don't go charging off alone. I usually go to the closest cap or the next to closest. The one closest to where the enemy spawns is usually a death trap unless you have lots of support. They will get there first and be all set up and waiting. Often easier to defend then flip a cap early on.

I always ask where to? at start, or make a suggestion like C and B first depending on map. Sometimes being patient and letting the game come to you pays off. 

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,259 posts
12,343 battles
2 hours ago, InvisibleKONY said:

brush up on what I *should* be doing in a match? Specifically clan battles;

as others have said, the specifics on what you should be doing in a CB - should have been outlined by the battle commander at the start of the battle. in addition, you have a personal responsibility to know your ship and equip it to best of your ability (capt points, flags, modules, consumables). know your ranges of radar, sonar, torps, take time to understand the ships at tier, strength and weaknesses, so that you know about the reds capabilities. and you got to know the basics, such as when to use HE or AP.  

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,803 posts
16,941 battles

Here is a quick piece of advice.

1) ask yourself what is your most favourite and successful ship class you play.

2) find the most OP ship of that tier and class that fits your playing style and make room for it. (this is like fantasy football, don't go for your favourite team. This is a game, just look for the best of your favourite class)

3) Find people you like divisioning with that you mesh good with. Voice coms help.

4) Just like getting into Carnegie Hall. Do your homework and practice practice practice.