You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Thunder_Feet

Yamato build: Good, bad, or meh?

38 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles

Today I spent like, well, a drunken sailor - I had enough XP on Amagi to research Izumo, and enough FXP to skip Izumo and get Yamato and still have 10k FXP left for those little things that come up.

I spent a lot of my Dubs on the permanent camo (the lowest price one, has the same game benefits) and buying the retraining for my Captain.  The others in my IJN BB line I did with ECXP combined with the 200k credits apiece.

So here's the build I chose, using the Wiki advice mitigated by my own choices - I mostly play Co-op currently, since I have been playing a relatively short time calendar-wise but I do play every ship every day, almost without exception - a benefit of being retired.  When I feel that I'm not going to be a liability to the teams, I'll start doing more Randoms at least with select ships, probably mostly BBs at first, with a cruiser or two I like too.  Here's the Yamato build:

14 point Captain (a few days from 15):  Preventive Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, and Concealment Expert.  Will add Incoming Fire Alert in a few days with that 15th point.

Upgrades: Aux 1, Damage 1, Aiming 1, Damage 2, Concealment 1, Secondary 2.

Signals on Auto-supply:  November Echo Setteseven, Mike Yankee Soxsix, India Delta, Juliet Yankee Bissotwo, and India Yankee.  I resupply with credits from the Armory when the levels get low, since I am saving coal for a ship, plus some come in from containers (I usually get all 3 containers every day and always get Resources).

So I didn't go for the longest range of the guns because I don't want to be that guy who sits way back and snipes.  I think the Yamato has awesome secondary potential so I tried to do a "cautious" secondary build, because I seem to do well with secondaries against DDs and CLs in my other BBs, and secondary builds help AA a little too.  I did some survivability stuff at the expense of pure offense, and that includes the concealment because people tend to focus down Montanas and Yamatos, I've noticed.

I'm interested in hearing from other Yamato players, what you think - right track, big errors, or maybe just "whatever floats your boat"?

Meanwhile, I'm off to enjoy that new ship smell.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,390 posts
4,198 battles

That captain build is far from optimal. Yamato is not the ship to secondary spec, just too many others that do it better and even then it's questionable. So while BFT and AFT aren't useless, there are much better skills. And they don't help with AA either now. PM is OK, IMO PT is the better option at first, but both are nice. IFA is useless on a BB, you can't move fast enough to dodge the incoming. I'd get PT instead, gives you much better info on the situation you're in. CE isn't bad, but I think for Yammy Fire Prevention is better option, people like to shoot you, and even with CE your concealment isn't great. Superintendent is the best T3 skill, because of extra heal.

So I'd say for 15 points you want EM, SI, FP, CE, and PM and PT. Secondaries are fun, but the Yammy isn't the boat to do it in. If you want the best ship, Survival is the way way to go. So that means the secondary upgrade could be swapped for something better, like reload. Remember, Yamato isn't a brawler. The high citadel and slow turrets and rudder prevent that. Your job is to sit back a bit, and blap anyone you see. That's how Yammy plays. Not 20km back, but 12-15 is about right. And optimizing your ability to do that is going to give you the best results.

• Cool 2

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles

And, I took her co-op for maiden voyage, screen shot of results.  I'm certainly not seeing too much wrong with that.  I was 1 second away from final impact on the CV after doing practically all the damage, but a Cruiser got the final shells in just as my front turrets' salvo was about to strike, 6 shells all would have hit.  Oh, well.  Slow reload is part of the BB game.  I basically lost 2 kills to teammates this trip from what people call "steals" - but I get some that way myself, so it's all good.  :)

World of Warships 11_3_2019 7_54_12 AM.png

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

I would say bad, but your heavy co-op play puts it heavily in the meh category. 

In randoms, saying Yamato has secondary potential is not a correct statement. You have the largest caliber guns in the game (which gives SIGNIFICANTLY more overmatch bonuses than its 3mm lead may suggest) and fantastic survivability characteristics... spec for those over secondaries. 

My captain skills:

PT

EM and AR

BoS and SI

FP and CE

Upgrades:

Main arm mod 1

DCS mod 1

Aiming systems mod 1

DCS mod 2

Concealment

Main Battery mod 2  (Swap to the legendary module once you earn it)

Signals is ul to personal I interpretation, but you want the heal, speed, and ramming flags (for competetive) the most.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles
1 minute ago, AJTP89 said:

That captain build is far from optimal. Yamato is not the ship to secondary spec, just too many others that do it better and even then it's questionable. So while BFT and AFT aren't useless, there are much better skills. And they don't help with AA either now. PM is OK, IMO PT is the better option at first, but both are nice. IFA is useless on a BB, you can't move fast enough to dodge the incoming. I'd get PT instead, gives you much better info on the situation you're in. CE isn't bad, but I think for Yammy Fire Prevention is better option, people like to shoot you, and even with CE your concealment isn't great. Superintendent is the best T3 skill, because of extra heal.

