You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

A (Serious) case for HMS Glowworm as T7 Royal Navy destroyer premium

18 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,717 posts
19,921 battles

Hello and welcome to another thread where I pretend to know what I'm talking about. This time it's about a British destroyer of the G class, in most aspects a sister ship of Gallant which is already in the game. "But Lert," I hear you ask, "I thought you didn't like clones and sisterships?" That is true. Generally I do not see the need for a clone or sister ship as long as there are so many unique designs yet to be introduced. But in this case I think a look at Glowworm is warranted. Not just because of her history but also her implementation.

DQWlnAF.jpg

Why Glowworm, when her sister ship Gallant is already in the game?

Glowworm is known for one particular and spectacular action. Early in 1940, Glowworm was on patrol when she ran across a German convoy on their way to deliver troops for an invasion of Norway. Unfortunately for Glowworm, the ships she encountered were German destroyers Z11 Bernd von Arnim and Z18 Hans Lüdemann. And these destroyers knew something Glowworm didn't. There was another German warship in this small convoy. And as Z11 and Z18 attempted to disengage, they radioed in for help from Big Sister.

nNv2P4W.jpg

And it was Glowworm's actions against the mighty monster that was Admiral Hipper that cemented her place in history. And compared to Glowworm, a monster was what Hipper was. 18.500 tons to Glowworm's 1913 ton, 8x 8" rifles to Glowworm's 4x 4.7", 80mm belt with turtle back armor to Glowworm's mere plating, designed to keep weather out rather than shells.

As Hipper opened up with her massive 203mm cannons Glowworm laid smoke in order to obscure herself from Hipper's targeting, but unfortunately for the plucky G class destroyer, Hipper's radar directed range finders were unaffected. After several salvos trying to find the range, Hipper's shells started slamming in to Glowworm, ripping through the thin plating, and rending asunder her radio room, bridge and forward 120mm gun turret. By the time Glowworm emerged from her smoke cloud, these veritable David and Goliath expys were so close that Glowworm could open up with her three remaining 120mm mounts, and open up she did. Further shell impacts from Hipper ripped through the engine room, captains day cabin and finally the mast - and as the latter crashed down it created a short circuit which caused her siren to howl like a banshee.

Lieutenant Commander Gerard Broadmeed Roope of Glowworm turned broadside to Hipper and, at a range of 870 meters, let rip with a salvo of five torpedoes, one full launcher worth - but all five missed, as Captain Helmuth Heye of Hipper had kept her bows towards Glowworm to minimize the risk of torpedoes. A battered Glowworm made steam as much as she could with her damaged engine and turned back into her smoke screen to position herself to empty her second launcher of fish, but Hipper followed her into the smoke. Now within spitting distance of each other, cannons blazing, Roope ordered a rudder hard over and for Glowworm to ram Hipper. She tore in to Hipper's side just abaft the anchor, ripping open the heavy cruiser's hull which took on some 500 tons of water before the leaks could be isolated, and the heavy cruiser survived with minimal damage.

Glowworm however was not so fortunate. The collision tore off her bow and what remained of the little tin can that could was on fire, crew jumping overboard, the ship a mangled mass of steel as she slowly went under.

Ebb5BKJ.jpg

Glowworm in flames, photo taken from Hipper.

Hipper hove to and started rescue operations, rescuing some forty British sailors, although several of those died later of their wounds. One German sailor had fallen overboard upon the collision and was never recovered. Gerard Broadmeed Roope in his exhaustion could not hold on to a rope while being rescued by Hipper, and drowned. Glowworm went down along with 109 of her crew. Helmuth Heye, having been impressed with Roope's bravery, made sure an account of Glowworm's actions made its way to the British Admiralty, and Roope was awarded the first British fighting man to be awarded the Victoria Cross of WWII.

Although Hipper's own accounts only mentioned four torpedoes from Glowworm, photographic evidence of the wreck showed her launchers empty, showing that all ten had been launched.

Wow, ok so ... How could we implement her, make her fun to drive, balanced in her tier and honor that amazing legacy?

For most of Glowworm's implementation I will be sticking to Gallant stats. She'll differ in guns, torpedo loadout and consumables most of all, and I hope that these changes will justify her bump in tier. Anyways, let's get one possible implementation.

Tonnage:

Gallant standard.

