Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

Early W.I.P. Review Of New Double Tier Russian Premium Battleship

19 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,930 posts
23,743 battles

Well its been a long hiatus from early reviewing W.I.P. ships for WG but I'm back for a brand new double tier Russian Premium Battleship. 

But first a disclaimer or 2 before start.

1. For those Russian Fanboys / Fangirls or Fanpersons and or Snowflakes or Snowflakets ( 2019 YO diversity and inclusion counts these days ) may be a bit unhappy with my review so be aware.

2. AS THIS IS A NEW UNIQUE DOUBLE TIER SHIP  SHE IS STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS AND STATISTICS AND PERFORMANCE DISCUSSED HERE  MAY CHANGE.

Before we get started what's this double tier ship all about, well if anyone has the HSF Harekaze they know it is a 3 hull ship with 3 different gun configurations well WG has gone even further in a new era of style of ship.

It was announced back in October 2019 by @Umbaretz that a tier 8 Premium Russian battleship The Borodino would be designed however this ships origins begin back in April 2018 or earlier as a April fool ship but now with WG ingenuity they present a new Russian tier 2 / 8 Premium Battleship.

How will it work well its the same way you change gun configurations on Harekaze but instead the entire ships looks and weapons and internals change to the tier you want to play.

Image result for wows borodino

Tier 2 or Borodino A as we will call it.

Tier 8 or Borodino B

Yes a new era has begun so that the community can play 1 ship in high and low Tiers.

lets get some background on both ships first before we get into the crux of the ships workings.

Firstly most gamers here would know at least some idea about the tier 2 version of the ship, it being a Pre-Dreadnought Battleship with many books and internet pages with details about the ship and the class.

The Tier 8 ship is another story though the WG developer has so far given us only the briefest description of the ship and I quote " Post-war project of small battleship for the Baltic sea. Armed with two turrets with three 406 mm guns from the battleship Sovetsky Soyuz."

Search as I a may for details on the net for the design and details or history of the design I seem to come up with very little apart from this.

Firstly

The Borodino class battle Cruiser 1912

Secondly

Image result for borodino ship

This ship some sought of tanker I think then again it could be the ship my eyes are not that good these days.

Try as hard as I could to find any information on this Baltic design ship one can only think that this is a case of someone finding another shoe box full of paper ship drawings from under Comrade Stalin's bed during a spring cleaning session and sending them to the maritime museum for prosperity sake which intern due to some staffer and enthusiastic gaming fan informing LESTA of said paper drawings 70 plus years later, so exciting I must say.

So now lets get into the this new style double tier ship with my thoughts on both versions.

Sadly for me and the community ship game play for both tiers is at either end of spectrum as I enjoyed one version and loathed the other as did the players I played against.

WORK IN PROGRESS

Borodino A ( tier 2 )

PROs

Good armour

Great secondaries

Above water torpedo tubes

excellent HE

CONs

Short range main guns

woeful dispersion

Slow speed

Slow turning  turret speed  

I thoroughly enjoyed playing the ship it was a historical ship with all the faults of the era it will be a great match for the IJN MIkasa.

Now for the bad

Borodino B ( tier 8 )

PROs

Its a Russian High Tier BB ( 2019 Russian Meta YO )

100 mm Bow armour

500 mm deck and belt armour

AP resistant

HE resistant

90 % torpedo protection

30km main gun firing range

20 km secondary firing range

Speed 50 knots forward, 35 knot reverse

Turret turning time 10 seconds

Main Gun reload time 3 seconds

Laser guided accurate dispersion

AA range 20 km with blanket protection

Destroyer like turning circle

Detection range 3 km

Borodino B ( tier 8 )

CONs

Its a Russian High Tier BB ( 2019 Russian Meta YO )

100 mm Bow armour

500 mm deck and belt armour

AP resistant

HE resistant

90 % torpedo protection

30km main gun firing range

20 km secondary firing range

Speed 50 knots forward, 35 knot reverse

Turret turning time 10 seconds

Main Gun reload time 3 seconds

Laser guided accurate dispersion

AA range 20 km with blanket protection

Destroyer like turning circle

Detection range 3 km

Sadly the gap between reality and or historical design and balance seems to be widening with fantasy these days with Russian ships but hey its 2019 Russian meta all you have to do is " Click your heels 3 times and say 'There's no place like home' and you'll be there." 

