You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S_H_O_W_T_I_M_E

Which is the best tier 8 premium DD?

40 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
1,134 battles

Hey guys, I'm wondering how you guys think the premium tier 8 dd's stack up in 2019. Mainly interested in the Loyang, Kidd, Cossack or Le Terrible as I already have the Asashio (I love it but I want something a bit more flexible).

Could you tell me which one you guys recommend and why?  Thx.

Ps. I like torps, while it doesn't have to be the main thing of the ship I still want to torp things because it's fun and satisfying.

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,422 posts
6,014 battles

This is a hard one...theres not many options

• Asashio, good if you hate BBs
  • Harekaze is ok
  • Kidd is OP if you can get her somehow
  • Cossack is pretty good i guess
  • Loyang is really good for competitive.

other than the french ones which are terrible, one is named as such. those are youre options and none of those are bad

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles

Kidd can tackle almost anything, be it uptiering, facing lots of Radar ships, CVs. She isn't that capable of harming capital ships because of her single launcher with long reload, but I can guarantee you that you can be a survivable thorn on anyone's side in almost any scenario. 

Cossack on the other hand thrives in abusing her detection to deliver high alpha strikes. 

Personally since you enjoy torpedoes, I would go with Cossack. While only a single quadruple launcher, it reloads in 60 seconds and has the stats of Daring torpedoes. It won't replace guns, but it can be pretty strong.

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
437 posts
16,134 battles

Cossack hands down. Great concealment, great guns and fast reloading torps.

[USCG]
Members
817 posts
24,807 battles

I’ve been playing my Loyang a bunch lately. Forgot how much fun she can be! Nothing better than contesting a cap with another DD, pop smoke...pop hydro...go to town...

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
31 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

This is a hard one...theres not many options

• Asashio, good if you hate BBs
  • Harekaze is ok
  • Kidd is OP if you can get her somehow
  • Cossack is pretty good i guess
  • Loyang is really good for competitive.

other than the french ones which are terrible, one is named as such. those are youre options and none of those are bad

1. The HSF Harekaze is no longer available for sale.

2. The Le Terrible is just fine, as are the other French DDs in the tech tree.  Just because you apparently can't play them well, which is why I assume you don't like them, doesn't mean that they aren't good.  They are quite good.  They just require one to learn to play DDs in a very different way.

3. The Lo Yang is a pretty good DD.  It's pretty much just a different take on the USN's Benson that plays quite well.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[USN]
Members
1,747 posts
21,972 battles

Kidd has AA to deal with CVs and heals to outtrade any DD.

Cossack has great DPM, low stealth, long duration short range hydro, great cap contester and DD Hunter

Lo Yang is another great cap contester due to her German-esque hydro

Le Terrible probably requires having to play the High Tier FR DDs before this. They can be great if you know what you're doing, but very unforgiving.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,679 posts

Cossack is a hell of a nice gunboat- who also has low detection and fast reloading torpedoes.   This ship is a winner.

Lo Yang is literally THE Benson.  Again, you can do guns or torps- it's good with both.  Comes with hydro acoustic search for trolling other torpedo boats in caps!   And that is why it's so popular in competetive play.

Kidd... I have had no luck with this one...  As good as it is for Random play, it's BAD in co-op.   The slow as hell torpedo reload and single launcher are killers there.   VS CV's,  you can laugh all the way to the bank.   I think the bots just hate this ship (at least when I'M in it, lol)- they charge and swarm it wherever you go.  Some players love it, though.

Le Terrible.   I guess I'm one of the few that likes this ship.  Then again, speedy gunboats ARE my wheelhouse.   It's a French DD in every sense of the word- if you like them, you may like this.  I believe it's one of, if not THE, fastest ship in the game.   I've pulled off some monster games in mine!   ( I'm a fan of the French DD's)

Overall it's a nice selection to choose from.  Each fits a different style of play, and each has a quirk or two that make it unique.

[BOMBL]
Members
1,243 posts
17,164 battles

Le Terrible is a fast gun boat dd similar to russian dds. Good representation of the tech tree french dds. Torps are usable but more of an ambush style torp dd. speed can get you into trouble if you aren't used to it. Very good dd, but you have to like the gun boat style play. You said you like torps so I would shy away from this one.

