You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Permanent Camos are Boring...

24 comments in this topic

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles

I want to spend some money to put permanent camos on my most played ships, and would have done so already if most of them weren't so....plain.

Here's the Fletcher with perma camo:

image.thumb.png.49a14bb69702f75ab4920025e0fd033d.png

It's boring. I'm not inspired to drop 4000 doubloons on this. Why not just cover my ship in a garbage bag?

If you're still awake, check out Udaloi:

image.thumb.png.84c113ff4e8621face4c36a6e18644f7.png

If I'm going to spend around $20 on a camo, I want my ship to look cool. The above pics are not cool looking ships. It hurts my eyes. The thought of spending money on this is damaging my soul and is making me irrationally angry.

This looks awesome:

image.thumb.png.d4e015225a2e73b34dde15d645ac37ee.png

I paid good money for the Haida alternate camo. You know why? This is why:

image.thumb.png.6a0c86491c085a162f781fdb70d2376e.png

^ Mega rad as hell. The coolest paint job in the game. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WG...PLEASE give us some awesome options for perma camo on tech tree ships. PLEASE. I WILL GIVE YOU MONEY FOR THIS. I'm literally rubbing my thumb and index finger together right now, in the "money" gesture, just to emphasize how serious I am about throwing cash at you.

Check out Dallas!

image.thumb.png.5daafdf046bd2a42273412f8163c08d5.png

Why cant I have something this fun for Fletcher, or Grozovoi?? 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 5

[KIA-C]
Members
3,554 posts
15,632 battles

All these camos looks much more interesting than Henri (or most FR CA ) perma camo

Members
237 posts
1,449 battles

I actually like the first two. They look like warships. The third image looks like a gaudy parade float or a funeral barge to me. Not sure I'd spend $20 on any of them though.

The last two are fantastic, definitely worth some money. I think there's also a Union Jack version, and I've used the "Revolution" (French flag) camo on my French cruisers several times, but it's not permanent.

Just a word of warning though: you have to be careful which ships you use which flag camos on. I put the Stars & Stripes on my Emile Bertin and it spent an entire match trying to sink itself.

Edited by HMS_Hoodwink
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
3 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

I actually like the first two. They look like warships

Yeah, I didn't make the point in my first post that similar looking camos are available for free. Like, the first two look like basic af type 5 camo. 

4 minutes ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

The third image looks like a gaudy parade float or a funeral barge to me

Fair enough, but at least it's INTERESTING. That's more my point: gimme something to consider, not just run of the mill, type 5 camo for $20 per ship.

Members
3,105 posts
12,308 battles
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

Yeah, I didn't make the point in my first post that similar looking camos are available for free. Like, the first two look like basic af type 5 camo. 

Fair enough, but at least it's INTERESTING. That's more my point: gimme something to consider, not just run of the mill, type 5 camo for $20 per ship.

Naah.  I have paid for perma camo for every one of my T10s, and I will quite gladly take perma camo over any "interesting" camo out there that makes your ship look like some kid's art major project.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
15 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

All these camos looks much more interesting than Henri (or most FR CA ) perma camo

Yeah, the default one looks like you forgot to put camo on it altogether.

The alternate colour scheme is pretty swell, though, tbh.

image.thumb.png.173982199984a25215a93db3eb5ff815.png

Haha...just kidding. This is hideous. I just had to put my corkscrew down to avoid instinctively jamming it directly into my eyeballs. GAH! Now I cant drink this wine! THANKS WG!

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,511 battles

Taste in camo is just the eye of the beholder. I prefer my standard camos for ships such as Shimakaze and Kagero because I like my ships to actually look like ships. Not like floating wrecks like the Halloween camos or any of the ARP ship designs (the latter of which arent even camo's at all) 

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
3 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Naah.  I have paid for perma camo for every one of my T10s, and I will quite gladly take perma camo over any "interesting" camo out there that makes your ship look like some kid's art major project.

I'm trying to remember who asked....

• Boring 4

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
1 minute ago, _Zeka said:

Taste in camo is just the eye of the beholder. I prefer my standard camos for ships such as Shimakaze and Kagero because I like my ships to actually look like ships. Not like floating wrecks like the Halloween camos or any of the ARP ship designs (the latter of which arent even camo's at all) 

Yeah, I get that. I'd like some options, though. Like a more standard one and a gaudy, showy-as-hell flag type one. Zero interest in the halloween ones.