• 12000 hitpoints

Armor:

T7 destroyer standard:

• 16mm plating
  • 10mm superstructure
  • 6mm gun mount

Main armament:

• 4x 4.7" QF Mk IX

These are the same guns as on Gallant. However, due to her bump in tier and the relative gun firepower of other ships at T7, I can't find myself giving them the same gun handling stats as Gallant. As such I would give them the following stats:

• 4s reload
  • 12s traverse
  • 85m dispersion
  • 10.2 km base range
  • 1700 HE dmg
  • 8% fire chance
  • 808 m/s velocity
  • 2100 AP dmg
  • 808 m/s velocity

These are basically Jervis shells on guns with Gallant's firing range and dispersion, but with buffed reload and traverse. This still doesn't make her a gun boat really, but at least more comfortable gunnery than Gallant.

Auxilliary armament:

Gallant standard:

• 2x 4 12.7mm mounts

Not really worth talking about.

Torpedoes:

Ah, now we come to the major difference between Glowworm and Gallant. Where most of the G class destroyers carried two sets of quadruple tube torpedo launchers, Glowworm was fitted with two quintuple sets. This gives her a heavier broadside of fish than Gallant, and is the main reason I bumped her up a tier. For simplicity's sake I'll give her Jervis fish:

• 2x 5 533mm
  • 120s reload
  • 15733 dmg
  • 59 knots
  • 7 km range

On Jervis these are mediocre, but it is my belief that with Glowworm's smaller profile and better stealth, these torpedoes are more useful than on Jervis. Furthermore, their short range helps cement Glowworm as a high octane, close proximity play style that befits her legacy.

If these are too underpowered, one might consider Lightning's torpedoes. The ubiquitous Mk IXs, with their 8km range, 15433 damage and 61 knot speed. However, I don't think that will be necessary owing to her concealment, consumables and a special surprise I am baking in to her camouflage.

These torpedoes can single fire of course.

Maneuverability:

Gallant standard:

• 36 knots
  • 540m turning radius
  • 3x rudder shift

These stats combined with the Royal Navy acceleration buff and turning speed buff makes Glowworm one wiggly little bastard.

Concealment:

These numbers are with mounted premium camouflage, before skills. I'll give her a small concealment bonus over Gallant, to help with her playstyle.

• 6km by sea
  • 2.4km by air
  • 2.4km smoke firing penalty

This makes her a reasonably stealth little ship at tier 7.

Consumables:

• Damage Control Party
  • Royal Navy Destroyer Smokes
  • Royal Navy Destroyer Hydro
  • Speed Boost

Whaaaaaat? Speed boost on a Royal Navy Destroyer!? Yes. I've given her speed boost to help make her stand out and further emphasize the intended play style. With her enhanced stealth, speed boost and Royal Navy short range - long duration hydro and short duration - short cooldown smokes she really is a ship that is played at the front. Her heavy torpedo broadside helps with that. Plus, there's still a surprise that I'm planning for the camouflage section. Speaking of ...

Camouflage:

Normally this section comes near the end, but since I am giving her a very special bonus in her camouflage I figured I'd move this section up to before play style.

xer6nfC.png

Personally I don't think she ever wore anything but the standard Royal Navy gray, but I could be mistaken. As for bonuses:

• -3% concealment
  • +4% enemy dispersion
  • -10% post battle service cost
  • +50% XP
  • -20% damage received when ramming
  • +50% damage done when ramming

That's right. I'm giving her a free Hotel Yankee signal baked into her camo. Why? Because it's fun. Plus, it would stack with the actual Hotel Yankee, which - depending on WG's math - would either give her a 24k (HP + (50% + 50%)) or a 27k ((HP +50%) +50%) ramming damage potential, and taking at least 40% less ramming damage in return. This would make Glowworm into a little terror that would basically just run over other destroyers and be a serious threat to cruisers even if the captain decides to ram.

And it is that, combined with her consumable suite and concealment bonus that I think would make what's basically a Gallant with some additional fish suitable for tier 7.

PzlsQC3.png

Gerard Broadmeed Roope's final order, 1940, colorized.

Upgrades:

T7 standard.

• 4 slots, up to the 1 million option

Playstyle:

You're small, everyone else has more firepower than you, but you're fast, plucky and have some very neat tricks up your sleeve. The combination of short duration short reload smokes and short range long duration hydro makes you a potent cap contester. Although your gun firepower is lacking, you have a relatively heavy - if short ranged - torpedo armament. And your torpedoes are extra flexible with the Royal Navy single fire ability. Your concealment and Royal Navy maneuverability buffs make you a slippery opponent and a built-in Hotel Yankee that stacks with an actual Hotel Yankee is a recipe for utter hilarity should the right opportunity present itself.