This ship is terrible, hopefully as more info comes back from testing WG will do some major balance work for the tier 8 version, one can only hope. 

regards

Spoiler

Disclaimer the author of this post wishes to note that this post in fact is a product of humour, well mostly :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Confused 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,455 posts
4,200 battles

I'm pretty sure this is a joke, but there's a small part of me that's saying this is something WG would dream up.

• Boring 1

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

When a decent attempt at humor still has you thinking......hmm, if its Russian, it's not out of the realm of possibility...

[WOLF5]
Members
1,247 posts
9,747 battles

So the Tier VIII lacks radar....sad....

• Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,004 posts
35,362 battles
1 hour ago, HMS_Hoodwink said:

Let me guess - the main guns fire the angry, screaming corpse of Stalin himself?

Nope Lenin

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts
46 minutes ago, fbrrhd said:

Nope Lenin

Nah, they have him stuffed and on display in the Kremlin. All the good little communists pray to him to redistribute other people's stuff to them for May Day.

[VVV]
Members
2,745 posts
5 hours ago, tm63au said:

The Tier 8 ship is another story though the WG developer has so far given us only the briefest description of the ship and I quote " Post-war project of small battleship for the Baltic sea. Armed with two turrets with three 406 mm guns from the battleship Sovetsky Soyuz."

Search as I a may for details on the net for the design and details or history of the design I seem to come up with very little apart from this.

From Xero_Snake's proposal 3 years ago for a Soviet battlecruiser line (his idea being not unlike how supercruisers ended up implemented, but non-premium):

On 4/3/2016 at 11:47 AM, Xero_Snake said:

Tier X: Project TsNII-45 – Variant III+III-4 [Vladivostok] (likely not be selected)

Hide contents

FzI2bhn.jpg

Hide contents

pX6cM1g.png

In between 1951 and 1952, Chief Designer of Project 69 – B.E. Bespolov and a naval theorist – Executive-Vice Admiral (Ret.) Prof. JV. Stavitsky joint proposed Project TsNII-45 light battleship as an economical alternative to Project 24 super-battleship (the latter would potentially supersede Yamato-class as the king of battleship). Over ten design variations by three different propulsion configurations were drafted on the table.

It was suggested that arming ships one-two towers GK (457 or 406 mm) and one medium size (180-220 mm). The latter was intended to weaken the enemy battleship during a rendezvous with him by incapacitate individual hitting explosive projectiles with large distances KDP and artillery radar). The peculiarity of "small" battleships of the type proposed was increased booking nasal tip to ensure that when the most likely course in combat corners (0-28° aboard) protection from 406-mm shells for distances 65-133 cable.

As shown by the completed SP. Stavic-Kim calculations, in most of the possible cases of combat maneuvering enemy battleship failure earlier than at least one of the ships of the Group (two ships with two towers of CC or three ships with one). Best would be considered small battleship with 457-mm artillery, however, since on it, there was almost no technical reserve (except preliminary designs tskb-34), TsNII-45 recommended for further in-depth elaboration of option with five 406-mm guns in two turrets. Displacement and cost of each of these ships will be close to those of heavy cruisers, project 82, which can be built "in sufficient quantity".

From the Project TsNII-45 selection table, Variant III+III-4 would have been an ideal design concept among other selection choices, despite it was officially differed for other choices that were highlighted on the table for studying. Project TsNII-45 – Variant III+III-4 small battleship represents the crown of the battlecruiser line – in which the design has taken the Stalingrad-class to the pinnacle. It is lightly armed and armored than Project 23 – Sovetsky Soyuz and even Project 24 itself, but it is overall better than Project 82 – Stalingrad in exception of being slightly slower. At least her armaments are enough to fight Iowa-class and Vanguard-class of its generation.  Variant III+III-4 stands for 2 x 3 – 406mm main batteries and 4-shaft propulsion of 70,000 shp each to achieve a total 280,000 shp similar to Stalingrad-class. When Stalin died in 1953, this project died along with Project 24 and Project 82 – Stalingrad.