So I'd say for 15 points you want EM, SI, FP, CE, and PM and PT. Secondaries are fun, but the Yammy isn't the boat to do it in. If you want the best ship, Survival is the way way to go. So that means the secondary upgrade could be swapped for something better, like reload. Remember, Yamato isn't a brawler. The high citadel and slow turrets and rudder prevent that. Your job is to sit back a bit, and blap anyone you see. That's how Yammy plays. Not 20km back, but 12-15 is about right. And optimizing your ability to do that is going to give you the best results.

Valid points - OTOH, I think they're maybe best for random, but in co-op, either you go "in" soon or you end up not getting any credits or XP to speak of.  I think if I get ready to do more randoms, I'd go pretty much with what you're saying - and I may change up some things based on your points even for co-op.  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

I would say bad, but your heavy co-op play puts it heavily in the meh category. 

In randoms, saying Yamato has secondary potential is not a correct statement. You have the largest caliber guns in the game (which gives SIGNIFICANTLY more overmatch bonuses than its 3mm lead may suggest) and fantastic survivability characteristics... spec for those over secondaries. 

My captain skills:

PT

EM and AR

BoS and SI

FP and CE

Upgrades:

Main arm mod 1

DCS mod 1

Aiming systems mod 1

DCS mod 2

Concealment

Main Battery mod 2  (Swap to the legendary module once you earn it)

Signals is ul to personal I interpretation, but you want the heal, speed, and ramming flags (for competetive) the most.

Thank you!  What would you do IF you were primarily playing co-op and maybe 2 or 3 randoms a week?  Same, or would you change anything?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,390 posts
4,198 battles
4 minutes ago, Episcopo said:

Valid points - OTOH, I think they're maybe best for random, but in co-op, either you go "in" soon or you end up not getting any credits or XP to speak of.  I think if I get ready to do more randoms, I'd go pretty much with what you're saying - and I may change up some things based on your points even for co-op.  Thank you!

You're right, what I said doesn't completely apply in coop. As you said, it's all about damage, so secondaries aren't terrible. Survivability isn't an issue as the battles are over quick. With that in mind I'd still swap CE (completely useless in coop) for FP (being on fire less is always nice). BFT vs SI is a toss up, personally I don't think BFT helps that much whereas SI is nice for Random. And the reload upgrade does help you fire faster, so that's probably more useful than better secondaries. Basically the Yamato has awesome guns and good survivability, so you want to enhance those aspects. But if you're primarily coop, then things are a bit different. However, if you do want to start playing Random, you really are going to need a different build.

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles

I'll be AFK for a while, got some duties liturgical calling, but I'll respond to further posts later today!

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles
2 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

You're right, what I said doesn't completely apply in coop. As you said, it's all about damage, so secondaries aren't terrible. Survivability isn't an issue as the battles are over quick. With that in mind I'd still swap CE (completely useless in coop) for FP (being on fire less is always nice). BFT vs SI is a toss up, personally I don't think BFT helps that much whereas SI is nice for Random. And the reload upgrade does help you fire faster, so that's probably more useful than better secondaries. Basically the Yamato has awesome guns and good survivability, so you want to enhance those aspects. But if you're primarily coop, then things are a bit different. However, if you do want to start playing Random, you really are going to need a different build.

This reply crossed my last post about AFK, but good point on CE.  I'll swap that for FP straight away and perhaps a couple other tweaks... thanks again!

[187]
Members
1,632 posts
12,431 battles
45 minutes ago, Episcopo said:

Today I spent like, well, a drunken sailor - I had enough XP on Amagi to research Izumo, and enough FXP to skip Izumo and get Yamato and still have 10k FXP left for those little things that come up.

I spent a lot of my Dubs on the permanent camo (the lowest price one, has the same game benefits) and buying the retraining for my Captain.  The others in my IJN BB line I did with ECXP combined with the 200k credits apiece.

So here's the build I chose, using the Wiki advice mitigated by my own choices - I mostly play Co-op currently, since I have been playing a relatively short time calendar-wise but I do play every ship every day, almost without exception - a benefit of being retired.  When I feel that I'm not going to be a liability to the teams, I'll start doing more Randoms at least with select ships, probably mostly BBs at first, with a cruiser or two I like too.  Here's the Yamato build:

14 point Captain (a few days from 15):  Preventive Maintenance, Expert Marksman, Basic Firing Training, Advanced Firing Training, and Concealment Expert.  Will add Incoming Fire Alert in a few days with that 15th point.