Elephant in the room:

This is not an easy destroyer to play. Normally I'm not a fan of balancing by gimmicks, but in this case I don't really feel like I had much of a choice. A 25% heavier torpedo loadout than Gallant basically necessitated a tier bump, so she needed some additional buffs and bonuses to fully fit at tier 7. A benefit of this is that she wouldn't compete with Gallant for T6 Royal Navy destroyer sales. I'm still not sure I've given her potent enough offense, and I don't think there's realistically any room left in her guns to further massage, leaving just the torpedoes as balancing tool. But that would push her more towards torpedo boat than she's already leaning, which makes it more difficult to use her as a captain trainer for what is in essence a line of gunboat destroyers.

Still, 27k potential ramming damage. In a smol lolibote. You could run over a Khabarovsk with that, or rip more than 50% off of a Hipper.

ImYhLCl.gif

So in short:

Pros:

• Ramming hilarity
  • Sealthy
  • Broad set of consumables
  • Flexibility

Cons:

• Smol hitpoint pool
  • Smol gun firepower
  • Too reliant on gimmicks

What would she cost, if implemented at Tier 7?

About $35, including port slot

In closing:

Thank you for reading this, and thanks to @LittleWhiteMouse for being my sounding board and offering some ideas for this little piece of writing.

Sources used:

Spoiler

World of Warships

Wikipedia

• Cool 17
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[TRIST]
Members
413 posts
4,412 battles

How about giving her a new consumable that has the same effect as the ramming flag?:Smile_trollface:

Anyways, nice writeup! I could go for this cute little headbutter.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,717 posts
19,921 battles
7 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

How about giving her a new consumable that has the same effect as the ramming flag?:Smile_trollface:

Oh god .... ((HP +50%) +50%) +50% = 40.5k potential ramming damage ....

iSTduhe.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[TRIST]
Members
413 posts
4,412 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Oh god .... ((HP +50%) +50%) +50% = 40.5k potential ramming damage ....

iSTduhe.gif

Yess, make this lolibote a giant torpedo. Your speed boost will be greatly appreciated. This baby could cripple BBs with that power!

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,717 posts
19,921 battles
2 minutes ago, Cheeezzy said:

Your speed boost will be greatly appreciated.

I mean, Mouse at one point suggested a French Speed Boost, but that was a bit too much I think.

Members
6,169 posts
7,863 battles

Hmm. Unless WG is planning or willing to make a second RN DD line, I'd much rather see Grenville as a premium since we already have a G-class premium. Grenville being different mainly because she was constructed with a 5th turret and intended to operate as a flotilla leader. Which is why I put the caveat, "if WG isn't going to make a second RN DD line", as I think with how the RN did construction with their DDs, you could make a second branch with the ships built as intended flotilla leaders.

But don't get me wrong though. This is an excellent write up and proposal. If WG were to go with this idea (the OP), I certainly wouldn't be complaining.

Relevant:

obcn187ojzm11.png

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[TRIST]
Members
413 posts
4,412 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

I mean, Mouse at one point suggested a French Speed Boost, but that was a bit too much I think.

Oh god that would've been glorious. Would it be the fastest torp in the game? :Smile_veryhappy:

[TRIST]
Members
413 posts
4,412 battles
14 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Hmm. Unless WG is planning or willing to make a second RN DD line, I'd much rather see Grenville as a premium since we already have a G-class premium. Grenville being different mainly because she was constructed with a 5th turret and intended to operate as a flotilla leader. Which is why I put the caveat, "if WG isn't going to make a second RN DD line", as I think with how the RN did construction with their DDs, you could make a second branch with the ships built as intended flotilla leaders.

But don't get me wrong though. This is an excellent write up and proposal. If WG were to go with this idea (the OP), I certainly wouldn't be complaining.

Relevant:

obcn187ojzm11.png

Oh look, it's the message we always skip :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Members
6,169 posts
7,863 battles
1 hour ago, Cheeezzy said:

Oh look, it's the message we always skip :cap_like:

What makes this message great is that it is both a Jojo reference and a Konosuba reference. And AL Glowworm's silly personality just fits the scene so well.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 1

[TRIST]
Members
413 posts
4,412 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

What makes this message great is that it is both a Jojo reference and a Konosuba reference. And AL Glowworms silly personality just fits the scene so well.

