You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Do Cruisers need to work 3x as hard as BB's for the same score?

30 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
940 posts
2,948 battles

Just using my last (frustrating) game in my Baltimore as an example. I finished the game with 96 hits, 3 fires, 54k damage, it was a loss (sub 20% WR these days for me) for a grand XP score of 650. Despite doing my best to support the team and rain fire on any exposed ships. The next game I decided to give my North Carolina a go, another routine loss thanks to brainless DD tactics but I scored a few good hits on a Tirpitz and a Nagato plus some hits on a Fuji and other things. 22 hits, 58k damage and 800 XP awarded. 

Just coasting around in my NC firing at long range targets and hoping the RNG smiles compared to island hugging, spending half the game staring at the map, paranoid about showing my broadside and trying to provide AA cover and DD cover for our BB's in a cruiser. 2 hits from a Bismarck wiped off 50% of my health and I was correctly positioned.. 

I do like cruisers but a lot of the time I feel they are just there to give free XP to the BB's..

• Cool 1
  • Boring 7

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,765 battles

At least in a cruiser you can do more to push / pull your team to a victory...

In BBs, your DPM is so low (tiers 7 and below) that you really require others to take advantage of your positioning.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
6 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Just using my last (frustrating) game in my Baltimore as an example. I finished the game with 96 hits, 3 fires, 54k damage, it was a loss (sub 20% WR these days for me) for a grand XP score of 650. Despite doing my best to support the team and rain fire on any exposed ships. The next game I decided to give my North Carolina a go, another routine loss thanks to brainless DD tactics but I scored a few good hits on a Tirpitz and a Nagato plus some hits on a Fuji and other things. 22 hits, 58k damage and 800 XP awarded. 

Just coasting around in my NC firing at long range targets and hoping the RNG smiles compared to island hugging, spending half the game staring at the map, paranoid about showing my broadside and trying to provide AA cover and DD cover for our BB's in a cruiser. 2 hits from a Bismarck wiped off 50% of my health and I was correctly positioned.. 

I do like cruisers but a lot of the time I feel they are just there to give free XP to the BB's..

Yeah that sounds accurate but then that’s why battleships are considered “easy mode” by some. 

Cruisers offer a more dynamic (aka engaging) experience by a long shot... DDs take that to another level as I’m sure you could agree.

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 2

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,245 posts
8,384 battles

deleted 

Edited by yashma

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles

I say Italian cruisers have to work extra hard to get a good score.

I just played my Bayard at got 167k damage by shooting HE. 

Yeah that aint happening in the Amalfi at same tier. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles
43 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Damage is % of target hp for xp.

So if those 3 fires burned fully and represent 30k ish damage to high hp targets (BBs) than it would be lower xp than knocking 15-20k off of that Fiji alone.

Target smaller ships, most of the time that damage is non-repair able as well. Not all damage is equal for XP

Members
4,354 posts
4,615 battles

Reminds me of Huang He who averages I think 78k over 100 battles in the Huang He. What a mad man. Kongo Pride plays the ship well too iirc. Simply amazing.

But yeah, this could be said about any ship but, cruisers requires you to know your ship's pros and cons and use them to their fullest. Coupled with map awareness and opportunity.  Its why you'll see a lot more varied gameplay out of cruisers than you would a battleship. On the surface anyways.  

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,409 battles

Dion't forget the XP gain is typically proportional to percent damage done. Taking 50% of the health of a DD should give roughly the same amount of XP as taking 50% of a BB, even if the actual damage done is much less. 

• Cool 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,502 battles

In reply to OP question.... Yes you do. One salvo from a BB and your often sunk, shorter range guns in most cases, 1/2 or less HP pool, no armour, you get hit by anything you get hurt in most all CL and many CA while that BB can bounce your shells. A BB can just sit out of range of any other ship class in most cases and only have to worry about other BB if has team in front of him. In a cruiser you have to worry about every ship on the map. Everything can hurt you and send you back to port pretty quick.

That said there are some exceptions in the higher tiers.

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,263 posts
17,123 battles

All ships earn EXP through the same means:

It could've been that the damage you preformed in your Baltimore was not as "valuable" as the damage you preformed in your NC.

Hopefully the video above helps you understand how EXP is calculated and brings light to your exp differences.

Fem, 

• Cool 3

[WOLFG]
Members
10,706 posts
9,918 battles
14 hours ago, pikohan said:

Dion't forget the XP gain is typically proportional to percent damage done. Taking 50% of the health of a DD should give roughly the same amount of XP as taking 50% of a BB, even if the actual damage done is much less. 

This.  It is so easy to hit a fatbote with HE spam.  But you are only going to work it down slowly.  In the time you can get 10K damage on a BB, you can kill a destroyer.

[MHG]
Members
303 posts
19,063 battles

It is not clear of contesting a cap also rewards XP/credits. By this I mean remaining in the cap while a red ship is present, preventing them from capping. Of course there are no ribbons in game that shows this, but does the game internally make the calculation and award anything?