Signals on Auto-supply:  November Echo Setteseven, Mike Yankee Soxsix, India Delta, Juliet Yankee Bissotwo, and India Yankee.  I resupply with credits from the Armory when the levels get low, since I am saving coal for a ship, plus some come in from containers (I usually get all 3 containers every day and always get Resources).

So I didn't go for the longest range of the guns because I don't want to be that guy who sits way back and snipes.  I think the Yamato has awesome secondary potential so I tried to do a "cautious" secondary build, because I seem to do well with secondaries against DDs and CLs in my other BBs, and secondary builds help AA a little too.  I did some survivability stuff at the expense of pure offense, and that includes the concealment because people tend to focus down Montanas and Yamatos, I've noticed.

I'm interested in hearing from other Yamato players, what you think - right track, big errors, or maybe just "whatever floats your boat"?

To me personally you are on the right path but there really is only two patha to build these ships out well and that is for passive or aggressive play. Concealment to me on a BB is worthless if you plan on attacking anyone. Why try to even think of hiding in the most powerful BB ever built. Pick a path and go with it whole heartedly. Either your goung to snipe or your going to be what the Yamato was meant to be and that is the tip of the spear. Granted if you happen to find yourself alone you will beed to adjust your tactics. I am specialized secondaries on all my BBs along with RDF in place of concealment. Dont forget to master your spotter plane in your BBs. 

Members
602 posts
7,510 battles

RDF is really nice to have on a pushing BB. I love it on my Bart and find it indispensable. DD's don't like it when you know where they are and can try and advance load HE especially in a BB

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,221 posts
8,341 battles
33 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

My captain skills:

PT

EM and AR

BoS and SI

FP and CE

This is pretty much the optimal captain build for every BB in the game.

[PVE]
Members
4,645 posts
20,517 battles
8 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Yamato is mainly a Co-op ship in today's meta...

With her just a standard BB build will do ...

This is a valid point and my Yammy is a COOP build with Secondaries....  Who cares who knows you're there.  Who cares whom can see you???  Stopping fires and brawling are COOP.  Now, I have screwed up and forgot to select COOP on occasion and ended up in a random match;........and, TBH, it made no difference at all....   I just kept enough angle on where I could expect damage from and stayed with the pack......  It killed and detonated ships on the opposite of the freaking map anyway.  The Yammy is long overdue for a buff since they nerf her with some very quietly done hit box changes a while back when they changed the drawings on her......

Each nation should have a very competitive ship at theirs 9 and 10.....  It's time for the IJN to get their turn at being monsters again....  IMO, the Izumo needs to be retired and a new tier 9 designed and fielded.....  GLHF.

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles

And, I forgot about the end of Daylight Savings, so I had another hour before I go AFK.  I'm taking all this in and making decisions!  It seems to be a consensus that I get rid of the Concealment, however, and it makes a lot of sense, so that will definitely go.  I'll make the change when I decide on the other Cap'n skills because I don't want to spend too many more Dubs tweaking the build!  :)

[WORX]
Members
11,371 posts
19,183 battles
12 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

The Yammy is long overdue for a buff

Oh no.... That is how power creep happens...

Nerf every other BB down one notch down from the Yammy... High tiers have a terrible power creep problem for all ship classes

Edited by Navalpride33

[PVE]
Members
4,645 posts
20,517 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Oh no.... That is how power creep happens...

Nerf every other BB down one notch down from the Yammy... High tiers have a terrible power creep problem for all ship classes

Wait, so they nerf'd the Yammy and everyone else gets to be OP.....?  Think of it this way:  the Yamato was a real ship and the many other OP BB's were dreams....  Each nation's tier 10's should be seriously dangerous and somewhat balanced.... 

I'm of the opinion that "balance" is what makes any FPS "viable".  And, to be honest, I'm not playing Randoms anymore because of the silliness of creating OP "stuff" that sells versus a reasonable balance where we can literally fight it out with some skill and some luck being the determining factor: not that one ship is "that much more powerful.."   

• Confused 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,362 battles

Secondary build is fine for coop (that being said Yamsecs are mediocre at best), but otherwise do the standard BB build. 

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles

OK, made my changes, which will stick for at least a week or two, can't spend more Dubs.  :)

Changed Concealment Expert for RDF, and AFT for Fire Prevention.  3 point changed from Basic Firing Training to Superintendent.  Module changed from Concealment to Enhanced Detection, taking the advice about concealment in a BB is wasted.

Now it's def time to take care of spiritual matters, then I'll come back and take her for another spin or two and let you know.  Thanks again, all!

NB:  On the "buff" discussion, maybe a tad bit of turret rotation buff would be reasonable, but I don't think we should upset the apple-cart. 

[NG-NL]
Members
6,251 posts
10,088 battles

Yamato's secondaries, even w/ full sec build, don't fire enough now to be worthwhile. I'd just go survival build in Random.