Yep! One of my favorite parts of the game. Would love it if Hipper and Glowworm had some interactions as well!

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
4,324 battles

I have a question for you. Is it that all of these ideas coming from LWM, or are you actually LWM? Also, you simply gave the poor Glowworm Icarus torpedoes. And that's a problem that I've been grappling around with.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,717 posts
19,921 battles
13 minutes ago, tyinnow said:

Is it that all of these ideas coming from LWM

Johnston came mostly from LWM, Glowworm we talked about but most ideas ended up coming from me.

or are you actually LWM?

I mean, if that fits your fantasies ...

Also, you simply gave the poor Glowworm Icarus torpedoes.

They seemed the one that fit, but torpedoes would be the first thing you could tweak.

• Cool 2

[GOBI]
Members
1,087 posts
4,502 battles

Sounds interesting but only if the ramming boost takes effect when ship is in the red for HP.  Otherwise they will just become suicide ships.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,754 posts
15,308 battles

I am... unenthusiastic on this one.

Glowworm has an interesting history, but so to do other potential RN destroyers which could fit about T7: Saumarez, Onslow, Cavalier, Petard, Hardy, Kelly, Tartar, Crossbow, the list is pretty extensive. Some of those are in my view simply more deserving, and while that doesn't mean Glowworm is undeserving, she comes with some downsides at T7.

Despite having advantages over Icarus (and I'd completely discount the 7km torp version) in 1km of torpedo range and the retention of engine boost with the RN speed retention, I don't think that's enough for T7. I don't think Icarus or Gallant are particularly strong ships, and a number of T7's are significantly better than the T6's. Gallant's contemporaries are Fubuki and Shinonome, Akatsuki and Shiratsuyu are different kettles of fish and 12,000 HP is already low at T6.

If you wanted Glowworm, then the pentad torpedo launchers don't provide much advantage in the grand scheme of things. The alpha is better, but the reload is longer and so DPM stays the same.

I'd like WG to at least pretend to make a bit of an effort with some ships, ones like Cheshire really bring me down.

• Cool 2

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts

@Lert you're absolutely right, the Glowworm would make a superb hero ship premium. My own suggestion would be the USS Johnston from the defense of Taffy 3 during the battle of Leyte Gulf in 1944. It's a Fletcher class DD...what should have earned everyone on board the Navy Cross, and it's capt the MoH.

[AXANR]
Members
3,647 posts
23,104 battles
On 11/3/2019 at 12:31 PM, Lert said:

Hello and welcome to another thread where I pretend to know what I'm talking about. This time it's about a British destroyer of the G class, in most aspects a sister ship of Gallant which is already in the game. "But Lert," I hear you ask, "I thought you didn't like clones and sisterships?" That is true. Generally I do not see the need for a clone or sister ship as long as there are so many unique designs yet to be introduced. But in this case I think a look at Glowworm is warranted. Not just because of her history but also her implementation.

DQWlnAF.jpg

Why Glowworm, when her sister ship Gallant is already in the game?

Glowworm is known for one particular and spectacular action. Early in 1940, Glowworm was on patrol when she ran across a German convoy on their way to deliver troops for an invasion of Norway. Unfortunately for Glowworm, the ships she encountered were German destroyers Z11 Bernd von Arnim and Z18 Hans Lüdemann. And these destroyers knew something Glowworm didn't. There was another German warship in this small convoy. And as Z11 and Z18 attempted to disengage, they radioed in for help from Big Sister.

nNv2P4W.jpg

And it was Glowworm's actions against the mighty monster that was Admiral Hipper that cemented her place in history. And compared to Glowworm, a monster was what Hipper was. 18.500 tons to Glowworm's 1913 ton, 8x 8" rifles to Glowworm's 4x 4.7", 80mm belt with turtle back armor to Glowworm's mere plating, designed to keep weather out rather than shells.

As Hipper opened up with her massive 203mm cannons Glowworm laid smoke in order to obscure herself from Hipper's targeting, but unfortunately for the plucky G class destroyer, Hipper's radar directed range finders were unaffected. After several salvos trying to find the range, Hipper's shells started slamming in to Glowworm, ripping through the thin plating, and rending asunder her radio room, bridge and forward 120mm gun turret. By the time Glowworm emerged from her smoke cloud, these veritable David and Goliath expys were so close that Glowworm could open up with her three remaining 120mm mounts, and open up she did. Further shell impacts from Hipper ripped through the engine room, captains day cabin and finally the mast - and as the latter crashed down it created a short circuit which caused her siren to howl like a banshee.