In addition, six twin 130 BL-109A DP guns were considered to add-on for additional secondary and AA firepower, since this is associated with Project 82. Who knows if there may be more design variations that weren’t published in books, similar to the case for Project 65 – Dimitri Donskoy, which in fact had over 40 design variations compared to what was published.

Hide contents

DPZFiWF.png 

Displacement:-
49,100 tons (standard)
Not more than 60,000 tons on full load

Dimensions:-
Length: more than 260 m (depending on the armaments arrangement)
Width: 31.0 m
Draft: 9.0 m

Armor:-
Belt: 180 mm
Upper bulkhead: 300 – 500 mm
Lower bulkhead: 130 – 180 mm
Barbette: 150 – 420 mm
Turrets: 150 – 450 mm
Deck: 50 + 120 + 15 mm
Conning tower: 250 mm

Propulsion system:-
4-shaft TV-4 geared steam turbine engines – 280,000 total shp (4 x 70,000 shp)
12 water-tube boilers

Speed: 34.2 - 34.5 knots

Armaments: -
2 x 3 – 406mm/50 MK-1M main batteries (with max. rate of fire in 2.6 rounds per minute)
1 x 4 – 180mm/57 MK-4-180M-U quad DP gun turret
6 x 2 – 130mm/60 BL-109A twin DP gun mounts
4 x 2 – 57mm/78.7 ZIF-31 twin heavy AA gun mounts
4 x 4 - 57mm/78.9 ZIF-75 quad heavy AA gun mounts

-or-

4 x 4 - 45mm/78 SM-20-ZIF quad heavy AA gun mounts
12 x 4 – 25mm/79 BL-120 quad light AA gun mounts

The T8 BB Borodino that WG is giving us seems to be one of the alternate concepts that was considered for Stalingrad. But as a BB instead of a supercruiser because reasons.

Incidentally it's very unfortunate that all the supercruisers have been premiums instead of having American and Soviet silver lines for them. Maybe Japanese as well if there were any other viable designs from the B-65 project.

Edited by Lord_Magus
  • Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
181 posts
6,722 battles

Thing is, this doesn't sound like that bad of an idea.  I mean...

Take the Tennessee class cruiser.  Have a it be in its otl state as a T3 cruiser, working similar to Mikasa when she is uptiered.  Then you could have it exist in its refitted state, where it could function as a T4/T5 vessel as well.

There's meat on this funny bone, in all honesty.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,930 posts
23,743 battles
5 hours ago, Lord_Magus said:

From Xero_Snake's proposal 3 years ago for a Soviet battlecruiser line (his idea being not unlike how supercruisers ended up implemented, but non-premium):

The T8 BB Borodino that WG is giving us seems to be one of the alternate concepts that was considered for Stalingrad. But as a BB instead of a supercruiser because reasons.

Incidentally it's very unfortunate that all the supercruisers have been premiums instead of having American and Soviet silver lines for them. Maybe Japanese as well if there were any other viable designs from the B-65 project.

Thank you @Lord_Magus for this information quite interesting but the fact that this ship design is of course a 1950''s even more hammers home my point If you didn't already get what the post was really about, but again thank you for doing the hard yards and looking up the details.

The fact that I have zero interest in this mythical magical paper design tier 8 found in some obscure vault in the bowels of a Maritime museum hidden away for so many decades, and is now going to be created when a perfectly designed and built historical REAL ship is being left on the shelf is just SAD. 

And to add insult to injury they are using SAID historical REAL ships name for this FAKE is unjust.

cheers   

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,356 posts
23,792 battles
7 hours ago, MatthewT89 said:

I'm actually more excited for the T2 variant than the T8.

LOL I was thinking the same thing. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this