Co-op you can go secondary build for lolz.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,410 posts
14,089 battles
58 minutes ago, Episcopo said:

And, I forgot about the end of Daylight Savings, so I had another hour before I go AFK.  I'm taking all this in and making decisions!  It seems to be a consensus that I get rid of the Concealment, however, and it makes a lot of sense, so that will definitely go.  I'll make the change when I decide on the other Cap'n skills because I don't want to spend too many more Dubs tweaking the build!  :)

Given your predilection for co-op battles, it may be non-applicable to suggest this to you, but if you have played or can play a clan battle, there are still a couple of days of the free captain skill reset period left.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

I went with secondary build that leaves out Manual secondaries on Yamato not only to keep DDs from coming in to point blank range torpedo me, and to buff the AA, but also surprisingly enough it sets fires on CAs and BBs as well. Not too bad considering AA was really major concern with how big of a target Yamato is for planes to hit. But with BFT, AFT, and premium catapult fighters CV a players tend to get the message my Yamato is not a free kill for them. And it’s hilarious watching DDs start having to take wild evasive action with all the secondary gun shells that start flying at them followed by main battery shells.

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,221 posts
8,341 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Yamato is mainly a Co-op ship in today's meta...

With her just a standard BB build will do ...

Huh?

1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

The Yammy is long overdue for a buff since they nerf her with some very quietly done hit box changes a while back when they changed the drawings on her......

Wha...?

I mean, if you want to buff the Yamato I won't complain (cause I'm biased), but the ship is incredibly strong right now...

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
Members
431 posts
15,505 battles

Well, I'm sort of finding I just do better with secondary builds in Co-op, but I don't want to overdo, perhaps a few things less than ideal for co-op in order to have acceptable config for randoms and ranked.  I will figure it out.  And I agree - the secondary builds keep the destroyers at enough distance to anticipate torps and "pre-evade" - and sinks a few of them, and low health CLs, too.  I will leave things be for now, until I get more empirical data - that said, I really appreciate the thoughtful answers I am getting.

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,268 posts
9,843 battles
4 hours ago, Episcopo said:

Secondaries in IJN are as pointless their AA. Don't spec in it. Yamato is perhaps the worst BB to use secondaries in because secondaries require your ship to show either a 30 to 45 degree angle from bow so they fire or basically broadside..both are death sentences to the IJN-hate code designed citadel layout. If a DD is near you, you should be pointing your bow at it to avoid the torpedoes...giving it your broadside to let secondaries shoot it is just you eating his full torp salvo. 

I cannot tell you how many times a Yamato has angled its bow slightly let his secondaries fire and I nailed his citadel multiple times in a salvo as a token of my appreciation. 

Finally, Yamato can only function as a mid range or long range sniper. At close range its horrid turret rotation, IJN hate code filled citadel layout (particularly bow part) and the fact that you're the only ship type in the game that cannot depress your guns below 2.5km AND your guns overpen everyone and their grandma even at long ranges (at close you will overpen even a BB citadel..its retarded) means that up close not only are you most vulnerable defensively but also the least effective offensively. 

Remember this too: The moment you 'push' means your cheek citadels will be easy to hit by any BB at any range that is not directly in front of you. Yamato CANNOT push if there are hostile BBs there..it will die quickly and horribly. 

Sniper is really the only viable function this ship has left... and due to the IJN hate code it has in its guns you are already significantly out-performed in the long range damage department by the cruiser Yoshino. (heck if I could have Yamato hull with Yoshino guns.. id be so happy). 

Sniper build:

Captain Skill:

Tier 1: Preventative Maintenance, Expert Loader

Tier 2: Jack of All Trades, Expert Marksman and Adrenaline Rush

Tier 3: Superintendent. 

Tier 4: Fire Prevention, Concealment Expert

Upgrades:

Damage Control Party Mod 1, Damage Control Systems 1, Aiming Systems, Stearing Gears, concealment and the final one is your choice: +gun range or +refire rate or legendary module of +accuracy. 

The last upgrade is up to your playstyle. I've found the legendary module to be mostly garbage as you dont really get any better accuracy... your vertical dispersion is not affected by the module so you will still miss the same amount of shells at very long range. Refire rate boost does up the damage output especially when it stacks with adrenaline rush..you can get I believe 22 second reloads. +Range is the one ive found most useful for the sniper build.. if you have a CV or DDs that know their job is to spot and flank torp not dumb-gunboat in smoke then you can pull some amazing damage by plinking CVs and BBs in the far back from early on in the game....and at very long ranges you do get an INCREASE in citadel hits because the shells are plunging fire. Nothing is better than seeing a red BB or CV gawk in horror as you land citadels on it from over 30k (using spotter plane on top).