You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Rawhide

Any tech treee cruisers worth playing at tier nine?

46 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
957 posts

I am only talking about non Premium ships.  I haven't had much luck with cruisers at tier nine.  Seems like they are just credit, time sucks on your way to ten.  Are there any tech tree cruisers worth playing?  I've tried the French and British - hated them both.  

[1984]
Members
4,301 posts
21,105 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I am only talking about non Premium ships.  I haven't had much luck with cruisers at tier nine.  Seems like they are just credit, time sucks on your way to ten.  Are there any tech tree cruisers worth playing?  I've tried the French and British - hated them both.  

No. Only tech tree dds at that tier are (relatively) worth playing.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,358 battles

The only one I've liked so far is the Roon.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Members
1,660 posts

I enjoyed the Ibuki and Dmitri Donskoi.  Both had their limitations, but if played to their strengths, they can terrorize an opposing fleet.

I haven't tried the French line yet, but if you didn't enjoy that line, you might not enjoy the IJN line or Ibuki either.  From what I understand the game play is similar between the two lines.

The Dmitri Donskoi has a frustratingly slow reload, but the salvos can wreck opposing ships and Adrenaline Rush can help.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,085 posts
9,364 battles

I would suggest the Saint Louis, but you already tried it. If you didn't like Saint Louis you'll probably also dislike Ibuki. Roon is okay, but a bit boring compared to the T10s.

Members
1,660 posts
12 minutes ago, pikohan said:

The only one I've liked so far is the Roon.

Oh yeah!  Forgot about the Roon!  The Roon was fun and excellent at kitting on the flanks.  Had some really good battles in her once I figured out you needed to wiggle her aft at the red fleet in her.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,427 posts
27,347 battles
2 minutes ago, MasterDiggs said:

I would suggest the Saint Louis, but you already tried it. If you didn't like Saint Louis you'll probably also dislike Ibuki. Roon is okay, but a bit boring compared to the T10s.

The Roon is like the love child between the Hindenburg and the Nurnberg.  It has the good guns of the Hindy, but the turret layout of the N-berg (and K-berg).  The turret layout is good for a kiting cruiser, but not so good for hunting DDs, because you have to open up your broadside to get more than one turret on a target that you're trying to close on.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,253 posts
12,276 battles
18 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

They are all awesome, but they all play very very differently. The saint -Louis is one of my favorites, but it’s not easy and you want a high point captain. She’s a sniper and fire starter. Got to keep wasd hack up always. That’s what makes her fun. (She has balls hanging off the stern of her ship for a reason). 

The roon is easier to play. She’s like a scorpion, anything within the 6km will get stung. The ibuki is a great ship, plays like a ninja that is good at kiting. 

T9 is definitely a cruiser tier. 

Members
3,797 posts
13,737 battles

Played them all over the past year. Generally performed alright in them. But I prefer cruisers so I won't give any specifics.

[CNO]
Members
6,061 posts
18,506 battles

For some reason, I do very well in Seattle and do pretty good in Neptune.  I think a good bit of top tier anything is figuring out what ship fits your play style, and work it.  Or, if you like several styles, figuring out which ones to play to cater to the style you wish to play.

Members
1,578 posts
22,927 battles
14 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

For some reason, I do very well in Seattle and do pretty good in Neptune.  I think a good bit of top tier anything is figuring out what ship fits your play style, and work it.  Or, if you like several styles, figuring out which ones to play to cater to the style you wish to play.

I think that's the important part and possibly hardest part of this game. Learning and understanding where ships fit in with playstyles in the game or learning the playstyles and how they interact with different situations/other ships in game.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,408 posts
14,073 battles
56 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

I had a great time in the Ibuki.

I think I could get to like the Donskoi, but I stripped it of its captain to serve on Smolensk.

My current grind is the Saint Louis...I like it, but it doesn’t offer much beyond what the Charles Martel gives, except for the heal. Well, gun range, too - you get access to the T9 upgrade slot and the choices it has. Because it has the same number of consumable slots as Martel, and the heal takes up one, you have to give up something the Martel had.

I did well in Buffalo, but considered it forgettable.

Seattle? Sucks cattle.

Roon? Decent ship, but the one front turret and two rears makes kiting its best role, and you have to be willing to embrace that role.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Comment about Saint Louis gun range

[5IN]
Members
2,106 posts
10,138 battles

I liked both Buffalo and Seattle.  Ibuki wasn't bad, nor was Neptune.

Hated Roon, Saint-Louis and Donskoi and ended up FXPing past them.  

What works for some, doesn't work for others.  You just gotta find a groove and roll with it.  

Good luck mate.

