You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Which Ship For New Year Event?

23 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles

What Ship or ships are predicted to be the New Years warship to be earned in upcoming New Years?

I see a few premium ships currently still in testing phase that have not yet been released so it does make me curious. And while I expect subs to arrive possibly by December at the earliest, it’s more likely we will see them instead within the next 6 months. So I doubt the event ship will be a sub. Hopefully something nice like the year they did Duke of York which I must say I have greatly enjoyed using. The tech tree ships that give us perma Camo, port slots  and credits or a jump start in a ship line are also nice as well.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

Maybe they'll keep the Italian theme going and it'll be Gorizia, it would certainly make sense with 8.10 being the second half of the cruiser launch and hitting this month.

[KWF]
Members
4,958 posts
6,612 battles

Right now the ships at tier VII that could fit such a role are Gorizia, California, Poltava. Since the biggest requirement for a ship to be a reward is to be decidedly meh, all three could qualify.

That said, I expect something else will be announced in the coming days.

Alternatively, maybe WG goes the container route as they did with Anniversary, so any result could be randomized.

Edited by warheart1992

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Right now the ships at tier VII that could fit such a role are Gorizia, California, Poltava. Since the biggest requirement for a ship to be a reward is to be decidedly meh, all three could qualify.

That said, I expect something else will be announced in the coming days.

Alternatively, maybe WG goes the container route as they did with Anniversary, so any result could be randomized.

Tier VII premium ship crate would be interesting, wonder if the 2 dragon ship would be included in the possible ships from the tier 7 premium ship pool?

Or if they did tier VI premium ship crate again that would be ok too as last time in Anniversary I got one of the bad tier VI premiums, so the fact I am hanging onto it means I won’t get it twice. Only a different ship or Doubloons next Tier VI premium ship crate.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

I don't care about the ship as much as I'd like to see a return of the Snowflake event.

• Cool 4

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

I don't care about the ship as much as I'd like to see a return of the Snowflake event.

Yes. Landsraad needs more coal and steel! Landsraad wants Yoshino and Somers!!

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles

My guess is California. So far we've had T6 Graf Spee, T7 Duke of York, T6 Prinz Eitel Friedrich.... California is T7 so it fits, and with the exception of Graf Spee, which is a cruiser with (barely) major-calibre guns, all the others have been battleships. To me, that rules out Gorizia. 

Poltava is possible on a type and tier basis, but we've seen too little of her in testing. Christmas ships in my experience have been wrung out fairly extensively in the public eye before their release, and Poltava doesn't fit that.

1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

This. I won't be able to get Thunderer before then (maybe if I use the coupon), but if it does happen again and T9 tech tree ships bring steel, then I have Seattle researched-but-not-bought (yes she might suck, but it's credits for steel) and I could probably force myself to knuckle down and finish grinding to either Jutland or Lion. Whether I could afford both is another matter, but we shall see.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Honestly I would like to see a mid tier DD of some sort. I have no idea what it would be though. Also bring back the snowflakes.

[USCC2]
Members
6,196 posts
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

What Ship or ships are predicted to be the New Years warship to be earned in upcoming New Years?

I see a few premium ships currently still in testing phase that have not yet been released so it does make me curious. And while I expect subs to arrive possibly by December at the earliest, it’s more likely we will see them instead within the next 6 months. So I doubt the event ship will be a sub. Hopefully something nice like the year they did Duke of York which I must say I have greatly enjoyed using. The tech tree ships that give us perma Camo, port slots  and credits or a jump start in a ship line are also nice as well.

Don't mind really -I just hope the format is similar to last year!

I paid for the PEF and then won her during the event - with all the competition missions rewards etc and the fun in doing those missions, it ended up with the compensation the outlay was about $1.

It was great!

[A-D-F]
Members
2,110 posts
7,630 battles
5 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Don't mind really -I just hope the format is similar to last year!

I paid for the PEF and then won her during the event - with all the competition missions rewards etc and the fun in doing those missions, it ended up with the compensation the outlay was about $1.

It was great!

I did the same.  PEF was awarding 10000 elite captain's xp every week.  That was nice.  She allowed me to dodge that nasty cash grind too.  Worth every cent.

• Cool 1

[TSG4B]
Members
222 posts
6,098 battles

I've been thinking that perhaps it will be the RM Tier VI DD Leone. Here's why...

Italian - fits nicely with the current cruiser arc.

Mid-tier - Previous "free" ship offerings that I've been able to acquire have been the Vampire (Tier III), Duke of York (Tier VII) and Prinz Eitel Friederich (Tier VI).

Development - (And this is the weakest part of my thought process...) The Leone has been caught in development hades for quite some time. IF WG is working on it and trying to get it ready for the holidays, you would think the Super Testers would have seen it, and the Community Contributors would have reported sightings or pre-release reviews... unless it's all being done in-house. 

Capabilities - The last information I saw about the Leone had most definitely placed this DD in the low end of the Mehbote category. There was nothing really outstanding about the ship... guns, torps & concealment was fair, maneuverability and concealment was mediocre, and there was nothing special or gimicy about the consumables.

To get ready for release - The SAP ammunition is already being looked at (and hopefully worked on) according to the notes from the latest PTS server. Add the fuel smoke consumable and re-re-re-balance the rest of the ship... and maybe it could be ready for the holiday events.

