Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SeaRaptor

Battle Report: HMS Leander - "Defender of the Universe"

7 comments in this topic

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,684 posts
12,811 battles

Re-grinding the British cruiser line for Research Points has reminded me how much fun these ships are. The line takes a huge turn for the better with Tier VI's HMS Leander, as I demonstrate here on Strait.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,943 battles

Leander, Defender of the Universe = Madonna, Princess of Chastity!

Leander, Defender of the Universe = Nixon, Protector of Honest Government!

Leander, Defender of the Universe = Governor George Wallace, Staunch Supported of Equal Rights for All!

Leander, Defender of the Universe = Anita Bryant, Advocate of Gay Rights!

Leander, Defender of the Universe = Donald Trump, Proponent of Open Government!

(Feel free to add your own at any time.)

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
1 hour ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

Re-grinding the British cruiser line for Research Points has reminded me how much fun these ships are. The line takes a huge turn for the better with Tier VI's HMS Leander, as I demonstrate here on Strait.

Nice battle (especially the torp beat Minikaze kill).

Hope you comped the QE...seems like he saved your butt a couple times there.

My disagreement here is the "turn for the better" comment. Leander's ok but hardly better than the Emerald. The double barrels/turret is nice but the loss of both an extra set of torps on each side plus the rudder shift makes it quite the downgrade comparatively IMO (not a bad ship mind you...& NOT nearly the downgrade you get from Fiji to Edinburg...but still).

I guess it depends on how you classify/run the Emerald...if you still classify/run it as a cruiser it's not nearly as good as it can be...but once you classify it as the best T5 DD (quick ROF/quick rudder shift/double torp racks per side/hydro/& RN smoke & heal) in the game & then run it accordingly it's obvious superiority shines.

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,811 battles
20 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Hope you comped the QE...seems like he saved your butt a couple times there.

I did.  He played a great game.  I probably would have had the charging Izmail, but his presence of mind to back me up was welcome, and he hung in against the Ranger/Leander in the late game longer than I would have anticipated.  He was a rock star.

20 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

My disagreement here is the "turn for the better" comment.

Emerald's offensive firepower is okay.  Her main problem is that her detection combined with her citadel size means that she very frequently only has to get shot at once in order to get wrecked.  Her torpedoes are useful, but she'll be well-spotted when using them, which limits their impact, IMHO.  She's a huge bully to DDs, but gets utterly destroyed by nearly every other T5 cruiser in the game.  Even Genova eats her for lunch, and Genova is not all that good.

With all of that said, when I re-ground the line I had four really good games in Emerald.  As an experienced player, she can be made to work despite her obvious handicaps.  That doesn't make her a particularly good - or particularly easy - ship to play, I think.  Leander is simply more comfortable.  Her turret arrangement is more flexible and she's better protected (which matters against heavy cruisers).  Her extended torpedo range combined with her detection makes her torpedoes more useable than Emerald's in a wider variety of situations.

Edited by SeaRaptor00

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
4 hours ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

I did.  He played a great game.  I probably would have had the charging Izmail, but his presence of mind to back me up was welcome, and he hung in against the Ranger/Leander in the late game longer than I would have anticipated.  He was a rock star.

Emerald's offensive firepower is okay.  Her main problem is that her detection combined with her citadel size means that she very frequently only has to get shot at once in order to get wrecked.  Her torpedoes are useful, but she'll be well-spotted when using them, which limits their impact, IMHO.  She's a huge bully to DDs, but gets utterly destroyed by nearly every other T5 cruiser in the game.  Even Genova eats her for lunch, and Genova is not all that good.

With all of that said, when I re-ground the line I had four really good games in Emerald.  As an experienced player, she can be made to work despite her obvious handicaps.  That doesn't make her a particularly good - or particularly easy - ship to play, I think.  Leander is simply more comfortable.  Her turret arrangement is more flexible and she's better protected (which matters against heavy cruisers).  Her extended torpedo range combined with her detection makes her torpedoes more useable than Emerald's in a wider variety of situations

Higher tier cruisers & BBs can punish her quite easily but I never had a lot of problems w/T5 cruisers in her...I can usually shoot them down while kiting away due to her agility when smoke is on cooldown but I don't camp in her unless smoked & usually save the smoke for torp charging out of position/distracted BBs (& even cruisers & camping...due to being smoked DDs...which in the lower tiers she often sees all 3 quite seldom actually)...otherwise I keep her full speed ahead to use the rudder shift to full advantage & of course AR is a must because I hate to waste the RN heals (in all RNs...not just her) unless I'm down enough to get all I can get out of it so I wait until I'm 1/4 life to use it when I can to get the full AR benefits in the meantime.

I wasn't suggesting yolo cap pushing but she works well coming in behind a DD for hydro support w/out the DD needing to waste it's smoke to shield her but she can push a cap alone quite well w/proper island cover when DDs are scarce (& fortunately she can only be radared by 3 T7 premiums I believe..another advantage she has over Leander).

She's never been a good plane killer (a couple here & there) but could always dodge plane ordinances well enough before the rework...haven't run her since then though so some power creeping may have occurred but assuming the same power creeping has befallen Leander also.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[-K-]
2,684 posts
12,811 battles
13 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

.haven't run her since then though so some power creeping may have occurred but assuming the same power creeping has befallen Leander also.

One of the reasons I chose this line to re-grind was to put this concern to the test, and I've actually been quite surprised at how well the RN cruiser line has held up.  They don't feel power-crept to me at all (even Emerald).

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,898 posts
22,666 battles
2 hours ago, SeaRaptor00 said:

One of the reasons I chose this line to re-grind was to put this concern to the test, and I've actually been quite surprised at how well the RN cruiser line has held up.  They don't feel power-crept to me at all (even Emerald).

Coolie...good to know.

Sign in to follow this