B

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,266 posts
27,597 battles

I still play Donskoi, she is awesome! Heal and Radar. What’s not to love? 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,855 posts
26,383 battles

I wouldn’t play Neptune (or for that matter Minotaur,) even if WG gave them to me for free. RN light cruisers were the biggest stinking pile of offal in the game, to me, until the Italian’s and their even lamer SAP came along.

51 minutes ago, loco_max said:

Did somebody named the Buffalo? Great fire power, great AA, a fun CA!

Buffalo and Roon I at least liked, as opposed to outright hating everything that led up to them.

[SIM]
Members
5,365 posts
8,845 battles

They all seem pretty effective, but they’re a diverse lot and you really need to find the one that agrees with your playstyle. 

Edited by SkaerKrow

[POP]
Members
4,637 posts
12,280 battles

My first t9 cruiser was Donskoi, and I was honestly expecting to not like it based on reports from other players and planned on selling it once I got to Moskva (even though I kept the t6-8 cruisers). But once I got a few battles in it, I really enjoyed it since it still had the annoy-everything-in-range-with-constant-fire playstyle that I liked in Shchors and Chapy, but felt a little tankier than the CLs before and had torps that you could actually use without having to completely suicide into one ship.

Much more recently I finished my USN CA grind and absolutely loved Buffalo despite a lot of the negativity surrounding it. It did take a little getting used to the slower turret traverse until I got enough points on the captain for EM, but it’s basically a Baltimore a tier higher that hurts the enemy even more (and finally gets a heal, my one big wish for Baltimore and t8 cruisers in general).

As others have said, some will feel kind of meh to you, some will feel very strong. Most of them are quite decent but it just comes down to what playstyle you enjoy and what ships you feel comfortable in. Donskoi is still a longer range support ship like the rest of the line but can push in when needed, Buffalo is a cruiser hunter that can easily fight battleships and destroyers in a pinch when needed, Saint Louis and Ibuki are more about flanking the enemy to set up crossfires (and hunting DDs with your stealth and HE alpha for Ibuki), and Roon is designed as a kiter. Seattle and Neptune will normally push closer to caps under cover of islands to support DDs with killing enemy DDs and providing utility, especially for Seattle.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,131 posts
24,479 battles

None.  Tier IX Tech Tree Cruisers are pretty terrible and serve as a pay wall for Tier X.

Every Tier IX Ranked Season has shown the value of Tier IX Tech Tree Cruisers, i.e. sh*t.

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/season/index.html

Tier VII Cruisers are pretty good for their tier.

Tier VIII Cruisers improve but are terrible for High Tier battles (no Repair Party).

Tier IX Cruisers get standard access to Repair Party finally but you definitely feel the heat in Tier X battles.  They just aren't up to snuff.  Some like Neptune have inexplicably worse values compared to their Tier VIII predecessor or Tier X successor.

Tier X Cruisers are the Promised Land.

When was the last time you heard of anybody proclaiming any Tier IX Tech Tree Cruiser being OP or difficult to deal with? :Smile_trollface:

Answer, NONE.

Tier IX Ranked Seasons really drove that point home.

People play Tier IX Cruisers because they're grinding and trying to get to the Tier X Cruiser, because they don't have the FreeXP to simply skip past it.  Nobody willingly stays playing with a Tier IX Cruiser after they get the Tier X.

Roon is pretty good, but why play her more when you got Hindenburg?

Saint-Louis is pretty good, but why play her when you got Henri IV?

Keep playing Ibuki after you got Zao? :Smile_veryhappy:

Keep playing Dmitri Donskoi after you got Moskva?

Keep playing Buffalo, Seattle after you got Des Moines, Worcester?

You got to be stupid to keep playing the Tech Tree Tier IX Cruiser if you can avoid it altogether.  That should be another "tell" in how good they are.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,253 posts
12,276 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Every Tier IX Ranked Season has shown the value of Tier IX Tech Tree Cruisers, i.e. sh*t.

ships that thrive in randoms can fail in ranked. the difference being the size of the battle and the ability to disengage. not all the cruisers suffered in t9 ranked, but they were harder to play than BBs.  

[WOLF3]
Members
28,131 posts
24,479 battles
2 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

ships that thrive in randoms can fail in ranked. the difference being the size of the battle and the ability to disengage. not all the cruisers suffered in t9 ranked, but they were harder to play than BBs.  

They're still pretty sh*t even in Randoms.  As I said in my post: 

"When was the last time you heard of anybody proclaiming any Tier IX Tech Tree Cruiser being OP or difficult to deal with?"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

Some may not like it but I love Buffalo, you just have to kit it a bit different and you can do some funny things. 

shot-19.11.03_04.01.29-0069.jpg

• Cool 1