Or I could be totally wrong, and WG has something else planned...

Edited by Darksaint1071
Attention to detail

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
954 posts
10,745 battles

Missed almost all of last years snowflake with the birth of a child so I’m looking forward to this year and am stashing cash to buy back some t9 I foolishly sold early on in this game.

[WOLF1]
Members
271 posts
56,052 battles
12 minutes ago, Darksaint1071 said:

I've been thinking that perhaps it will be the RM Tier V DD Leone

Yeah...that would be a good choice. Or, perhaps one of the new British cruisers.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles
18 minutes ago, Darksaint1071 said:

the Vampire (Tier III),

Vampire was not a Christmas ship in the sense the Spee, DOY, PEF were. She was a separate thing. I remember winning her and unlocking the Leander in the process, then trying to get through the DOY missions in the Leander.

5 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

Or, perhaps one of the new British cruisers.

We haven't even seen those being demonstrated by CC's yet. They are nowhere near ready.

20 minutes ago, Darksaint1071 said:

perhaps it will be the RM Tier V DD Leone

Leone is Tier 6.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
271 posts
56,052 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

We haven't even seen those being demonstrated by CC's yet. They are nowhere near ready.

Thanks for the info about CC testing. I was under the impression that they were a bit further along, given that they've identified the ships in the tech tree, and at least one premium. Oh well...I hope we see them in the first half of 2020. 

[TSG4B]
Members
222 posts
6,098 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Leone is Tier 6.

Yeah... just corrected that.

Writing while having my first cup of coffee... "some mistakes will be made" :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFC]
Members
2,007 posts
10,437 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My guess is California. So far we've had T6 Graf Spee, T7 Duke of York, T6 Prinz Eitel Friedrich.... California is T7 so it fits, and with the exception of Graf Spee, which is a cruiser with (barely) major-calibre guns, all the others have been battleships. To me, that rules out Gorizia. 

California would be my bet too. As you said, the tier and class fit. PEF was a bit of an outlier, since she was never completed, but the previous two ships also had a historical tie-in to the time of year. Both DOY and Graf Spee participated in arguably their most famous engagements during this time of the year (the Battle of the North Cape and Battle of the River Plate). California was sunk in December 1941 at Pearl Harbor, and she resumed service in January 1944.

Members
858 posts
6,204 battles

I have said in other posts but the T9 German super cruiser is my bet.

They seem to be planning an elaborate "ship building" event. Doubt they'd do that for a lower tier ship. Plus it aligns nicely with the new German super captain coming out. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,753 posts
15,303 battles

Poltava seems suitably unremarkable and trash.

California must be there to appeal to a large US market and I suspect would be slated as a money maker.

Leone seems possible, but at this point I suspect maybe even WG have forgotten about her... 

Probably not Gorizia - announced too recently.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles
31 minutes ago, Darksaint1071 said:

Writing while having my first cup of coffee... "some mistakes will be made" 

NP mate, I understand and sympathise completely. :cap_tea:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[GRAVE]
Members
1,366 posts
19,536 battles

The Trend for prior Christmas Ships tend to be the following:

1. Mid Tier, T6 or 7 (Emden gets exempt)

2. tend to be a premium of a line released that year or is from a nation that saw a new line added to its tree (PEF gets exempt)

3. is basically meh to garbage and quickly forgotten (Graf Spee gets an exempt, barely)

With that in mind, I'll ranks by best guesses in order from least likely to most likely

California- fits mid tier (T7), but doesn't appear to be garbage, and doesn't fit any lines released this year. Plus, being a US Standard, she will make money, so it may be best if she is best sold in premium shop only

Leone- fits mid tier (T6), is quite bad, and is Italian, but a DD rather than a cruiser. Still, the fact she's Italian doesn't rule her out.

Also worth pointing out that this year there will be a Shipyard feature, but it may be possible we could have directives as well, with rewards for completing them could be parts of the shipyard ship, steel (like last year),  completing all of them could get you Leone, while completing the shipyard could get you...

Paolo Emilio- its very meh form what I've seen, its Italian, but T10, so doesn't fit mid tier at all. Is it possible this could be the shipyard ship? Maybe. Will WG actually allow anyone to get a T10 ship? Well, it wouldn't be the first time they've done some questionable things. so I wouldn't rule out this possibility.

Marceau, T10 FR DD announced at the same time as Puerto Rico but hasn't entered testing. Much like Paolo, but less likely because she hasn't been in testing and on paper she looks overpowered and not something to hand out to anyone.

Gorizia- T7 Italian cruiser, fits perfectly with nation and line, is basically a worse Zara, which is already a fairly meh T7 cruiser, perfect for being the Christmas reward.

Poltava- T7 RU BB, matches criteria as Gorizia, and still rather meh.

Alternatively, with Mainz, Odin, and Admiral Lutjens coming, it would not be impossible that Christmas could be a sort of mini German Celebration, with Directives getting you Mainz, a collection getting you Lutjens and alt colors/second flags for German ships, spend Reichsmarks in the armory for Odin, and the shipyard ship being Siegfried. 

If patch 8.10 comes next week, we will probably know by this weekend what is happening for Christmas, as they normally announce what's coming in the following patch the weekend before a new patch arrives.

• Cool 1