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,079 posts
15,102 battles

CAs are high ceiling ships, maybe the hardest ships in the game to play, but get in a duel in your BB with a skillful CA player, and they can make your life very miserable.  Get good in a CA that you like and you will have very good scores.  Subject to instant Citadel, but them are the breaks.

[O7]
Members
729 posts
21,852 battles
18 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

High tier cruisers can rack up damage far faster than BBs.  Henri, Smolensk, wooster all have so much DPM.  If you're a decent player it is far too easy and a BB has no chance 1v1.

• Cool 1

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

It also matters what tier ships you hit.  Damage to a +1 or +2 tier ship will grant more XP than equal or lower because...reasons.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,138 posts
17,201 battles

Hmm no I do not think so.

Looking at my average XP per ship type"

BB 1651

CV 1603

CA 1594

DD 1597

They all seem to be pretty close. 

My most played CA is Mogami with an average xp of 1825 and my most played BB is Tirpitz with and average xp of 1738. Again pretty close and both at tier 8. 

So yeah not seeing any big issue.

[LOU1]
Members
4,207 posts
12,384 battles

"Reward for battle (income)

As for reward for battle, there was also a conflict between team game and the sum, which the player received after the battle.

Before 0.5.12 version reward for the battle was calculated based on the following indicators:

∙ Number of enemy ships destroyed;

∙ Amount of relative damage (i.e., not absolute numbers of damage, but percent of target HP);

∙ Number of enemy aircrafts down;

∙ Actions with control points:

∙ Capture and contribution to capture;

∙ Defense;

∙ Blocking.

Of course, bringing damage and capturing points - are important elements around which a significant part of gameplay is built. However, there are other actions that are not less important to victory, but they are not rewarded economically. This situation was fixed in 0.5.12 version: we have added new indicators to reward that can be seen in battle statistics:

∙Amount of potential damage (damage received and blocked - maximum damage of all shells, bombs or torpedoes that hit the player's ship or were within 500- radius from her);

∙ Number of detected ships, aircrafts and torpedoes;

∙ Amount of damage brought to the targets detected by player."

Edited by ExploratorOne

[NUWES]
Members
3,243 posts
11,563 battles
23 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

BBs are all about Alpha strikes and cruisers are all about sustained damage. So... yes. 

Also, if 2 hits from a Bismarck took off 50% of your health in a NC you weren't correctly positioned. 

[PT]
Members
940 posts
2,948 battles
15 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Also, if 2 hits from a Bismarck took off 50% of your health in a NC you weren't correctly positioned. 

I'll disagree. I've been perfectly angled to minimise damage in my Baltimore many times and have had a random shell hit the tip of my bow and do massive damage. Other times I've been badly exposed and eaten a heap of AP with minimal damage.  Luck and RNG is a massive factor. (mine is usually awful). 

[NUWES]
Members
3,243 posts
11,563 battles
7 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I'll disagree. I've been perfectly angled to minimise damage in my Baltimore many times and have had a random shell hit the tip of my bow and do massive damage. Other times I've been badly exposed and eaten a heap of AP with minimal damage.  Luck and RNG is a massive factor. (mine is usually awful). 

Luck is definitely a factor, but most of it is geometry and math. Bismarck's shells don't penetrate well. NC can angle against them easily. In fact Baltimore can too. If you took that much damage from 2 Bismarck shells like you said you weren't well angled. Sometimes it looks on the screen like you are angled well enough but if you compare the angles on the minimap or on the overhead map you can see that you aren't. 

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
668 posts
12,589 battles
On 11/3/2019 at 8:31 PM, LunchCutter said:

yes CA/CL/BC are harder to play but you can get good results playing. You may not score as much damage in as BB, but you can over time. there play style is very from line to line just read up on the play style and watch some youtube videos of some cruisers and that may help.

[-KAK-]
Members
136 posts
6,822 battles
8 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Well if you're in the Baltimore you only have a 27mm bow -- against the Bismarck that's fine but any 406 shell is going to overmatch any angling on your bow, which may be what you are experiencing. 

The american CA's was one of the first lines I ground when I started playing. Initially i was like "bow in is the best" which may be fine for the new orleans at her tier, but once you start fighting more T9/10 , the bow in tactic works in very situational circumstances. It comes down to knowing what's around you and what you're susceptible to. 406 shells? Sure I can kite in / kite out angled, 429? keep my distance. 

Other times it benefits to be close depending on your ship (i.e Smolensk) because any high caliber shell will just overpen. 

Here's a replay of a DM game from awhile ago that is probably one of my best. Cruisers suffer from the fact that positioning is key, you over extend? you probably don't have the health/stealth/speed to make a turn and get out of there before someone devs your poor booty.

https://replayswows.com/replay/43300#stats

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,865 posts
4,733 battles

Do Cruisers need to work 3x as hard as BB's ?

Cruiser drivers certainly have to work harder.   Many more WASD and LMB than on a BB. 

I driver cruisers because they eat more calories than battleships and keep me fit.

Ever notice how skinny DDs drivers are?