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,180 posts
10,511 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

Yeah, I get that. I'd like some options, though. Like a more standard one and a gaudy, showy-as-hell flag type one. Zero interest in the halloween ones.

Some mod packs like Aslains (iirc) have ship skins in them if you're interested in any of those

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,395 battles
7 minutes ago, _Zeka said:

Some mod packs like Aslains (iirc) have ship skins in them if you're interested in any of those

I'm mind-blowingly lazy. The thought of having to re-install mods after every update is actually giving me anxiety.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,743 posts

hmmm. frankly I'm more interested in the service cost reduction than the looks. That said, I do like my eye-bleeding camo on the OctRev, and I am considering the crocanaur/monty camo, because who doesnt want a ship with a tail.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Everyone has their own taste, I prefer the more subtle camos as opposed to the loud ones, but since the benefits from permanent camos are crap, I use consumables camos. I put stats over aesthetics anyways.

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff

Members
237 posts
1,449 battles
28 minutes ago, legozer said:

Yeah, it's certainly interesting. Admittedly moreso than the permacamo on my Queen Elizabeth (which, while a tad boring, doesn't look too bad).

But the permanent camo for the Montecannoli (which I got with Italian tokens as I didn't want to spend money on it) genuinely puzzles me. It's literally nothing. The ship is a slightly different shade of grey, that's it. Maybe the camo is just so good I can't even see it, who knows?

queenie.jpg

montecannolli.jpg

Members
2,352 posts
32,371 battles
33 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i think cosmetics is a serious untouched money maker for WG

Absolutely.  So many things they could do.  I'd like to see some sort of barrel stripes or funnel trappings or whatever for a certain number of DD's killed by a class of cruiser, for instance.  So many things they could do in addition to livening up camos.

[AK]
Members
298 posts
11,641 battles

For real, aren't there skin mods you can get? I'm pretty sure theres a subforum around here dedicated to that.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,441 posts
4,198 battles
2 hours ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I like all thr Kobiashi (sp?) Camo with the exception of that beer can monstrosity!!!!!!

I still want to know who thought the beer can looked good. I mean wth, I have no idea what it's supposed to be or represent, and neither does anyone else apparently because everyone calls it the beer can camo.

OP, the benefit of the camos is the bonuses, the actual looks is historical. One of the high tier USN BB camos is literally just blue, so that it's hard to see where the waterline is. Hilariously it was removed early on because it actually worked in game, but graphics have improved so that it's not an issue and it's back on my Missouri. There are plenty of camos that are more colorful, and some which are a bit over the top. And WG does have a decent collection of more interesting perma camos that have been available through special events though. Mostly though they stick with history.

I don't know why WG is so opposed to selling cosmetic enhancements, it's pretty clear a lot of people would pay for things like interesting camos and individualized ships. But nope, must have OP Russian ship of the month instead.

I'm with you on the USA camos. Yes they're over the top. Duh, welcome to the USA! I have two for my Texas, because that's just appropriate. Who doesn't want their USN ship covered in red white and blue? The Wooster and Cleveland have an even more 'Murican one with eagles and flags. I have it for the Cleveland, not for Wooster. But it's things like that which add character to a ship. Wouldn't want the enemy not knowing who was shooting them would we?

[GLF]
Members
1,045 posts
17,220 battles

The little color wheel on the color changable camos has like 6-8 colors on it.  I see a little wheel like that, and I think:

"Look! , i can fully customize how my boat looks and make it mine.   Pick two of the colors as a theme and make my own look that gets to only be seen from like 5km before it fades away to average gray in peoples' graphics settings.   And look, a lengthy grind where I can even pay my way to the end of it buying containers, and complete all these collections, it must be a spectacular color change ability.  One that I've not seen anyone else even get to yet because every boat i see has the same standard camos."

Then we complete the grinds and realize we only get 1 extra color,  all pre-chosen, and in many cases its just a $^#%$^#@$ negative image of the one thats already there.    Lame!!!!!!     Will new colors be another grind?    I am not grinding out more missions nor pointless collections that add pre-chosen colors and what is essentially no choice at all in customization.  Whats the next one gonna be?   "Grayscale" versions of the same old junk? 

At least give us some variety to the looks... the gameplay itself sure isn't providing it.  

• Cool 1

[11FLT]
Members
55 posts

I myself like the standard and historical camo look, not really a fan of the gucciflage look. There could be a good market if they went with both styles. Lots like the fancy looks etc and lots like the historical looks. I know I would buy the historical permas.