Cossack is very stealthy. Very good at dd duels with 8 guns. only 4 torps in one launcher but 10 km range and fast reload. Very good for randoms. Short smoke. Pop pew pew. maybe drop torps. move on.

Lo Yang is another good random ship. 4 USN 127s. two choices of torps. 9.2 km slow and weak, or 6.8 km fast and strong. 9.2 are ok especially when top tier. Hydro is a plus. will get out dpm by other dds. Lot like the Lo Yang but she has never been my favorite

Kidd is a fletcher class USN t9 sized down for t8. Only one torp launcher with 5 9.2 km torps that are slow and not particularly powerful. Does have heals. IMO Kidd is the absolute beast of caps. The fletcher class and I really click. I love the fletcher and Chung Mu pre nerf. In randoms the Kidd lacks punch. Capping early typically means cruiser are shooting at you. Lack of torp effectiveness makes her almost a gun boat that won't challenge cruisers and can barely damage bbs. I play the kidd in ranked, and nothing can compete with her in the contested cap. The only dd it can't out dpm is the aki, but I rarely have trouble dueling. I run into the cap, and out gun any dd there, then heal up and start the harassment of the rest of the red team.

If you are looking for the best all around dds for randoms Cossack or Lo Yang. Kidd is a cap contester. Terrible is a gun boat.

[O_O]
Members
7,158 posts
18,012 battles

Kidd is a troll-level DD fighter.  Get in, slug it out...then heal and finalize the kill AND the cap.  And you can AA your way out of all but the most confident CV air attacks.  Her torps are not her strong suit, her guns are.

Cossack is a solid, well-rounded DD.  Good torps, good guns, good just about everything.

Lo Yang...I don't know.  Maybe I don't have enough games to get a solid impression.  Then again, I don't have many games in Cossack, but I see her value.

HSF Harekaze is not available, so all arguments for her are moot.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,878 posts
24,720 battles

Cossack hands down.

Lo Yang for competitive. 

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Cossack is my pick. You get almost the best concealment in tier(only kagero and her clones out spot you), excellent torpedoes that reload fast and can be single fired, solid guns, British maneuverability but with access to speed boost unlike the tree, hydro, and British smoke. It's only real meaningful shortcoming is the lack of pen on the HE but 19mm pen is still enough to damage other DDs and superstructures so it's not that big of a deal.

[HINON]
Members
9,230 posts
13,912 battles

i came in expecting to see alot of answers saying "Kidd" and i was not disappointed

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,118 battles

I would vote for Loyang. It's pretty classic USN DD playstyle but you also have a really good hydro which lets you take better advantage of your smoke and be aggressive against other DDs.

Kidd is also a strong contender, but less capable as a torpedo boat as it only has one launcher. 

I have friends that love Cossack but for me personally, I think I prefer the tech tree variant.

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff
  • Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,722 posts
18,471 battles

Im bias to Le Terrible but go Cossack so much utility and flexibility.

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
5 hours ago, _S_H_O_W_T_I_M_E_ said:

Hey guys, I'm wondering how you guys think the premium tier 8 dd's stack up in 2019. Mainly interested in the Loyang, Kidd, Cossack or Le Terrible as I already have the Asashio (I love it but I want something a bit more flexible).

Could you tell me which one you guys recommend and why?  Thx.

Ps. I like torps, while it doesn't have to be the main thing of the ship I still want to torp things because it's fun and satisfying.

Kidd and cossack are gunboats...

Kidd has (or had) godlike aa. Kidd has a heal at t8 (i cannot overstate how awesomeheals are for dds). Downside: only 1 rack of torps iirc.

Same problem for cossack... 1 rack of torps (though they reload surprisingly quickly and can be fired singly). Shes got heaps of guns but low rof  and good stealth.

Loyang is still my dd fave for t8... amazing acoustics let you be a bully. 10x torps. Downside is fewer guns than the other two. Its also limited as a captain trainer.

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I would vote for Loyang. It's pretty classic USN DD playstyle but you also have a really good hydro which lets you take better advantage of your smoke and be aggressive against other DDs.

Kidd is also a strong contender, but less capable as a torpedo boat as it only has one launcher. 

I have friends that love Cossack but for me personally, I think I prefer the tech tree variant.

Idk why but i loved the lightning too... not sure if its the 360 degree turrets, rof, or handling but she felt more comfortable than cossack.