Lieutenant Commander Gerard Broadmeed Roope of Glowworm turned broadside to Hipper and, at a range of 870 meters, let rip with a salvo of five torpedoes, one full launcher worth - but all five missed, as Captain Helmuth Heye of Hipper had kept her bows towards Glowworm to minimize the risk of torpedoes. A battered Glowworm made steam as much as she could with her damaged engine and turned back into her smoke screen to position herself to empty her second launcher of fish, but Hipper followed her into the smoke. Now within spitting distance of each other, cannons blazing, Roope ordered a rudder hard over and for Glowworm to ram Hipper. She tore in to Hipper's side just abaft the anchor, ripping open the heavy cruiser's hull which took on some 500 tons of water before the leaks could be isolated, and the heavy cruiser survived with minimal damage.

Glowworm however was not so fortunate. The collision tore off her bow and what remained of the little tin can that could was on fire, crew jumping overboard, the ship a mangled mass of steel as she slowly went under.

Ebb5BKJ.jpg

Glowworm in flames, photo taken from Hipper.

Hipper hove to and started rescue operations, rescuing some forty British sailors, although several of those died later of their wounds. One German sailor had fallen overboard upon the collision and was never recovered. Gerard Broadmeed Roope in his exhaustion could not hold on to a rope while being rescued by Hipper, and drowned. Glowworm went down along with 109 of her crew. Helmuth Heye, having been impressed with Roope's bravery, made sure an account of Glowworm's actions made its way to the British Admiralty, and Roope was awarded the first British fighting man to be awarded the Victoria Cross of WWII.

Although Hipper's own accounts only mentioned four torpedoes from Glowworm, photographic evidence of the wreck showed her launchers empty, showing that all ten had been launched.

Wow, ok so ... How could we implement her, make her fun to drive, balanced in her tier and honor that amazing legacy?

For most of Glowworm's implementation I will be sticking to Gallant stats. She'll differ in guns, torpedo loadout and consumables most of all, and I hope that these changes will justify her bump in tier. Anyways, let's get one possible implementation.

Tonnage:

Gallant standard.

• 12000 hitpoints

Armor:

T7 destroyer standard:

• 16mm plating
  • 10mm superstructure
  • 6mm gun mount

Main armament:

• 4x 4.7" QF Mk IX

These are the same guns as on Gallant. However, due to her bump in tier and the relative gun firepower of other ships at T7, I can't find myself giving them the same gun handling stats as Gallant. As such I would give them the following stats:

• 4s reload
  • 12s traverse
  • 85m dispersion
  • 10.2 km base range
  • 1700 HE dmg
  • 8% fire chance
  • 808 m/s velocity
  • 2100 AP dmg
  • 808 m/s velocity

These are basically Jervis shells on guns with Gallant's firing range and dispersion, but with buffed reload and traverse. This still doesn't make her a gun boat really, but at least more comfortable gunnery than Gallant.

Auxilliary armament:

Gallant standard:

• 2x 4 12.7mm mounts

Not really worth talking about.

Torpedoes:

Ah, now we come to the major difference between Glowworm and Gallant. Where most of the G class destroyers carried two sets of quadruple tube torpedo launchers, Glowworm was fitted with two quintuple sets. This gives her a heavier broadside of fish than Gallant, and is the main reason I bumped her up a tier. For simplicity's sake I'll give her Jervis fish:

• 2x 5 533mm
  • 120s reload
  • 15733 dmg
  • 59 knots
  • 7 km range

On Jervis these are mediocre, but it is my belief that with Glowworm's smaller profile and better stealth, these torpedoes are more useful than on Jervis. Furthermore, their short range helps cement Glowworm as a high octane, close proximity play style that befits her legacy.

If these are too underpowered, one might consider Lightning's torpedoes. The ubiquitous Mk IXs, with their 8km range, 15433 damage and 61 knot speed. However, I don't think that will be necessary owing to her concealment, consumables and a special surprise I am baking in to her camouflage.

These torpedoes can single fire of course.

Maneuverability:

Gallant standard:

• 36 knots
  • 540m turning radius
  • 3x rudder shift

These stats combined with the Royal Navy acceleration buff and turning speed buff makes Glowworm one wiggly little bastard.

Concealment:

These numbers are with mounted premium camouflage, before skills. I'll give her a small concealment bonus over Gallant, to help with her playstyle.

