You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
nickalaso123

What coal ships to buy?

16 comments in this topic

[SOSM]
Beta Testers
107 posts
4,463 battles

I'm in a current predicament where I can't decide on what T9 or T10 ship to purchase. I'm a BB mean so Georgia and Thunderer are being considered although Smolensk is equally as tempting since who doesn't want Russian Bias? For those who have purchased coal ships, what would you recommend and why? 

[ANK-A]
Members
1,320 posts
10,992 battles

I'll give you the obvious answer....

All 3 are good, and which one you will like the most will depend a lot on the types of ships and play style you enjoy.  

That said, between Georgia and Thunderer, I'd probably pick Thunderer, but I also only have the former so grain of salt and all that.

I think those extra two barrels sometimes can make a difference.  The flexibility of a good HE option is also a plus over Georgia.  Plus, with the HE spam meta forcing BB"s back a little bit, it is not too often that I get a chance to make good use of the GA's good secondaries.  I have recently changed all my secondary builds to mostly survivor builds.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[SRBL]
Members
502 posts
12,831 battles

I have Georgia and Smoly and like them both but I enjoy the Georgia more, it just has so many tools that it does well in all matches. My stats in this ship are some of the best I have in any ship.

[BUOY]
Members
1,101 posts
15,223 battles
13 minutes ago, nickalaso123 said:

I'm in a current predicament where I can't decide on what T9 or T10 ship to purchase. I'm a BB mean so Georgia and Thunderer are being considered although Smolensk is equally as tempting since who doesn't want Russian Bias? For those who have purchased coal ships, what would you recommend and why? 

If you want a T9 Massachusetts, the most credit earning potential and a ship that has a Saturn V rocket booster strapped to it because reasons: Georgia.

If you want to pay coal to experience the Conkek 457 the way WG should've released her: Thunderer.

If you want to burn things before WG nerfs or removes it: Smolbote.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,693 posts
19,874 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Charleston... :Smile_trollface:

KWBrAhNg.jpg

Butt seriously, Georgia and Thunderer are both great options. Georgia has the secondary memery and the Iowa platform on fast forward, Thunderer has gun handling on a soft platform. As for Smolensk? She's overrated. Not that she's a bad ship, far from, but she's a bit above mediocre - just annoying to play against, and to many people that means she's 'overpowered'.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

As for Smolensk? She's overrated. Not that she's a bad ship, far from, but she's a bit above mediocre - just annoying to play against, and to many people that means she's 'overpowered'.

Without beating a dead horse much further, my biggest issue with Smolensk isn't how it's perceived to be OP, but what it does to the gameplay meta.  When WG says on one hand they want players (and more specifically battleships) to push and not camp, but then go ahead and release fear inducing ships like Asashio and Smolensk, it seems completely contradictory.

Beta Testers
128 posts
11,821 battles

I would put my coal in Smolensk first if you're at all interested in it, because of the 3 you're talking about it is likely the one to be pulled from the armory first. The Georgia is available for real $ and will likely be out for a while, and Thundererer is brand new so it should be around for a solid length of time. Smolensk is probably on borrowed time right now before the BIAS police get it removed.

I like my Smolensk and my Georgia, although Georgia doesn't feel as comfortable to me as Massachusetts does for some reason. Everything I've read about Thunderer (and my clanmate loves his to death) tells me it's a great ship. I'm 90k away from getting it myself.

[GRAVE]
Members
1,360 posts
19,503 battles
4 hours ago, nickalaso123 said:

Georgia is fun and can be built for secondaries or somewhat normal US BB captains.

Thunderer is a great trainer for UK BBs, and probably what the British BBs should of been.

Smolensk on face value is OP, but looking at it from a cruiser or FR DD point of view, a broadside Smolensk is just a bunch of free citadels. Even still, I would not be surprised if Smolensk gets either or removed in the future, even if I think it unlikely. Also she isn't that great a trainer for Soviet crusiers because IFHE is kind of needed, while Moskva doesn't need it, and LS is also useful, and most Soviet cruisers don't really need that either. nor do they need BFT and AFT either, and Smolensk can use those.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Personally, I'm holding off on my next coal purchase to see what the new year brings. I don't think either Yoshino or Thunderer are going anywhere imminently, and neither one really hooks me. I'd hate to commit on a big buy, only for Wargaming to announce some sniper Bismark or something.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,824 posts
4,733 battles

Salem.  Then Smolensk.  Or if you think the Rooshian will be pulled soon, reverse the order.

Members
1,170 posts
11,512 battles
On 11/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, tfcas119 said:

Also [Smolensk] isn't that great a trainer for Soviet crusiers because IFHE is kind of needed, while Moskva doesn't need it, and LS is also useful, and most Soviet cruisers don't really need that either. nor do they need BFT and AFT either, and Smolensk can use those.

This is a great point. I have a separate captain for my Smolensk, with BFT/AFT/IFHE

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts

... saving coal for Georgia.

My two cents on Smalls.  It shoots a lot, but it accomplishes little and it does not start fires very well.  You will kill dd and steal kills, but that's about it.

Edited by ij70

Members
1,660 posts

I am in the same boat.  I have about 450k coal and 165ish crates to open.  I've thought about getting the Smolensk, but I really don't enjoy Tier X, which also precludes me getting the Thunderer.  I wouldn't mind the Georgia, but I don't know that I really WANT the Georgia.  I have the Masshole and Musashi already, do I need another BB in there?  It would be nice moving Captains up and down the premium ships though like I do with the premium IJN BBs i have tier V to tier IX