• 6km by sea
  • 2.4km by air
  • 2.4km smoke firing penalty

This makes her a reasonably stealth little ship at tier 7.

Consumables:

• Damage Control Party
  • Royal Navy Destroyer Smokes
  • Royal Navy Destroyer Hydro
  • Speed Boost

Whaaaaaat? Speed boost on a Royal Navy Destroyer!? Yes. I've given her speed boost to help make her stand out and further emphasize the intended play style. With her enhanced stealth, speed boost and Royal Navy short range - long duration hydro and short duration - short cooldown smokes she really is a ship that is played at the front. Her heavy torpedo broadside helps with that. Plus, there's still a surprise that I'm planning for the camouflage section. Speaking of ...

Camouflage:

Normally this section comes near the end, but since I am giving her a very special bonus in her camouflage I figured I'd move this section up to before play style.

xer6nfC.png

Personally I don't think she ever wore anything but the standard Royal Navy gray, but I could be mistaken. As for bonuses:

• -3% concealment
  • +4% enemy dispersion
  • -10% post battle service cost
  • +50% XP
  • -20% damage received when ramming
  • +50% damage done when ramming

That's right. I'm giving her a free Hotel Yankee signal baked into her camo. Why? Because it's fun. Plus, it would stack with the actual Hotel Yankee, which - depending on WG's math - would either give her a 24k (HP + (50% + 50%)) or a 27k ((HP +50%) +50%) ramming damage potential, and taking at least 40% less ramming damage in return. This would make Glowworm into a little terror that would basically just run over other destroyers and be a serious threat to cruisers even if the captain decides to ram.

And it is that, combined with her consumable suite and concealment bonus that I think would make what's basically a Gallant with some additional fish suitable for tier 7.

PzlsQC3.png

Gerard Broadmeed Roope's final order, 1940, colorized.

Upgrades:

T7 standard.

• 4 slots, up to the 1 million option

Playstyle:

You're small, everyone else has more firepower than you, but you're fast, plucky and have some very neat tricks up your sleeve. The combination of short duration short reload smokes and short range long duration hydro makes you a potent cap contester. Although your gun firepower is lacking, you have a relatively heavy - if short ranged - torpedo armament. And your torpedoes are extra flexible with the Royal Navy single fire ability. Your concealment and Royal Navy maneuverability buffs make you a slippery opponent and a built-in Hotel Yankee that stacks with an actual Hotel Yankee is a recipe for utter hilarity should the right opportunity present itself.

Elephant in the room:

This is not an easy destroyer to play. Normally I'm not a fan of balancing by gimmicks, but in this case I don't really feel like I had much of a choice. A 25% heavier torpedo loadout than Gallant basically necessitated a tier bump, so she needed some additional buffs and bonuses to fully fit at tier 7. A benefit of this is that she wouldn't compete with Gallant for T6 Royal Navy destroyer sales. I'm still not sure I've given her potent enough offense, and I don't think there's realistically any room left in her guns to further massage, leaving just the torpedoes as balancing tool. But that would push her more towards torpedo boat than she's already leaning, which makes it more difficult to use her as a captain trainer for what is in essence a line of gunboat destroyers.

Still, 27k potential ramming damage. In a smol lolibote. You could run over a Khabarovsk with that, or rip more than 50% off of a Hipper.

ImYhLCl.gif

So in short:

Pros:

• Ramming hilarity
  • Sealthy
  • Broad set of consumables
  • Flexibility

Cons:

• Smol hitpoint pool
  • Smol gun firepower
  • Too reliant on gimmicks

What would she cost, if implemented at Tier 7?

About $35, including port slot

In closing:

Thank you for reading this, and thanks to @LittleWhiteMouse for being my sounding board and offering some ideas for this little piece of writing.

Sources used:

Reveal hidden contents

World of Warships

Wikipedia

I'd buy this. I love British DDs anyway, and I'd have hilarious memery with this ship. 

[WOLFC]
[WOLFC]
Members
846 posts
7,138 battles
On 11/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, Cheeezzy said:

Oh god no! WG logic will dictate that they then find ways to put this new consumable on new lines of Cruisers and Battleships. I'm surprised they haven't given any BB line a one-puff short duration smokescreen yet, and that so far no tech tree BB line has defensive AA fire (but perhaps the Italian BB line will have this feature, as an indirect nerf to their AA and as a nod to early WW2 historical accuracy)